Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER Resort Information and Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by andrewilley, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Gina Starr

Gina Starr Mouseketeer

The stairs are blocked off but my husband really wanted to go peak in the rooms since all the curtains are off of course. I did see all the old carpet rolled up and in trash cans/dumpsters. Also saw some mattresses, couldn’t tell if they were new or old. I can’t wait to see the new rooms too. Most of the furniture in our room has a weird sticky film on top of it that wouldn’t come off with wipes, my husband dropped his phone between the bed and the night stand and it was covered in dust when he picked it up. I mentioned in a previous post that the bed is hard as a rock. I see lots of room for improvements.

Animal likes this.
  2. Bree

Bree DIS Veteran

I just booked two nights here for the Star Wars race weekend in April. My only stay here was for 1 night before a cruise in April 2014. Looking forward to seeing the food court changes (even though it was done over a year ago!) and the new resort rooms. I have a reservation for The Edison one night and can’t wait to take the boat to Disney Springs.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. AngiTN

AngiTN DIS Veteran

Oh, what night? Our anniversary is Star Wars weekend. We are at The Edison on the 22nd

5. chelynnah

chelynnah DIS Veteran

See, and for me that hard as a rock bed would be what I call perfect :)

buzznina likes this.
  6. Bree

Bree DIS Veteran

Mine is for the 21st.

AngiTN likes this.
  7. Gina Starr

Gina Starr Mouseketeer

Lol! At home I have a pillow top mattress plus a two inch memory foam pad so I’m used to sleeping on a cloud.

chelynnah likes this.
  8. pinkxray

pinkxray DIS Veteran

We just booked French Quarter for 5 nights in Nov. I have always wanted to stay here. I am so excited to the rooms are getting updated. The rooms were a con when we were choosing Pofq but I decided to book anyway since our family of 5 won’t fit in one room once our baby gets older.

Can’t wait to see a pic of the new rooms!

Animal likes this.
  9. pinkxray

pinkxray DIS Veteran

Was the Pop century redo considered a soft goods refurb? The rooms are awesome looking but it seems like it was more than just soft goods?

Just curious bc I’m really hoping the headboards at FQ disappear and something new shows up.

10. dansdad

dansdad DIS Veteran

Pop's refurb is considered a hard goods refurb because everything is getting changed. Beds, flooring, bathroom fixtures, etc.

11. AngiTN

AngiTN DIS Veteran

If PP was hearing hammering it seems like maybe it's more than soft goods only? It does seem strange that they'd do a soft goods only refurb at a point where they are changing rooms up everywhere else.

Hard to believe they haven't shown what it will look like. It's killing me to know. We saw pics of the other resorts before they were done with a room, didn't we?

DaisyDuck001 and Animal like this.
  12. minnie4ever

minnie4ever I work to travel...where to next??

I stayed in building 5 on the 3rd floor and the room was great though the beds did squeak some. I liked the fan in the room, the small footprint of the resort, the quiet "streets" and the overall French Quarter feel.
    I like that the Scat Cat Club has music in the evenings and the river meanders along the resort. The boat ride to Disney Springs is also a huge plus. Hmmm I think I like EVERYTHING about this resort.
    AAHHH and then there are the warm sugary beignets.......

marcyleecorgan and mindystar like this.
  13. minnie4ever

minnie4ever I work to travel...where to next??

Your relatives will love it there. The resort is small and close to the main building and the buses. It is pretty and it meanders around the river so that is lovely. The boat to Disney Springs is a nice ride
    on a warm day and it takes you right where you want to go. Then there is the sugary goodness of fresh warm beignets!

mindystar likes this.
  14. buzznina

buzznina DIS Veteran

:thumbsup2
    Us too! DW and I really dislike soft beds, especially pillow tops. I read an article mentioning that the mattress industry is starting to go away from pillow tops as well.

chelynnah likes this.
  15. Animal

Animal Mouseketeer

You need a hammer to install laminate flooring, right?

16. AngiTN

AngiTN DIS Veteran

Yes but that is not soft goods. That was my point

Shellyb84 likes this.
  17. Court7321

Court7321 Earning My Ears

I read a review somewhere about Coronado's new rooms with laminate flooring and how much louder they were than previous - you can hear every sound from above...this worries me a little. I always request top floor rooms in general, but of course there's never a guarantee.

18. AngiTN

AngiTN DIS Veteran

We stayed in a ground floor at YC and CCV (both have hard surface floors) an didn't find either room noisy in any way

19. alex9179

alex9179 DIS Veteran

We stay at YC-CL after the refurb and the new flooring. Our room was halfway down the hall and it was just fine...until neighbors took the room that connected to ours. Bring ear plugs, just in case. They woke us up at midnight pretty often with the little tyke screeching, pin-balling, and the parents' loud talking. Sound absorption is definitely compromised with solid flooring. It's cleaner but not ideal unless concrete separates the floors!

20. rosysubmarine

rosysubmarine A Whale of a Tale

I'm really not sure whether I should request a refurb room or a non-refurb room in March. I've never stayed at POFQ before, and while it will be nice to get fresh and clean rooms... I'm afraid they'll get rid of all of the theming. Hmm.

21. AngiTN

AngiTN DIS Veteran

What theming? Just general French Quarter colors, etc?

I'm sure between now and the time you need to put in a request there will be photos and you'll be able to judge what you like better