Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

How do people feel about ground floor rooms? We're only doing 1 night at POFQ before switching to Shades of Green. I'm thinking ground floor may be a nice request so that my dad (who's an amputee) doesn't have to deal with stairs or the lift, but do people ever feel more "exposed" with a ground floor room?
We prefer ground floor. Requesting close to the elevator is worse IMO, because everyone on your floor pretty much has to walk past your room to get to the elevator, or congregate nearby, unless they're willing to take the stairs. On the ground floor, people tend to find the shortest route to where they want to go, which takes them right up next to the window less often.

We are hoping to stay here the week before Christmas in 2021. :) Normally in years past, there is free dining offered at this time. Does anyone remember what kind of rooms will allow you to book it? I was hoping to get a standard room. Has anyone got free dinning with a standard room before Christmas?

We are hoping to stay here the week before Christmas in 2021. :) Normally in years past, there is free dining offered at this time. Does anyone remember what kind of rooms will allow you to book it? I was hoping to get a standard room. Has anyone got free dinning with a standard room before Christmas?
I’m not sure if dining plans will be back next year, let alone free dining. But free dining at POFQ in December has not been offered in years.

I’m not sure if dining plans will be back next year, let alone free dining.

I doubt they will go back to offering the Dining Plans (at all) until all of the on-property restaurants are back up to full operating capacity. When that happens is anyone's guess of course.

Andre

Curious what those of you that have POFQ reservations for December are doing? We are booked for 11/28-12/5 and I was able to book our 7 park days with no issue yesterday. Seeing as POFQ and POR are not on the list of resorts to open by 10/14 are we supposed to call to be moved or wait it out? If we wait to see if it opens until later in the fall will there still be space at other resorts for us to be moved by Disney?

Curious what those of you that have POFQ reservations for December are doing? We are booked for 11/28-12/5 and I was able to book our 7 park days with no issue yesterday. Seeing as POFQ and POR are not on the list of resorts to open by 10/14 are we supposed to call to be moved or wait it out? If we wait to see if it opens until later in the fall will there still be space at other resorts for us to be moved by Disney?
Have a November reservation and wondering same.

I have a room only reservation for January 2021. I will call this week to turn it into a package so I can make park reservations, we'll see if they say anything about moving. But I think I will be in "wait and see" mode for a long time. I know January 2021 is a while away, but I figure if FQ isn't open by 2021 then things won't be "normal" enough for us to be vacationing anyway.

Following. We’re booked over Thanksgiving at POFQ. A lot of people out there with earlier travel dates than ours so I didn’t want to try and call this week.

We're currently booked with a package at POFQ for 12/1-12/5, and we got our park reservations yesterday, too! As for our resort reservation, I shared this in another thread...

- As of 6/23, our resort does not have an announced scheduled opening date
- As of 6/23, no changes have been made to our existing reservation, and nothing has been offered or recommended

- We were originally told by our TA on 6/20 that only DVC resorts would be opening this year, and we would be moved to a DVC resort on 6/22 at no cost to us (unless we specifically request a certain resort, in which case we would be responsible for the price difference). She said this info came direct from Disney, and she had gone through a 1.5 hour training on it.

- On 6/21, we (us and our TA) found out several resorts would be opening throughout the rest of the year, but no info about POFQ yet. It is also suspected that, should POFQ not open by 12/1, we will have to modify our reservation to another resort, or cancel completely; should we modify, we might be responsible for the difference in rate.

- Our TA is unsure of our options as of now and has suggested we just wait to attempt or accept any changes until closer to our trip. That was after I asked if we should be concerned that if we wait until October to move, there won't be anything available to move to.

We would consider other resorts, but can't pay more than our current rate, so I guess we're just going to wait and see. Our reservation is currently just up in the air. :laughing:

We're currently booked with a package at POFQ for 12/1-12/5, and we got our park reservations yesterday, too! As for our resort reservation, I shared this in another thread...

- As of 6/23, our resort does not have an announced scheduled opening date
- As of 6/23, no changes have been made to our existing reservation, and nothing has been offered or recommended

- We were originally told by our TA on 6/20 that only DVC resorts would be opening this year, and we would be moved to a DVC resort on 6/22 at no cost to us (unless we specifically request a certain resort, in which case we would be responsible for the price difference). She said this info came direct from Disney, and she had gone through a 1.5 hour training on it.

- On 6/21, we (us and our TA) found out several resorts would be opening throughout the rest of the year, but no info about POFQ yet. It is also suspected that, should POFQ not open by 12/1, we will have to modify our reservation to another resort, or cancel completely; should we modify, we might be responsible for the difference in rate.

- Our TA is unsure of our options as of now and has suggested we just wait to attempt or accept any changes until closer to our trip. That was after I asked if we should be concerned that if we wait until October to move, there won't be anything available to move to.

We would consider other resorts, but can't pay more than our current rate, so I guess we're just going to wait and see. Our reservation is currently just up in the air. :laughing:

The common advice I am finding in various forums and FB pages from those who are in-the-know is simple, "Just wait." I know waiting is hard, but it seems to be the recommendation at this time. I hope it all works out perfectly for you in the end.

The common advice I am finding in various forums and FB pages from those who are in-the-know is simple, "Just wait." I know waiting is hard, but it seems to be the recommendation at this time. I hope it all works out perfectly for you in the end.

Thanks! I don’t mind waiting - like I said, that’s what we’re doing right now. It’s just all the conflicting info that’s frustrating. People booked at POFQ even around my dates are reporting on the boards that they’re being put in other mods with and without price changes, and some are being put in deluxe resorts without price changes. We aren’t interested in any other mods but there are a couple of bucket list deluxe resorts we’d like to stay in if given the option. Because we used a TA this time, we can’t even find out any information or options ourselves, either.

So I got through to change my room only reservation to a package. I was not able to keep FQ, the CM said it wouldn't be opening at all in 2021, which hopefully isn't true.

I ended up booking at Carribean Beach, I'm going to have to make my way over to that thread! Coronado Springs was a comparable price, did I make the right choice between the two? I have two young kids (5 and 3), it will be their first visit.

So I got through to change my room only reservation to a package. I was not able to keep FQ, the CM said it wouldn't be opening at all in 2021, which hopefully isn't true.

I am in queue right now to add tickets to my 2021 Basic Package at POFQ. I hope they don't ask that I change resorts today!

Currently there is no option to book the Port Orleans properties in 2021. This is the full list of properties with no 2021 availabilty as of now:
  • Disney’s All Star Movies Resort
  • Disney’s All Star Music Resort
  • Disney’s All Star Sports Resort
  • Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge – Jambo House
  • Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – French Quarter
  • Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – Riverside
  • Disney’s Wilderness Lodge

Last edited:
Currently there is no option to book the Port Orleans properties in 2021. This is the full list of properties with no 2021 availabilty as of now:
  • Disney’s All Star Movies Resort
  • Disney’s All Star Music Resort
  • Disney’s All Star Sports Resort
  • Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge – Jambo House (hotel only - villas are available.
  • Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – French Quarter
  • Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – Riverside
  • Disney’s Wilderness Lodge

Jambo has been pulled from the reopening list for 2020 - I wonder if they also stopped booking it for 2021 for now?

I finally spoke to a CM last night about my January stay at POFQ. He suggested I keep my original reservation but book a backup package if I was concerned. So I’m holding onto some hope POFQ will be open in January!!!

My assumption, for what it's worth (as no one, knows for sure) is that Disney is planning to open resorts gradually based on predicted increases in demand levels. At this stage they don't feel that the room occupancy rates will yet be high enough to warrant opening more resorts than they have so far announced by October - and to be honest I can see their logic.

However there are so many variables in play (guest confidence, local area restrictions, wide entertainment closures and activity limits, out-of-state travel issue, lack of international visitors - not to mention the huge upsurge in the virus in the US anyway) that even the best predictions are little more than guesses at the moment anyway. And if they don't have any confirmed opening dates, they can't suddenly start selling rooms for January, April or July as that inherently implies an opening date has been set.

Worst case? Remember that after 9-11 French Quarter was closed for a full year? And this situation is worse. :(

Andre

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!