• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's Greatest RECENT success

YoHo

If you have any poo to fling, now is the time.
So, I new I would be writing this message as I looked from my Stateroom aboard the Disney Wonder out to Freeport on Grand Bahama. The view was that of what looked like a derilect cruiseship graveyard. Smack dab in front were 3 Big Red Boats.

I hope the Mods will pardon what is in some sense a Trip report, but is really more of comment on Disney.

First I have never been on a cruise. I will say now that I will never go on a cruise that isn't a Disney Cruise, and you may take that for what it is worth.
I THINK I'm the first of the Rumours Heavy hitters to go on a Disney cruise and I must say that Every single one of you MUST go.
This was one of the best trips I've ever taken (well it was my honeymoon, so I guess I'm biased) We took the 4 day cruise. The food is on par with anything at the World. the ship is exquisite in every Detail. As we drove over the Causeway to Port Canaveral, you could see the Wonder standout while the Royal Carribean and Carnival Ships offended the senses. The Blast of the Horn as you leave let you know that this was a cruise as only Disney could do.
The shipboard entertainment was excellent. (Who wants to be a Mousekateer wins the award as best use of who wants to be a Millionaire.)

I can't say enough about Castaway Cay. (seceret hint, bring your own Snorkel Equipment)

I think we spent all day snorkeling.

There was one and only one negative about the Cruise and that was the Ports of Call. The 4 Day cruise stops at Nassau and freeport. to my mind Freeport is just a small version of Nassau and both are (as one young florida couple we met called it) Skeezy.

My wife and I would both recommend that you take the 3 day cruise instead of the 4 day and skip Freeport. I would BEG Disney to on the 4 day cruise spend two full days at Castaway Cay.

At any rate, the flaws with the Disney cruise were essentially out of Disney's control, so I don't fault them.

I remember a couple of month's ago AV suggested that the cruiseline could be managed by a different company and do just as well.

I respectfully disagree. I am a self proclaimed Poly Snob and these ships met the same expectations that the Polynesian sets.
Plus Disney is (from what I've been told) the only Cruiseline with Bathtubs in the Staterooms.

So, I would have to say that the Cruiseline is certainly one of the greatest successes of Disney.

A local retailer has been running a contest with the top prize being a Disney cruise. I don't know how many entry forms my kids have filled out. We have our fingers crossed.

Bathtubs a big bonus??

Ahhh, I almost forgot you were on your honeymoon!

Glad you had a great time.

While I don't know if Moderators qualify as 'Heavy Hitters,' ;) but I have been on the cruise - twice in fact. Once on the 3 day when the Magic was still doing them & once on the 7-day trip. And I agree that this is one area in which Disney is doing very well. The service can be excellent (and sometimes just average, but that's the worst it gets). The facilities are beautifully maintained, with nary an unpolished brass bit or un-lit lightbulb.

In DVC Landbaron's favorite department, I will cite the appearence of the many towel animals that we found each night on the 7 day cruise (none alas on the 3 day cruise) or the maitre d' who found a spare table at Palo's on Valentine's day last year for my sweetie (who used it to propose to me). The staff on the cruise ships are very in touch with the magic we all hope to see from Disney.

YoHo, you don't say whether or not you made it over to Serenity Bay on Castaway Cay, but it is one of the most peaceful afternoons I have ever spent. This is why they paint swimming pools blue...

Any of our other regulars been on either ship?

Sarangel

Yoho,

Congrats on your marriage. We took the 4 day cruise with the day at sea in 1999 and we're scheduled for the same this past september but didn't go due to 9/11 and went to WDW instead. DCL is an incredible time. It is some of Eisner's best work. You should try the 4 days with a day at sea next time. For me and DW it will be a 7day!!!:D

They don't do a day at sea any more.

Sara, I did make it to Serenity Bay. We spent the morning Snorkeling with rented equipment in the designated area. Saw the 20K sub and the Mickey. Then headed for serenity bay. The best place on the Island for those without kids. Plus, there is some wreckage out in the water that has tons of fish. we saw a larger variety of fish there then we did in the snorkeling area. we borrowed some other guests masks and spent all afternoon with our faces in the water.

We got the towel animals on the four day.

One thing I loved was that our entire dinnertable was made of of honeymooners. most of them from the pacific northwest no less. We got cruise birthday pins (I don't know why the head server gave them to us. I figure they're good for trading if nothing else) and Cake the first night.

My wife and I wore our wedding ears the entire first day and Cast members and Guests all recognized us after that even without the ears on.

I must say that my least favorite meal was Palos and In reality is was an excellent meal, but Tritons, Animator's and Parrot set such a high standard.....
Plus I don't really think of Italian as fancy. The Buffets were excellent too.

The Adult Pool and Hot Tubs were nice, but for your health, you should avoid them when leaving port (I still have When you Wish Upon a Star Ringing in My ears )
:bounce:

My Horn's bigger then your horn!:smooth:

When did they stop? They used to alternate?

Hmm, I could be wrong.

From what I understand, they only do the Nassau, Freeport, Castaway 4 day now.

You made me go check. They still do the "day at sea" cruise.

It looks more like they are getting rid of the Freeport stop in August.

DCL Rates and Dates

Well that's good. Freeport is both boring and Depressing.

Congratulations! And I'm so glad that you enjoyed the cruise.

Your comment about the bathtubs did send me on a search. I have always dreamed of traveling in grand style on one of the old-style cruise ships. So I immediately headed for my much-thumbed ;) Cunard website to check out the amenities of the wonderful Queen Elizabeth II. This ship does have bathtubs but NOT in every stateroom!

Good show Disney especially since bathtubs are definitely a big plus for me wherever I go! Thanks YoHo for the info.

Welcome back YoHo and congrats. I went in 1999 on 4-day Magic which had a day at sea. Having cruised on Celebrity, Carnaval & Norwegian (just back from Valentine cruise - no children), Celebrity ranks #1 (at least based on 1995 experience) and Disney #2. A full ship and kids were not in the way plus a place for adults.

Did you get to try Surial Bath? My wife and I liked Palo's especially the Chocolate Souffle. Yes, Disney did right on this one.

Chocolate Souffle was excellent, but the other courses were just not really exciting. No bad by any means, excellent in fact, but not really anything exceptional.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter