Disney's FORT WILDERNESS CABINS & CAMPGROUNDS Information & Questions

Hello all!

We are a family of 5 checking into a cabin on 7/31 for 7 nights. This will be our first stay at FW and we are pretty excited! Have stayed at the Dolphin and BWI previously.

I have a question about making a cabin request. Can I put notes in when I do online check in? Or does it only let me check off my preferences? Is it better to call direct a few days before to make a request?

I am still a little on the fence what loop/proximity I prefer most. I would be thrilled to score one of the 100 loop cabins, but know that is very unlikely. I am thinking close to the Wilderness pool would be nice, but does it get noisy there? Wherever I end up, I do want to be close to a bus stop. We will not be getting a golf cart. Can’t really justify the extra cost.

I just thought of another question... With P&J takeout... is there seating somewhere in that area to eat? I picture evenings going over there for late dinner and hanging down at the beach area for the water parade and fire works.

Thanks in advance!

Cindy
We were just at FW over the Fourth of July week. We stayed in loop 2700, specifically 2702. I think it was one of the closest cabins to the bus stop and it was a very short walk to the quiet pool. It wasn't handicap accessible and we didn't make a request. That was the cabin we were assigned upon check-in. It worked out very well for us and we didn't rent a golf cart either.

There are beach chairs set up on the beach. I also noticed there were round tables with umbrellas next to the dock and some by Pioneer Hall, where all the restaurants are located.

Hello!

Need some help.

We initially booked for an 8 night Preferred spot in late February but changed our minds and moved up to late January and the only thing that was available was a 6 night in Premium. It was cheaper per night so I booked, but I still want to get those additional 2 nights. Does anyone know of a strategy to get the additional two nights? We would even be ok with staying at a campsite for those two nights and my parents can take our trailer travel home early. When I went to see about adding 2 campsite nights they weren’t available, yet it the entire 8 days could be booked in a campsite. Any ideas?

Ok, I got the full six nights that I needed just by checking the last few days. I was able to reserve a new “Premium Meadow site”. Does anyone know what specific loop this is considered?

Hi all!

Staying for 5 nights in a cabin in November! My mom and I have never stayed at FW but it's been a bucket list item for a long time. Any tips and advice for first timers would be appreciated!

Thanks all!

I LOVED it so much. We didn't have golf carts or anything. We were fairly close to the bus stops. The pool was a ball. It was such an amazing feel at the cabins!

The campfire sing along was awesome too.

My best advice is get to the bus stop or boat dock early so you don't have to wait too long. Bring waters and other snacks to cut costs. The bathroom is a bit small, so don't bring too many products if you can help it!

I just want to add to the previous post. You don’t have to have a golf cart. It’s pretty expensive and for the money we saved, I was able to do a fireworks cruise for my family instead. It takes a minute to figure the buses out but once you get the hang of it, you can move around FT Wilderness pretty quick. I kept reading horror stories about people not having the carts and the bus stops being nightmares but that was not my experience when we went this past March during spring break.

To work the buses we got a cabin close to the beginning of the loop and we picked 2800 so that we could walk to the front of the resort each morning to ride to HS, EPCOT, and AK then when we got back at night, the 2800 was the first stop on the purple bus line, so it was always a quick trip at the end of the day back to he cabin.

But, like in the previous post, you have to get to the boat to MK early. It sucked to show up and see a HUGE line for boats and know that it’s gonna be 45 to an hour before you get to the actual park. Sometimes though you can take the other boat to the contemporary hotel and then walk over to MK. There wasn’t ever a line for the contemporary. Also, if there’s lightning, the boats shut down and you gotta find a different way to MK, which is exactly what happened to us. Minnie vans are allowed in Ft Wilderness , which Lyft and Uber are not. So during the storm, I was able to get my group in a Minnie van that picked us up at the boat launch and they are able to take a back toad to MK and get there in like 7 minutes. It’s ecoensive but soooo worth it

Hi all!

Staying for 5 nights in a cabin in November! My mom and I have never stayed at FW but it's been a bucket list item for a long time. Any tips and advice for first timers would be appreciated!

Thanks all!
We loved our stay so much, my husband doesn’t want to go back unless we stay in the cabins again! It is so comfortable, and so nice to have your own private space. We had a golf cart and enjoyed exploring the campground, and driving to dinner and breakfast each day. It is such a nice, quiet break from the hustle and bustle of the parks. If you will not be on the dining plan, bring groceries or have some delivered and you can cook your own meals to save money.

We loved our stay so much, my husband doesn’t want to go back unless we stay in the cabins again! It is so comfortable, and so nice to have your own private space. We had a golf cart and enjoyed exploring the campground, and driving to dinner and breakfast each day. It is such a nice, quiet break from the hustle and bustle of the parks. If you will not be on the dining plan, bring groceries or have some delivered and you can cook your own meals to save money.

For the groceries, anyone know if you order groceries from Meadow's trading post, and you're not in your room, will they put the refrigerated goods in the fridge for you?

The cabins are part of our bucket list so we're very excited to stay there.

Depending on your location on the cabin loop, it could be a fair distance from your cabin to a bus stop. We requested to be near transportation and we were placed in a cabin towards the entrance of the loop. We have stayed at other Disney hotels and had a fairly long walk from our room to a bus stop. I will say that the cabins definitely are convenient for driving your own vehicle...just walk out the door and hop in. We didn't think we would do much driving but ended up driving to all of the parks except Magic Kingdom. It just felt so quick and easy versus the bus. I also want to add that if you stay at another hotel, you could have a long walk to the parking lot as well.
If you're mom has handicapped placards, tell her to bring them. My FIL has handicapped license plates and placards, and Disney did not charge them resort parking fees due to his disability.

For the groceries, anyone know if you order groceries from Meadow's trading post, and you're not in your room, will they put the refrigerated goods in the fridge for you?

The cabins are part of our bucket list so we're very excited to stay there.
Hmmm, I’m not sure. We ordered groceries from Amazon/Whole Foods and had it delivered to the resort. You can always give them a call and they will let you know the specifics.

ejdmomma,

The Fort (campsites and even cabins) are for a particular type of WDW guest.

If you are a theme park warrior who plans to be in a park every day of your stay at some point, the Fort is probably not for you.

If you are a food nerd who likes a couple of table dining choices and quick service choices at your home resort, the Fort is probably not for you.

If you want to RELAX on vacation, you enjoy the outdoors, and have a personality (you can look people in the eye and say "good morning"), the Fort is probably for you.

We go to the Fort for 4-6 nights at a time and 1-2 days in a park (we are rope drop to closing bell types now). The non-park time is spent enjoying things at the Fort and elsewhere around WDW. If you haven't watched the sun come up over the forest/swamp across the main road from 500 loop during an early morning walk, it is spectacular. I like to crawl in the brush and find the old remains of the Fort Wilderness Railroad track that was left behind. We ride bikes, fish, canoe, or walk to Wilderness Lodge. There is a movie and campfire singalong every night which is a throwback to my childhood. The turkeys wander through (a herd of them) sometimes. Kids old enough to take care of themselves can be turned loose and be a kid.

Watch the fireworks over MK from the beach at night (music piped in); wait for the Electrical Water Parade nightly. Let the kids participate in the pool activities each afternoon. Go visit the horses in the Horse Barn at Tri Circle D ranch then watch them pull the wagons in the evening. Walk through the camping loops or get a golf cart to go "looping" to look at campers' decorations/setups, get ideas, or day dream of the next trailer/rv.

I never get everything done on my list of things to do. Guess that's why I keep going back.

Bama Ed
We also just booked our first campsite trip for next August so I've been watching a few youtube videos of Disney vloggers to get a feel for the resort. Just to update what you listed above, you can no longer walk from the Wilderness Lodge to the campsite nor can you look for the abandoned train & River Country. Tri Circle D ranch also closed but the horses have temporarily been moved to front of the resort. That has all been closed off to build a new 800 room hotel that is currently in the works.

Hi all!

Thanks all!

My advice:
1. Make sure you have non-park days in your trip to enjoy some down time at the Fort Wilderness grounds. It's relaxing and there is plenty to entertain you. (Id recommend breakfast/brunch buffet at Trails End, Hoop Dee Doo, horseback riding, s'mores at Chip N Dales sing a long, and watching the electrical water pageant.)
2. Groceries + the cabin's full kitchen = a ton of money saved! Garden Grocer delivered our order to the cabin door. We did breakfast almost every morning and had a cookout night on the grill (both stores in FW sell charcoal to use on the grill).
3. Golf cart! I know many people here prefer not to get them, but driving around in the cart provided some of my favorite memories of the trip. It made getting to the marina a breeze and I didnt have to worry about catching a bus to get around (I have terrible luck with buses in Disney...and am also impatient lol).
3.b. If not purchasing a golf cart, it is a good strategy to try and request a cabin in the first loop (so you can walk to the park buses) or close to an internal bus stop.
4. Though the comfort station by the cabin's quiet pool is not designated any differently from the other comfort stations, it does NOT have a shower. I so wish Disney would specify that. I had a cabin across from the pool which was a lovely location, but the lack of shower in the CS thwarted my plan to give my large party a second bathroom/shower location.
5. Resort Boat Loop. Take advantage of your direct access to Wilderness Lodge and Contemporary. It opens up great dining and hangout options. Lunch/drinks at Geyser Point on a nice day is sublime, and there's few dining experiences better than California Grill. The Wave is also delicious and affordable.
5.b. Walk from Contemporary to MK. If there is ever a long line for the MK boat and you won't make it on, or if you just missed an MK boat, take a resort boat to Contemporary if its arriving. You'll be just a 5 min walk from the gates of the park and the path from this resort has the shortest security line (if there even is one).
6. Minnie Vans. If your mother or someone else in your party has trouble walking, keep in mind that Minnie Vans can pick up/drop off at your cabin. It's a great option if someone is having difficulty walking after a long park day. (tip: GPS is super wonky at Disney, and especially in the fort. So text your driver your cabin number once you've confirmed the ride. It'll help them find you upon pickup).

You might have someone check the cost of charcoal at the Fort, Garden Grocer does carry that too.

I don't know if this was brought up previously, but is there parking for vehicles at the pools and marina or just for golf carts? We'll have a car along with our RV but don't know if a golf cart is needed if we can drive to those spots.

I don't know if this was brought up previously, but is there parking for vehicles at the pools and marina or just for golf carts? We'll have a car along with our RV but don't know if a golf cart is needed if we can drive to those spots.
No car parking at the marina or pools. Tiny car parking lot at the meadows trading post for quick stops only. There is the internal bus to take you around if you choose to skip the golf cart. Some people also bring bikes to get around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!