Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

A quick question for those who stay in Alligator Bayou… What specific requests do you put in your fax? We have stayed in the mansions in the past but would like to try something new this time so are requesting AB. We will definitely be asking for the top floor of a building but wondered if there are other specifics you like to request. We would like to be far away from the dog relief areas/dog friendly buildings, in a building that is not a huge walk from a desirable bus stop (I know some tend to be more crowded than others?), and a peaceful location. If you have recommendations of requests you generally make, I’d love to hear them! Thanks!

Last edited:
A quick question for those who stay in Alligator Bayou… What specific requests do you put in your fax? We have stayed in the mansions in the past but would like to try something new this time so are requesting AB. We will definitely be asking for the top floor of a building but wondered if there are other specifics you like to request. We would like to be far away from the dog relief areas/dog friendly buildings, in a building that is not a huge walk from a desirable bus stop (I know some tend to be more crowded than others?), and a peaceful location. If you have recommendations of requests you generally make, I’d love to hear them! Thanks!

Just got back from another magical stay at POR in AB section!

I absolutely recommend staying near the West Depot - it's the first pick-up and first drop-off. I can't tell you how many times we picked up West, then North, maybe East, and then headed straight to parks without ever stopping at the South Depot (even though it was full of people for pick-up).

Once, we stayed in building 34 (room 3417 to be exact). It must have been the furthest from the main building/restaurant/Ol' Man's Island, BUT it was a literal 15 second walk to the bus stop and a 15 second walk to our room after a long day at the parks. The walk to the main building was likely 5-7 minutes, through lovely relaxing paths. Honestly, it was NOT an issue, and at the time I was with my 6 and 9 year old sans stroller. We also loved that room because it was a corner room and got lots of light.

Last week, we were in building 28, top floor, room 2846. Again, we used West Depot. That was my ONLY request. It was a 3 minute walk to the bus stop and likely 3-4 from the main building. We were quite close to 2 quiet pools, too.

When we stay again, I will again ask for West Depot. Being at the parks is the most important and fun part of our trips, so being picked up and getting to the bus stop quickly at the crack of dawn is high on my priority list.

Thanks for your reply! Do I put in the request with my TA or will the fax be better?

Both. It doesn't hurt to make requests in advance, but I also suggest faxing the resort directly about 5 days before arrival. Let them know you are not so concerned about getting into a room as soon as you arrive (if you are getting there early) but that requests are more important to you. Asking for buildings 18 or 16 should give a wide scope for them to find something for you.

Andre

I absolutely recommend staying near the West Depot - it's the first pick-up and first drop-off. I can't tell you how many times we picked up West, then North, maybe East, and then headed straight to parks without ever stopping at the South Depot (even though it was full of people for pick-up).

Once, we stayed in building 34 (room 3417 to be exact). It must have been the furthest from the main building/restaurant/Ol' Man's Island, BUT it was a literal 15 second walk to the bus stop and a 15 second walk to our room after a long day at the parks. The walk to the main building was likely 5-7 minutes, through lovely relaxing paths. Honestly, it was NOT an issue, and at the time I was with my 6 and 9 year old sans stroller. We also loved that room because it was a corner room and got lots of light.

Last week, we were in building 28, top floor, room 2846. Again, we used West Depot. That was my ONLY request. It was a 3 minute walk to the bus stop and likely 3-4 from the main building. We were quite close to 2 quiet pools, too.

When we stay again, I will again ask for West Depot. Being at the parks is the most important and fun part of our trips, so being picked up and getting to the bus stop quickly at the crack of dawn is high on my priority list.
Thanks so much! That is very helpful information about the busses since we are headed there next month!

I'm so glad you posted this. We're heading back for our first visit to POR in a few years, and I realized something as the result of your post. Our first time there we were in a mansion (I THINK it was Parterre Place). The next two visits, we were in AB. I thought I wanted to be back in a mansion again, but after reading this, I actually would RATHER be back in AB near the West Depot! The transportation convenience was awesome, we loved the corner rooms, too, and a stroll around those grounds is always such a pleasure. My kiddo is going to argue with me because he thinks he wants to be in a mansion, but that may just be a hill I'm willing to die on... pirate:

My DD6 and I are staying at POR our next trip...we leave in 9 days! I have stayed there before but always with adults so I was never concerned with where the room was. This trip I will be on my own with her. We have a Royal Guest Garden View booked. I missed putting a room request on the initial reservation and there wasn't a place for it when I did online check-in (other than picking a corner room or something else from a drop-down menu).

I plan to fax early next week and I am wondering what would be the best request to make. I would ideally like to be near a bus stop and main building but also in a room that is quiet.

Also, my boyfriend lives in Florida (but a few hours south of Disney) and might come stay a night with us. He works and won't be going to Disney with us so I didn't put him on the reservation. Is this going to be a problem? Is there a way to add him to the reservation without adding him to the dining plan? (We have APs and the AP dining plan).

I didn't think much of honestly because we did it at Legoland in December (I tried to add him to our reservation and they told me not to on the phone) and then we added him at check in and it was no big deal. I just have a bad feeling that it will be at Disney.

Thanks!
Jessica

My DD6 and I are staying at POR our next trip...we leave in 9 days! I have stayed there before but always with adults so I was never concerned with where the room was. This trip I will be on my own with her. We have a Royal Guest Garden View booked. I missed putting a room request on the initial reservation and there wasn't a place for it when I did online check-in (other than picking a corner room or something else from a drop-down menu).

I plan to fax early next week and I am wondering what would be the best request to make. I would ideally like to be near a bus stop and main building but also in a room that is quiet.

Also, my boyfriend lives in Florida (but a few hours south of Disney) and might come stay a night with us. He works and won't be going to Disney with us so I didn't put him on the reservation. Is this going to be a problem? Is there a way to add him to the reservation without adding him to the dining plan? (We have APs and the AP dining plan).

I didn't think much of honestly because we did it at Legoland in December (I tried to add him to our reservation and they told me not to on the phone) and then we added him at check in and it was no big deal. I just have a bad feeling that it will be at Disney.

Thanks!
Jessica
You still have time to call your requests in to central reservations. They don't assign the rooms this early. But a fax works well, too. Just put your requests in the order that is most important to you. A room close to the east bus stop will probably be far from the lobby, though.

You should add your boyfriend at the reservation desk on the day that he arrives. This is the only way to add him to the room without adding him to the dining plan and tickets for the length of stay. Then he can have a MagicBand to use to access the room. :) It will be no big deal at Disney. I have added people to the room several times and it has always been easy. :)

Did POR change their main pool hours compared to a couple years ago? We were just there for spring break last week. The first night we went to use the main pool it was 7:30pm. We noticed a sign at the entrance gate saying the pool closed at 8pm! Huh??
I asked the lifeguard about this and she was like “yeah we are still on winter hours. We switch to summer hours next week.” Now two years ago when we stayed here it was actually a week earlier I believe and I remember swimming at the main pool well into the evening. So did something change? It was disappointing to have to move over to the smaller pool in between the buildings.

Did POR change their main pool hours compared to a couple years ago?

These sort of things change all the time at Disney, depending on demand, budget and possibly which way the wind is blowing. :

Last year, the peak summer pool hours were 9am-10pm (March and April were still 10am-9pm). This year the summer hours will be 9am-11pm and the switch-over was due to happen on 18 March, far earlier than last year.

Andre

How have the Royal Suites held up over the years? We're booked in one for our upcoming trip. Have they been refurbished since? Hopefully still in good shape with everything looking 'new' and working.

First timers will be joining us. Thought it was a nice way to give them a good taste of the whole "experience".

How have the Royal Suites held up over the years? We're booked in one for our upcoming trip. Have they been refurbished since? Hopefully still in good shape with everything looking 'new' and working.

First timers will be joining us. Thought it was a nice way to give them a good taste of the whole "experience".

I'm curious as well. We check in Saturday!

I am considering adding on 2 nights at Port Orleans Riverside before our stay at the Grand. our plan would be 1st night just go to sleep, the second day sleep in and just do disney springs no parks

I have never stayed there before. Is the property very massive, i just booked a standard view. upon arrival is it a pain to lug your luggage to the different building ? I would rather just do it myself since we would be getting there late and not have to wait upon anyone?

also as far as getting to disney springs it is easier by boat or bus?

and does the boat run all day to disney springs?

i just booked a standard view. upon arrival is it a pain to lug your luggage to the different building ? I would rather just do it myself since we would be getting there late and not have to wait upon anyone?

also as far as getting to disney springs it is easier by boat or bus?

and does the boat run all day to disney springs?

If you are driving, Standard View rooms are all located fairly close to the parking lot, so access is very easy. Otherwisel, some rooms are not too far to walk from the main checkin building, but more likely it would be a bit of a trek if you do it yourself. If you get an upper floor room in Alligator Bayou, remember that those two-story buildings do not have elevators.

The boats to Disney Springs run 10am-11pm (the last returning boat is about 11:30pm), roughly every 20 mins before 4pm and every 10 mins in the evening. I prefer the boat to the bus, it's like an attraction in itself.

Andre

The more pictures I see the more ready I am to check in! Ahh, just 60 days to go now, did fp's this morning, got what we wanted :) hated to get up to early but promptly went back to bed LOL

If you get a bedrail for the fold down in AB will they leave it open the whole week rather than closing the bed when they come in daily? We try to come back daily for a midday rest and the little will nap at times still, so I'd like for her to have her own bed ready.

We have our room booked for our next trip - March 2019 at Port Orleans!!! :yay: We are so excited as we have been looking forward to trying this resort. Any suggestions for best locations for a standard room would be greatly appreciated! :lovestruc

We just stayed in the Royal Rooms a few weeks ago. This particular room was in pretty good shape. I remember the first time staying in a Royal Room 2 years ago, the bathroom had some rust stains, and the showerhead had a leak that sprayed water everywhere. It was a quick fix just by tightening it with my hand.

They have replaced all the mattresses recently, and they are much more comfortable than before. The old ones were as hard as a brick. These new ones are fairly soft.

The only issue we had with our room this time was the first two days, our air conditioner just couldn't seem to keep the room cool to where we wanted it. It was also very noisy with rattles. I finally called maintenance and they showed up within 20 minutes. The guy pulled the a/c unit out and took the filter out. It was filthy! He came back a few minutes later after hosing off the filter, and now the a/c started working great again and no more rattles!

We stayed in one last week and were *really* impressed. Everything felt really new and clean - we had no issues at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter