Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, everyone!

I just booked a stay here as the second part of our trip. We are so excited to be returning to the Polynesian after not staying here for a few years. This is the first time we’ll be staying on the DVC side of the resort and we are looking forward to our stay in one of these rooms.
We stayed in one of the DVC studios In July. The room worked out very well. We had our two adult sons with us. Our boys slept on the couch bed and the pull down bed. They said the beds were comfortable but not quite as a good as a bed. The extra shower saved a lot of time too.

We stayed in one of the DVC studios In July. The room worked out very well. We had our two adult sons with us. Our boys slept on the couch bed and the pull down bed. They said the beds were comfortable but not quite as a good as a bed. The extra shower saved a lot of time too.

Thanks for the information about the beds. I was wondering if they were comfortable. I am really looking forward to having a second shower.

Thanks for the information about the beds. I was wondering if they were comfortable. I am really looking forward to having a second shower.
My boys are average height but also very slim. That may have made than a bit more comfortable on the beds.

The washer and dryers were free in Moorea but they always seemed full. I just used the ones by Lilo’a Playhouse and paid for them.

Lilo’s playhouse is closed right? Are they replacing it with anything?

It’s closed in terms of the evening child care that used to be provided. They do still use that space for some recreation activities.

No word on anything new to replace this or the other former childcare options. It has been awhile, so seems as if the concept is to be no more at WDW.

Odd question, but can anyone confirm if Captain Cook's is still serving the Curried Seafood Stew? My husband loved it and I don't want him to get his hopes up if it's no longer on the menu :)

Do you think the buses will be running early enough to get a PPO - or, if the monorail schedule is back to normal - does it run early enough from the TTC to get us to Epcot by, say, 7:45am?
In my experience, no. We always take alternate transportation when doing PPOs at Epcot.

In my experience, no. We always take alternate transportation when doing PPOs at Epcot.

thank you for your response! We are a large group with 5 kids so hoping to avoid ubers (not enough car seats) and Minnie vans ($$$$).
I think I will change our garden grill from PPO to 10am - less stressful for everyone.

I'm so excited. I had put in a request for a DVC room awhile back but wondered if we would get it. When the free dining promo came out I booked at POFQ for dates a week earlier than our preferred dates. I cancelled our DVC request but aparently they didn't get the request to pull me off the waitlist. Well today I got the email that our reservation had been secured. Of course I texted my husband to see what to do and he said "guess we are staying at the Polynesian". Seems like a great day. We get our preferred dates, instead of going during Labor Day and we get to stay in a lovely studio. The trip overall will only cost a few hundred dollars more once I add in food costs.

So tell me about the Polynesian. It will be my husband, myself and our then 18 year old son. Is the fold down bed pretty similar to a twin sized bed? We'd like to use the sofa for sitting. Anything we should know about the resort? Last question how far is the walk to the transportaion center? I'm assuming it's shorter than walking to monorail station at the resort.

I'm so excited. I had put in a request for a DVC room awhile back but wondered if we would get it. When the free dining promo came out I booked at POFQ for dates a week earlier than our preferred dates. I cancelled our DVC request but aparently they didn't get the request to pull me off the waitlist. Well today I got the email that our reservation had been secured. Of course I texted my husband to see what to do and he said "guess we are staying at the Polynesian". Seems like a great day. We get our preferred dates, instead of going during Labor Day and we get to stay in a lovely studio. The trip overall will only cost a few hundred dollars more once I add in food costs.

So tell me about the Polynesian. It will be my husband, myself and our then 18 year old son. Is the fold down bed pretty similar to a twin sized bed? We'd like to use the sofa for sitting. Anything we should know about the resort? Last question how far is the walk to the transportaion center? I'm assuming it's shorter than walking to monorail station at the resort.
Pull down bed is similar in size to twin bed. Sofa bed probably more comfortable for 18 year old. My boys used both on our last trip. We just closed up couch bed in morning.

I think Captain Cook’s was a great QS place for breakfast. Try the Tonga Toast there.

TTC is pretty close to DVC side. It is about a 5 minute walk. The downside is that security seemed to take a little longer there than at Poly’s monorail station.

I have to agree with bcuinohio. The sleeper sofa is way more comfortable, and can easily be folded up each morning. My 15 year old has slept in both and the sofa bed easily wins.

Proximity to the TTC is not bad, but we often just rode the monorail over - just to ride it!

To add a little more for the resort:
-Capt Cooks is a great QS for breakfast or lunch - besides Tonga Toast for breakfast- the Thai coconut meatballs are divine for lunch/dinner.
-Kona Cafe is a great breakfast spot, reviews are mixed for the rest of the day. 'Ohana is fun- better for dinner than breakfast (in my opinion).
-The bars have great vacation drinks!!!! Tambu lounge, Trader Sam's, Tiki Terrace, both pool bars!
-The Kona Island coffee bar is great in the morning and serves sushi later in the day.
-I find the bakery cases are on the lower end for Disney standards - but that is made up by Dole Whips!!!!
-There are island touches everywhere - the background music is one of my faves, love the torches at night, watching the fireworks with your feet in the sand!
-Look for the hidden Mickey's - they are fun to find.
-Easy walk to the Grand Floridian
- The two bathrooms are great in a DVC studio!
- Did I mention Dole Whips?
- Edited to add- for your refillable mug the Oasis Pool has a refill station that is closer to the DVC rooms than the Great Ceremonial House - a key thing for those that need coffee in the morning.

Have Fun

I have to agree with bcuinohio. The sleeper sofa is way more comfortable, and can easily be folded up each morning. My 15 year old has slept in both and the sofa bed easily wins.

Proximity to the TTC is not bad, but we often just rode the monorail over - just to ride it!

To add a little more for the resort:
-Capt Cooks is a great QS for breakfast or lunch - besides Tonga Toast for breakfast- the Thai coconut meatballs are divine for lunch/dinner.
-Kona Cafe is a great breakfast spot, reviews are mixed for the rest of the day. 'Ohana is fun- better for dinner than breakfast (in my opinion).
-The bars have great vacation drinks!!!! Tambu lounge, Trader Sam's, Tiki Terrace, both pool bars!
-The Kona Island coffee bar is great in the morning and serves sushi later in the day.
-I find the bakery cases are on the lower end for Disney standards - but that is made up by Dole Whips!!!!
-There are island touches everywhere - the background music is one of my faves, love the torches at night, watching the fireworks with your feet in the sand!
-Look for the hidden Mickey's - they are fun to find.
-Easy walk to the Grand Floridian
- The two bathrooms are great in a DVC studio!
- Did I mention Dole Whips?
- Edited to add- for your refillable mug the Oasis Pool has a refill station that is closer to the DVC rooms than the Great Ceremonial House - a key thing for those that need coffee in the morning.

Have Fun
Quick question about the refill mugs. We won’t be doing a dining plan but my son wants the mug. I know we can purchase it, the question is do they have one of those coke freestyle machines?

Is it awful that I’ve never had a dole whip? So many trips to WDW and it’s just something I’ve never done. I plan on changing that on this trip.

Quick question about the refill mugs. We won’t be doing a dining plan but my son wants the mug. I know we can purchase it, the question is do they have one of those coke freestyle machines?

Is it awful that I’ve never had a dole whip? So many trips to WDW and it’s just something I’ve never done. I plan on changing that on this trip.
They do not have a freestyle- it is the standard refill stations (several sodas on tap and coffee or tea).

Enjoy the Dole Whips- I love that the Pineapple Lanai added several flavors recently- the Classic Pineapple is amazing, but lime is really pretty tasty as well!

They are Coke Products just not a freestyle machine.

Also forgot to mention quiet pool is nearby. I can’t remember what time it closed but as long as you were in there before it closed, they didn’t seem to be in any hurry to get you out. There was also a filling station in there for refillable mugs. They would turn it off at some point in the evening.

They are Coke Products just not a freestyle machine.

Also forgot to mention quiet pool is nearby. I can’t remember what time it closed but as long as you were in there before it closed, they didn’t seem to be in any hurry to get you out. There was also a filling station in there for refillable mugs. They would turn it off at some point in the evening.

That's good to know. We will have drinks in the room but the teen is obsessed with the refillable mugs, not sure why, but he is.Knowing that there is a location nearby is nice. I imagine most of his trips for drinks will be in our afternoon resort time so closing time of the pool shouldn't be an issue.

Some miscellaneous things:

Not sure how often they do it now, but the torch lighting ceremony is always lovely. The fire dancer from the luau does it.

Get the Twilight Feast!! It’s ‘Ohana dinner as room service. It’s a wonderful treat and something you can only do as a Poly guest.

Most beautiful sunrises and sunsets on property, imo. Take the resort launch to MK at twilight at least once.

Semi-covered patios at the Oasis pool can be booked for a nominal fee. They’re not cabanas per se but are very comfy.

The Grand Floridian is a short and scenic walk away and worth checking out, especially if you’d like to try signature dining, the one thing Poly lacks. Poly guests can also use the fitness facilities there because they’re technically shared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter