DisneySea's Mermaid Lagoon Theater plot twist

SteamboatWillie28

Mouseketeer
Hey everyone. So the summer after my Senior year of high school, I took a vacation with my family to TDR, and I remember being a little taken back at first when watching the Under the Sea show at the Mermaid Lagoon Theater when Ariel decides not to become a human. At first I was very confused then the more I thought about it, the more it seemed to make sense that a country where obeying you elders is drastically important wouldn't idolize a girl who disobey her father as Ariel does. Now a Sophomore in college, I decided to do a speech on Disney in Japanese culture. However I can't find anything that is supporting my memory on Tokyo's storyline change to The Little Mermaid. Can anyone else recall this change and if so do you know of any other reasons for making the change. Also if anyone has any other ideas of what I should incorporate into my speech it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I was just there last December, and I can confirm the difference in the story as presented in DisneySea. I think it has to do with Japan's collectivist culture, where the group is more important than the individuals, and fitting in is very important. It seems very strange to the individualistic culture that most American's come from since the values are very different.

I loved DisneySea, and seeing Disney done through the lens of a very different culture. I love how many adults wore character hats, and the men didn't seem so bound by "macho" kind of stereotypes, and seemed more free to express "cute" themes than most American men would.

Good luck on the paper!

The fact that the attraction is in DisneySea may have something to do with it....like not wanting to leave the Sea :)

If you want or need to you can give other examples of other changes Japan has made.

"Every" Disney character is engaged or married: Mickey/Minnie; Stich/(there is a Pink Stich, can't remember the name right now and kids are failing me)

They took to Duffy when the US shunned him. Duffy started at WDW but was exported to TDL when there was no "market" for him. 20ish years later they are bring him home.

Another thing that you may also want to mention, at the Tokoyo Fish Market there is suppose to be a temple/shrine with graves for the fish eggs and parts not used. (I have not been but according to my Travel Book it is there and we plan on seeing it). I know in Okinawa, they depend on the sea for lots of things. For what we have been able to tell it is the same in mainland Japan. The sea and things of the sea are predominate in the culture from folklore to food to medicine.

Good luck with your speech

I was just there at the end of March.

Marie, the white cat from the Aristocats, is very popular in Tokyo Disney. At the end of the Big Band Beat show, she is one of the characters who comes out and dances on stage (along with Mickey), and she was mobbed by people when she was in the park, and they sell souvenirs with her on them too.

I think she is the Disney version of Hello Kitty.

You find white cats everywhere. Here's info about the lucky cat in Japan. http://www.best-cat-art.com/Japanese-lucky-cat.html

Oh, and Disney sells as souvenirs Disney versions of the charms sold at most major shinto shrines in Japan.

Here's a page with info about the shrines and some photos of the charms (near the bottom). http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/shrine-guide-2.shtml

Disney had some for sale (mouse ear shaped or heart shaped as well as the regular rectangles). They have Mickey, Minnie, etc.

Disney "Disneyfied" the original Little Mermaid by making her live as a human, in the original story she chose to die so her prince could be happy, and she became the foam on the waves or something like that.

Maybe they decided to meet half way between the Disney version and the original, she doesn't remain a human, and returns to the sea, but she just doesn't die :confused3

I used to love the original Little Mermaid cartoon when I was little, but now I find it a bit creepy :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter