Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is a bit overwhelming! We are 37 days from our trip so some of the planning is starting to get really real. Any tips on rooms to request? Pros/Cons of different levels? Or parts of this thread to check out? I've looked at the building descriptions but somehow that's still overwhelming. :P

Convenient to main house and pool is helpful for us since we're with young kids. Rooms in good condition and reasonably quiet after 8pm. Don't care about view at all. Would love to not be super far from transportation, but don't need to be super close, either.

For our last trip we were at WL in a room located on the ground floor on a wing facing the quieter pool. It was about 100-150 yards from the bus stop. Though not an ideal room for many people, it was perfect for us because we were so easily in and out of the pool area and quick to the bus stop.

Any help?

This thread is a bit overwhelming! We are 37 days from our trip so some of the planning is starting to get really real. Any tips on rooms to request? Pros/Cons of different levels? Or parts of this thread to check out? I've looked at the building descriptions but somehow that's still overwhelming. :P

Convenient to main house and pool is helpful for us since we're with young kids. Rooms in good condition and reasonably quiet after 8pm. Don't care about view at all. Would love to not be super far from transportation, but don't need to be super close, either.

For our last trip we were at WL in a room located on the ground floor on a wing facing the quieter pool. It was about 100-150 yards from the bus stop. Though not an ideal room for many people, it was perfect for us because we were so easily in and out of the pool area and quick to the bus stop.

Any help?

I used Tikiman's site for help picking a room and longhouse that met our needs on our first trip which was planned 2 weeks before arrival:

http://www.tikimanpages.com/poly/the-resort/longhouses

Poly overall is extremely child friendly for my observation and I initially thought GF would better suit our needs (2 active grandparents traveling with a 8 and 11 y/o) but came to see that Poly gave the best compromise for bridging the gap between the 2 different generations. I asked for and received a room at Fiji on the 3rd floor with little regard for the view beyond not wanting a monorail view. Wound up with a marina view w/o then having to pay extra for the pleasure.

Fiji, Rarotonga, and Aotearoa, seem to have a lot of families, are close to the Volcano pool, the GHC and offer 3rd floor balconies and 1st flr patios. You will certainly hear happy people passing through on their way to the Aloha show; didn't bother me for the most part but I'm/we're used to urban type sounds. Our longhouse had an elevator that we rarely used but was useful for checking in and checking out...might come in handy for regular use by the "stroller brigade".

The above longhouses were the ones I paid most of my attention to so I can't say much about those that are centered around the Oasis pool what I didn't even realise existed until I returned home, LOL. I will say that this is a compact resort and I don't know of any longhouse that isn't close to GCH and transport.

I have a .....bias against the club level pricing, think it's a consumers' nightmare and feel it's a money grab that doesn't equal it's additional cost for the most part. I can stay at one of the finest hotels in DC for the price of a standard room at Poly with all the extras DW offers at a much higher price. To each his own on that level.

My DH and I stayed at Bungalow 18 for two nights just before Irma. We loved the bungalow and the location . It was our first stay at the Poly. We used the monorail to visit, eat, and shop at the GF and the Contemporary (BLT is our home resort). We did not plan park days as we wanted to spend as much time as possible just enjoying the bungalow.

We especially enjoyed the grounds. I've walked thru the Poly grounds on numerous occassions to get to the Ceremonial House - but this was my first time to really check it out.

The only negative to us (but wouldn't be for most people) was the lack of ease in leaving the property. My DH and I are within a 1 day driving distance so we usually go multiple times a year. We have found many off site restaurants, museums, etc. that we really enjoy.

The bungalows were outfitted with top of the line appliances. Wish I had that refrigerator at home. I really felt like it was a luxury accommodation.

If I were a total park junkie the location of the Poly would be perfect. My DH and I also really enjoy Disney Springs in addition to some off site activities. For us SSR location is perfect. I love staying in Congress Park and being just a few steps away from Disney Springs with all the restaurant and shopping options.

I was glad that they evacuated the bungalows before Irma. Bungalow 19 (next to us) had the roof ripped off. I would not have felt safe in a bungalow during a hurricane.

Thanks for the Review. We will be staying at the Poly and in a Bungalow in 23 more days. THis will be our first visit as we made Poly our family's home. We had lots of points to dump so we decided to treat ourselves on this trip. Just one question, what was the coffee maker like? We plan on bringing down our own and would like to know what kind of Filter they take.

Thanks for the Review. We will be staying at the Poly and in a Bungalow in 23 more days. THis will be our first visit as we made Poly our family's home. We had lots of points to dump so we decided to treat ourselves on this trip. Just one question, what was the coffee maker like? We plan on bringing down our own and would like to know what kind of Filter they take.

Awesome have a blast!!! And make sure to post a review upon your return :-)

How exciting! Hope you have a great trip :yay:.

Unfortunately, there's no direct number to any of the resorts. When you call the number associated with a resort, the call is routed to a call center. The CMs answer as if they are at that particular resort, but they are in a call center and not at the actual resort.

Thank you! Hopefully mom will understand its not the resort itself and they'll just transfer her to either the resort or our room directly. Or as I told her, make life easy and just call my cell. :)

I'm just curious, since you are staying CL did you also submit requests through DSS, or just doing TP? That's what I always do (send via DSS). On occasion I have also e-mailed them later "just to make sure" my requests were noted as I intended.

Note that rooms are assigned 3-5ish days out, so you've probably already been assigned.

Hope you have a great trip.

Thank you! I only did the request through TP and when I spoke to DSS yesterday they said they wont assign the room until today which I found very odd, but she did note my requests. At this point I guess it'll be what it'll be. :)

. Just one question, what was the coffee maker like? We plan on bringing down our own and would like to know what kind of Filter they take.

The coffee makers use single-serve pods (not K-cups) that are already in filters, from what I can remember. Not great coffee, but not the worst I've had either.

The coffee makers use single-serve pods (not K-cups) that are already in filters, from what I can remember. Not great coffee, but not the worst I've had either.

Just FYI and please forgive the correction, but I think the PP said they are staying in a Bungalow. The DVC rooms (and Bungalows) have a standard coffee pot, not the pods like on the resort side.

@Stratus22 I can't remember what kind of filter those coffee pots take... I know I've seen it around here so I'll see if I can find it.

Thank you! Hopefully mom will understand its not the resort itself and they'll just transfer her to either the resort or our room directly. Or as I told her, make life easy and just call my cell. :)

You're welcome! I agree, it would be easier for her to call your cell ;).

Hope you have a great time! :goodvibes

Hey October Poly Peeps!!!

Magic Kingdom hours have FINALLY been extended!!!

1:00 am EMH closing and Midnight regular closings!

Some nights at AK are now 8:30, 9:00 or 9:30!!!

About time! I would have been shocked if they closed earlier than midnight on a Saturday night!

Does anyone have any experience with the Poly Villa Deluxe Studios? I haven't stayed there since 1997 and I know the location of the buildings but was curious about the walk. We are waiting for discounts and want GF but Poly is doable at rack rate for us if we do either standard view or the studio. Currently the standard view is not available when we want to travel. Thanks!

PS - asking for my hubby who is blind. No stamina issues anymore but i worry about a long and windy path and him getting lost if he wants to walk by himself.

Any help?

We've never been to the Poly either, and WL is also our favorite. We wanted the option of monorail this trip though and will plan to do WL when the kids are a bit older. We have 3 young kids too (4, 2, 2) and our main request was first floor so we don't have to lug the strollers up and down. We did also request Rarotonga or Niue to be close to GCH/monorail, but I'll be fine with any of them I think. I didn't want to press my luck with Samoa since we booked standard at a discount.

Just booked my first ever Poly stay for April 15-21! Friends of ours rented us their dvc points so we are staying in a studio! I am so excited. This will be my 16th WDW trip! My last 2 trips we stayed at the Contemporary so I'm excited for the change. This will actually be my DH's first real Disney trip. He's only visited MK once and Epcot once while staying elsewhere. I usually travel with my mom to Disney. I've been following this thread for some time now and have enjoyed reading all of the helpful tips!

Hi everyone. We just returned from 8 nights at the Poly and I just wanted to share some thoughts on our trip. We had a standard room in Aotearoa on the first floor. We asked for a first floor room as we were travelling with two other families and wanted to be able to all sit outside together when the kids went to bed. Although we originally requested Niue, we were very happy with our location. We had a room with a view of the monorail, and it was very quiet outside of our rooms with little to no foot traffic. Getting anywhere on this resort is really not a problem, and the grounds are beautiful. We walked to the TTC with no trouble at all, as well as walking to the GF along the paths. We enjoyed many breaks around the Volcano pool and the kids really enjoyed the slide there. The activities in the afternoon for the kids were also fun. We really enjoyed all of the food onsite including Captain Cooks, Ohana (breakfast and dinner) as well as probably the best value, the Polynesian Twilight Feast for room service one evening. We had no trouble at all with Disney transportation including the buses, monorails, and boat service. Trader Sams is a must do for anyone who would like to sit down for a fun drink with friends. We went twice, and had great service and fun antics on both occasions. One of our favourite features of staying at the Poly had to be the nightly view of HEA from the beach or pool. It was a great way to finish a day when you are not in the parks to experience them there. It was really nice to be able to watch from the pool with the music piped in. In all, we have to say that we really enjoyed our stay at the Poly, and would recommend it to anyone. We stayed at WL on our last trip and thought that would be hard to beat. Although we like the pool better at WL, it was hard to beat the convenience at the Poly and all of the amenities it has to offer. We will definitely return at some time in the future.

You sold me! :D We've booked for August 2018...............................well we actually booked last month :P but your review is exactly what my wife and I are hoping for. We try to visit the Poly once on every trip, staying there will be quite a treat!

Doug :goofy:

We've never been to the Poly either, and WL is also our favorite. We wanted the option of monorail this trip though and will plan to do WL when the kids are a bit older. We have 3 young kids too (4, 2, 2) and our main request was first floor so we don't have to lug the strollers up and down. We did also request Rarotonga or Niue to be close to GCH/monorail, but I'll be fine with any of them I think. I didn't want to press my luck with Samoa since we booked standard at a discount.

We are just the opposite. ALL our Disney trips with the kids had WL as our home and we all loved it then. This last trip, DH decided to ditch our kids (a.k.a. young adults) and go for the Poly. We fell in love and can't wait to return next May. We had a 3rd floor Samoa room overlooking the Oasis pool. We booked standard room again and only requested 3rd floor, near Oasis pool. There really is not a bad location in the entire resort. :)

Well, I'll most likely get destroyed for my thoughts on this, but my GF and I just got back from what was supposed to be a 9/3 - 9/9 stay which turned into 9/3-9/12 stay because of the Hurricane, but this trip really had me fall out of love with the Polynesian.

The grounds, still beautiful as always. The location as great as you can get. Though the rooms, and just our overall experience during the hurricane soured us.

Being confined to the room for 2 days straight, really let's you see every flaw in the room, and despite the fact the rooms were gutted and updated a few years ago, they are in major need of some TLC. Tons of awful spotty touch up paint jobs, where you can tell they didn't even use the same color paint to fix something. Parts of the room just falling apart, light fixtures crooked or damaged. Our first room was taking in water in just a normal Floridian thunderstorm two days before the Hurricane got to us. The bathroom was nice, except for the fact the dial for the water temperature in the shower fell off, and instead of fixing it, they just put the dial on top of where it should be. Then we found parts of the towel rod fixture on the ground under the sink. those also came apart and you could just pull the rod off the entire thing.

I know Disney rooms get a lot of use, but for the prices Disney charges, they really need to do a better job of keeping rooms in tip top shape, especially at the hotel that a lot of people claim is the second flagship next to the Floridian.

Though the part that really bothered both myself and my GF the most was how things were handled during the Hurricane. There was no order, no structure. Multiple times we received conflicting information about what would be open in the resort and what wouldn't. Pretty much every other resort on property constructed some sort of times guide for the events they were doing in the lobby. Nope, not at the Poly. Some CMs at the Poly claimed they couldn't do that since there are no rooms in the main building unlike other hotels, but when we told her all the All Stars had things to do, the Pop, and even the Floridian which while it has rooms in the main building, is the only other deluxe on property that has separate buildings to house guests on property.

Our main problem was the fact they knew the track of the storm, knew whom they had working there to ride it out, yet seemed to do things on a whim.

We felt at the price we paid, even with the 40% hurricane discount, it was too much for what was being offered. We were told they didn't want to do things in the Poly lobby because of the immense about of windows, yet that didn't stop the CMs at the Contemporary who had a bevy of events, and had pretty much everything open, including the California Grill located some 15 stories off the ground in a room of wrap around floor to ceiling windows.

Prior to the start of our Polynesian stay we spent 1 night at a refurbed Pop room, and despite it's small size it easily blows the Polynesian rooms out of the water, at nearly 1/5th the price. Yes you are giving up the location, and some 150 square feet, but if they end up redoing all the values to look as nice aesthetically as the refurbed Pop Century rooms, then some of the deluxes are going to have to really up their games, i.e. Poly, Animal Kingdom Lodge.

It's a shame because our stay before the hurricane was great, it's just disappointing that a disaster like Irma really soured us on the Polynesian. What really bothered us was in the days going into the hurricane we went to the front desk, and asked was there anyway to extend our reservation in case of it being impossible to get out of here, and she was very abrupt and curt with us that "It's not Disney's job to find you a place to stay, and I hope that you're not expecting a handout for a free room." It really took us back, we didn't ask for a discount, we didn't even ask to stay at the Polynesian, just would it be possible to secure a room on property for 2-3 days more if needed.

All I can say is that we most likely won't be staying at the Polynesian anytime in the near future, and will most likely stick to our true favorite that being the Wilderness Lodge.
Up north, we were all thinking of everyone in Florida and praying for you. It's really a shame that your vacation happened to be during the hurricane. The bottom line is, you and your girlfriend are alive. You survived one of the most horrendous hurricanes in history. I understand your disappointment in this situation. But, it is important to put things into perspective. These are first world problems. I'm certainly guilty of complaining about such things. I just don't think this is fair to the Polynesian and their CM's. They kept you safe. They didn't really owe you anything else.

To all those who lost loved ones, homes, etc., God bless you and comfort you in your time of loss. We will continue to pray for you.

How long would it take to get from Poly to HS?
Specifically wondering what time we would have to leave to make it for 8:30 Fantasmic with a fastpass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter