Disney's FORT WILDERNESS CABINS & CAMPGROUNDS Information & Questions

Hi,
We will be staying for the first time at Fort Wilderness this Christmas! Just for a few nights before we move to our off-site condo. We have our cabin booked and golf cart reserved. Any tips for staying in a cabin? (We have 3 young children)

Is there a tv in the bedroom?

Also, last year we stayed at Wilderness Lodge and rented bikes and rode around Fort Wilderness. One of the cast members told us we could ride our bikes all the way to the Contemporary. We never saw a path for that, so I don’t think it’s true. Anyone know?

Thanks!

Hi,
We will be staying for the first time at Fort Wilderness this Christmas! Just for a few nights before we move to our off-site condo. We have our cabin booked and golf cart reserved. Any tips for staying in a cabin? (We have 3 young children)

Is there a tv in the bedroom?

Also, last year we stayed at Wilderness Lodge and rented bikes and rode around Fort Wilderness. One of the cast members told us we could ride our bikes all the way to the Contemporary. We never saw a path for that, so I don’t think it’s true. Anyone know?

Thanks!
Yes there is a TV in the bedroom and the living room.
You can not bike to the contemporary.
My tip is make sure you take your golf cart and tour the decorations at the campsites.

Does P & J’s Southern takeout offer quick lunch service? The family size meals look like a nice meal on our way back from MK, but I saw on YouTube that the cast members were not very happy to serve guests at lunch time and that the fried chicken took a half hour to cook. Am I better off looking elsewhere in the middle of the day?

So just how bad is it having to take internal buses to the Outpost to get to the parks or to the Settlement to get to MK? Very tempted by the cabin as we spend a lot of time at the resort and it seems fun, but worried about transportation hassles.

We went last month and different people in our party felt differently. My husband and I were probably the most frustrated - me because I am a rope drop kinda gal and my husband because waiting for a bus is can sometimes be frustrating for him and getting off a bus to wait for a second just made him nuts at the end of a long day. My teens, especially my son, liked the leisurely pace. My 2 youngest like the bus a lot and would ride it all the time so for them it is not an inconvenience at all and actually a perk!

The cabins are beautiful and Ft. Wilderness itself is pretty great - I really think everyone should try it once to see if it is the right fit for them.

Is this where I go to obsess and get excited about my trip in january? I just upgraded to the dining plan for only $1000 extra for a family of 5! For 7 days! Woot! Is it hard to get to and from the restaurants to the cabins?

Last edited:

Is this where I go to obsess and get excited about my trip in january? I just upgraded to the dining plan for only $1000 extra for a family of 5! For 7 days! Woot! Is it hard to get to and from the restaurants to the cabins?

It would be a matter of catching the right bus to get from the cabins to the restaurant area (settlement). It can be quite a walk, depending on where your cabin is. We found a golf cart to be wonderfully convenient, and my 5yo really enjoyed it. For a party of 5, though a standard golf cart wouldn't be an option. They may have a few 6-person carts, but you would definitely need a reservation for those.

We really loved Trail's End! Make sure you make a reservation if that food appeals to you. Enjoy your trip!

It would be a matter of catching the right bus to get from the cabins to the restaurant area (settlement). It can be quite a walk, depending on where your cabin is. We found a golf cart to be wonderfully convenient, and my 5yo really enjoyed it. For a party of 5, though a standard golf cart wouldn't be an option. They may have a few 6-person carts, but you would definitely need a reservation for those.

We really loved Trail's End! Make sure you make a reservation if that food appeals to you. Enjoy your trip!
Oh! I figured we would all fit! I didn’t even think of it! Thank you!

https://www.disboards.com/forums/camping-at-disney-world.24/

Here's a whole forum about the fort. Lots of great posters and a monthly trip report.

ETA: we took advantage of being close to the MK and used the boat to get to wilderness lodge or contemporary to dine there too.

Hi! Where do you park the golf carts when you want to take the broad to MK? Is there a lot?

Does anyone know if the Minnie Vans would pick you up right at your cabin?

Lyft pins get dropped at certain locations. For FW cabins, I believe it’s the bus stops. Our pin got dropped at the Pioneer Hall/marina bus stop, even though we were in the 2500 loop. He ended up calling and picking us up at the 2500 bus stop.

They will drop you off directly at the cabin if there is a proper parking space to do so. They will not stop in the middle of the road.

Regular Lyft is only allowed to pickup and drop off at the front lot.

Hello,
We already have our cabin booked for dates right before Christmas. We just purchased APs. Does anyone know if there are any AP discounts on cabins?
Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts