Disney's POP CENTURY RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So according to Touring Plans my room request was sent today, so fingers crossed!

I can confirm they are doing this. For our September trip I realized just 3 days before our trip that I'd forgotten to fill in our room request. I did so and the following morning received notification that the FAX had been sent. We received the location we wanted on a different floor and ended up being very happy with our location!

Thank you - that's good to know!

Sixties facing the lake/lake view :).

That sounds pretty awesome. :) Looking at the map it also looks like it's close to the running path around Hourglass Lake... I have grand visions of me doing a couple of runs around the lake! (This may be a bit ambitious though since I'm doing the Wine and Dine 5k 10k and half, so may not have any energy left to go running around the lake!)

I will be staying at Pop for the first time in Dec 2019. I have booked a preferred room and during the online check in it asks "room locations request". I put 60's section and highest floor. Do they even read that request? Or is it a better and more reliable option to have Touring Plans submit a request as I get within 30 days to check in?

I will be staying at Pop for the first time in Dec 2019. I have booked a preferred room and during the online check in it asks "room locations request". I put 60's section and highest floor. Do they even read that request? Or is it a better and more reliable option to have Touring Plans submit a request as I get within 30 days to check in?

I do both and make sure they match.

Silly question--do they still have the strawberry fruit compote topping for waffles and pancakes at the food court at breakfast? This is probably one of the biggest things I missed when I stayed at POFQ last month.

My family is booked at POR for January and I am actually considering switching over there from Pop. But....crap, I could add the dining plan for the amount extra it would cost! FQ was nice, but I kept comparing it to Pop. Mods are nice for some, but I think Pop is more my speed! I think a lot of what I didn't like was partly due to how small FQ is, so there is no need for a bigger gift shop/food court.

Is there a specific place that Uber/Lyft picks up at POP? I'm assuming by the buses?
They can pick up from the main entrance (where the buses are). This is what we do. I think there is a way to request pick-up from other sections at a designated spot near the parking lot. We tried this when my family was staying at AoA last weekend with mixed results. Most of the drivers went to the main entrance (despite my selecting Lion King in the app), and we had to call to clarify our actual location.

Silly question--do they still have the strawberry fruit compote topping for waffles and pancakes at the food court at breakfast? This is probably one of the biggest things I missed when I stayed at POFQ last month.

My family is booked at POR for January and I am actually considering switching over there from Pop. But....crap, I could add the dining plan for the amount extra it would cost! FQ was nice, but I kept comparing it to Pop. Mods are nice for some, but I think Pop is more my speed! I think a lot of what I didn't like was partly due to how small FQ is, so there is no need for a bigger gift shop/food court.
Is that the milky looking stuff they serve with Tonga Toast at The Polynesian? I haven’t ordered waffles at Pop yet but if they come with the same stuff I hope it’s on the side cause I thought it was disgusting.

Is that the milky looking stuff they serve with Tonga Toast at The Polynesian? I haven’t ordered waffles at Pop yet but if they come with the same stuff I hope it’s on the side cause I thought it was disgusting.

No it is a fruit topping. Not milky at all. You can get syrup instead though if you want. We got syrup with our meals in June instead of the fruit compote

We were there in August and they do indeed have the fruit topping you described. You can get it on the waffles/pancakes or you can have it in a little cup on the side.

We were there in August and they do indeed have the fruit topping you described. You can get it on the waffles/pancakes or you can have it in a little cup on the side.

Thank you! That was one of the biggest things I missed about Pop when I stayed at FQ. I love my strawberry pancakes/waffles and their mixed berry topping just wasn't the same.

Deciding between POP Century preferred, Yacht Club, POFQ ,or AKL standard room for our mother/daughter trip in late May. My DD will be turning 16 on this trip. :) The sky liner isn't a big draw for us bu the renovated POP rooms look nice and are a good price with my code. We often stay at beach club, so that area with YC is also a perk for us. We love Animal Kingdom (the park) and couldn't help but notice the good price for a std room with my code. I know POFQ has boat access to DS, but not sure about the speed of their buses to the parks?

Here are the room-only totals for our six nights:
AKL standard: 1,692.34
Yacht Club standard: 2,052.24
PO French Quarter - 1,456.39 (king bed only, so we would have to share a bed)
POP Century preferred location: 986.42

Any thoughts on pros and cons? Ease & speed of transportation are the biggest factors for us. We aren't very adventurous eaters, so Boma, Jiko, etc aren't necessarily going to be big draws for us (although I know that they are supposed to be amazing). We have stayed at WL and liked the feel. I know AKL has a similar layout. The pool at POP doesn't appeal to us at all but we will only use the pool 1-2 times on our trip, as we are park people...We would like to try some DS restaurants on this trip...but we would need to share a king bed which isn't a big deal but for a similar price, we could stay at AKL.
Help us decide? This is soooo hard - lol

POP lovers...Tell me the perks of staying at POP over any of the above options? :)

DH and I stay at Pop when we're out of DVC points. We haven't been there since the refurb was finished but agree that the new rooms look great. We found transportation to be fine - it was all buses then (and no matter which resort you stay at, the buses can be good or bad), but the Skyliner will probably be faster than the buses to DHS and Epcot. I like the idea of entering Epcot via the IG instead of the front entrance, too - the gondola station is just outside the IG whereas the bus stop is quite a distance from the front entrance. The food court was okay for us - and next time we stay at Pop, I'm thinking the Epcot Resort area and World Showcase will be an option for meals, with the Skyliner making it so convenient to travel there!

OTOH, I love AKL and would stay there again in a heartbeat! However, when we did stay for a week we had to admit that while the buses weren't any worse than the buses at any other resort (and the travel times to the parks weren't significantly longer either), we missed being able to walk or boat to Epcot/DHS. So if you usually stay at BC, you might also be spoiled as we are!

DH and I stay at Pop when we're out of DVC points. We haven't been there since the refurb was finished but agree that the new rooms look great. We found transportation to be fine - it was all buses then (and no matter which resort you stay at, the buses can be good or bad), but the Skyliner will probably be faster than the buses to DHS and Epcot. I like the idea of entering Epcot via the IG instead of the front entrance, too - the gondola station is just outside the IG whereas the bus stop is quite a distance from the front entrance. The food court was okay for us - and next time we stay at Pop, I'm thinking the Epcot Resort area and World Showcase will be an option for meals, with the Skyliner making it so convenient to travel there!

OTOH, I love AKL and would stay there again in a heartbeat! However, when we did stay for a week we had to admit that while the buses weren't any worse than the buses at any other resort (and the travel times to the parks weren't significantly longer either), we missed being able to walk or boat to Epcot/DHS. So if you usually stay at BC, you might also be spoiled as we are!

Thank you for the reply! You thoughts were helpful! So much to think about :)

Deciding between POP Century preferred, Yacht Club, POFQ ,or AKL standard room for our mother/daughter trip in late May. My DD will be turning 16 on this trip. :) The sky liner isn't a big draw for us bu the renovated POP rooms look nice and are a good price with my code. We often stay at beach club, so that area with YC is also a perk for us. We love Animal Kingdom (the park) and couldn't help but notice the good price for a std room with my code. I know POFQ has boat access to DS, but not sure about the speed of their buses to the parks?

Here are the room-only totals for our six nights:
AKL standard: 1,692.34
Yacht Club standard: 2,052.24
PO French Quarter - 1,456.39 (king bed only, so we would have to share a bed)
POP Century preferred location: 986.42

Any thoughts on pros and cons? Ease & speed of transportation are the biggest factors for us. We aren't very adventurous eaters, so Boma, Jiko, etc aren't necessarily going to be big draws for us (although I know that they are supposed to be amazing). We have stayed at WL and liked the feel. I know AKL has a similar layout. The pool at POP doesn't appeal to us at all but we will only use the pool 1-2 times on our trip, as we are park people...We would like to try some DS restaurants on this trip...but we would need to share a king bed which isn't a big deal but for a similar price, we could stay at AKL.
Help us decide? This is soooo hard - lol

POP lovers...Tell me the perks of staying at POP over any of the above options? :)
For me it's all about transportation. I would never stay at AKL without savanna view. No easy busing anywhere! You have picked my 3 favs, and I think you can't go wrong. If I felt okay spending the money I'd always stay in YC or BC. I like the boat to DS so I choose FQ. It's easy to transfer there if you want to visit other resorts too. Buses are easy both there and POP. I usually choose pop for the money though.

You can take a bus from any resort to Disney Springs. :) I'm not necessarily sure the FQ DS boat is any faster than a bus. I took the boat twice and the ride was still 10-15 minutes and I had to wait for a second boat to get back the one night.

Pop and FQ both have one bus stop. Pop has a queue so you can see how many people are ahead of you. FQ doesn't relaly have a line. Pop's buses felt like they came faster/more frequently to me because it is a larger resort. FQ also shares buses with POR at Animal Kingdom. Last month, that bus stop listed both resorts. I've never had to share my bus with another resort while staying at Pop. If you are heading to the parks early each morning, chances are FQ will have its own bus then.

We've stayed at CBR, Coronado, Music but Pop is my favorite. I just like the feel and atmosphere compared to the others. I'm taking my daughter and cousins in December and looking forward to it. Going back in April but wife wants Coronado on this trip and I won't be able to talk her out of it. She likes the pool, exercise room and the grounds better which I get since she's not into going to the Parks.

For me it's all about transportation. I would never stay at AKL without savanna view. No easy busing anywhere! You have picked my 3 favs, and I think you can't go wrong. If I felt okay spending the money I'd always stay in YC or BC. I like the boat to DS so I choose FQ. It's easy to transfer there if you want to visit other resorts too. Buses are easy both there and POP. I usually choose pop for the money though.
I’m not sure when you were last at DS but the buses have been moved to the complete other side of DS so they are no longer close to where the FQ boat arrives at DS. It’s now about a 10 min walk from the boat to the bus stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!