Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone back from Poly recently, like in the last month or so? I literally have to search to find a positive review of it lately. We’re leaving in a month and I’m hoping it will be as fun as AKL bc these reviews are really bumming me out.

Just got back yesterday from a quick trip. Had a GREAT time. No complaints at all.

Well, except for the Hawaiian holiday music loop that plays all day. Not a fan. Much prefer the regular loop.

But other than that, we loved Poly as much as ever.

What have you seen in the reviews lately? I haven't seen anything "new". The resort is older and is showing it's age. It's crowded in the common areas and loud. I think those are both true. Mousekeeping seems to be hit or miss. Some people may have expectations for Disney resorts that they are similar to other resorts in the same price range. But, we know that there is a big premium for staying at Disney, especially on a monorail resort.

We've never stayed at Poly, though I visit every time I'm at Disney and like it. I hope it doesn't disappoint for our trip.

What have you seen in the reviews lately? I haven't seen anything "new". The resort is older and is showing it's age. It's crowded in the common areas and loud. I think those are both true. Mousekeeping seems to be hit or miss. Some people may have expectations for Disney resorts that they are similar to other resorts in the same price range. But, we know that there is a big premium for staying at Disney, especially on a monorail resort.

We've never stayed at Poly, though I visit every time I'm at Disney and like it. I hope it doesn't disappoint for our trip.

And nothing about those points is "new". I'd guess if you've stayed there before it's all fine but like you say if people are expecting non-Disney Deluxe they're going to be disappointed.

I made the mistake of going on Yelp today, people complain about everything. I also go and read reviews about AKL to gauge the stuff angry people are writing and I know none of the complaints about AKL are things I’d be upset about. I probably just need to stop reading.

Question for the Poly experts: if you are rope dropping MK, how much time before park opening do you try to give yourself to get there?

For me, it depends on the MK opening hour.

For a 9AM opening, they let you in the gates 7:45-8ish, so you have an hour to stroll around Main Street up to the Hub. The welcome show is at the castle stage at 8:55AM. I will often leave Poly in the 8:15ish-8:30ish range, maybe earlier if I want to stop at the Main Street Starbucks (the line can be long).

For an 8AM opening or earlier opening, there’s no “hour on Main Street” time like with a 9AM opening. For an 8AM opening, I’d be leaving Poly no later than 7:30AMish. They’ll open the front entrance gates in the 7:45ish-8AM range.

Some folks may want to be more aggressive in their timing than what I’m suggesting above - I don’t like to do a lot of waiting around so would rather be more “right on time” than anything else. Others might be more comfortable allowing more time, even if that means sitting around.

Hope that helps!

Figured I’d quote myself and my reply to your post last week since I just did an 8AM MK opening yesterday (1/2) and wanted to relay the timing while fresh and I have some pics with time stamps to help me remember the exact series of events.

We left our longhouse to walk to the GCH approx 7:15AM.

Upon arriving at the second floor, we learn that the monorail was delayed (should have been running already per the Times Guide).

After a brief moment of panic, I paused and thought through the options:

1) Take the resort launch... I had just seen a boat leave on my walk over from longhouse to GCH, but it was VERY cold (42) and very windy, so didn’t really want to wait on the dock or ride the boat.

2) Taxi/Uber/Lyft/Minnie Van... while walking downstairs I searched for a Minnie Van on the Lyft app, none appeared to be close. So I asked for a cab out front and one pulled around within a few minutes (FYI, there are almost always taxis waiting in the Poly parking lot at all times of the day). We took the cab to CR and asked to be dropped off just past the guardhouse (saves a bit of walk time vs being dropped off at the CR entrance).

FWIW, busses were running as a replacement for the monorail, but I didn’t see one while out front so quickly made the decision to taxi.

I was in line at the CR/BLT walkway security path at 7:33AM. There were about 10-15 people in front of me. While usually very quick, security took a bit of time this morning. The people in front of me had lots of bags and heavy jackets which kept setting off the metal detector.

As we walked to the gates, they let people in approx 7:42AM.

I have our first castle shot at 7:46AM.

The opening show on the castle stage was at 7:55AM.

Even in the face of an unexpected monorail closure, we still made it just as they were letting people on Main Street (although barely), which was my goal to begin with.

Hope that helps!

Anyone back from Poly recently, like in the last month or so? I literally have to search to find a positive review of it lately. We’re leaving in a month and I’m hoping it will be as fun as AKL bc these reviews are really bumming me out.

We were there 12/8-12/12 and had a fantastic stay! The monorails ran flawlessly, bus service was very good, the room was well-cleaned every day, and the resort was beautiful. Our room was in Niue, first floor, which was such a great location close to the GCH and bus stop. We also enjoyed the live music at the Tiki Terrace and the drinks at Tambu and the Oasis pool bar.

The only neutral thing I could say is that it’s probably about time for the rooms to be facelifted. What has it been, 5-6 years? But all resorts go in cycles like that and our room seemed to be in fine shape with no problems or unacceptable wear. Like AKL, the rooms are a little on the dark side. Loved the double sinks and generous countertop space in the bathroom.

I also love AKL; it and the Polynesian have the same sort of adventure “vibe.” To me the Poly is more whimsical-exotic, but a lot more convenient.

Have a great trip!

Oh no, that's horrible! You'll definitely find plenty of good reviews on this thread. We stay at the Poly every year because it's by far our favorite resort. The theming, the tropical feel, the views, the pools, the food - we love it all and more! It's the most convenient to both monorails (MK one in the GCH and a short walk to TTC for Epcot). I love the CMs and the activities. We enjoy the "quiet" pool (I know it's not called that anymore but it will always be the quiet pool to us) more, especially after the renovation. There's no other resort that truly feels like a tropical vacation more than the Poly! Some people are too nitpicky - we've never had a problem there. Even when we had a minor flood in our bathroom a couple of years ago (a pipe broke in the ceiling), the CMs were so great and moved us quickly to a Castle view in CL! Feel free to ask any questions - we are here to help and make you feel better about the upcoming vacation!

Wooo hooo...I booked today!

5 nights at the Poly (after 5 nights at the BC). I really wanted to stay in a studio just for the 2 showers but the *deal* was too good to pass up and hope I could get a studio, plus DH likes daily mousekeeping.

I almost feel like I am cheating on my spouse, lol, by staying at the BC. I mean I will be so sad not seeing the castle on arrival day from the pool but at least I get the last day of our vacation to stare at it all day long.

Ok it’s not til August but it will come quick!

Sharing a few pics from my NYE Poly adventure this past weekend. Happy to answer any questions for those thinking about going next year. All-in-all, it was a great trip and I was very glad to be at a monorail resort over this particular holiday.

NYE activities sheet....
IMG_2488.jpg

There beach was fenced off in an area roughly from the resort launch boat dock to the fire pit for Poly and ADR guests only. Enforcement was active on 12/31. These fences were also up on 12/30 but I'm not sure about enforcement.
IMG_2528.jpg

Definitely not up to MK sidewalk tape standards.
IMG_2541.jpg

The castle spotlights lit up the sky both nights.
IMG_2089.jpg

Sharing a few pics from my NYE Poly adventure this past weekend. Happy to answer any questions for those thinking about going next year. All-in-all, it was a great trip and I was very glad to be at a monorail resort over this particular holiday.

NYE activities sheet....
View attachment 291995

There beach was fenced off in an area roughly from the resort launch boat dock to the fire pit for Poly and ADR guests only. Enforcement was active on 12/31. These fences were also up on 12/30 but I'm not sure about enforcement.
View attachment 291996

Definitely not up to MK sidewalk tape standards.
View attachment 291997

The castle spotlights lit up the sky both nights.
View attachment 291998

Thanks for sharing your pictures! Hope you had a great trip!

I am getting there on Sunday. My friends are there now.

Hope you have a great trip :wizard:.

The theming, the tropical feel, the views, the pools, the food - we love it all and more! It's the most convenient to both monorails (MK one in the GCH and a short walk to TTC for Epcot). I love the CMs and the activities. We enjoy the "quiet" pool (I know it's not called that anymore but it will always be the quiet pool to us) more, especially after the renovation. There's no other resort that truly feels like a tropical vacation more than the Poly!

I agree! :thumbsup2

Wooo hooo...I booked today!

5 nights at the Poly (after 5 nights at the BC).

What a great split, the best of both worlds! Enjoy the planning :).

Thanks for the nice pics. Glad you had another great Poly stay :goodvibes.

Figured I’d quote myself and my reply to your post last week since I just did an 8AM MK opening yesterday (1/2) and wanted to relay the timing while fresh and I have some pics with time stamps to help me remember the exact series of events.

We left our longhouse to walk to the GCH approx 7:15AM.

Upon arriving at the second floor, we learn that the monorail was delayed (should have been running already per the Times Guide).

After a brief moment of panic, I paused and thought through the options:

1) Take the resort launch... I had just seen a boat leave on my walk over from longhouse to GCH, but it was VERY cold (42) and very windy, so didn’t really want to wait on the dock or ride the boat.

2) Taxi/Uber/Lyft/Minnie Van... while walking downstairs I searched for a Minnie Van on the Lyft app, none appeared to be close. So I asked for a cab out front and one pulled around within a few minutes (FYI, there are almost always taxis waiting in the Poly parking lot at all times of the day). We took the cab to CR and asked to be dropped off just past the guardhouse (saves a bit of walk time vs being dropped off at the CR entrance).

FWIW, busses were running as a replacement for the monorail, but I didn’t see one while out front so quickly made the decision to taxi.

I was in line at the CR/BLT walkway security path at 7:33AM. There were about 10-15 people in front of me. While usually very quick, security took a bit of time this morning. The people in front of me had lots of bags and heavy jackets which kept setting off the metal detector.

As we walked to the gates, they let people in approx 7:42AM.

I have our first castle shot at 7:46AM.

The opening show on the castle stage was at 7:55AM.

Even in the face of an unexpected monorail closure, we still made it just as they were letting people on Main Street (although barely), which was my goal to begin with.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the info. Needing a plan A, B, & C is reality now that there seem to be monorail options more often. Better to be prepared than get upset.

I chuckled a little when you wrote that 42 is cold as I sit in the middle of a blizzard ❄️in the northeast with current temperatures of 22 degrees F, which is actually a heatwave since yesterday was 7 degrees and tomorrow will be -5. It’s all relative!

I'm a little late in replying with this, but we stayed at the Poly at the end of August and we had a wonderful stay. The room was clean and in good shape. We never saw any of the "trays being left outside of doors in the hallway" complaints that I always see. The staff was friendly and helpful. I really have no complaints and we were there for 10 days.

Just got back yesterday from a quick trip. Had a GREAT time. No complaints at all.

Well, except for the Hawaiian holiday music loop that plays all day. Not a fan. Much prefer the regular loop.

But other than that, we loved Poly as much as ever.
Oh dear G-d in heaven! I still don't know anything about the 12 days of Christmas Hawaiian style past the 10 cans of peaches and 1 papaya tree because ma brain just gave up after listening to the same.music.over.and.over.and and over. again. Those 11 pitiful songs were like drool to my ears and it's a good thing I dinna take the man's suggestion that we drink a shot after every restart of the loop cause it would have been the drunken grandparents' trip and DGD would've been scarred for life.

Our summer trip we stayed at Fiji, 3rd floor marina view (then part of standard) and wuvved it. Asked for but dinna receive it for our Christmas trip. This time we got Aotearoa, 3rd flr, monorail view. I despised it initially but then I always arrive at Disney in primo Grumpy mode it seems. Kept wondering why they thought a grrl from da Bronx would want to sleep next to the 3rd Avenue El for 2 weeks and think it was something special -what is this old home week?!:lmao:. A far as overall locale it's a nice place, fairly quiet and close to the monorail entrance, Lava Pool and restaurants. Since we no longer faced the front we missed most of the woo hooing of the Spirit of Aloha crowds' mad rush to the resort's bars. My only problem is that longhouse is way past due it's renovation date IMO. Perhaps if they charged less for it until upgrade time but we all know that's not going to happen.

Oh dear G-d in heaven! I still don't know anything about the 12 days of Christmas Hawaiian style past the 10 cans of peaches and 1 papaya tree because ma brain just gave up after listening to the same.music.over.and.over.and and over. again. Those 11 pitiful songs were like drool to my ears and it's a good thing I dinna take the man's suggestion that we drink a shot after every restart of the loop cause it would have been the drunken grandparents' trip and DGD would've been scarred for life.

Our summer trip we stayed at Fiji, 3rd floor marina view (then part of standard) and wuvved it. Asked for but dinna receive it for our Christmas trip. This time we got Aotearoa, 3rd flr, monorail view. I despised it initially but then I always arrive at Disney in primo Grumpy mode it seems. Kept wondering why they thought a grrl from da Bronx would want to sleep next to the 3rd Avenue El for 2 weeks and think it was something special -what is this old home week?!:lmao:. A far as overall locale it's a nice place, fairly quiet and close to the monorail entrance, Lava Pool and restaurants. Since we no longer faced the front we missed most of the woo hooing of the Spirit of Aloha crowds' mad rush to the resort's bars. My only problem is that longhouse is way past due it's renovation date IMO. Perhaps if they charged less for it until upgrade time but we all know that's not going to happen.

I was going to request that building. You really think it’s more run down?

I was going to request that building. You really think it’s more run down?
OK...this is what I'm going to do. Both the man and I spent most of our working lives working in the hospitality industry. His last job was as a general manager of a small NYC chain (3 hotels) and I worked primarily for large corporations. We both have different views of what to expect in hotels with me being much more persnickity than he. Translation? I go on vacation and actually check under the mattresses and he sighs, unpacks and tells me to hurry up cuz he wants to go to the pool/eat/whatever, LOL.
I'm going to wait until he returns from his walk, ask his opinion and then temper it with my own in another post. I will say for a brief moment I felt like asking for a room change but by day 2 or 3 I decided to go with the flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter