(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am taking a break from the Grand this year after my first CL stay there. I went in expecting a better experience compared to my past trips because it was the flagship's CL and honestly I had better experiences at BC CL a few days prior, GF in the past, and other resorts across property. Fortunately I was staying on a great AP rate an nowhere near the $700 price and it was not my first time at the GF. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. My next MK resorts will be CR in Oct and Poly in Dec. There is no way I can handle the GF lobby and monorail crowds again in December this year! It was truly insane last December!
I definitely want to stay at GF someday but not at $700 a night. Just not something I can afford or really would want to pay. I am a big fan of BC CL.

I can understand the crowds at Christmas time for sure. That would probably be a time I would want to stay at GF though as seeing the displays and tree every day would be awesome.

I definitely want to stay at GF someday but not at $700 a night. Just not something I can afford or really would want to pay. I am a big fan of BC CL.

I can understand the crowds at Christmas time for sure. That would probably be a time I would want to stay at GF though as seeing the displays and tree every day would be awesome.
It is my favorite resort/lobby that time of the year, but after the MK security change the guests visiting the resort kinda took over the whole second floor. It was impossible to get an elevator or navigate. I hope the updates to security improve this for future years!

Well, we are home from a lovely May stay. A full report will follow. But, I would like to highlight the superb and professional response to a medical issue my DM suffered. The RPC concierge personnel came to the party with speed and common sense. The Reedy Creek FD paramedics were at our room within 10 minutes of the call. If you have any problems during your stay, the RPC team will allay your concerns. We felt so secure and knew that if there had been any further issues, we were in a good place and would be looked after. The CMs went well beyond the call of duty. As usual, we felt very much at home and in an RPC cocoon. Now, the noise from Mizner's refurb is another story ... Yep, 1am work is pushing it, people .

Just by looks based on photos I still think I would choose the CR rooms over GF. Just my personal taste. Nothing about the GF regular rooms really call out to me especially at the price. Now the GF villas are something I would definitely stay in.

I think CR’s rooms are really nice from what I’ve seen on YouTube. In fact before we settled on doing a GF/Poly split we were strongly considering tacking on a night at CR at the end of our Poly stay just to watch the fireworks from our room. Last week we stayed overnight on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls for my birthday and were able to watch fireworks from our Fallsview hotel room, so it made us really want to try it at Disney.

What swayed us from it are CR’s grounds and the rest of the resort. To each their own but I don’t care for the look of it at all and don’t think I would be happy with it. But we really enjoyed our stroll around the GF after our spa appointment last fall. It sounds like a silly thing to be concerned with, but I upgraded to POFQ from Pop for my August solo trip for the same reason. I like exploring the resort and the look of the grounds matters as much as the room to me. I think the GF is beautiful all around.

If he is the owner there is no way he paid pack rate. He had to have gotten that room cheap. I paid $426 for a LV for Mem weekend. GV was even less!

I can’t imagine how cheap he got that room.

The grounds are always lovely from POP to GF, I am one of the few that have stayed at them (almost) all. SSR is my only missing but I use it has my hub to get from a park to DS so I visit it often. Brown edges? People that are that picky amaze me.

We had such a lovely family visit and enjoyed staying at GF, dust, stains, brown grass and all. I just don’t see those things, my eyes are too busy enjoying where I am and my families happy faces.

I watched his review and will be checking into the Grand in 3 days. I dont check moldings or frames for dust so I m happy to know my room will not be dusty. The stained couch would be an issue for me. They can either clean it or move our room. The technical glitch can happen anywhere but having the CM be rude would not make me happy either. I have good expectations for the resort even after watching.

I agree with a lot that's been said here. The technical glitch seems like it could happen anywhere and if it's a known issue and all over HIS boards then why wasn't he aware that this could even happen? With that knowledge (and the likelihood that he probably isn't paying rack rate and even if he is it's technically a business trip so...) it seems off to me...like this was a planned "bad" review. Attitude of the CM? I wasn't there but he did seem tweaked a bit to begin with and humans often mirror what they are given. Dust...I also agree it's weird to run fingers along moldings and such. I think the sofa's condition was not acceptable. I might've asked for a deep clean if I'd have seen that. I do know when people go into something with an attitude of entitlement they will often be disappointed.

I know that I'm still looking forward to our SL stay in August!

I am taking a break from the Grand this year after my first CL stay there. I went in expecting a better experience compared to my past trips because it was the flagship's CL and honestly I had better experiences at BC CL a few days prior, GF in the past, and other resorts across property. Fortunately I was staying on a great AP rate an nowhere near the $700 price and it was not my first time at the GF. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. My next MK resorts will be CR in Oct and Poly in Dec. There is no way I can handle the GF lobby and monorail crowds again in December this year! It was truly insane last December!
We enjoy GF but we had looong lines to wait in at monorail security when we were staying there one December. Definitely gets frustrating at GF around Christmas with everyone visiting. I’d suggested to a manager that they should have a GF guest line at the monorail during busy holiday periods. For the amount you pay to stay there...

Well, after 6 years of not being at Disney, we have FINALLY decided to come back home to the Grand Floridian!! I'm so excited, I can't even stand it! I know SO much has changed since we've been there, and I think we're all excited for Star Wars land. We're patiently waiting for the June 2020 packages to come out, and we decided on lagoon view. I love this thread so much because it's so fun to drop in on everyone's trip while we're waiting patiently for ours to come. If anyone has lagoon view pics, I would LOVE to see them!! Our first trip we were in Big Pine Key overlooking the water, and it was amazing. It's so fun to be back !!!

How exciting.....congrats on getting back to Disney and the GF. Have fun with all the planning :goodvibes.

I have to admit I was scared to watch the video when it came up on my YouTube feed. The GF has been a dream of mine since I was a kid and I’ve been so excited since we decided to try this split stay. I know nothing is perfect, but I’m worried when I hear about such negative experiences

I haven't watched the video, but just wanted to say to try and take this (and any) reviews with a grain of salt. Everyone's experience is different and while some people do have bad stays, there are others who have amazing stays. All resorts get both good and bad reviews, so I wouldn't worry too much. I hope you do try the GF as it really is a great resort :).
Don't be!!! It is amazing. I agree with the poster above re the review.

:thumbsup2

Well, we are home from a lovely May stay. A full report will follow. But, I would like to highlight the superb and professional response to a medical issue my DM suffered. The RPC concierge personnel came to the party with speed and common sense. The Reedy Creek FD paramedics were at our room within 10 minutes of the call. If you have any problems during your stay, the RPC team will allay your concerns. We felt so secure and knew that if there had been any further issues, we were in a good place and would be looked after. The CMs went well beyond the call of duty. As usual, we felt very much at home and in an RPC cocoon. Now, the noise from Mizner's refurb is another story ... Yep, 1am work is pushing it, people .

Glad you had a great stay! I'm sorry about your mom, hope she's ok. Good to hear the response is quick for medical issues. Looking forward to your review :flower3:.

I know that I'm still looking forward to our SL stay in August!

Hope you have a great trip :wizard:.

We are about 3 weeks away from our GF stay and I’m sorry, his reviews will not be enough to steer me away. I feel a lot of times people go in with negative attitudes and find reasons to complain. November 2017 was my first time staying at GF... by the end of the week, we both wanted to buy DVC there and became VGF Owners by the end of that month. I honestly don’t know how anyone could say anything negative about GF, it’s simply beautiful. I’m giddy with excitement about our upcoming trip. I’d rather people stay away, more room for all of us. 😁

Last edited:
I watched his review and will be checking into the Grand in 3 days. I dont check moldings or frames for dust so I m happy to know my room will not be dusty. The stained couch would be an issue for me. They can either clean it or move our room. The technical glitch can happen anywhere but having the CM be rude would not make me happy either. I have good expectations for the resort even after watching.

Have a great time!!!!! 😄

I hope everyone is ok!

So I can’t do the whole thing, what a whiner!

Lol, I’m a half glass full girl.

Interesting to hear others perspective . However some people are never happy.
You just about summed up most every review I've seen from Pete. Lots of whining and never happy. You are right some people just never can be. I'm of the opinion some bring it on just by the air they carry around with them, like walking around with a dark cloud. It is always interesting to see how some view things though. Even when they rarely like things

I may be wrong but I thought he is an AP holder. If so, he didn't pay $700. They are 40% rooms there right now. GF is one of the cheapest deluxe for the spring rates. That's why I gave in to DGD and stayed there last week. It is my least favorite deluxe resort and the second stay didn't change my opinion but had fine service. Especially the pool staff

Last edited:
You just about summed up most every review I've seen from Pete. Lots of whining and never happy. You are right some people just never can be. I'm of the opinion some bring it on just by the air they carry around with them, like walking around with a dark cloud. It is always interesting to see how some few things though. Even when they rarely like things

I may be wrong but I thought he is an AP holder. If so, he didn't pay $700. They are 40% rooms there right now. GF is one of the cheapest deluxe for the spring rates. That's why I gave in to DGD and stayed there last week. It is my least favorite deluxe resort and the second stay didn't change my opinion but had fine service. Especially the pool staff

He is an AP holder. He said it in his talk about the robes and how as an AP holder he will have a discount on the robe.

He is. It was a theme park view too. I haven’t looked at pricing so I couldn’t tell you one way or the other. I know for reviews he does typically like to pay rack rate.

He is. It was a theme park view too. I haven’t looked at pricing so I couldn’t tell you one way or the other. I know for reviews he does typically like to pay rack rate.
Ah. TPV is more but still pretty reasonable for this particular promo, I had it booked but switched back last minute.

Pete as a Disney expert should know that you cannot put two rooms in the same name and not get Magic Bands confused. In most states the person who is in the room must be named. Very disappointed in his lack of understanding. Do agree the cast member should have been more helpful and understanding. But sometimes a face is greeted by the same face.

Watched his review. We’ve stayed at the GF close to 10 times over the past 20 years and always have a great time. The couch was a bummer but he even admitted the room looked “beautiful” and then says it was “ok”. Also how can he run a site and webcast and not know you can use your phone with the mde to open your door. We have problems being able to open room doors almost every trip and have just come to expect it. I’m looking forward to being back in a MK view room in less than a month.

Last edited:
Pete as a Disney expert should know that you cannot put two rooms in the same name and not get Magic Bands confused. In most states the person who is in the room must be named. Very disappointed in his lack of understanding. Do agree the cast member should have been more helpful and understanding. But sometimes a face is greeted by the same face.
True. Two rooms, no problem at all. Done it many times, me as the lead guest. But, MB can only operate 1 room at a time. I knew that, have known it for years. If I need to access more than 1 room I can get a Key card. But, haven't needed that so far.

CM do need to not let guests get to them, or let it show that guests get to them. Because guests are going to get to them. Guests are jerks. Guests demand the impossible any more. Rude is becoming commonplace. People treat CM like dirt. It's awful what I've seen/witnessed at times. But, that is never an excuse or reason for a CM to behave badly to a guest, even the one treating them badly. You pass that guess along to upper management

CM do need to not let guests get to them, or let it show that guests get to them. Because guests are going to get to them. Guests are jerks. Guests demand the impossible any more. Rude is becoming commonplace. People treat CM like dirt. It's awful what I've seen/witnessed at times. But, that is never an excuse or reason for a CM to behave badly to a guest, even the one treating them badly. You pass that guess along to upper management

I’ve actually been through Disney customer service training because 10 years ago I worked for Chase Card Services and did CS for the Disney Visa cards and it was required on top of our already thorough training from Chase. Dealing with difficult customers was a big part of it. We had...a lot. It gave me a new appreciation for frontline CMs.

I’ve always felt that everyone should work some kind of service oriented job at some point, if only for the perspective. It’s difficult, thankless work, and too many people have contempt for it because they think it’s “unskilled”. Too many Disney guests in particular treat CMs like “the help”. Not saying that’s what happened here, or that it was right for the CM to be rude. I don’t want to make excuses because I 100% agree with you. There is always some kind of escalation process for situations like this. But at the end of the day CMs, despite their thorough training and Disney’s high standards, are human beings. What folks are saying about getting what you give is spot on. Unfortunately we only have one side of the story. Hopefully the issues are addressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter