Disney's CONTEMPORARY RESORT Information & Questions

Hoping to stay here in November. Wanting to get a 2 bedroom at the BLT. How far is the walk to the monorail?

Its not too far - you go across the bridge on the 5th floor at BLT which comes out on the 4th floor at the CR. It is a short walk to the elevator or escalators up to the monorail. You'll go through security just before going up to the monorail. It is a very short walk to MK as well from BLT if you are just going to MK. It generally takes less time to walk to MK than to go to the monorail and the ride on the monorail takes more time since you have to go through three stops before getting to the MK. It is fast coming home though since CR is the first stop after MK on the resort loop.

The standard Tower rooms are the same size as the Garden wing rooms. The balcony is a nice place to start the morning on the Bay Lake side. The open atrium just outside of your room is also a plus over the lower ceilings in the tower room. Watching the monorails glide by always entertained the kids.

The elevators can be busy during the morning and evenings when many guests and visitors are all trying use the elevators since the monorail entrance is on the 4th floor. We have never found it longer to wait for the main tower elevators than the walk to the south garden wing or the north wing that was demolished to accommodate the BLT DVC building. Just how many times do you think you would need to go back to your room per day?

Only you can decide if the extra $s are worth spending...

Dave

Thanks for this. See - we don't go back and forth a lot during the day, but we do sometimes let someone (Mostly DH) run to get Mickey waffles and coffee while the rest of us get ready for the day, or pick up a late snack/dinner after we're done with the parks. He just doesn't want to be stuck waiting for an elevator - or being tempted to do a lot of stairs. If it isn't any more time, then it becomes easier to make my argument. :) He is afraid he's going to have to be waiting for everyone else at the same time in the morning - and that we'll then be late to wherever we're going. That's his main concern- when we're going either trying to get to the parks early in the am (we rope drop), or when we're getting back and tired because he feels like "everyone" else will be vying for the same elevators...

The balcony does sound nice... :)

Question about the layout of the CR. MY DD has always wanted to stay here so I booked a split stay in June, 2 nights in the garden wing. So the lobby is on floor 1. Can I take escalators to Chef Mickeys or is an elevator a must too? I know monorail is on the 4th floor, where is Chef Mickeys?

Chef Mickey's is located on the 4th floor aka the Concourse level. Yes, you can take a series of escalators from the lobby level up to the 4th floor. You don't need use the elevators.

The entrance to the Monorail station is on the 4th floor but you take an escalator or elevator up to the Monorail platform ~ the 5th floor level.

Dave

When you book a cabana over the phone, are you assigned a specific one? Or is it assigned when you check in? I was able to reserve one at the feature pool, and I thought she said “feature pool 3” but when I asked this question she said it’s assigned at check-in. If we do actually have #3, does anyone know which one this is (is it a good one to have? lol).

Second question: did I make the right choice reserving the feature pool cabana vs. the quiet pool cabana? We have two little kids, so I assumed being as close as possible to the bigger pool would be ideal since we will be in and out with them, they will want to play at the water spray area, etc.

Third: If I can choose a specific cabana number, which one would be most convenient with little kids?

Question about the layout of the CR. MY DD has always wanted to stay here so I booked a split stay in June, 2 nights in the garden wing. So the lobby is on floor 1. Can I take escalators to Chef Mickeys or is an elevator a must too? I know monorail is on the 4th floor, where is Chef Mickeys?

The lobby is level 1, and the concourse level is level 4, but you only go up 2 escalators. There isn't really a 3rd floor.Well, there is, but you can only access it via elevator. The gym and some admin offices are up there, but it's a level with really low ceilings and no windows, like a hidden level. Its bizarre. We called it the "other dimension" last week when we would go to the gym.

Anyway, getting up to the 4th floor is easiest using the escalators.

Thinking about this resort for my next spring break trip, which is early enough to fall into "regular" instead of "spring" season. Rack rate for the garden wing is lower than the other two monorail resorts, but looks like the discounts have been lower, 15% compared to 25%. Curious what kinds of bargains you all have managed to snag.

Thinking about this resort for my next spring break trip, which is early enough to fall into "regular" instead of "spring" season. Rack rate for the garden wing is lower than the other two monorail resorts, but looks like the discounts have been lower, 15% compared to 25%. Curious what kinds of bargains you all have managed to snag.
Have you looked into renting DVC points and staying in BLT? I’m not sure the price compared to other discounts but when we rented a few years ago before becoming members, it was cheaper to stay at BLT than moderates and some values.

I booked Thanksgiving week through a travel agency that offers agency exclusives for $423/night garden wing standard view.

The lobby is level 1, and the concourse level is level 4, but you only go up 2 escalators. There isn't really a 3rd floor.Well, there is, but you can only access it via elevator. The gym and some admin offices are up there, but it's a level with really low ceilings and no windows, like a hidden level. Its bizarre. We called it the "other dimension" last week when we would go to the gym.

Anyway, getting up to the 4th floor is easiest using the escalators.

After thinking about this I’m convinced that the 3rd flooor at the CR was originally intended as backstage office and storage space. Then they needed space for the gym and it ended up on that floor.

Well, we used the military discount but stayed 5 nights in the garden wing first week of May this year for a grand total of $2100 (after taxes).

Any info on room refurbs? I read there was a construction permit issued and some were speculating it could be an extensive room refurb.

We are at BLT right now, and a bevy of MK fireworks went off at 5:20am this morning. Is this a “thing”? It woke everyone in my room with a start, and none managed to go back to sleep.

ETA: Another bevy just went off at 6:10.

Last edited:
We will be staying in the garden buildings. I did request first floor but if we get higher floor are there stairs? I dont see any outside the buildings like at other resorts.

We are at BLT right now, and a bevy of MK fireworks went off at 5:20am this morning. Is this a “thing”? It woke everyone in my room with a start, and none managed to go back to sleep.

We just came home a week ago after a 5 night stay and never heard early morning fireworks. Maybe they had some kind of overnight event. I can't imagine there would be many at that time though.

This time of year my guess is that early morning fireworks might be related to a grad night event.

For the garden wing question, all deluxe resorts have inside hallways. That includes the CR garden wing. They aren’t motel style like the mods and values. The stairs will be inside.

We will be staying in the garden buildings. I did request first floor but if we get higher floor are there stairs? I dont see any outside the buildings like at other resorts.
We found the stairs opposite the elevator on the end closest to the main building.

Apparently, it was testing for the Villains after hours event. I kindly expressed my displeasure that we weren't at the very least notified that it was going to happen. They sprinkled a little pixie dust for compensation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter