Disney's Legend

Frodo

Earning My Ears
The ride will be called Disney's Legend and incorporate the elements of the classic battle between good and evil. The audience will be cast back into the world of myth, encountering our history's most feared creatures in a quest to bring balance back to their world and return us to ours. The theme will be state of the art and bring back the magic associated with the name Disney. The ride will be the first ever to introduce tiered pricing; whereby people who choose to plunge themselves into feature-length attractions would pay more for the privilege. The ride will be a 30 minute thrill ride that hopes to introduce a new line of tiered priced thrill rides ranging from 30 minutes to an unheard of 1 hour. From what I can gather, the journey begins deep inside the rainforest, Scientist while looking for a cure for cancer has stumbled across an anomaly inside a hidden cave that until recently was covered by centuries of the unyielding growth of the forest. At the campsite, quantum computers show a tear in our universes time space continuum located inside the cave. The rip according to the computers has been slowly opening for over a hundred years. Researchers have been brought in to examine the cave in hopes to prove Einstein correct on his theory of wormholes in space. An expedition will be led into the cave using state of the art vehicles. The mission is to test the samples of earth in the sector and if possible pear into the space time rip. We are told our vehicles are remote controlled through the Internet. As the vehicles leave the encampment we are at sunset and can hear thunderstorms above us, the wind is starting to pickup and up ahead we can see at the entrance of the cave. The scientist putting their final touches on the cave opening. The state of the art animatronic characters pull back the years of growth to open the cave entrance and we enter the cave just as lightning hits the control station shutting down all power on the terrain vehicles and plummeting us down 3 stories into the dark cave. The vehicles are all Dolby surround sound and timed to the events of the ride. In the darkness of the cave we get a garbled apology over the radio and power resumes, we are also notified a fallen tree due to the electrical storm above has once again blocked the cave entrance. With head lights on again, we see a faint greenish glow ahead, with this illumination along with the lights on the vehicles we can make out a luscious tropical swampy murky growth which seems to have broken out of the space time rip. The growth covers the ceiling, walls, and floor of the cave. As we approach deeper into the cave the vehicles go slowly deeper into the murky marshy swamp. A burnt smelling mist fills the air, movement in the water increases and hissing sounds can be heard. Looking closely above the vehicles you can notice eyes inside the swampy canopy covering the cave. Anamatronic snakes curled on the vines above move as if to drop from above into the vehicle. We hear the scientist on the radio telling us we are close the space-time rip. The reception is now real low and static. The animal sounds are increasing and the mist is getting thicker. The closer we get the space time rip the closer the swampy vines get to us until finally before we enter the portal, the swampy viny walls are close enough to touch, the water has covered our wheels. There are things, creatures, slithering under the water. Over the internet radio we hear the scientist and a loud crashing boom, our lights go off again, the motor of our vehicle goes off, all we can hear are the creatures. A huge snake drops down from above it’s eyes peering into the vehicle, just then our headlights goes on and our engine starts once more and startles the snake back into the vines. Over the radio we hear our leader telling us to hang tight, he can’t control the vehicle and we are entering the time space rip. Thunder or some sort of loud noise goes off, we enter complete darkness and our pushed from 0-60 in 4 seconds. A John Williams score is synced to a colorful array of lights as we race through the wormhole and into the unknown. Darkness again as we slow down. We are greeted by an engaging mythic Celtic tune and are introduced into a large beautiful mystic forest with enchanting trees and beautiful fresh air. We exit another cave and see a ground of little hobbit like creatures fishing at a pond, They are singing what seems to be an old Celtic folksong, one has just caught a fish, to our right we are surprised by two of the little hobbit like creatures who pop out of the bushes and who point spears at us. “Friend or Foe” they say, their eyes squinting a curious squint. “You seem alright but this is our fishing hole, go find your own but be careful downstream, the dragon lurks, and a scary dragon he is.” The radio comes back on but barely audible, “I don’t have a reading, are you alright, I lost visual contact and control of your vehicle. We approach a rickety bridge the front has collapsed into the water. The other side has a large anamatronic troll who stares us down in a menacing way, “Don’t cross my bridge “. Meanwhile, the radio cracks on the scientist can’t stop our vehicle. We approach the bridge and plummet sideways into the ravine of water and splash into a white rapid river. We are carried pass the Hobbit like creatures homes, built into the ravines walls, they have there laundry hanging across the river and others are resting over the balconies, singing yet another strange Celtic type folk tune. The river ride is bumpy and wet it twist and turns. The John William’s Theme music picks up. Right before we fall down what looks to be a 10 foot drop a strange creature is standing by his rustic home by the falls, his hands raise up and our vehicle stops, he stares at us and in an usually calm and wise voice he begins. “Legends, we all have them in our past (the music becomes mystical), we hear about them in our folk songs, and stories around campfires at twilight. Some speak of good, others of peril. Heroes are born out of Legions. Their names…recorded into the stars. (Creature moves his stick toward the sky) The creature then turns serious and points his stick at the vehicle, “But…in legends, the title of Hero is never given …it is earned. You have been chosen travelers, (Music picks up, and on the other side of the river other little creatures come out in awe) being here is not by accident. You where chosen to bring back balance to our world, that will in turn bring you back to yours…I will guide your vehicle the rest of the way. You where chosen to combat fear, you will be tested, show no fear and bring balance back…show now fear and return home not as you where but has legends, and have your names placed into the stars. My honor goes with you… The creatures hands drop down, The music intensifies into a rousing theme score for adventure and courage and the vehicle drops 7 stories down the dark waterfall and splash down into the river, the river runs one way, the vehicle goes another, racing
Through old Greek looking ruins, a Cyclops looking creature with a horses body is standing to the right side of a pillar swinging a large club across the top of the vehicle, the vehicle twist right and another Cyclops is now in front dropping his club straight down, the vehicle veers right and up a hill. As we go up, there are a number of beautiful flowers and enchanting trees. The tree branches go across the top of the track. Small little creatures like Smurfs have created a wonderful magical village on this hill. They are singing an enchanting song while going along and cheering you on. The Smurf things on the tree limb is giving you encouragement and looking at their heroes in awe and you the rider continues the quest to bring balance to the land be facing your fears. The ride slowly climbs the hill until the top, The music changes into a darker theme of despair, and the trees at the top of the hill are evil and twisted. Ghostly images are hissing you to turn back. Evil looking witches are on the other side stirring a large pot. An old green long clawed hand is reaching out in despair from the pot. One Witch is starring straight at the vehicles with an evil wicked smile. She is saying, “Down you go, into the depths, let fear take it’s course.” As the vehicles turn through the wicked looking trees, we see a fiery rocky hole. With steam pouring up from the abyss. Lava flows from the side. Right before we are launched down into the fires of the underworld, we see two small child like elfish creatures who have come from a path just beyond the wicked trees. They looked scared, but tell the members of the vehicles to be brave and strong, bring balance by facing the fears. The music grows into a hideous scary theme and as you drop down into the cave of the underworld, we hear the screams of help and despair. Devil like creatures are popping up from the stalagmites and stalagmites and spitting water at the riders. A dark figured creature in a black hood and cape, looks up with piercing yellow eyes and raises his bony fingers and yells out, “Be gone, from our site.” We race through the fiery cave and into a layer of gold and treasure, and top of this beautiful treasure is a huge dragon. We disturbed the dragon, his eyes burst open and the head moves. The music quickly shifts to a rousing epic chase theme and we are whisked away up toward the exit of the cave and we hear the voice of the dragon scream as he awakens and begins the chase. Once out of the cave we see an anamatronic Knight, who ask to stay brave in the face of the dragon, only this can help him defeat the beast. The knight is standing in a beautiful garden just outside a magnificent castle. A gorgeous lady looks out the window at her knight with a flower in hand. We cut through the castle and see the other knights preparing for battle and some at the table trying to eat as a dog steals the drum stick out of an old drunken mans hands. We whisk outside the castle and there the huge anamatronic Dragon explodes above the rocks. Fire breathing. The knight stands above the rock and slashes at the dragon. We quickly turn back down the side of the mountain around the rocks to see the dragon dead on it’s back and the knight on top of its prize holding his sword high. The other town’s people are singing and dancing. They are thanking us for staring evil in the eye and giving them the strength to defeat their biggest challenge. We then enter into another valley and there is a big celebration, all the good mystical creatures are there singing and dancing for the evil has been freed from their land. The old wise creature who started you on the quest bows toward you and says you are now heroes in a new Legend written in the stars. He points his stick into the air and the nighttime stars shine bright and all the creatures cheer. As you enter the cave you hear in the back ground, the voice of the old wise creature, You have brought balance to our world, and you may now go back to yours. With that we enter the cave and the music revs up again and we speed off 0-60 back through the time hole and into our world. When we stop we are at the exit and can hear our scientist back on the radio in joy. He wants us back inside to tell all what has happened. The time space hole is gone and everything is back to normal. Life is once again good. This ends Disney’s legend. Riders upon exit will enter the Disney legend gift shop. One exit will take you back to the park; the other will open into the Disney legend’s world. A walk-through world filled with state of the art animatronic creatures and Dolby surround sound theme music associated with the ride. There will be a themed restaurant, a kid’s playground, and interactive games describing the history of myth. It will be one of Disney’s most ambitious rides yet and is said to up the bar on modern dark rides. Details are still be finalized and are subject to ongoing change. Cost has been reported to be in the 300-350 million-dollar price range.

Whoa, now if only I thought it would actually happen, I might be impressed. :bounce:

I don't know YoHo. Which is why I didn't post in the first place. It's Frodo's (like the name YoHo?) 1st post. I don't know him at all. And there's a lot of detail. Sounds great, except:
The ride will be the first ever to introduce tiered pricing; whereby people who choose to plunge themselves into feature-length attractions would pay more for the privilege. The ride will be a 30 minute thrill ride that hopes to introduce a new line of tiered priced thrill rides ranging from 30 minutes to an unheard of 1 hour.
WOW!! RED FLAGS all over the place. I would HATE to see gates within gates. I know Imagineering has looked at this before, but I think it STINKS!!!!

Kudos to the imaginative mind that crafted these ideas, but BOOOOOOO to the concept of tiered pricing. BOOOOOOOOOO, I say!

Yikes, I see DVC posted while I was reading. We agree again, uh-oh.

...I actually don't mind the tiered pricing if it means we'd see some of the old style Disney quality.

Oddly enough, out of that whole dissertation, this was the part that made me think the whole thing was a steaming load:
Scientist while looking for a cure for cancer has stumbled across an anomaly inside a hidden cave
No wonder cancer has remained such a plague, we've been expecting clinicians to do the job of spelunkers...

Jeff

Originally posted by Frodo
The ride will be a 30 minute thrill ride that hopes to introduce a new line of tiered priced thrill rides ranging from 30 minutes to an unheard of 1 hour.

Wishful thinking...

Sounds like some of the posts on the Imagineering forum.

Frodo, here's a twist: When the old man waves his hand and stars appear, what if the stars formed a constellation looking like the party in the ride vehicle. Picture taken before the journey, then with some image processing, turn it into an outline of the edges (easy Photoshop-type process), then use the edges to control the light layout at the end. Could probably be done with a projector and a scrim.

Great story - imagineering at it's heart is always a great story.

Keep in mind that Themedattraction.com is not an official site in any way, shape, or form. Nate is a fun guy and a great Jungle Skipper, but last I heard (this has been a while, mind you) not an imagineer.
BTW, with all of the cuts recently I don't think this is anything more than a wild dream cooked up by a fan. WDI FL is a skeleton crew right now, with only two show writers (one of whom spends most of his time in CA), virtually no art dept, and minimal clerical.

Wow. The thing on pricing is that each guest might be given a card and they will be able to ride mabey one or two long rides. Why? So they can take away from the long lines at Test Track, Splash Mountain, Kilimanjaro Safari's, or Rock n' Rollercoaster!

LET'S HOPE IT IS REAL...

Originally posted by Safari Steve
Keep in mind that Themedattraction.com is not an official site in any way, shape, or form. Nate is a fun guy and a great Jungle Skipper, but last I heard (this has been a while, mind you) not an imagineer.
BTW, with all of the cuts recently I don't think this is anything more than a wild dream cooked up by a fan. WDI FL is a skeleton crew right now, with only two show writers (one of whom spends most of his time in CA), virtually no art dept, and minimal clerical.

Didn't mean to imply that Frodo might actually work for WDI, that's why I used "imagineering" with the lowercase "I".

BTW, Steve, I'm going to be heading to WDW Sunday. Are you working next week?

Sorry, I'll be too busy running wardrobe for TheatreUCF's production of 'When You Comin' Back, Red Ryder?' Have a great trip, though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter