Disney's POP CENTURY RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
POP newbie here, seeking room advice. I'm about to book for September during free dining. In your opinion, is the upgrade from Standard to Preferred worth the added cost?

I had the 90s a couple trips ago and found it a quick walk to the main building if you use the sidewalk near the parking lot.

Personally, I'd rather have a top floor than a preferred building. (no neighbors stomping above you.)

It’d be awesome if Disney offered access to AoA pools as a paid extra per day to Pop guests who wanted it. There are a few people I know (myself included) that would totally do it.
I love love love the Pop rooms way more than AOA. But kids go Gaga for the AoA pools.
I’m sure they won’t do this as it would blur the ‘no pool hopping’ rule resort wide. While I would love to swim in the Big Blue pool at AoA I choose not to pay their resort room prices so we are happy with Hippy Dippy and other Pop pools. I’m sure the AoA guests would be none too pleased either as they are paying more for their rooms than we are.

I’m just thankful to use their food court and buses!

News

New Aladdin trailer

https://twitter.com/lightscamerapod/status/1094777452935684096?s=21

Um... not sure on this one...
I Was surprised (and pleased) to see a blue genie. For some reason I didn’t think he was going to be blue in the remake.

Has anyone tried the in room dining at Pop for something other than pizza? I see the menu has expanded to include other things like maybe fried chicken and pasta. Just wondering what your experiences have been.

You're also paying for the kitchenette (well, fridge and microwave), the indoor access, the two bathrooms, the absolute 100% guarantee that your party of up to six will not be separated...

I make my husband stay home and work to pay for our trip so that we have no more than 4 people and can fit in any room! No need to pay through the nose at AofA!:P
(Actually, he doesn't like WDW; he is a workaholic. I just put up with it.)

Pool Slides have always been "off limits" for the Values,BUT Disney has been adding other amenities in recent years that were once thought to be "off limits" for the Values:

Fridges
Pool Towels
"In Room Dining"(expanded menu providing choices other than Pizza)
Full size Hair Dryers
Queen Beds(coming with the Refurbs)
Coffeemakers(coming with the Refurbs)
"Rumored" Full Service Restaurant possibly coming to the All-Star Resort

So,while I think it is still a "long shot" that the Values will get Pool Slides(and an even longer shot for Hot Tubs),I don't think it is totally unthinkable.:)

Pool slides were off limits...really? I thought they just wanted to keep the cost (and price) down. They don't seem to care now, with all that expensive refurbishing. That bathroom sliding door is heavy and impressive. I bet it costs a ton! And what about shower doors? Even the Grand Floridian doesn't have shower doors! In fact, NOBODY had shower doors until Pop started putting them in! Somehow they must have gotten over the "limits" rule. I'll bet anything that the Hippy pool will get slides. Why else do they need to refurbish it? There's nothing wrong with the pool!

I didn't think of hot tub but it makes sense. A hot tub can be big. My local park has a hot tub that fits, like, 30 people I bet. It has islands in the middle for people to sit. And why not hot tub? My local 2 star hotel has one.

In any case, when the Hippy pool gets done, the AofA people might demand to pay extra to get into Pop's pool!

That bathroom sliding door is heavy and impressive. I bet it costs a ton! And what about shower doors? Even the Grand Floridian doesn't have shower doors!

Doors are hard goods, i.e. not needing to be replaced nearly as frequently as soft goods like room separators and shower curtains. And 2,880 of anything that major would be at a deeply discounted cost per unit.

Pool slides were off limits...really? I thought they just wanted to keep the cost (and price) down. They don't seem to care now, with all that expensive refurbishing. That bathroom sliding door is heavy and impressive. I bet it costs a ton! And what about shower doors? Even the Grand Floridian doesn't have shower doors! In fact, NOBODY had shower doors until Pop started putting them in! Somehow they must have gotten over the "limits" rule. I'll bet anything that the Hippy pool will get slides. Why else do they need to refurbish it? There's nothing wrong with the pool!

I didn't think of hot tub but it makes sense. A hot tub can be big. My local park has a hot tub that fits, like, 30 people I bet. It has islands in the middle for people to sit. And why not hot tub? My local 2 star hotel has one.

In any case, when the Hippy pool gets done, the AofA people might demand to pay extra to get into Pop's pool!
I’ve been wrong before but I would be VERY surprised if they put slides in at pop. I just don’t see it happening. People are paying to stay there as is and especially after the skyliner opens. I don’t think they have any reason to spend the money on pool slides

POP newbie here, seeking room advice. I'm about to book for September during free dining. In your opinion, is the upgrade from Standard to Preferred worth the added cost? I don't really care about view but am unfamiliar with the walking distance for the food court (also plan to visit AoA food court) and buses. No mobility issues in our family, but we do travel with two younger children (2 & 7) and my mom (late 60s, active but has had a hip replacement). Any insights would be appreciated!
It depends. The preferred rooms cost roughly $15 more than standard rooms. That's almost enough money to pay for 2 Lyft rides to most parks or more than enough to pay for 1 ride to MK. The preferred rooms do cut down the walking by half, but if you are only going to go to the park in the morning then back in the evening, then maybe using the money for Lyft when the buses are crowded or late is a much better deal. If you are going to go back and forth from the room to the food court a lot or will be back during the day for the kids to take naps, then the preferred rooms are worth it because they are much closer to AofA also.

It depends. The preferred rooms cost roughly $15 more than standard rooms. That's almost enough money to pay for 2 Lyft rides to most parks or more than enough to pay for 1 ride to MK. The preferred rooms do cut down the walking by half, but if you are only going to go to the park in the morning then back in the evening, then maybe using the money for Lyft when the buses are crowded or late is a much better deal. If you are going to go back and forth from the room to the food court a lot or will be back during the day for the kids to take naps, then the preferred rooms are worth it because they are much closer to AofA also.
There are standard rooms facing the lake that would be pretty close to AoA as well

POP newbie here, seeking room advice. I'm about to book for September during free dining. In your opinion, is the upgrade from Standard to Preferred worth the added cost? I don't really care about view but am unfamiliar with the walking distance for the food court (also plan to visit AoA food court) and buses. No mobility issues in our family, but we do travel with two younger children (2 & 7) and my mom (late 60s, active but has had a hip replacement). Any insights would be appreciated!
There are standard rooms facing the lake that would be pretty close to AoA as well
Certainly, but 60s have few standard rooms and they are not guaranteed. If you get standard rooms, you take the chance of being in the 90s, depending how full the hotel is. With preferred rooms, there is no concern.
I wish there is a way to guarantee which building group (60s,70s, etc) you get, like in AofA you can choose the Nemo building or the Cars building. But Pop only has standard and preferred (and if you want pool view with each), that's all.
Last summer I booked 2 nights and I asked for the 50s. I ended up in the 80s, and I didn't think of asking to move. There's no harm in requesting 60s and if one doesn't get it, asking on checkin day for a different room, but the best way is to make sure by getting the preferred room, if one really needs it.

Only 96 Preferred rooms in the 60s are seemingly close to AoA, vs 192 Standard rooms. 396 Preferred rooms in the 60s are further away from the bridge than the Standard rooms, as are many of the 192 Preferred Pool View rooms.
Certainly, but 60s have few standard rooms and they are not guaranteed.

Has anyone tried the in room dining at Pop for something other than pizza? I see the menu has expanded to include other things like maybe fried chicken and pasta. Just wondering what your experiences have been.

We tried to order in room dining once, but the phone was never answered :sad:

I would request 1960s/Lake View.:)

Those Rooms are considered Standard,but are close to Classic Hall,right across Generation Gap Bridge from AoA and have the gorgeous views of Hourglass Lake.:)

This is our favorite area as well! We always ask for top floor also. It's such a nice quiet area.

Wow, that stinks!

Yeah. It was pretty late and I think it was after we drove in and we were a little farther from the food court that time so we just didn't feel like walking over there. But, I was able to talk DH into going to the food court for us :laughing:

That is the only time we tried though so it was hopefully just a fluke!

Here are my thoughts... We've stayed at Pop 3 times (prior to AoA opening -- now we get a suite there). Two of the 3 times we had (in our opinion) great room locations. The first time was lake view rooms in building 4 of the 60's. Felt close to everything (and at that time, those rooms were "preferred" and it was a free upgrade for us so it felt *really* good!). The second time we ended up in building 2 of the 50's which felt like a MAJOR hike. It rained a lot that week and I think that added to the feeling of being out in left field every time we wanted to go to the food court or buses. On our 3rd trip, we were again assigned the same rooms in Building 2 and I asked to be moved. We were put in building 9 which was very close to the bus stops and not too far from the food court. We decided that if we ever stay at Pop again (which we likely will) we would book a preferred room just so we didn't end up too far away. My husband also has an artificial hip and while he doesn't have a problem with it in general, he does find that after walking around the parks for hours during the day it tends to "lock up" during the bus ride back to the resort at night. Walking from the bus stop to the room can be very painful some nights. I'm just mentioning that in case your mom has the same issue. I certainly wouldn't say people *have* to book a preferred room at Pop to get a good location, but sometimes a preferred room location can be very important.

Looking forward to our first stay at Pop this June. We have family staying at AoA. About how long is the walk between the two?

It's gonna vary depending on where in POP and AOA you're going, but it should be 5-10 min.

It's short enough that I hop off the Magical Express at AOA and walk to POP without having had a proper coffee yet that day ;)

While they could add the same amenities as moderates, they can’t make the rooms bigger. The room size alone keeps many families of three or four away from the values, especially for longer stays. I can’t see the pricing ever being on par with the moderates for that reason.
I definitely agree-the Moderates will always be priced above the Values,if for nothing else,the square footage difference.

But Disney is definitely PLUSSING the Values BIG TIME-the refurbed rooms at POP,other then size,have all the amenities of a Moderate room.

Also,though not mentioned often,another huge advantage Moderates used to have over Values was Watercraft Rentals,which are now gone.

It definitely does look like Disney is headed to a "revamping" of its Resorts' categories terminology.

I don't know what they will be called,whether it will be "location-based" terminology or something else,but I think the days of the All-Star Resort,Pop Century amd Art of Animation being called "VALUE" Resorts are numbered.:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!