Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

We loved this resort. we have stayed at a few resorts including old key west, swan and dolphin, but this is still my favourite.

Anyone know if they currently have the Sea Salt and Pink Grapefruit lotions in the gift shop? I’m also looking for the post # with the address to send an Amazon Prime Now delivery. Thanks.

So, I booked the Royal Rooms back when I thought they would be refurbished by March 2020. Now they have confirmed that they won't be ready then. Does anyone have any recent experience in them? Are they fairly worn? Should I just get a regular room instead?
We stayed in one last NYE and thought the room was in fine shape- no issues at all that I can remember. They just don’t have the newer touches they seem to be doing with all of the refurbs these days- hard floors, etc. which was fine with me given the theming of the rooms, I’m curious to know what the new ones will look like. I’m afraid they might lose a lot of the little touches these rooms have everywhere and trend more generic, but I hope not. It also means they don’t have the USB ports all over, IIRC they weren’t there but I could be wrong.

I just read in a Facebook group that a family of 5 was just contacted by Disney about their upcoming trip in 2020. They were being moved to the Yacht Club, because as of January 1st, 2020, Port Orleans Riverside will no longer have rooms to accommodate 5 people. Could this be true????
I think they must have misunderstood and the resort is fully booked for their days and they have no 5th sleeper rooms left.

This is being reported by many people in different FB groups. If you look on the website, 5th sleeper rooms say they will only accommodate 4 adults. Some of the other categories still state 5 adults, but many people are reporting they have been told this is changing as of January 1. We shall see!

I am going to Disney World from 07MAR - 13MAR2020. The first day I am staying at Pop Century and the rest of the stay I am at POR. I booked the resort via Disney's website. I just saw that I can book the room at POR for around 10% less at Priceline. Are there any disadvantages of cancelling my reservation with Disney and rebooking via Priceline? I also booked Park tickets (4 days) and they are linked to my first reservation at Pop Century. Many thanks.

If you look on the website, 5th sleeper rooms say they will only accommodate 4 adults.

They have marketed the fold-down bed as "child sized" for some time now, but it has not been enforced. Five adults could book a 5th Sleeper room (with three extra-adult supplement fees of course) but they would need to manage expectations of the size of the extra bed. Maybe they are going to enforce that more strongly now?

[Edit]
I've just done some tests, and it does seem like they have changed the criterea for the two 5th Sleeper options (but not the other categories). I can book a room for next week with 4 adults and one 17-year-old child in any of Pool, River, Preferred, 5th Standard and 5th Garden Views, but if I change the search to 5 adults then it only comes up with Pool, River or Preferred. The 5th Sleeper rooms are greyed out due to occupancy limits. Looks like they have adjusted those two, but forgotten to edit the rest of the categories which allow for Alligator Bayou rooms.

Andre

Last edited:

We stayed in one last NYE and thought the room was in fine shape- no issues at all that I can remember. They just don’t have the newer touches they seem to be doing with all of the refurbs these days- hard floors, etc. which was fine with me given the theming of the rooms, I’m curious to know what the new ones will look like. I’m afraid they might lose a lot of the little touches these rooms have everywhere and trend more generic, but I hope not. It also means they don’t have the USB ports all over, IIRC they weren’t there but I could be wrong.

I did notice that the redone rooms looked pretty generic. I'm not thrilled with the new design, tbh, and I'm just as happy to stay in the old Royal rooms. I was just concerned that they might be showing their age.

I did notice that the redone rooms looked pretty generic. I'm not thrilled with the new design, tbh, and I'm just as happy to stay in the old Royal rooms.

Same here, so far none of the refurbished rooms have seemed any more magical or better themed than the old versions. Cleaner/fresher, and a more modern generic hotel style, yes - but that's not why I go to Disney.

Andre

They have marketed the fold-down bed as "child sized" for some time now, but it has not been enforced. Five adults could book a 5th Sleeper room (with three extra-adult supplement fees of course) but they would need to manage expectations of the size of the extra bed. Maybe they are going to enforce that more strongly now?

[Edit]
I've just done some tests, and it does seem like they have changed the criterea for the two 5th Sleeper options (but not the other categories). I can book a room for next week with 4 adults and one 17-year-old child in any of Pool, River, Preferred, 5th Standard and 5th Garden Views, but if I change the search to 5 adults then it only comes up with Pool, River or Preferred. The 5th Sleeper rooms are greyed out due to occupancy limits. Looks like they have adjusted those two, but forgotten to edit the rest of the categories which allow for Alligator Bayou rooms.

Andre

That is what is being reported and people who have booked 5 adults are being moved as was reported by PP upthread. I guess we'll see what happens with Pool, River and Preferred as of Jan. 1 on the site.

I am going to Disney World from 07MAR - 13MAR2020. The first day I am staying at Pop Century and the rest of the stay I am at POR. I booked the resort via Disney's website. I just saw that I can book the room at POR for around 10% less at Priceline. Are there any disadvantages of cancelling my reservation with Disney and rebooking via Priceline? I also booked Park tickets (4 days) and they are linked to my first reservation at Pop Century. Many thanks.
Here is my one and only Priceline story, not even Disney related: I booked a hotel for a weekend stay for my family as we were visiting another city for their 6 Flags park. A good 4 hour drive. We went to the park all day and wanted to crash at my chosen hotel and drive home the next day. When I arrived at the front desk that early evening, we were sunburn, tired, crabby and hungry. I go to check in and they tell me the hotel is now fully booked. My room was no more. The room was given to a member of their hotel's reward program. They issued all sorts of apologies, explained how this could happen, and offered me a discount for a future stay.

Angry (or rather, HANGRY), I left and contacted my own Marriott reward folks and got a Residence Inn room, albeit at a much higher price than my previous Priceline room.

Once home I contacted Priceline and was told these things can in fact happen. They gave me a $50 credit towards my next booking through Priceline. Needless to say, I never used Priceline again.

Just my one experience booking through Priceline and I will never again. I know others have no problems.

Here is my one and only Priceline story, not even Disney related: I booked a hotel for a weekend stay for my family as we were visiting another city for their 6 Flags park. A good 4 hour drive. We went to the park all day and wanted to crash at my chosen hotel and drive home the next day. When I arrived at the front desk that early evening, we were sunburn, tired, crabby and hungry. I go to check in and they tell me the hotel is now fully booked. My room was no more. The room was given to a member of their hotel's reward program. They issued all sorts of apologies, explained how this could happen, and offered me a discount for a future stay.

Angry (or rather, HANGRY), I left and contacted my own Marriott reward folks and got a Residence Inn room, albeit at a much higher price than my previous Priceline room.

Once home I contacted Priceline and was told these things can in fact happen. They gave me a $50 credit towards my next booking through Priceline. Needless to say, I never used Priceline again.

Just my one experience booking through Priceline and I will never again. I know others have no problems.

It sounds like the hotel chose to give away your reservation to a rewards member? Not sure if that's really a priceline issue.

Last edited:
It sounds like the hotel chose to give away your reservation to a rewards member? Not sure if that's really a priceline issue.
Yes, they did and that's what the front desk admitted to me. So we just stayed somewhere else at a higher price that night.

It was a lesson learned for me. If I'm counting on this lodging, let's say for a Disney trip, I'm not putting my trust in Priceline. It really soured me.

Yes, they did and that's what the front desk admitted to me. So we just stayed somewhere else at a higher price that night.

It was a lesson learned for me. If I'm counting on this lodging, let's say for a Disney trip, I'm not putting my trust in Priceline. It really soured me.

Was it a national hotel chain that did this? Seems like a place that would give away your reservation if they could get more money from someone else lol

Was it a national hotel chain that did this? Seems like a place that would give away your reservation if they could get more money from someone else lol
It was a Double Tree hotel as I recall. The gent at the desk was very blunt when he said that discount hotel web sites are a great thing, but when they get jammed with Rewards members needing rooms, the room is in jeopardy.

Don't mean to hijack the Port Orleans thread.

Same here, so far none of the refurbished rooms have seemed any more magical or better themed than the old versions. Cleaner/fresher, and a more modern generic hotel style, yes - but that's not why I go to Disney.

Right? The other Disney hotels refurbs are the same way. I guess that's the trend now, and I'm sure other people like it, but if I'm getting a generic looking room I could do it a heck of a lot cheaper off property. That's one of the main reasons why I chose the Royal room to begin with.

Maybe they will realize this the on the next redesign. The decor is a big part of the draw for some (most?) people.

How far are the rooms from the bus stops? We usually stay at CBR and usually request a parking lot view, the bus stops are close. I'm curious if I can do the same with with POR.

Right? The other Disney hotels refurbs are the same way. I guess that's the trend now, and I'm sure other people like it, but if I'm getting a generic looking room I could do it a heck of a lot cheaper off property. That's one of the main reasons why I chose the Royal room to begin with.

Maybe they will realize this the on the next redesign. The decor is a big part of the draw for some (most?) people.
In the opposite camp😉 regarding the room decor . The look of the room isn't a draw for me let alone DH. Being in the "bubble" is what we like, imperfect as it is sometimes.
We fly down & since the advent of DME haven't gotten a rental car. The buses to the Parks , transportation to DS, DME , the hotel grounds/pools and not having to have to rent a car are what draws us to stay on property.

Is there anywhere to store clothes? There will be 4 of us and I dont like to live out of a suitcase. Are the drawers under the pull down bed functional?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!