Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what hours the tree PhotoPass photographer is in the lobby?
When we stayed there at Christmas time if seemed as if the photographers were there from late afternoon until about 8 pm. I never saw them there too early or too late. They may have been there earlier on the weekends to photograph the huge number of families who showed up all dressed in their Christmas finest so that they could have their family pictures done for Christmas. It must be a local tradition to come to the Wilderness Lodge for Christmas pictures. :)

When we stayed there at Christmas time if seemed as if the photographers were there from late afternoon until about 8 pm. I never saw them there too early or too late. They may have been there earlier on the weekends to photograph the huge number of families who showed up all dressed in their Christmas finest so that they could have their family pictures done for Christmas. It must be a local tradition to come to the Wilderness Lodge for Christmas pictures. :)
Thank you! I have to stop in at WL and check out all the holiday decor and would love to get another pic. My current plan is before my 7:00pm sleigh ride and 8:30pm HDDR. Seems like 6pm should be ok then.

My family just tried to stop into wilderness lodge and check out the decorations but were turned away. You need to be a guest or on a bus he said. Come back Jan 1st is what we were told. And we are dvc members. So not cool

My family just tried to stop into wilderness lodge and check out the decorations but were turned away. You need to be a guest or on a bus he said. Come back Jan 1st is what we were told. And we are dvc members. So not cool

That tends to happen on the weekends in December. If you're not a guest, don't have an ADR and the lot is full they will turn you away.

Were you driving? A couple of years ago we were turned away at Boardwalk (wanted to check out the Epcot resort decorations) due to lot capacity. They were only letting guests staying there use the lot. It happens at busy times.

Yes, it is cool, if the lot is full. Because you can bet if you were a guest at BRV or CC and came back and couldn't park you'd be livid. So if the lots are getting overly crowded they have to do something to make sure the paying guests can park. Don't you think?

Next week, my boyfriend and I will be staying at the Wilderness Lodge for three nights and I can’t contain my excitement. It’s a surprise as part of a Christmas present for him because he thinks we are staying at ASMo and has absolutely no idea we are going to be at wilderness...I don’t want him to know until we pull up to the hotel. Any suggestions on how to make this not super obvious driving up? I was thinking maybe telling him I made us reservations for lunch or that I wanted to see the decorations? If anyone has done something similar please let me know how you pulled it off! :)

Next week, my boyfriend and I will be staying at the Wilderness Lodge for three nights and I can’t contain my excitement. It’s a surprise as part of a Christmas present for him because he thinks we are staying at ASMo and has absolutely no idea we are going to be at wilderness...I don’t want him to know until we pull up to the hotel. Any suggestions on how to make this not super obvious driving up? I was thinking maybe telling him I made us reservations for lunch or that I wanted to see the decorations? If anyone has done something similar please let me know how you pulled it off! :)
I've never done this, but if you are driving, the guy at the little guard house will ask you why you are there. Maybe you can have a note ready to hand him? And out loud, to your BF, you can say you're going to lunch so that you can see the decorations. ( you heard online that they were turning people away) Then, after lunch, go over to guest services and check in! Good luck!!

I'm a DVC member, too, and I can't think of a reason why that (in and of itself) would entitle me to go to a different resort -- unless I were pool hopping at a resort where it is allowed and during a time when it is allowed. Do you know about a DVC benefit that I don't know about?

When I was there in August, the bus service between Wilderness Lodge and Magic Kingdom was very good. Short ride, and I never had to wait a long time. The bus service to/from other parks was not so great - longer rides and longer waits. So if I really wanted to see the decorations, I would combine it with a Magic Kingdom Day. Or, if you want to check out the monorail resorts as well, you could take the boat between the Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge.

When I was there in August, the guy at the gate always gave my driver a hard time, whether it was Tiffany Towncar or Uber/Lyft. One time I was sitting in the back on the passenger side. He made me slide over to the driver's side and pretended to scan my magic band. So I wouldn't count on getting any help there - and that was not during a super busy time. I don't know if they have a list to check ADRs. See the quote from another poster; I would think the gate guy would be even less cooperative next week. I would think the big surprise would have to take place at the guard gate.

What if you actually booked an ADR at whispering canyon around your desired arrival time? Then you could tell the gate agent you are dining there and when scanned it can truly be verified. If you don't want to actually eat there you could still make the ADR and risk the no-show fee and just not go. Would $20 lost be worth the surprise?

Yes, I actually did try this. It didn't work though for me. It's just too obvious when you pull up to the wrong/different resort. I never came up with a logical reason to stop at a different resort on our way in. Not before going to our resort first. He was still surprised when we drove to the guard shack

What if you actually booked an ADR at whispering canyon around your desired arrival time? Then you could tell the gate agent you are dining there and when scanned it can truly be verified. If you don't want to actually eat there you could still make the ADR and risk the no-show fee and just not go. Would $20 lost be worth the surprise?

This was actually going to be my suggestion too. Risk a no show fee, or do eat, if you like WC. Though when the guard scans the band they should see both, that you are checking in and that you have an ADR. They may say something about Welcome Home, though I bet you can find some way to brush that statement off if you think on it

Best aunt...I think that everyone should be allowed to see any resort any time they want. Especially ones with awesome decorations. I was just stating that not even being a dvc member had pull. It would be like not allowing anyone to see the great gingerbread house at grand Floridian.

Best aunt...I think that everyone should be allowed to see any resort any time they want. Especially ones with awesome decorations. I was just stating that not even being a dvc member had pull. It would be like not allowing anyone to see the great gingerbread house at grand Floridian.

They are not restricting people from seeing the decorations, they are just restricting parking at the resort. The resorts need to ensure that all registered guests, and guests with ADRs at the resort's restaurants, that need to park, can find parking, which means that they may have to turn away guests who are just visiting and do not have an ADR. People are still more than welcome to visit the resorts, even if parking is restricted, they just need to take WDW transportation to get there. This is more than reasonable.

Did you truly think the guard meant you were not allowed to even enter the resort at all, no matter how you arrived, that it was closed to anyone not staying there or dining there? No, that is not what he meant.
He meant you couldn't park. His comment about taking a bus meant you can arrive there on Disney transportation. So you are allowed to see the resort any time you want. You simply are not allowed to park there any time you want. You do realize why that is, right?

Yes, I actually did try this. It didn't work though for me. It's just too obvious when you pull up to the wrong/different resort. I never came up with a logical reason to stop at a different resort on our way in. Not before going to our resort first. He was still surprised when we drove to the guard shack

This was actually going to be my suggestion too. Risk a no show fee, or do eat, if you like WC. Though when the guard scans the band they should see both, that you are checking in and that you have an ADR. They may say something about Welcome Home, though I bet you can find some way to brush that statement off if you think on it

I think I may just have to tell him as we approach the gate or just casually say we are checking in to the guard and let him be pleasantly surprised (or confused) as we drive up haha. I was initially going to say we are looking at the decorations but it doesn’t seem smart to risk it now that parking is probably going to be limited. Thanks for the suggestions!

Stayed at WL last week for the first time. Had a CCV room, actually, on first floor - which was disappointing after requesting anything else (literally). But knowing it was just a request and not a guarantee, we just moved on and enjoyed our time.

The studio room was new and clean, and we loved the kitchenette.

Mousekeeping was phenomenal and waitstaff at Geyser Point and Whispering Canyon nailed it. More so than other locations we visited.

Stayed at AKL last year, so maybe our ability to be wowed was stunted, but we didn’t get that stunning entry we hoped for - but it was a beautiful lobby and well-maintained.

Photographers in lobby - without a line most times. Except about an hour before the MVMCP when everyone is decked out!

Individual toiletries still available for us.

Boat transport was great - efficient and friendly.

We did a MK deluxe comparison with our kids (Contemporary, Poly, GF) and WL has everything we want/need. Will miss AKL, but we may be converts (unless we get a great deal at AKL to woo us back).

Stayed at WL last week for the first time. Had a CCV room, actually, on first floor - which was disappointing after requesting anything else (literally). But knowing it was just a request and not a guarantee, we just moved on and enjoyed our time.

The studio room was new and clean, and we loved the kitchenette.

Mousekeeping was phenomenal and waitstaff at Geyser Point and Whispering Canyon nailed it. More so than other locations we visited.

Stayed at AKL last year, so maybe our ability to be wowed was stunted, but we didn’t get that stunning entry we hoped for - but it was a beautiful lobby and well-maintained.

Photographers in lobby - without a line most times. Except about an hour before the MVMCP when everyone is decked out!

Individual toiletries still available for us.

Boat transport was great - efficient and friendly.

We did a MK deluxe comparison with our kids (Contemporary, Poly, GF) and WL has everything we want/need. Will miss AKL, but we may be converts (unless we get a great deal at AKL to woo us back).

We also were told first floor was only available when we checked in last Saturday... they said we could take the first floor room and then move the following day. However, we did not want to do that. I could have taken a Woods view room, as it was available immediately, but opted to wait for Courtyard view. The only downside to 1st floor, for me, is I don’t like that I can’t keep my curtains open all day for the natural light. Hope you had a good trip!

The DW and I just got back from a 7 day stay at WL club level. We enjoyed the Old Faithful Club much more than the King Kamehameha Club at Poly and we would highly recommend it. Overall it was a great stay but we feel the crowds have become too much for us.

The DW and I just got back from a 7 day stay at WL club level. We enjoyed the Old Faithful Club much more than the King Kamehameha Club at Poly and we would highly recommend it. Overall it was a great stay but we feel the crowds have become too much for us.
I also prefer the Old Faithful Club to the Poly CL. Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay despite the crowds. It was very busy Thanksgiving week, but I found the lounge at the WL quite relaxing and peaceful. I enjoyed unwinding there after our busy park days.

So this is interesting - my sister is meeting me and my mom this weekend at WL, but the reservation is under my name. Will she have an issue getting past the guard gate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter