Disney's $1 billion dollar bet on magical wristband - Wired

A well sourced rumor. Marni, Articos, Lee, and Spirit have affirmed it. Let's see...
As I said, these rumors have been around for 2 years. It isn't that I disbelieve it, I don't, I'm just not counting on it until it is public. Until it is public, anything is subject to change.

Which circles back to..if Disney felt like they could realistically charge for it, they would. I'm sure they are aware that there is more than a healthy market of people who would pay for it. So the fact that they aren't doing this already tells me that they can't for some reason...and the only reason I can think of that they *couldn't* do this is a lack of enough capacity in the other 3 parks.

How bout starting with the 2 parks that have tiering, and no *publicly announced* plans for additions.

I'm aware of the rumors for DHS, but they are still just rumors. I was watching a disunplugged podcast from march 2013 and they were talking about these rumors (carsland/star wars.land/renaming the park) then..and yet still no announcements. I'm also aware of the Frozen ride in Epcot - that took the place of another ride, so it isn't an *addition*. The meet and greet is one addition, yes, but meet and greets have much lower capacity than rides do, so one m&g addition won't do much to address epcot's lack of attractions issue.

We all get that and admit that.

How to we get Disney to spend the money is all I am "throwing out there".

We all get that and admit that.

How to we get Disney to spend the money is all I am "throwing out there".

I don't think there is anything guests can do, short of attendance stagnating or decreasing, that would encourage the current executives to do anything more than what they already have planned.

I don't think there is anything guests can do, short of attendance stagnating or decreasing, that would encourage the current executives to do anything more than what they already have planned.

I do believe your correct. And I'm actually fine with it.

I just don't see it happening (lost attendance).

Therefore I see no reason for them to add attractions unless there were to be a way "THEY COULD BE PAID FOR" by someone else, like guests willing to spend "even" more..

Last edited:
I do believe your correct. And I'm actually fine with it.

I just don't see it happening (lost attendance).

Therefore I see no reason for them to add attractions unless there were to be a way "THEY COULD BE PAID FOR" by someone else, like guests.
Caps aren't necessary. I understand what you are saying. Monetize fp+ to make money for the new attractions.

But they need more capacity to monetize fp+. So really, it seems, it would need to add the capacity, then monetize fp+ with the hopes monetizing fp+ would cover the cost of adding the capacity retroactively. I just don't see them doing that.

If they were going to monetize fp+ in its current form, they would have done so already.

As I said, these rumors have been around for 2 years. It isn't that I disbelieve it, I don't, I'm just not counting on it until it is public. Until it is public, anything is subject to change.
Yeah, but even after announcment they can get cancelled. I think that so long as we have some of those guys giving that date we can go from there.

Caps aren't necessary. I understand what you are saying. Monetize fp+ to make money for the new attractions.

But they need more capacity to monetize fp+. So really, it seems, it would need to add the capacity, then monetize fp+ with the hopes monetizing fp+ would cover the cost of adding the capacity retroactively. I just don't see them doing that.

If they were going to monetize fp+ in its current form, they would have done so already.

Yea I'm not saying my suggestion wouldn't require immediate capital provided by WDW-and that could be that, end of story.

I am saying they could have the system set up to "pay back" the construction over time if the wanted to.

Yea I'm not saying my suggestion wouldn't require immediate capital provided by WDW-and that could be that, end of story.

I am saying they could have the system set up to "pay back" the construction over time if the wanted to.
I agree they could if they wanted to. This administration doesn't appear to *want* to. And I don't think there's much guests could do about that.

I agree they could if they wanted to. This administration doesn't appear to *want* to. And I don't think there's much guests could do about that.

We shall see. My "suggestions" are in.

Which is precisely why I am at the " I will believe it when I see it" stage.
I say once we get that group of guys all saying that the seas are clear, we're good and we can credit Disney. As soon as one of those guys raises a red flag? All bets are off. Really a post from Articos is as good as a press release.

I'm of the opinion that Disney might have learned a lesson from the NFLE campaign. Were a significant number of trips postponed until it opened? Do they risk shifting guest bookings when they announce a tentative opening date for a new attraction? Is it better to keep such things hushed until actually ready so as not to impact present attendance?

Universal has been pretty quiet about King Kong. Not that they are keeping it a secret, but they certainly aren't promoting it pre-opening with the same vigor Disney has in the past.

I say once we get that group of guys all saying that the seas are clear, we're good and we can credit Disney. As soon as one of those guys raises a red flag? All bets are off. Really a post from Articos is as good as a press release.

That's your opinion, and that's fine.

Really those wdwmagic guys are pretty amazing. Believe me, they're good.

Let's just say those following over there weren't really surprised by the action on Wilderness Lodge, don't you think @rteetz ?
That's why I follow them over there, then I report it here, a lot of times people don't believe it. Then it's like I told ya so. I do also believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion and with disney it's easy not to believe anything until shovels are moving like lockedout likes to say.

That's why I follow them over there, then I report it here, a lot of times people don't believe it. Then it's like I told ya so. I do also believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion and with disney it's easy not to believe anything until shovels are moving like lockedout likes to say.

It isn't that I don't believe it...I do.believe DHS is getting an expansion. I'm just not treating it as absolute fact until it happens.

It isn't that I don't believe it...I do.believe DHS is getting an expansion. I'm just not treating it as absolute fact until it happens.
I treat it as fact as it will happen it's just who knows when it will happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter