Disney's Magical Express -- Luggage Tag Info

Chip 'n Dale Express

Can't stay put!<br><font color=purple>I met lots o
There seems to be a bit of confusion about when to use the DME tags, so here's an explanation. Please read though this first post before posting a question, as it might answer your question.

What do DME luggage tags look like, and how do I get them?
DME luggage tags will come in your DME Transportation Booklet. They are yellow in color. On the tags will be a Mickey head with your resort region, your resort name, your name, and a bar code. They are very similar to airline routing tags. When attaching them to your bag, you will attatch them to the bag's handle, just like an airline routing tag.

I got some luggage tags that are blue, and have Tinker Bell. Are these the DME Luggage tags?
No. These are just souvenier luggage ID tags.

Do the DME tags replace standard ID tags?
No. You should ALWAYS tag your luggage with separate ID tags.

I want to use the DME Luggage Service. What do I do?
The first thing you'll want to do is attach your luggage tags PRIOR to checking in at your home airport. If the tags are not on your bags before they get checked by the airline, they will not be taken care of. Once the bags have been tagged, you can bypass baggage claim completely. They will show up in your room automatically.

I do NOT want to use the DME Luggage Service. What do I do?
Throw away your luggage tags. You will need to claim your bags as normal, and take them onto the motorcoach. When you get out at your resort, you will claim your bags again.

Do I need to put my luggage tags on my carry-ons?
No. Your carryons will remain with you, so they will not be handled by Disney.

Do I need to put my luggage tags on any bags that I claim from baggage claim?
No. Once you claim your bags, you will remain in control of those bags. Disney will no longer transport them.

My airline is a participating airline. Do I use the tags for my return trip home?
No. Before you leave Disney, it's a good idea to remove those yellow tags from your bag. If the bag gets misdirected by the airlines at MCO, it will most likely be recognized as a DME bag, and get sent back to the resort.

I haven't gotten my tags yet!
Never fear. You have two options. You can claim your bags like normal, or you can have Disney claim them for you as if you did have those yellow tags. Bypass baggage claim, and go straight to the Welcome Center. From there, give the Cast Member your luggage claim tickets. They will create replacement tags for you, find your bags, tag them, and send them to your resort.

My plane may arrive late. What are the hours for Disney's Magical Express.
Transportation currently runs 24/7.
Inbound luggage transfer has recently changed. There will be no automatic transfer for luggage between the hours of 10pm and 5am. Folks arriving between these hours will need to claim thier luggage prior to going to the Welcome Center, regardless of if they used the yellow tags.

Effective March 30, 2009, Disney's Magical Express will no longer offer luggage delivery service for arrivals to the Orlando International Airport after 10 p.m. Guests arriving at the airport after 10 p.m. will pick up their luggage at the baggage claim and take it with them to the Magical Express motor coach to their resort. This will allow late-arriving guests using Magical Express to have more immediate access to their luggage. Luggage delivery service will still be provided for Magical Express and Disney Cruise Line guests traveling to Walt Disney World for a resort stay who arrive on flights beginning at 5 a.m. until 10 p.m.

sleepycor said:
how many luggage tags does each person get?
Each guest gets 2 DME luggage tags, which is the same as the maximum number of checked bags that most airlines allow per person. If you need more, DME will provide more. DME will transport any checked luggage transported by your airline.

I plan on staying at one of the Disney Value Resorts and a I plan on flying in/out with Airtran. I want to take advantage of the DME, but I know returning home Airtran is not a participating resort airline check in. I planned on staying at a Disney Resort October 6th-10th and flying back the night of the 10th. But during the morning/day of the 10th I wanted to visit Animal Kingdom and I think check out time is 11am. Is there any place that I could store my luggage at the resorts. Any suggestions? Can the DME help?

Thanks!
Rachel

BettrDayzz said:
I plan on staying at one of the Disney Value Resorts and a I plan on flying in/out with Airtran. I want to take advantage of the DME, but I know returning home Airtran is not a participating resort airline check in. I planned on staying at a Disney Resort October 6th-10th and flying back the night of the 10th. But during the morning/day of the 10th I wanted to visit Animal Kingdom and I think check out time is 11am. Is there any place that I could store my luggage at the resorts. Any suggestions? Can the DME help?

Thanks!
Rachel

Sure...you can leave your bags with the bell services people at any resort. Then, return to your resort about an hour (no less than that) before you are due to be on the bus. I actually try for 90 minutes just to be on the safe side. Go retrieve your bags, and go to the bus stop. Not a problem at all. You just have to be out of your room by 11:00. So, pack up, give your bags to bell services, head out to AK and have fun.

Thanks for the answer goofy4tink.......do you know how often buses leave the resorts to the MCO-Orlando airport?

If we are not flying on a participating airline, do we have to handle our own bags on the way home? Or will they take our bags to the airport seperately?
Thanks-
Anna

zippnby said:
If we are not flying on a participating airline, do we have to handle our own bags on the way home? Or will they take our bags to the airport seperately?
Thanks-
Anna

You will be responsible for your own luggage if not on a 'participating' airline. Just take your bags with you, to the DME bus, and the driver will stow them underneath the bus. He will pull them out for you when you get to MCO, then you just go check-in and check your bags.

BettrDayzz said:
Thanks for the answer goofy4tink.......do you know how often buses leave the resorts to the MCO-Orlando airport?

I believe they have them running twice an hour or so, based on need.

BettrDayzz said:

You get a scheduled time for your return trip just like if you had been on the Mears shuttle or one of them. They tell you what time based on your flight. I don't believe you have much say so it's not a matter of just catching one of the buses.

got our package today. the vouchers have a barcode and our arrival date. do they take these? do we need some for our flight back? also, the flight changed on the way back - how should i update them?

Bring the booklet with you, and have it handy. It will make check-in at the welcome center go quickly and smoothly. Save it for your return trip, as they will need it then, as well. (The barcodes are scanned when you go TO Disney, and collected when you leave Disney)

As for the return flight, when you check in at the Welcome Center, they will confirm the return trip. Have them change it then.

I know I should be asking my TA this question, but thought others could benefit from the answer...I booked our trip through AAA and reserved DME, do we receive a 'transportation packet' with yellow tags or are there other hoops that we jump through to use the service? :wave2: Thanks!
(Great idea, btw!)

44sun said:
I know I should be asking my TA this question, but thought others could benefit from the answer...I booked our trip through AAA and reserved DME, do we receive a 'transportation packet' with yellow tags or are there other hoops that we jump through to use the service? :wave2: Thanks!
(Great idea, btw!)
Your travel agent should have signed you up for DME when they booked your trip. You can confirm this directly with them. If they didn't, you can either have them do it for you, or call DME yourself with your flight information.

The DME package usually arrives about 30 days prior to your travel date.

44sun said:
(Great idea, btw!)

In most cases, DME packets have been sent to the agent that booked the trip..in your case it would be AAA. They, in turn, are supposed to ship it right out to you. I would call your AAA agent, and double check to see if all is okay and to make sure that they get your packet to you directly.

Thanks for taking the time with my question! :thumbsup2 I will contact my TA! We're still far enough out not to worry. :) Thanks again!

just reading about the tags- we leave in morning- it only has a very small portion that you remove- i of course removed it all before reading it- does it really matter- I would think you could just stick them together but doing it THEIR way you are only sticking the ends together-

essmom said:
just reading about the tags- we leave in morning- it only has a very small portion that you remove- i of course removed it all before reading it- does it really matter- I would think you could just stick them together but doing it THEIR way you are only sticking the ends together-
Which makes it exactly like an airline/TSA luggage tag, the ones put on by skycaps or ticket agents. Those tags are looped, and are sticky only at the end of the loop. Same with DME tags. If there wasn't a loop, they wouldn't be able to move. If they weren't able to move, you'd have trouble gripping the luggage handle and then might end up tearing or otherwise mutilating the tag.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts