Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

We were there in February on Canadian resident tickets and the front desk CM didn’t really know about tickets. In his computer he could see ours listed so he thought they were active, but they weren’t (we went to Epcot the next day and arrived early just in case, and sure enough they didn’t work).

We’re doing the same tickets this year and thinking we’ll just do dinner at DS on arrival night and pop in and activate them there. We’re currently scheduled for EMM at DHS the next morning so I don’t want to have to deal with it then.
Thanks so much for your response! My DH really would like to just relax at FQ without running around, so we'll probably end up just activating them on our first morning in Epcot unless we happen to get lucky and find a CM who knows how to activate them at FQ! Was it fairly quick to do that at Epcot? Last year we did it at Disney Springs and we had to wait a while for service but once we got someone it was a pretty quick process.

Thanks so much for your response! My DH really would like to just relax at FQ without running around, so we'll probably end up just activating them on our first morning in Epcot unless we happen to get lucky and find a CM who knows how to activate them at FQ! Was it fairly quick to do that at Epcot? Last year we did it at Disney Springs and we had to wait a while for service but once we got someone it was a pretty quick process.

It was quick, there was maybe one person ahead of us, and then the CM took care of it quickly. We were still inside the gates before rope drop, just not quite as far to the front as we expected to be.

Good luck!

I'm having French Quarter withdrawal! DH and I stayed at POFQ 11/29-12/08. It was our third time staying at French Quarter. We both love it there. We love the theming, the smaller resort size, the beautiful grounds, the one bus stop, all the friendly CM's, and the boat ride to Disney Springs. One evening we had reservations for the horse-drawn carriage ride. We walked over to Riverside and rode the carriage back through French Quarter. We really enjoyed that! The previous couple just got engaged while riding in the carriage. (We also saw marriage proposals at Cinderella's Royal Table and during the second parade at MVMCP). We used the Disney buses and Uber to get to the parks or other resorts. One Uber driver got lost in different parking lots trying to drop us off at Hollywood Studios. We finally made it on his third attempt!

Hey all - sorry I'm so late in posting a quick trip report from early September; while we were at WDW my FIL (back home) had a stroke, and we had to cut our trip short. I've been his primary caregiver since my MIL died, and the trip was supposed to be a respite trip... but the good news is that he is recovering and I hope to get back to POFQ some time in the next year to "finish" my trip! :)

I will say this about POFQ's staff (although I'm sure it would hold true at any Resort Hotel at WDW) they were *amazing* and thoughtful and kind, and so supportive. We felt so very cared for, and once they realized that we had to leave early, they refunded back the unused portion of our tickets, dining plan, and room, and from that point forward they made sure we had everything we needed to get on our way home as quickly as possible.

I hope to never get bad news like that again on vacation... but the staff at POFQ was so amazing that we never felt traumatized, or like POFQ was "ruined" because of what happened. In fact, because of how kind and supportive they were, we want to go back more than ever!

When I travel, I require a HARIS (Handicapped Accessible Roll In Shower) room, so I have posted over on the DISabilities forum here at the DISBoards, pictures from a 2Q Roll-in-Shower room, (with measurements) for those who need them. @andrewilley, let me know if you want those pictures for portorleans.org and I will be happy to send them to you (or you can just grab them from my post here LOL)

One note, for those who are wondering: At all WDW Resorts, Handicapped Accessible rooms are always the same total square footage as a regular room, however, they are typically laid out (at least somewhat) differently. Generally speaking, the measurements in the bedroom are "off" mostly on the side of the room closest to the bathroom - that's because the bathroom wall is pushed into the bedroom to accommodate for turning space in the bathroom for a wheelchair. So there is almost no room between the bed closest to the bathroom, and the bathroom wall - don't drop anything down in that little gap in a 2Q room! At POFQ, there are Garden View and Standard View HARIS rooms, but no River View (sadly for me... I would love to have a River View room!)

Other than the rush to get home because of Dad's stroke, our time at POFQ was - as always - lovely and relaxing, and I am truly looking forward once again to returning. Probably my favorite part of every day was sitting in Scat Cat's at night, indulging in an "adult beverage" and listening to the music, and just feeling so happy to be where I was. Our other favorite thing about POFQ is the trip to and from Disney Springs; we love DS, and so staying at POFQ is even more of a natural fit for us because we love the trip up and down the river! I wish they would extend the "river" system at WDW - I love riding the boats, and it would be so much fun to be able to float over to Epcot or MK from POFQ as well!

We really did like the post-reno room, and I was glad to see how much of the original style furniture was reused. The only thing I would have changed was that I *adore* the shower curtain fabric so much - I wish they had made window treatments from it as well! When it rained, the new floors do get a bit slippery (especially with wheels) so we just started keeping a bath towel on the floor (like a door mat) just inside the room to help wipe feet/wheels as we entered. We called and asked Housekeeping for some old towels to use on the floor, but they said not to worry, and then brought us a stack of towels!

POFQ is one of those "Resort only" places for me at WDW - I don't have to go to the Parks to enjoy my time there. I just hope that it always stays as it is, a small, perfect gem of a Resort!

When I travel, I require a HARIS (Handicapped Accessible Roll In Shower) room, so I have posted over on the DISabilities forum here at the DISBoards, pictures from a 2Q Roll-in-Shower room, (with measurements) for those who need them. @andrewilley, let me know if you want those pictures for portorleans.org and I will be happy to send them to you (or you can just grab them from my post here LOL)

That would be great. If you could send me the full size versions of those annotated images (to the admin address on the site) then I'll create a Gallery page for you as they are so useful and informative with your notes.

Andre

Hey all - sorry I'm so late in posting a quick trip report from early September; while we were at WDW my FIL (back home) had a stroke, and we had to cut our trip short. I've been his primary caregiver since my MIL died, and the trip was supposed to be a respite trip... but the good news is that he is recovering and I hope to get back to POFQ some time in the next year to "finish" my trip! :)

I will say this about POFQ's staff (although I'm sure it would hold true at any Resort Hotel at WDW) they were *amazing* and thoughtful and kind, and so supportive. We felt so very cared for, and once they realized that we had to leave early, they refunded back the unused portion of our tickets, dining plan, and room, and from that point forward they made sure we had everything we needed to get on our way home as quickly as possible.

I hope to never get bad news like that again on vacation... but the staff at POFQ was so amazing that we never felt traumatized, or like POFQ was "ruined" because of what happened. In fact, because of how kind and supportive they were, we want to go back more than ever!

One note, for those who are wondering: At all WDW Resorts, Handicapped Accessible rooms are always the same total square footage as a regular room, however, they are typically laid out (at least somewhat) differently. Generally speaking, the measurements in the bedroom are "off" mostly on the side of the room closest to the bathroom - that's because the bathroom wall is pushed into the bedroom to accommodate for turning space in the bathroom for a wheelchair. So there is almost no room between the bed closest to the bathroom, and the bathroom wall - don't drop anything down in that little gap in a 2Q room! At POFQ, there are Garden View and Standard View HARIS rooms, but no River View (sadly for me... I would love to have a River View room!)

Other than the rush to get home because of Dad's stroke, our time at POFQ was - as always - lovely and relaxing, and I am truly looking forward once again to returning. Probably my favorite part of every day was sitting in Scat Cat's at night, indulging in an "adult beverage" and listening to the music, and just feeling so happy to be where I was. Our other favorite thing about POFQ is the trip to and from Disney Springs; we love DS, and so staying at POFQ is even more of a natural fit for us because we love the trip up and down the river! I wish they would extend the "river" system at WDW - I love riding the boats, and it would be so much fun to be able to float over to Epcot or MK from POFQ as well!

We really did like the post-reno room, and I was glad to see how much of the original style furniture was reused. The only thing I would have changed was that I *adore* the shower curtain fabric so much - I wish they had made window treatments from it as well! When it rained, the new floors do get a bit slippery (especially with wheels) so we just started keeping a bath towel on the floor (like a door mat) just inside the room to help wipe feet/wheels as we entered. We called and asked Housekeeping for some old towels to use on the floor, but they said not to worry, and then brought us a stack of towels!

POFQ is one of those "Resort only" places for me at WDW - I don't have to go to the Parks to enjoy my time there. I just hope that it always stays as it is, a small, perfect gem of a Resort!

Thank you so much for your informative post on the DISabilities board. I am assuming the 22 inches from top of mattress to floor is lower than their regular room? I don't think 22 inches would have been a problem for me. I like the higher toilet seat, too. I wonder if they'd let a person who doesn't use a wheelchair stay in a HA room. With my back problems, I think I'd give up my preference for top floor to have these friendly dimensions!
So sorry about your FIL. With my parents both being in their 90's, I am always expecting that call now during every trip. I admire your positive attitude and so happy to hear about how the FQ staff made it so much less stressful for you. Happy planning!!

Thank you so much for your informative post on the DISabilities board. I am assuming the 22 inches from top of mattress to floor is lower than their regular room? I don't think 22 inches would have been a problem for me. I like the higher toilet seat, too. I wonder if they'd let a person who doesn't use a wheelchair stay in a HA room. With my back problems, I think I'd give up my preference for top floor to have these friendly dimensions!
So sorry about your FIL. With my parents both being in their 90's, I am always expecting that call now during every trip. I admire your positive attitude and so happy to hear about how the FQ staff made it so much less stressful for you. Happy planning!!

HA rooms are for anyone who *needs* any feature - so if, for example, you need the higher seat height in the bathroom, or if the bed height is what you need, then you should book that room. From what we have found, those measurements will transfer (roughly) across most every moderate or Deluxe HA room at WDW - including the Cabins at FW! (Expect more space at Deluxes, obvs) Values are a bit "tighter" on some of the measurements, but I don't have a complete set of those numbers; I haven't stayed in a Value since requiring mobility assistance.

In addition to the Roll-in-Shower rooms, you can expect similar measurements in the Wheelchair Accessible tub rooms. (I have no pictures of that style of room, since I require the shower for ease and safety). Many people actually prefer the tubs, because they have a built-in bench across the far end of the tub where you can sit to swing your legs safely into the tub. They also have handrails for those of us who need them for safety in the tub area.

The staff at POFQ is always superb, but they went above and beyond in our circumstance!

Just got back from 4 nights at POFQ. We stayed there originally in 2016. Since then, we’ve stayed only in deluxe category rooms, so I was hoping that we wouldn’t be disappointed. We definitely were not!
The theming at the resort is beautiful, the small cozy feel of the resort is great, and the transportation was too notch.
We only got one pool day, as it was cold, but the kids had a blast in the sprayground! I will say that I wish the hot tub were in a location closer to the pool, and it could use a refurb (there was grout missing on a lot of the tile and a lot of mildew where there should be none).
In room, I wasn’t sure how I’d feel about the hardwood floors. We all got used to it fairly quickly. The rooms were beautiful. The room itself felt as big as a deluxe and was very intelligently laid out with plenty of storage place. The only part of the room that felt tight was the toilet/tub part of the bathroom. It was a tight squeeze trying to close the door to use the toilet, and if you left it open you were watching yourself go via the full length mirror on the door. The water pressure wasn’t great in the shower either.
We also had an issue with our room being dirty on arrival and housekeeping taking forever to bring clean linens that night. The front desk was great in handling it.
Overall, we would definitely be back to POFQ- esp at Christmas time. It was just so beautiful!

I’m curious to know if you found any difference in the quality of the mattresses going from deluxe to POFQ?

I’m curious to know if you found any difference in the quality of the mattresses going from deluxe to POFQ?
I did not notice any but I wouldn’t say I’m super hard to please with mattresses either. As long as it’s not a pull out or something really awful I’m usually good with a bed. I found the bed to be just as comfy there as any of the deluxes I’ve stayed in.

Question: we just returned from a long weekend at FQ. I'm pretty sure the resort was at occupancy yet it felt desolate. Does this resort always feel so quiet and empty because it's smaller? We loved it so just curious if that was the norm?

Question: we just returned from a long weekend at FQ. I'm pretty sure the resort was at occupancy yet it felt desolate. Does this resort always feel so quiet and empty because it's smaller? We loved it so just curious if that was the norm?
We usually go in November and even if it is close to 100% full on some nights it almost always feels quiet( except for breakfast rush hour in the food court :thumbsup2). We usually take a walk around Riverside a few times a trip and get the same vibe.

Yes, I would say so (it's the norm), as I've stayed at all different times of the year. Every now and again the food court gets slammed, but that's more about hour of the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter