Disney's FORT WILDERNESS CABINS & CAMPGROUNDS Information & Questions

I just called yesterday and made a golf cart reservation for later this month. The $79 cart seats six people. They still have the $59 that seats four. so unless you need a larger one you can still get one for $59! Hope that helsp. :thumbsup2
We have stayed both with and without a golf cart and we really prefer to have one. It's just such a fun, easy way to get around what really is a BIG resort. If you get to the pool and realize you forgot the sunscreen :rolleyes1 just hop on the cart and run back to your site/cabin. So much easier than waiting on a bus. Plus, as you said the cabins are a good distance from the MK boat. Not too bad heading out, but after a long exhausting day at the MK we like to get off our feet and to our beds ASAP. However, we have stayed when our budget didn't allow for a cart and we still had a great time. We brought our bicycles and still managed to get around pretty easily. Either way I'm sure you will have a great time!

Great info!:thumbsup2 Y'all must be heading down soon, huh?! :banana: When I called to make our golf cart ressie, I asked bout the 6 seater. The CM told me they were first come, first serve. We did reserve the 4 seater golf cart, but can't be guaranteed the 6 seater. She told us that when we check-in, go ahead and ask. If they don't have one, they will put our name on a waiting list.

Your ticker looks awesome!! We did that same "split" (if that's what you want to call it;)) with the Dream and AKL CL. LOVED both!!! We were very pleased with the food and service at AKL. We were always a little leery about trying that resort, but ended up really enjoying the stay.

Happy Planning!! :goodvibes
Heather

Ok Grumpymom73...I know I saw a different ticker on your signature :laughing: now it's gone. Am I crazy?! It did say AKL/Dream, right?!! :laughing:

Heather

Ok Grumpymom73...I know I saw a different ticker on your signature :laughing: now it's gone. Am I crazy?! It did say AKL/Dream, right?!! :laughing: Heather

No you are not crazy! LOL
I just changed my ticker. I guess I don't post enough because I realized that was from this past summer! Just booked a long weekend at the Fort so I had something to change it to :)

I have a question for all of you who stay in the cabins....

Do you do online checkin? If so what is a good location/loop to request?

No you are not crazy! LOL
I just changed my ticker. I guess I don't post enough because I realized that was from this past summer! Just booked a long weekend at the Fort so I had something to change it to :)

Oh thank heavens!! :laughing: After I posted my reply to you, I looked at your ticker again and it didn't say Dream/AKL. I thought :confused3..."surely I didn't misread that!" Well...hope your cruise and CL was fun ;) :laughing:

Long weekends at the Fort are the best!!! Are you camping or in a cabin?

Oh thank heavens!! :laughing: After I posted my reply to you, I looked at your ticker again and it didn't say Dream/AKL. I thought :confused3..."surely I didn't misread that!" Well...hope your cruise and CL was fun ;) :laughing:

Long weekends at the Fort are the best!!! Are you camping or in a cabin?

It's been a few years since we stayed at the Fort so we are looking forward to it. We used to own a Pop-up camper and loved staying at FW, but we sold it a few years ago so we are staying in a cabin this time.

Any suggestions for a location/loop request?

:goodvibes glad to hear school is okay...at least you aren't saying "bad". You've totally got this, Pas:thumbsup2
:hug: Thank you Heather I KNOW you understand my school madness!

Yes, can we talk about those golf carts. At $59 a day, I really thought we'd do it. So many people say they are must and I can understand why. But now, at $79 a day, I can't decide! I suppose I could wait and see how the budget looks closer to it, but I am encouraged by what you said above, should we have to forego it. I think we will splurge, but I'd love to hear from those who've done it with and without, and specifically from the cabin point of view, as we are a good chunk away from that Magic Kingdom boat!
I will say we drive to WDW, so we do have the car. So for EMH/early ADRs we drove to AKL, Epcot and DHS at 8am there is hardly anyone in the parking lot so leaving was even better. We never had an issue with the buses, after Wishes at the beach we waited for a second bus but it was maybe 10-15 minutes. It would be cool to have a cart, but we wouldn't have fit anyway so no biggie. Go with what you are comfortable with budget wise. Can you get one and return it after a day or so, or is it all prepaid? This way you can try for yourself:thumbsup2 Bus ride in CBR was longer than taking the bus loop at FWC, and you can take the bus to MK which is REALLY fast:)

I have a question for all of you who stay in the cabins....

Do you do online checkin? If so what is a good location/loop to request?

We've never done online check-in at FW, but don't ask me why :upsidedow But will for our June trip. Both times we've been it has NEVER been busy; guess we have been fortunate.

As far as the loop request, guess that is somewhat subjective. The first time we went, I printed off the FW map and tried to decide what would be best. Cabins are located in loops 2100 through 2800. 2100 is the closest to the center of the resort (this is why I like this one) Loops 2200 through 2800 get increasingly farther away as the loop number increases with 2800 being the closest to the south end of the resort near the entrance. We've stayed in 2200 and 2300. I'm requesting 2100 for our June trip. There are not any cabin loops near the main pool but 2500 and the front part of 2600 are near the cabin pool.

It's been a few years since we stayed at the Fort so we are looking forward to it. We used to own a Pop-up camper and loved staying at FW, but we sold it a few years ago so we are staying in a cabin this time.

Any suggestions for a location/loop request?

Yesterday we posted at the same time, so I totally missed your first post about cabin loops :upsidedow Sorry. Y'all will enjoy your cabin stay:thumbsup2 and since you have a golf cart, you should be fine wherever you end up staying :thumbsup2 2100 just looks like the best loop since it's in the middle of the Fort (JMO, of course;))

Happy Sunday!
Heather

This is a great thread with lots of information. I am so happy to see FW get the love and attention it deserves. :thumbsup2

This is a great thread with lots of information. I am so happy to see FW get the love and attention it deserves. :thumbsup2

Thanks a million, proudmomof4! We've been going to WDW for years....ever since I was a little girl. But it wasn't until a few years ago that we ventured over to see what FW was all about. I immediately fell in love with the place. It's like a destination within a destination (if that makes sense :laughing:) I think people forget, or maybe don't know, what the Fort has to offer. The atmosphere is just so relaxing and laid back...makes for a nice retreat from reality;)

Heather

Well, I made it over to the new thread, I've been following since I started planning our trip last November, we ended up staying at POR since it was the kids' first time and they were so young. I'm hoping for the Cabins next time around. Not that that will be until Fall 2015 or Spring 2016, but, hey, it's never too early to start planning. Just don't tell my husband I am! ;) Now I just have to talk my DS7, who does not like change, into trying a new resort. He fell in love with the frogs at POR that greeted us each night coming home from the parks, so I'm thinking there should be enough at FW to entice him! :)

What a relief to find out the 4 seaters were still $59. I went ahead and reserved for our first 4 days. The 5th day is a no-park/recover day, so we'll switch to bikes ($18/bike/day) and then "rough it" our last three days.

I can't wait to see pics of the wreath!

My grumpy guy update - he's coming around, but I may have to tweek dates... Hoping that is still possible and to get the discount. :confused3 A week or two earlier, all the better if it works out with the deal!

Well, I made it over to the new thread, I've been following since I started planning our trip last November

:banana: Glad you made it over!

we ended up staying at POR since it was the kids' first time and they were so young. I'm hoping for the Cabins next time around. Not that that will be until Fall 2015 or Spring 2016, but, hey, it's never too early to start planning. Just don't tell my husband I am! ;)

Yay for POR :thumbsup2 We did a long weekend trip last January and thoroughly enjoyed it....especially the kids. It's a great pick for sure. And it's never EVER EVER too early to start planning another trip...especially to the Fort;) And we'll keep your trip planning a secret :ssst: Promise!

Now I just have to talk my DS7, who does not like change, into trying a new resort. He fell in love with the frogs at POR that greeted us each night coming home from the parks, so I'm thinking there should be enough at FW to entice him! :)

No worries about him not liking FW! TONS of fun to be had for sure. Does he like Chip and Dale?? He can see them nightly if he likes at the campfire:thumbsup2

What a relief to find out the 4 seaters were still $59. I went ahead and reserved for our first 4 days. The 5th day is a no-park/recover day, so we'll switch to bikes ($18/bike/day) and then "rough it" our last three days.

:thumbsup2 Love a golf cart! I like the bike idea. I'm going to totally do that on our June trip. Not sure the kids will want one, but I'm going to have one around for me :teeth:

When my parents get back in a couple of weeks, we're going to get right on that wreath:thumbsup2 Maybe my mom will be able to come up with some more creative ideas!

My grumpy guy update - he's coming around, but I may have to tweek dates... Hoping that is still possible and to get the discount. :confused3 A week or two earlier, all the better if it works out with the deal!

Here's some pixiedust: for just the right date to emerge!!

:banana: Glad you made it over!

Yay for POR :thumbsup2 We did a long weekend trip last January and thoroughly enjoyed it....especially the kids. It's a great pick for sure. And it's never EVER EVER too early to start planning another trip...especially to the Fort;) And we'll keep your trip planning a secret :ssst: Promise!

No worries about him not liking FW! TONS of fun to be had for sure. Does he like Chip and Dale?? He can see them nightly if he likes at the campfire:thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 Love a golf cart! I like the bike idea. I'm going to totally do that on our June trip. Not sure the kids will want one, but I'm going to have one around for me :teeth:

When my parents get back in a couple of weeks, we're going to get right on that wreath:thumbsup2 Maybe my mom will be able to come up with some more creative ideas!

Here's some pixiedust: for just the right date to emerge!!

Thanks. : ) I'm trying not to get myself too excited about another trip or it will be a LONG 1 1/2 to 2 years! That being said, I have to do something to get my Disney fix and planning a return trip is how I plan to do it! Especially since I have one of those Disney resistant husbands too. Well, he did soften up to it once he saw the kids there but if he never went again he really would be fine. I'm SO glad the kids have already started asking when we can go back so I don't have too! LOL!
As a matter of fact, being extremely attached to all animals, he does love Chip and Dale. He will love that!
So, does anyone else have any thing else to upsell the Cabins to my son after having stayed at POR riverside? He is on the autism spectrum and has high anxiety so very resistant to change. Honestly, I probably have to start soon just to get him used to the idea of something different! He is a water lover, how does the pool compare to POR riverside?
I have a ton of questions running in my head but ill stop there, well since I do have quite a bit of time to get details. : )

Very cool! What's with the Grumpy hubbys :confused3 I happen to own one...you would think he would've come around after 20+ years :rotfl: Hope you can keep the discount!!!:goodvibes

Very cool! What's with the Grumpy hubbys :confused3 I happen to own one...you would think he would've come around after 20+ years :rotfl: Hope you can keep the discount!!!:goodvibes

Pas, you are turning 40 TOO this year? Oh man, I don't think I'm ready! Mickey will help ease the blow though I hope! What day is it? Mine is June 22nd. :cool1:

Should hear from hubby momentarily about dates. Crossing my fingers his bosses are in a good mood...

Time to go enter the big contest for the day... I'm not a creature of habit, but have been good about this every day! Here's hoping...

Pas, you are turning 40 TOO this year? Oh man, I don't think I'm ready! Mickey will help ease the blow though I hope! What day is it? Mine is June 22nd. :cool1:

Should hear from hubby momentarily about dates. Crossing my fingers his bosses are in a good mood...

Time to go enter the big contest for the day... I'm not a creature of habit, but have been good about this every day! Here's hoping...

Yep the big 4-0 :hug: August 19th :goodvibes I think 25 was harder...I still feel 25 on the inside at least :lmao:

Just booked our trip for March 5-10 at the cabins! I haven't stayed there in almost 20 years so I'm hoping my girls love them as much as I did as a kid :)

Following along to learn any more tips and hints that anyone has to share!

Thanks. : ) I'm trying not to get myself too excited about another trip or it will be a LONG 1 1/2 to 2 years! That being said, I have to do something to get my Disney fix and planning a return trip is how I plan to do it! Especially since I have one of those Disney resistant husbands too. Well, he did soften up to it once he saw the kids there but if he never went again he really would be fine. I'm SO glad the kids have already started asking when we can go back so I don't have too! LOL!
As a matter of fact, being extremely attached to all animals, he does love Chip and Dale. He will love that!
So, does anyone else have any thing else to upsell the Cabins to my son after having stayed at POR riverside? He is on the autism spectrum and has high anxiety so very resistant to change. Honestly, I probably have to start soon just to get him used to the idea of something different! He is a water lover, how does the pool compare to POR riverside?
I have a ton of questions running in my head but ill stop there, well since I do have quite a bit of time to get details. : )

You might be surprised at how fast 1 1/2 years will fly by! And the kids are always a great way to get those Disney resistant husbands to cave :laughing: Let em' keep asking....he will eventually give in:thumbsup2 And if you can wait until June ;), I'll have hundreds of new pics of the Fort...every inch of the place :teeth:

Have you been over on the disABILITIES threads? They have some really great threads....anything from the very minor or temporary disabilities to the severe.

As far as the pools go, both have slides. The Fort has a great kids play area with a small slide that our kids loved. Others might have more to add. That wasn't very much info was it?? :laughing:

Good luck with both!!! ;) I've been doing that contest, too...:laughing:

Just booked our trip for March 5-10 at the cabins! I haven't stayed there in almost 20 years so I'm hoping my girls love them as much as I did as a kid :)

Following along to learn any more tips and hints that anyone has to share!

:cheer2: for booked trips!!! And it should be a great time to go....not so hot. 20 years, huh?! I'll be anxious to see what you think. I'm guessing your girls will love it...such a great place for families to relax and have fun. Are you going to do the HDDR? We just did it this past December, but I'm secretly wanting to go again. Not sure DH will go for that :upsidedow Are y'all doing all the parks, hanging out at the Fort?? I'm full of questions, aren't I? :teeth:

Happy Planning!

I am going to go read the whole thread but I just had to say :thanks: for starting this thread!

:goodvibes You're welcome! It's fun sharing pictures and info about a great resort. And if ya hang around till' June, we'll have more pics to post ....lots and lots more;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter