(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! It's been a while since I checked in here, so :wave2:!

We're checking in at the Grand in a GV room in less than two weeks! So looking forward to being back since it's been a while since our last stay.

Somewhat silly/nostalgic question: the train at MK is currently down for refurbishment, right? We always love hearing the train whistle across SSL whenever we stay at the Grand, but I'm assuming that won't be an option during this trip. Still will be a magical stay regardless, I'm sure, but just wanted to double check. :goodvibes .

Hi all! It's been a while since I checked in here, so :wave2:!

We're checking in at the Grand in a GV room in less than two weeks! So looking forward to being back since it's been a while since our last stay.

Somewhat silly/nostalgic question: the train at MK is currently down for refurbishment, right? We always love hearing the train whistle across SSL whenever we stay at the Grand, but I'm assuming that won't be an option during this trip. Still will be a magical stay regardless, I'm sure, but just wanted to double check. :goodvibes .
The train is not running, although when we were there last, they let us board it and take pictures on it.
You will not hear the train, but you might be able to hear some ferry horns from Poly/TTC if your windows are open.

The train is not running, although when we were there last, they let us board it and take pictures on it.
You will not hear the train, but you might be able to hear some ferry horns from Poly/TTC if your windows are open.

Thanks for confirming, miTnosnhoJ! The ferry horns will do. :)

Hello all!
I was hoping you’d be able to help me with a few questions I have about staying at the GF for the first time coming from the UK! We are renting points.
In August, my husband and I will be staying one night at AKL (DVC Savannah Studio) followed by one night at the GF (DVC lake view). We have our resort day at AKL planned but are struggling with making the best of our night at GF. We will be checking into the GF on the 20th and will be attending Mickeys Not So Scary Halloween Party. I know the check in time is 4pm and check out time is 11 the next day but I was wondering how best to enjoy the facilities that the GF offers.

1) Will Bell Services transfer our luggage from AKL to GF or is this only for non DVC guests (renting or otherwise)?
2) If we visit guest services, will they let us use the pool at the GF on check in day before our room is ready?
3) Where would you recommend either for lunch at the GF on check in day or breakfast on check out day?
4) Any other ideas on how to use our limited time at the resort whilst working around the Halloween party?
5) Any room or location suggestions? We haven’t even visited the GF before (shock, I know!) and so the maps don’t really make sense to me at the moment..

Thank you in advance for your help with any of the queries above!

Hi Gang!

We just got back yesterday from our 4 night stay with our DGD 3 1/2y/o. We were so blessed to stay in a Theme Park view CL room in the Main Building. Here's my take:

We landed at MCO at 1:30pm; directly to ME lines (which were pretty busy). Finally onto bus and rolling to stops at Ft Wilderness, Poly then GF. I had done Online Check-in earlier in week and received a text while on ME that "Your room #is 4408 but is not ready at this time. You will receive another text when it is ready." This was at 2:20pm.

This was our first time staying CL, so I had no previous experience with checking in, but I was kinda expecting something a little more "special" than what we got (I guess because in the past I've seen CL employees greeting guest off of the ME and taking them for tours, upstairs check-in etc but that didn't happen for us). We went into lobby and there was quite a line at check-in, so I asked an employee standing at entrance if we could go upstairs to wait on our room and maybe find some snacks. He advised me that I couldn't go upstairs until I had "checked in". I told him I had done Online check in. He was very kind but basically said, "Go to Gasparillas to find something to eat and kill some time then come back and get into regular Check In Line". So that's what we did. We never received another text about room but at 3:45pm when we returned to lobby, the registration line was empty so I went to front desk. They told me I was all good to go and to head upstairs to our room.???? Anyway, it was kinda a lackluster start to an otherwise amazing stay. Just wanted to share in case others experience this too. Not sure if ours was a fluke, bad luck, or the norm.

Our room was #4408, which is the 2nd room after the Octagonal left turn of the hallway on the 4th floor. We had an amazing view of the marina and the castle. The room was very clean and exactly as expected. My hubby took lots of pics and I will post our views later.

When we arrived, the CL cast members were cleaning up from Tea Time, (and we had eaten at Gaspy's) so we waited until 5pm Twilight Treats (or whatever it's called). I was a little hesitant at first of the layout because no one had explained it to us, but I quickly figured it out. The GF orchestra was playing and in a few minutes I was nibbling on Mandarin Orange Pork Belly bites, shrimp with avacado, and sipping champagne. The RPC employees were all very approachable, friendly and helpful. They were so friendly and interactive with our DGD (who wanted to go to the lounge to watch TV and sit at the kids tables all the time). The selections were amazing and so much more varied than I expected. Valentines Day was especially delicious with so many special sweets and the orchestra playing all of the Disney love songs and many renditions of "My Funny Valentine" with special dedications to couples in the lobby.

This was the first time we've gone to WDW in February and here are my thought on that: The weather was simply the best of any visit we've ever had. Literally, there was never a moment that I thought, "Man, I wish it was warmer, or I'm hot and wish it would cool off". The first night was chilly (we wore jackets to MK) but it was so sunny and windy and very low humidity for the rest of the stay. Long sleeves or t-shirts, shorts or jeans, really anything you chose to wear was fine. My hubby said. "If I knew it would always be like this in Feb, we'd always come then." I realize that Florida weather is temperamental, and can change on a dime, but it was wonderful while we were there. The crowds were high to me (we usually go in August/Sept) and I believe it was the most crowded I've ever seen. This may have had something to do with President's Day weekend (which I didn't even realize when I booked). However, it didn't bother us, as we were primarily there for Small World, to meet Mickey, and Happily Every After with DGD. The upside of the crowds was that the big theater shows were alot more fun with a full crowd (I don't think I've ever been to Carousel of Progress with more than 12 people in the audience over the years). Also, not sure if it was a holiday weekend thing, or just a general WDW trend, but the amount of large groups (families/friends, not tour groups) was amazing. I mean like groups of 12, 16, 9, 20, everywhere. Didn't matter, but just of note.

Thoughts on RPC: Simply lovely service. Well worth it in my opinion if you plan on spending some time at resort. If you're a Park open-closer, then might not be worth the money because you'll miss most of the offerings. The employees were outstanding without exception in my experience. Our housekeeping was amazing. Theme park view was lovely, especially for watching HEA from our balcony with the music piped in. I'm not sure if I would spring for it again for just DH and I, but with our DGD, it was a must. Yes, the TPV rooms are further from the lounge, but very easy access to the back elevator that goes to pool, Gaspy's which was very convenient. All in all, it will be hard to return to an outbuilding, reg room after being spoiled.

Summary: If you've always dreamed of springing for RPC, just do it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

That's all I can remember for now, gotta get back to playing catch up around here. I'll try to come back and post some pics later.

Hi Gang!

We just got back yesterday from our 4 night stay with our DGD 3 1/2y/o. We were so blessed to stay in a Theme Park view CL room in the Main Building. Here's my take:

We landed at MCO at 1:30pm; directly to ME lines (which were pretty busy). Finally onto bus and rolling to stops at Ft Wilderness, Poly then GF. I had done Online Check-in earlier in week and received a text while on ME that "Your room #is 4408 but is not ready at this time. You will receive another text when it is ready." This was at 2:20pm.

This was our first time staying CL, so I had no previous experience with checking in, but I was kinda expecting something a little more "special" than what we got (I guess because in the past I've seen CL employees greeting guest off of the ME and taking them for tours, upstairs check-in etc but that didn't happen for us). We went into lobby and there was quite a line at check-in, so I asked an employee standing at entrance if we could go upstairs to wait on our room and maybe find some snacks. He advised me that I couldn't go upstairs until I had "checked in". I told him I had done Online check in. He was very kind but basically said, "Go to Gasparillas to find something to eat and kill some time then come back and get into regular Check In Line". So that's what we did. We never received another text about room but at 3:45pm when we returned to lobby, the registration line was empty so I went to front desk. They told me I was all good to go and to head upstairs to our room.???? Anyway, it was kinda a lackluster start to an otherwise amazing stay. Just wanted to share in case others experience this too. Not sure if ours was a fluke, bad luck, or the norm.

Our room was #4408, which is the 2nd room after the Octagonal left turn of the hallway on the 4th floor. We had an amazing view of the marina and the castle. The room was very clean and exactly as expected. My hubby took lots of pics and I will post our views later.

When we arrived, the CL cast members were cleaning up from Tea Time, (and we had eaten at Gaspy's) so we waited until 5pm Twilight Treats (or whatever it's called). I was a little hesitant at first of the layout because no one had explained it to us, but I quickly figured it out. The GF orchestra was playing and in a few minutes I was nibbling on Mandarin Orange Pork Belly bites, shrimp with avacado, and sipping champagne. The RPC employees were all very approachable, friendly and helpful. They were so friendly and interactive with our DGD (who wanted to go to the lounge to watch TV and sit at the kids tables all the time). The selections were amazing and so much more varied than I expected. Valentines Day was especially delicious with so many special sweets and the orchestra playing all of the Disney love songs and many renditions of "My Funny Valentine" with special dedications to couples in the lobby.

This was the first time we've gone to WDW in February and here are my thought on that: The weather was simply the best of any visit we've ever had. Literally, there was never a moment that I thought, "Man, I wish it was warmer, or I'm hot and wish it would cool off". The first night was chilly (we wore jackets to MK) but it was so sunny and windy and very low humidity for the rest of the stay. Long sleeves or t-shirts, shorts or jeans, really anything you chose to wear was fine. My hubby said. "If I knew it would always be like this in Feb, we'd always come then." I realize that Florida weather is temperamental, and can change on a dime, but it was wonderful while we were there. The crowds were high to me (we usually go in August/Sept) and I believe it was the most crowded I've ever seen. This may have had something to do with President's Day weekend (which I didn't even realize when I booked). However, it didn't bother us, as we were primarily there for Small World, to meet Mickey, and Happily Every After with DGD. The upside of the crowds was that the big theater shows were alot more fun with a full crowd (I don't think I've ever been to Carousel of Progress with more than 12 people in the audience over the years). Also, not sure if it was a holiday weekend thing, or just a general WDW trend, but the amount of large groups (families/friends, not tour groups) was amazing. I mean like groups of 12, 16, 9, 20, everywhere. Didn't matter, but just of note.

Thoughts on RPC: Simply lovely service. Well worth it in my opinion if you plan on spending some time at resort. If you're a Park open-closer, then might not be worth the money because you'll miss most of the offerings. The employees were outstanding without exception in my experience. Our housekeeping was amazing. Theme park view was lovely, especially for watching HEA from our balcony with the music piped in. I'm not sure if I would spring for it again for just DH and I, but with our DGD, it was a must. Yes, the TPV rooms are further from the lounge, but very easy access to the back elevator that goes to pool, Gaspy's which was very convenient. All in all, it will be hard to return to an outbuilding, reg room after being spoiled.

Summary: If you've always dreamed of springing for RPC, just do it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

That's all I can remember for now, gotta get back to playing catch up around here. I'll try to come back and post some pics later.

I’m sorry your check in experience wasn’t what you expected. I think it’s kind of disappointing that they guided you to go eat at Gasparilla’s when you are a club level guest. Not for nothing, but you paid for it. When we stay club level, I want to go straight to the lounge while I’m waiting for my room. You could have had something to eat/drink there. I’m happy you enjoyed it though. It’s such a beautiful place to be!

Hi Gang!

Sounds like a magical trip (minus your check-in experience)!:wizard: Thank you for sharing, and can’t wait to see your photos!

poohgirl16, Sorry you did not have a good check in experience. Your CM was misinformed. Someone should have taken you upstairs to wait in the lounge for your room. It is so wrong to suggest you go to Gaspies to wait. Getting greeted outside is hit or miss, but once you told someone you were a CL guest they should have taken you upstairs and shown you around if it was your first time there. I'm surprised you got your room number before it was ready...I've never seen that before. I suspect that your room was ready and just got the wrong text...happened to me. I got a text that said the room wasn't quite ready then an hour later got the same text...went to the CL desk at around 4 to check and it was ready. I think the 2nd text was supposed to be the your room is ready test.

We just got back yesterday from our 4 night stay with our DGD 3 1/2y/o. We were so blessed to stay in a Theme Park view CL room in the Main Building.

Thanks for your review. Aside from your not-so-great check in experience, I'm glad you had a great trip. Looking forward to your pics :).

Hello all!
I was hoping you’d be able to help me with a few questions I have about staying at the GF for the first time coming from the UK! We are renting points.
In August, my husband and I will be staying one night at AKL (DVC Savannah Studio) followed by one night at the GF (DVC lake view). We have our resort day at AKL planned but are struggling with making the best of our night at GF. We will be checking into the GF on the 20th and will be attending Mickeys Not So Scary Halloween Party. I know the check in time is 4pm and check out time is 11 the next day but I was wondering how best to enjoy the facilities that the GF offers.

1) Will Bell Services transfer our luggage from AKL to GF or is this only for non DVC guests (renting or otherwise)?
2) If we visit guest services, will they let us use the pool at the GF on check in day before our room is ready?
3) Where would you recommend either for lunch at the GF on check in day or breakfast on check out day?
4) Any other ideas on how to use our limited time at the resort whilst working around the Halloween party?
5) Any room or location suggestions? We haven’t even visited the GF before (shock, I know!) and so the maps don’t really make sense to me at the moment..

Any help at all?

Hello all!

1. Bell services will transfer your bags and any groceries if you have them.
  2. You are a guest of the resort from 6 AM on your check in day until midnight of your checkout day. You’re welcome to enjoy the pool before your villa is ready and after you vacate the room.
  3. Gasparilla’s Grill is great for a quick lunch (it’s counter service) there is some indoor dining or you can grab a table outside as well. Breakfast at the Grand Floridian Cafe can be very nice if you’re looking for table service.
  4. You will be in the DVC building, which is to the side of the property closest to the wedding chapel. Upper levels generally have better views than ground level. However it’s not easy to make a recommendation without knowing whether your villa is standard or lake view.

Hello all!

2) If we visit guest services, will they let us use the pool at the GF on check in day before our room is ready? 3) Where would you recommend either for lunch at the GF on check in day or breakfast on check out day?

1. Yes
2. Yes you are considered a guest from the time you arrive until midnight of your check out day. You may use the pool or any other amenities.
3. Grand Floridian Cafe.

4. There is an orchestra and piano player in the main lobby every afternoon until 10 PM. Grab a drink and sit and relax in the beautiful lobby and enjoy the music. Walk or take the monorail to the Poly and or monorail to the CR. You can rent a boat and ride around Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon. Lots of things to keep you occupied until party time.
5. The Grand has lovely views from all the buildings and nothing is very far from anything. I would keep it simple and not request anything.

ETA I forgot you were DVC. Sorry can't help with any location requests.

1. Bell services will transfer your bags and any groceries if you have them.
  2. You are a guest of the resort from 6 AM on your check in day until midnight of your checkout day. You’re welcome to enjoy the pool before your villa is ready and after you vacate the room.
  3. Gasparilla’s Grill is great for a quick lunch (it’s counter service) there is some indoor dining or you can grab a table outside as well. Breakfast at the Grand Floridian Cafe can be very nice if you’re looking for table service.
  4. You will be in the DVC building, which is to the side of the property closest to the wedding chapel. Upper levels generally have better views than ground level. However it’s not easy to make a recommendation without knowing whether your villa is standard or lake view.

Thank you very much! Especially the answer the answer to question 2! Will definitely have a look at the Grahd Floridian Cafe for breakfast. Our room is a lake view/ any suggestions? I’m happy to let the chips fall where they may unless there’s something I can request which may enhance our experience further

1. Yes
2. Yes you are considered a guest from the time you arrive until midnight of your check out day. You may use the pool or any other amenities.
3. Grand Floridian Cafe.

4. There is an orchestra and piano player in the main lobby every afternoon until 10 PM. Grab a drink and sit and relax in the beautiful lobby and enjoy the music. Walk or take the monorail to the Poly and or monorail to the CR. You can rent a boat and ride around Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon. Lots of things to keep you occupied until party time.
5. The Grand has lovely views from all the buildings and nothing is very far from anything. I would keep it simple and not request anything.

ETA I forgot you were DVC. Sorry can't help with any location requests.
M
The boat ride sounds like a great idea! Thank you for that! That’s the second suggestion for the Grand Floridian Cafe, would you recommend breakfast? Lunch? Both?

Thank you very much! Especially the answer the answer to question 2! Will definitely have a look at the Grahd Floridian Cafe for breakfast. Our room is a lake view/ any suggestions? I’m happy to let the chips fall where they may unless there’s something I can request which may enhance our experience further
The lake view villas facing NE have a partial MK view from the balcony. However, there aren’t any on the 5th and 6th floors. The other villas face SE and have views of CR and Poly

M
The boat ride sounds like a great idea! Thank you for that! That’s the second suggestion for the Grand Floridian Cafe, would you recommend breakfast? Lunch? Both?
The breakfast and lunch menu is he same now, so it woildnt matter which. We also like it for dinner.

The lake view villas facing NE have a partial MK view from the balcony. However, there aren’t any on the 5th and 6th floors. The other villas face SE and have views of CR and Poly

Bars on this I don’t think I’d mind where I’d be roomed! Think I might just leave it up to chance!

The breakfast and lunch menu is he same now, so it woildnt matter which. We also like it for dinner.

Thank you. Will definitely look at the menu and start planning it in. It’s adr day for us the day after tomorrow hence the dining questions :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!