Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

We’ll be at POFQ in 11 days, so excited! Does anyone have any experience with getting to EMM at MK? Should I take a chance on the buses or try to get a Minnie Van? And has anyone used the Minnie Vans since the price change and have an idea on costs to different locations? We also booked EMM at HS and I’m most nervous for this one as it has an earlier check-in time than the MK one. TIA!!

Cost of a minnie van from Magic Kingdom to Port Orleans French Quarter, and it is greater than $30. Depending on how many you will have in the van, only you can determine whether or not it is worth the cost. Magic Kingdom is the only Park where the regular taxi services cannot get close. They have to go to the ticket center for drop-off and pick-up. Minnie Vans can go right up to the bus area.

We’ll be at POFQ in 11 days, so excited! Does anyone have any experience with getting to EMM at MK? Should I take a chance on the buses or try to get a Minnie Van? And has anyone used the Minnie Vans since the price change and have an idea on costs to different locations? We also booked EMM at HS and I’m most nervous for this one as it has an earlier check-in time than the MK one. TIA!!

I have read that it is a $15.00 flat rate plus another $2.75 per mile. With that said, I used google maps to check from Yacht Club to Contemporary and it was just under $30.00. From Yacht Club to DS was just over $27.00. I found a website (multiple actually) that can give you estimates on regular Uber/Lyft prices for the same trips and they were $9.00 and $7.00 respectively. It may be fun to ride the Minnie Vans but more cost effective to use a regular Uber/Lyft.

Just take a bus or use a regular Uber/Lyft (non-Minnie Van)...you'll save a ton of money.

As an edit, I did EMM twice while staying at POFQ: once in 2016 where I was running a little behind and frazzled, took an Uber and was a few minutes behind, and once in 2018 where I caught the very first bus at 6:30am and was at MK before 7. That was a bit of overkill.

I would just have them drop me off at Contemporary.
From what I have read, the resorts are getting very sticky about security and who can come in...scanning magic bands for dining, resort resv, etc. Not sure if that has been implemented yet, but I'm sure it is because many do take taxi, Uber or Lyft there since they can't go into the bus area.

From what I have read, the resorts are getting very sticky about security and who can come in...scanning magic bands for dining, resort resv, etc. Not sure if that has been implemented yet, but I'm sure it is because many do take taxi, Uber or Lyft there since they can't go into the bus area.
As long as you’re not parking there I don’t see why it would make a difference?

Thanks everyone for your input! We did EMM at MK during our May trip but we were at the Poly so we didn’t have to worry about getting there on time. I’m planning on getting to the bus stop at 6:45 so hopefully that will allow us enough time. For the DHS EMM I’m just going to plan on alternate transportation since it starts even earlier. We loved the Minnie Vans and have used them quite a few times but with the new pricing structure I’m finding it hard to justify what I’m expecting the cost to be.

As long as you’re not parking there I don’t see why it would make a difference?
We'll, what I've read is they were specificly attempting to cut down on the drop and run tactic...but who knows ... everything is a rumor until it's announced by Disney.

We'll, what I've read is they were specificly attempting to cut down on the drop and run tactic...but who knows ... everything is a rumor until it's announced by Disney.
I know on our trip in 2016 on a taxi ride to YC from POFQ to an ADR at Yatchman's they scanned my Magic Band. We were in a marked Mears taxi so it was obvious we were not trying to "game" free parking. Based on the price in your prior post, a regular taxi may be cheaper . We have used a taxi to go to the GF on our last few trips and it was under $30 with tip. We are just 2 adults so no need for the Minnie van extras.

This is strange to me. What if I want to check out a place in their hotel that doesn't require a reservation...like Contempo Cafe? I guess we'll see what happens!

This is strange to me. What if I want to check out a place in their hotel that doesn't require a reservation...like Contempo Cafe? I guess we'll see what happens!
You can easily resort hop by taking any of the Disney transportation, (monorail, bus, boat). I believe what the others are trying to get across is using Uber or taxi to drop off at a resort. If you do not have a reservation there, you might not be let in. A few years ago, it was faster for us to take the Disney bus from Disney Springs to the Contemporary, and walk over to the Magic Kingdom.

You can easily resort hop by taking any of the Disney transportation, (monorail, bus, boat). I believe what the others are trying to get across is using Uber or taxi to drop off at a resort. If you do not have a reservation there, you might not be let in. A few years ago, it was faster for us to take the Disney bus from Disney Springs to the Contemporary, and walk over to the Magic Kingdom.

Yes, I know I can resort hop with Disney transportation, but my thinking is more: say I want to start the day off going from my hotel (POFQ) to another hotel for a non-ADR breakfast or something via Uber. I'd be a little miffed if I wouldn't be let in solely because I didn't want to take that extra (and timely) step to go hotel -> park or Springs for Disney transpo -> different hotel.

Anyway, I just hope it stays mostly open for people to be dropped off at resorts via Uber/whatever except maybe outside of peak times like Christmas.

Last edited:
The one time we took a taxi to the Contemporary, they dropped us off on the curb just outside the security gates, knowing our destination was really MK. So I suspect others may do that as well - easier for all.

Just popping in to say we are officially booked at POFQ in a standard view 03/23 - 03/30. Super excited and we got a great rate through our travel agent. Now I am just crossing our fingers that we get our one request for connecting rooms :cheer2: This will be our first trip getting 2 rooms so I will be learning the ins and outs of linking 2 MDE accounts so that I can have us all on the same dining and FP ressies.

...scanning magic bands for dining, resort resv, etc...

For at least the last decade before MBs, I know I was always requested to give my ID, as the driver, and let the guard know why I was visiting the resort. I never arrived via taxi/car service before MBs, so I do not know if they still at least asked the passenger why they were visiting or not. I know that when I go via car service now, the driver has to show ID and I have to scan my MB and state why I am visiting the resort. Maybe it does not seem out of place to me since I have visited many resorts when I have my own vehicle with me.

just left the coronado boards and switched to here because for early november i had coronado with a pop split stay but when (finally) a room opened up at french quarter garden view (any room would do) i grabbed it. my sister went to coronado last week (been there many times and good experiences) but this time had a negative experience or two and when pofq opened which it never does i grabbed it and left those boards. so here i am . i have never stayed at this resort but am excited. i do have some questions about transportation if people can answer? it says online the buses are shared with riverside at times. will they be shared first week of november? and does the ds ferry make stops or it's one way back and forth? I have a foot condition coming into this trip ahead (very nervous about have a physical problem for a wdw trip) and really excited about the size (or lack of large size) of this resort compared to coronado. any tips with this resort and my foot would be appreciated too. i just want to be able to sit on a bus and ferry for my foot and not walk too far to get there.

i do have some questions about transportation if people can answer? it says online the buses are shared with riverside at times. will they be shared first week of november? and does the ds ferry make stops or it's one way back and forth?
The buses are almost always shared from AK. Often from HS. The boat doesn't make any stops between FQ and DS. I don't remember a shared bus from MK or Epcot ever. They are shared based on need so there is no way to know if they will be shared in early November.

My tip to always get a seat is to wait for the next bus. Make sure you are among the first on and you will always get a seat. Sure, you'll wait another 15 (or so) minutes but you'll get that seat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter