Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

We've visited Riverside a few times, never stayed, but it is on our short list for our next trip. My question is totally about options and preference. Which of the 4 mansions have the better courtyard or common area? I'd be mostly interested in the river side (the side facing the river, not to be confused with the name of the entire resort. See what I'm doing there) of each building but would like to hear about the parking lot sides if any deserve to be mentioned. I've been looking at pictures and maps to get some idea but I'd like to hear from guest experience. Thanks.

We were just there Thanksgiving for the first time. We were in a Royal Room with a river view in Oak Manor and really liked it. It was an easy walk to the food court. The bus system was pretty good. Sometimes we used the East Depot which is closest to Oak Manor and other times we used the South Depot which is in front of the main building. I don’t know what you mean about better courtyard or common area. We were pretty much at the parks from open to close but people seemed to be out on the lawn eating and other things when we would get back. We did have a rental car and did not use it much but thought we parked pretty close to the building.

We've visited Riverside a few times, never stayed, but it is on our short list for our next trip. My question is totally about options and preference. Which of the 4 mansions have the better courtyard or common area? I'd be mostly interested in the river side (the side facing the river, not to be confused with the name of the entire resort. See what I'm doing there) of each building but would like to hear about the parking lot sides if any deserve to be mentioned. I've been looking at pictures and maps to get some idea but I'd like to hear from guest experience. Thanks.
The two Mansion buildings closer to French Quarter ( Oak & Parterre ) are all Royal Rooms. So to get those you need to book that category.

We are gifting a WDW trip to my parents. They are flying in later than we are and will have a few hours to kill at POR before they Uber to Cali Grill to meet us for dinner. Hopefully the room will become available as they wait, but it may not be available when they arrive.

Anything you would suggest a mid-60s couple do at POR? Pool probably isn’t their thing. I’ll toss out a boat to Disney Springs, but I wondered about things to do on property. Seems too early for the lounge to be open.... any thoughts?

Depending on their mobility they could walk the grounds and go down to FQ for a drink and beignets. Or ride the two person bikes, maybe carriage ride if time appropriate.

We are gifting a WDW trip to my parents. They are flying in later than we are and will have a few hours to kill at POR before they Uber to Cali Grill to meet us for dinner. Hopefully the room will become available as they wait, but it may not be available when they arrive.

Anything you would suggest a mid-60s couple do at POR? Pool probably isn’t their thing. I’ll toss out a boat to Disney Springs, but I wondered about things to do on property. Seems too early for the lounge to be open.... any thoughts?

The pool bar at Riverside has a lot of covered tables which make for a nice place to relax with a drink or a snack (they sell Mickey shaped pretzels) without having to be in your bathing suit at the pool. Or as another poster said, the walk to French Quarter is nice too.

There isn’t a ton to do on property so definitely recommend a boat to DS. Boat there, shopping, lunch and boat back should take them to check in time.

The pool bars at FQ and Riverside are great . The inside lounges at both open early if weather is an issue. We are a few years younger than your parents and enjoy reading & relaxing by the pool . The walk between both resorts is very nice and there are benches along the path which overlooks the river.

Por grounds are beautiful. They can walk around the river paths, explore the gift shop, walk over to Pofq along the river. Very pleasant. Walk around Old Man Island. There’s a gazebo by Magnolia Terrace along the river which is nice to sit in and just take everything in.
If their room is ready they could use the time to unpack and get settled in.
There’s a nice quiet pool in between Acadian House and Magnolia Terrace. These are the 2 non-Royal mansions.
And the main pool has a hot tub.
They could go over to The Contemporary a bit early to look around there and explore the 2 gift shops. Depending on how early they may want to get there they could hop on the monorail and go explore The Poly and GF.

At POR I make my room requests a location close to Old Man Island foot bridge.

Hi, all!

I'm planning my first WDW trip and I have my sights set on the POR Royal Rooms. I'm booking for November 2019 (around Veteran's Day) and I'm wondering...is it too early to book? Do rooms fill up fast, or should I wait for a Fall 2019 sale to get a discount? Thanks!

***Sorry, I'm new to this site and I can't figure out how to post my question. Didn't mean to post as a reply =X

Also can't figure out how to delete this, UGH

Last edited:
Hi, all!

I'm planning my first WDW trip and I have my sights set on the POR Royal Rooms. I'm booking for November 2019 (around Veteran's Day) and I'm wondering...is it too early to book? Do rooms fill up fast, or should I wait for a Fall 2019 sale to get a discount? Thanks!

***Sorry, I'm new to this site and I can't figure out how to post my question. Didn't mean to post as a reply =X

Go ahead and book a room only for now. You’ll only have to deposit the cost of one night. Then watch for a better deal to come out. Have fun planning.

I'm booking for November 2019 (around Veteran's Day) and I'm wondering...is it too early to book? Do rooms fill up fast, or should I wait for a Fall 2019 sale to get a discount? Thanks!
Book now. With the unknown date for Star Wars opening its likely to fill up until the date is known. My agent is booking us for Feb 2020, no deals yet but they will keep an eye out.

Hi, all!

Usually I say to wait until discounts are out to book. But if you want POR Royal Rooms and are going to stay with or without discount then book now. November is getting quite popular especially after Christmas decorations come out.
If you are booking with a good Disney Travel Agent, they will apply your discount when discounts are releases if any are available for your booking.

Edited to add, we stayed in Oak Manor when we had a Royal Room. Loved the central location. We had a room looking out at the fountain in the courtyard facing the river. We had a garden view room but walking out the door we could see the river. We were also quite close to the foot bridge over to main buildings and the satellite bus stop behind the parking lot which we preferred over main depot.
Magnolia Bend is our fav area of Por to stay in. I don’t care for the rooms in Alligator Bayou, they have the extra Murphy bed that takes the place of the dresser. And we don’t need a room for 5.

Last edited:

We've stayed at POR several times and stayed in Magnolia Bend in the Oak bldg #90 room 9274. We had a river view room royal room but TBH we only did that since that was our first stay at POR and though it would be more quiet. If you aren't in the room much, the view is not that critical especially without a balcony. Not sure I would pay more for a river view room again.

We did get a corner room which makes it feel a little bigger with the two windows and being on the second floor, there's next to no foot traffic walking past our corner room since our room is the only one to the right when you walk upstairs. The walk to the food court and to the bus stop isn't long at all and the grounds there are so peaceful, the walks are always enjoyable in nice weather. It was also close to the small pool next to the building. You do need to walk around the magnolia bend section to take in all the pretty aspects of the mansions but it's not critical your room be next to any one part of the area. If we go back again which I am sure we will, I'd stay in the magnolia bend area over the alligator bayou for the location.

Booked a standard room for February and would like to be in AB. What is the best buildings to request as far as proximity to the bus stop and food court? Thanks!

Thinking about booking one night at POR before my DVC resort stay in June through that certain travel agency. I wonder if the standard rooms they offer are in AB or MB? We have stayed in AB before and liked it but I think I would like to try out MB this time.

There are Standard View Rooms in both AB and MB sections.

However the AB ones are mainly being sold under the new "Standard - 5th Sleeper" category now, so if you just book Standard you will more than likely get a mansion building room.

Andre

However the AB ones are mainly being sold under the new "Standard - 5th Sleeper" category now, so if you just book Standard you will more than likely get a mansion building room.

Andre
Can't a party of five just book a standard room and will automatically get the AB section? Glad we have already stayed in the AB and now want to try the MB section in June. Don't want to pay extra for a party of four to be in the AB section. Did they do this upcharge fifth sleeper at CBR as well?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter