Disney's Magical Express -- Luggage Tag Info

Interesting. So a Guest with an onsite reservation but no paperwork is (technically) not allowed to use DME?
Again, according to Disney's agreement/contract with MCO, guests need DME reservations. CMs ignore the policy, not my responsibility. Walk-ups are prohibited. It's the result of taxi drivers, shuttle companies, etc, complaining actively about the loss of business.

I never said anything about having or not having paperwork. DME guests should have a previously-made reservation. Again, if CMs choose to ignore that, that's their business. If you want to just walk up without a reservation multiple times, fine.

I’m not sure the contract hasn’t changed over the years. They never refuse walk-ups. So unless you’ve seen the current contract that may not be correct today

I can't come up with any reason Disney would share that information with me, or any civilian. I know about the original change because the issue was in the Orlando Sentinel several times while it was being worked out.a

but everything I read tells visitors to make a resrrvation, and the service has three different portals where you can. Two are dedicated to only DME.

Fair enough, kaytieeldr, but I'm going to continue to advocate/share my experience.

The CM's at the DME desk have been terrific in checking my resort reservation and allowing me to board even when I didn't make a DME reservation. Excellent guest service!

My understanding is that while there was originally language restricting walk ups (due to pushback on the whole DME concept from the cab, rental car and other transportation services), that restriction was removed many years ago.
But even if that isn't the case, the current situation is that there is absolutely NO restriction on when that reservation has to be made. If you were to walk up today, with a valid resort reservation, but no DME reservation, the DME agent will instantly create a reservation for you before telling you which line to get in. By doing that, there is no violation, either way.

Steve

This may be in the thread somewhere already but I can’t find it...we changed resorts at the last minute, we already had our DME tags that say CBR on them and now we are staying at POFQ. The lady on the phone at Disney said to use the tags anyway because when they scan them it scans our reservation number and the resort change will already be noted. Can anyone confirm this or should we just leave the tags off and claim our own baggage?

The CM is correct. The words printed on the yellow tags are mostly irrelevant. The bar code contains your reservation number and it is that number that determines where your luggage will be sent. Assuming that your reservation number did not change when you changed resorts (you'd know if it did), you're fine using them.

Occasionally, someone new at the airport will get confused when they see a resort name on the tags that doesn't match what the scan says. That has been reported to cause bags to be sent to the wrong resort. To mitigate that, you can cross out the resort name with a sharpie (being careful NOT to mark over the barcode) and write in the new resort name. That should prevent a "helpful" human from overriding what the computer is saying.

Enjoy your trip.

Stevr

The CM is correct. The words printed on the yellow tags are mostly irrelevant. The bar code contains your reservation number and it is that number that determines where your luggage will be sent. Assuming that your reservation number did not change when you changed resorts (you'd know if it did), you're fine using them.

Occasionally, someone new at the airport will get confused when they see a resort name on the tags that doesn't match what the scan says. That has been reported to cause bags to be sent to the wrong resort. To mitigate that, you can cross out the resort name with a sharpie (being careful NOT to mark over the barcode) and write in the new resort name. That should prevent a "helpful" human from overriding what the computer is saying.

Enjoy your trip.

Stevr
Thanks so much!

We are using a private towncar to pick us up at the airport and take us to our resort. If we put the yellow tags on our bags, but not take Magical Express, will our luggage be delivered to our hotel?

1. Magical Express is not a luggage delivery service.

2. There is a specific, separate pinned thread for this topic.

Hi - I received tags in the mail for my parents who are vacationing with us and traveling to MCO. I only included their flight info for the DME reservation but one of the tags has my name on it (I guess because the reservation is in my name?) and they sent 3 tags that say 1 of 3, 2 of 3, 3 of 3. I am flying into TPA so I don’t need tags. My parents will most likely only check 2 bags. Is that going to be an issue when they grab the luggage? Should I just cross out on the tag and put 1 of 2, 2 of 2? I don’t want them looking for a third bag that doesn’t exist.

Enjoy your trip.

Stevr
I’m going to disagree. I had an instance where we changed resorts, about 3 weeks prior to arrival. The reservation number stayed the same. As your moderator I was pretty well versed in the correct procedure. My dd and I had our bags because we had driven in from visiting family in Tampa. But dd’s friend had a checked bag, with the yellow tag on it. She arrived about 5pm, we checked in at DME together. Well, they directed us to the Pop line, no we’re staying at POR. Nope, that isn’t showing mam. I showed them my reservation. It took them 20 mins to find the correct reservation. The CM said it was a good thing we didn’t have any checked bags. Told her we had just one. And there we went again...another wait...this time 15 mins. She came back and said we were good to go. Phew.
Got to the resort, tossed our bags on the beds and headed to meet a friend to watch the MK fireworks with a friend. Got back to the resort around 11ish, no bag. We waited until midnight, then called Luggage Assistance. Sorry mam, that bag hasn’t arrived yet. My dd and I had now unpacked our bags, we all wanted to go to bed. Called again at 12:30-12:45. Nothing yet. At 1:20 there was a knock on the door, there was the bag! The CM told us that the bag had been sitting at Pop, since 9pm. And that we should have crossed out Pop and put in POR. I told him we had always been told that if the reservation number stays the same, we should t correct anything. His response? ‘Well, that’s the only way we’ll know what resort it’s going to.’ I asked what the scan was for.. he had no idea.

Now, if I’ve made a resort change, I write in the new resort, having learned my lesson. According to the DME CMs at MCO, the resort was correct in the system....evidently not.

As far as just walking up and getting on a bus goes....it seems that policy has changed. If it was me, I would make the reservation, simply because I know you’ll get four different answers if you ask five people a question.

I booked DME for about 14 people (across 5 reservations) several weeks ago. I did it online. After I booked, I never got an email, confirmation, anything. None of us (we are at different addresses) ever received any luggage tags. We leave this coming Saturday.

In the meantime, we've decided to rent cars, but at least 2 or 3 of our party might need to take DME to resort from MCO depending on the configuration of the cars that are rented. I went back into the online system and tried to find a way to edit my reservations and I can't.

Anyone have any experience with the online reservation system. Obviously, I'm going to need to call them but I'm trying to figure out if it's normal to not get anything after you book online.

You could call, or you could just not worry about it. It's imported grant to have reservations for arrival, but it's not important to use them.

You could call, or you could just not worry about it. It's imported grant to have reservations for arrival, but it's not important to use them.

Agree. But I may need at least 2-3 seats on that bus and now I feel like I have NO reservation. I guess I was wondering for those people who have booked online before, did you get a confirmation or anything to let you know it's booked? I"ll definitely give them a call tomorrow. Just not in the mood for a phonecall today. BTW, thanks for all of your help.

Agree. But I may need at least 2-3 seats on that bus and now I feel like I have NO reservation. I guess I was wondering for those people who have booked online before, did you get a confirmation or anything to let you know it's booked? I"ll definitely give them a call tomorrow. Just not in the mood for a phonecall today. BTW, thanks for all of your help.
Go in to your MDE account and click Online Check in
It will say if you've registered for Magical Express or not.

Go in to your MDE account and click Online Check in
It will say if you've registered for Magical Express or not.

Nope, not seeing ANYTHING like that. I guess all the time I spent logging in 5 different resort reservations numbers, flight times, people, etc. on the online site was just a WASTE of my time. Sheesh.

Nope, not seeing ANYTHING like that. I guess all the time I spent logging in 5 different resort reservations numbers, flight times, people, etc. on the online site was just a WASTE of my time. Sheesh.
Yeah, if you see the option to add an arrival time, it didn't register
Have you used this page? It's never failed me
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/airport-transportation-reservation/
As for luggage tags, no worries. Anyone taking ME can simply hand over their claim checks to the ME CM. They will enter the info and the bags will be grabbed and taken to their resort just like those with yellow tags

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!