Disneyworld after surgery/break

Tinatheneedle

Mouseketeer
I am so grateful for the DIS and the amazing amount of info available plus all of you! I posted this over on the community forum and received plenty of helpful replies but it’s time to ask the experts here!

First, the trip: May 19-25. Staying at OKW in a 2BDR on rented points. Park hoppers. DH, DD(33), DGD(2.5) and I.

The situation: I had arthroscopic knee surgery on my left knee one week ago. Last Friday, in a fog of anesthesia, I thought I was getting out of bed but instead I fell out of bed. Right fibula, a bone in my foot, and my big toe broke. I will be in an aircast for 6-8 weeks.

So far, we’ve decided to go ahead and go on the trip, but rent a scooter that will be delivered to the resort. Based on some research, we may go with Buena Vista rentals.

My concerns: everything! I’m still on crutches, but maybe I won’t need them at 5 weeks out. Should we use DME? Should we still ride the bus as transportation? Do Minnie vans allow scooters(they’re the only rideshare with car seats for DGD)? Would it be an option if busses are taking forever? Maybe we should rent a car? Where do I park the scooter just to browse in a shop? I am an obsessive, spreadsheet making grandmother who needs details! How do y’all plan your trips in a scooter?

DME has stare that you will need to go up they do have ways to load wheelchair in if you have one.

As fair as parking your scooter if you feel like you need to then you can ask a CM or if you find others parked close by then you can park it with them.

Yes the Minnie van are wheelchair ECV accessible but you might have to wait longer

It's possible to rent a scooter that is portable and can be broken down to fit in a car trunk or van but you would likely need someone who can take it apart and put it back together to help you. We've also done the Minnie Van with an ECV and it was very easy. They don't have many vans tho that can take an ECV so your wait time can really vary with this I'd think (we only took it once). I'd think the Disney bus service is the easiest. If the bus was super crowded (after fireworks for example) and there are many scooters waiting to board - I've sometimes sent my family back to the resort in an Uber and waited on the bus. We usually all go back and take showers and what not anyway so by the time I get back at least they've started all that - might be an option for you. I personally wouldn't bother with a car unless you wanted to get one anyway.

I often park the scooter to walk in a shop and it's fairly easy to find some place out of the way but close by to park it. If you want to stay in it, I suggest shopping in the morning - seems like the crowds grow as the day goes on and it's about impossible to move in some stores in an ECV in the evenings, after fireworks, etc.

Check out the FAQ to get acquainted with what rides you can bring your ECV in the que and so on - but the cast members can help with that info as well. It's not necessary to memorize all this.

I've rented from both BV (many times) and Gold Mobility and far prefer Gold Mobility - there's a thread here on them.

I am so grateful for the DIS and the amazing amount of info available plus all of you! I posted this over on the community forum and received plenty of helpful replies but it’s time to ask the experts here!

First, the trip: May 19-25. Staying at OKW in a 2BDR on rented points. Park hoppers. DH, DD(33), DGD(2.5) and I.

The situation: I had arthroscopic knee surgery on my left knee one week ago. Last Friday, in a fog of anesthesia, I thought I was getting out of bed but instead I fell out of bed. Right fibula, a bone in my foot, and my big toe broke. I will be in an aircast for 6-8 weeks.

So far, we’ve decided to go ahead and go on the trip, but rent a scooter that will be delivered to the resort. Based on some research, we may go with Buena Vista rentals.

My concerns: everything! I’m still on crutches, but maybe I won’t need them at 5 weeks out. Should we use DME? Should we still ride the bus as transportation? Do Minnie vans allow scooters(they’re the only rideshare with car seats for DGD)? Would it be an option if busses are taking forever? Maybe we should rent a car? Where do I park the scooter just to browse in a shop? I am an obsessive, spreadsheet making grandmother who needs details! How do y’all plan your trips in a scooter?
one thing at end of night as a PP said send DD and DGD ahead if they can go thru line ahead of all scooters if it will be more than one bus. make sure you and DH know how to take scooter apart and put back together. if you decide on the Minnie Van. granted our granddaughter was a little older than yours but her biggest complaint of the trip was when she found out she was riding home in her car and not a Disney bus. she even cried that night about it. I am guessing based on DGD age you will be spending a lot of time at Magic Kingdom. remember you will have to take either a ferry or monorail from car parking lot to park. plus you will not be able to use parking lot tram with scooter. at the end of night there will be lines for those also. for rides you will use your scooter or a ride wheelchair at a few rides all the way to the rides. if you are without the crutches by trip I would have one or a cane to help with balance getting on and off rides. boat rides are some of the hardest rides to get on and out of. at closing time from what I have heard, have never used Minnie Vans, you can have a wait for a van that can take your scooter as there are not enough of them. I have always taken my scooter in stores when I used. I have had to transfer to a chair and then they bought scooter back at end of meal at most restaurants. I am no help with DME as we drive and yes we used buses over driving to parks. hopes this helps you

...My concerns: everything! I’m still on crutches, but maybe I won’t need them at 5 weeks out. Should we use DME? Should we still ride the bus as transportation? Do Minnie vans allow scooters(they’re the only rideshare with car seats for DGD)? Would it be an option if busses are taking forever? Maybe we should rent a car? Where do I park the scooter just to browse in a shop? I am an obsessive, spreadsheet making grandmother who needs details! How do y’all plan your trips in a scooter?

So I plan my trips using my personal mobility device just like an able-bodied person does :) Yes, there are some differences, but overall WDW is about the easiest place to use a scooter, so don't worry! :)

Use DME if you want to - but know that if you can't make it up the stairs you will have to ride the lift on the side of the bus while sitting in a wheelchair (you may want to consider traveling with a wheelchair - it flies for free, no additional charge and you family can push you through the airport)

When we fly, I take my own personal mobility device, and I have to ride the lift to get in and out of the DME. It's not a big deal - just let the good folks at DME know when you check in for your Resort bus. If you do take a wheelchair along for the airport end(s) of your trips, then the DME driver can just store it under the bus for the trips to/from the airport. At the hotel, you can just store it in the room folded.

Minnie Vans *do* have accessible vans available, but as my friend @gap2368 said, you may have to wait longer for one of those vehicles. It certainly is an option, but in my (personal) experience, buses to/from the Deluxe/DVC Resorts tend to be a bit more... timely :) Remember that when you are using your scooter, you will board the bus first, but get off the bus last. Boats will have portable ramps, and the Monorail uses a similar portable ramp system as well. You will easily be able to use the boats to/from OKW to Disney Springs. Just always listen to your bus driver, or boat captain, or other transportation CM - they will help guide you and always have your safety at the forefront of their instructions!

And as far as car rental, that's a personal choice - remember that as was noted above, someone will have to take the ECV apart and re-assemble it every time you use the rental car.

You can easily park outside any shop if you want, but just FYI, overall I find that I can make my way through almost every shop I want to. I go slowly and CMs will be glad to help you reach things if needed.

Remember that the rule is "One seat, one butt" - please don't carry children on the ECV with you for safety reasons. It's a Disney rule, but it just makes sense; no one wants a little nugget to get hurt because they fell off or jumped off a moving scooter.

Bathrooms: You can leave the scooter outside the bathroom as well - although some of the HA stalls (which have rails that may be handy for you to use if you are having trouble standing) can accommodate devices - you may have to back out. Family/Companion restrooms are scattered around the parks as well, and you can take the scooter in, or leave it outside.

Bring along a brightly colored bandana or some fun grosgrain ribbon to tie onto your rental scooter - it will help it stand out in a sea of nearly identical rentals! Remember that any time you leave the scooter, you want to take everything with you; I find that a backpack works better for me on Park days than a purse because it's easier to carry over my shoulder. I also carry a folding cane on my personal device.

Remember also that First Aid may be a good resource for you - if you need to lie down for a bit or find you need some OTC pain relief, check in at First Aid. They are a great resource for more than just band-aids for booboos! :)

Probably the most important thing to remember is to fully charge the battery in your Resort room every night - that way you can go go go all day the next day without worry!

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask! :)

Renting off-site is a great idea, but I will strongly recommend Gold Mobility over everyone else, especially Buena Vista.

Buena Vista doesn't have very good customer service in my experience and the quality.of their equipment is fairly poor. We rented from Gold Mobility on this last trip and I can honestly say that as long as I need an ECV, I will not rent from anyone else in the Orlando area. Their customer service is phenomenal, the one minor issue we had was responded to with a fix within a few minutes that worked and had it not they would have had a replacement unit to us within about 30 minutes back in America Adventure at EPCOT, not an easy location to get to. When we had an issue Buena Vista wouldn't bring the replacement into the park, in fact it took a couple days to get a replacement and they are well, I think pretentious is the best word I can use for them when talking to them on the phone.

Add in that Gold Mobility is substantially less expensive, replaces every ECV every six months, and on the higher capacity models has a cell phone holder, cup holder, fan and you can choose one free additional accessory. If you get the even heavier duty Maxima, it also comes with a cane holder plus one more accessory and a water bottle holder as well. Don't forget the undercarriage lighting either. Plus they give free ponchos and a tiller cover for the rainy days.

They meet you at your resort as you are getting off of Magical Express (or when you specify), yes they are flexible if something happens, like flight delays, etc. and you need to change times and adjust everything for you to be as comfortable as possible and they have more adjustments that can be made than any other ECV I have seen. And they show you how to safely.operate the ECV.

Plus if you feel uncomfortable with the ECV
you rented, you can return it for a full refund. And apparently if you want to purchase it, your full rental price will be applied as credit toward the purchase price according to their Facebook posts.

I know it seems like many of us are nothing more that ads for Gold Mobility these days, but seriously, I can't overemphasize how much better they are than anyone else out there. Their customer service is quite literally the best I have had with ANY company EVER.

I wouldn't rent a car, the Minnie Vans do have accessible Vans available, you have to call for them instead of the app, but can be done.

We had three ecvs on our last trip, I was usually one the second bus and I don't think I ever waited more than 10 minutes for the bus, maybe 15 if the first one wasnt there when we got there.

Magical Express will take good care of you, just let them know in advance a out the crutches (not essential, just helpful).

Most shops are accessible with no problem, but you can park outside near where you see strollers.

Last edited:
As a general response to all of you, THANK YOU:thanks:. The folks over on the community board weren’t kidding when they told me to go talk to “the good people of the DISabilities board-they’re a wealth of information.” Thank you for taking the time to write and share your experience with me and others who may be in need of advice.

DME has stare that you will need to go up they do have ways to load wheelchair in if you have one.

As fair as parking your scooter if you feel like you need to then you can ask a CM or if you find others parked close by then you can park it with them.

Yes the Minnie van are wheelchair ECV accessible but you might have to wait longer

Stairs...I remember those steep stairs! I may be using a wheelchair for the ride...I’ll see how I’m doing. With crutches, maybe? Down will be harder than up, but it’s only once up and once down. My concern is my pain level, which will probably be pretty high. Doc said my knee will swell. My leg will swell. It’s gonna hurt. Flying will not be fun. But hey, that’s what ice is for, right?

It's possible to rent a scooter that is portable and can be broken down to fit in a car trunk or van but you would likely need someone who can take it apart and put it back together to help you. We've also done the Minnie Van with an ECV and it was very easy. They don't have many vans tho that can take an ECV so your wait time can really vary with this I'd think (we only took it once). I'd think the Disney bus service is the easiest. If the bus was super crowded (after fireworks for example) and there are many scooters waiting to board - I've sometimes sent my family back to the resort in an Uber and waited on the bus. We usually all go back and take showers and what not anyway so by the time I get back at least they've started all that - might be an option for you. I personally wouldn't bother with a car unless you wanted to get one anyway.

I often park the scooter to walk in a shop and it's fairly easy to find some place out of the way but close by to park it. If you want to stay in it, I suggest shopping in the morning - seems like the crowds grow as the day goes on and it's about impossible to move in some stores in an ECV in the evenings, after fireworks, etc.

Check out the FAQ to get acquainted with what rides you can bring your ECV in the que and so on - but the cast members can help with that info as well. It's not necessary to memorize all this.

I've rented from both BV (many times) and Gold Mobility and far prefer Gold Mobility - there's a thread here on them.

Excellent idea on sending the fam ahead to OKW while I wait for a spot on the bus! Especially for DGD. I remember even our 8 year old son falling asleep on me on the bus ride to CBR when we went years ago. He wanted to be carried! That’s a hard no, little man!

Since we need a car seat for DGD, we are limited to Minnie vans as alternate transportation because Uber and Lyft apparently do not provide carseats. We have pretty much decided to only send DH and DD to evening activities and DGD and I will stay back at resort, sleeping(her) and icing/elevating my legs. A different kind of trip, to be sure, but that’s the way it is!

FAQ? ECV info on queue access! Wowza! I need to go read. I’m starting to have a little hope that our plans aren’t completely out the window! But seriously, we are traveling with a 2.5 yo so they were already “suggested” plans, anyway! :upsidedow

I rented from Buena Vista before reading here (dumb move), and I’m seriously thinking about changing over to Gold Mobility. The free cup holder has me thinking...:moped:All kidding aside, the idea of being stuck waaaay in the back of EPCOT kinda terrifies me.

So I plan my trips using my personal mobility device just like an able-bodied person does :) Yes, there are some differences, but overall WDW is about the easiest place to use a scooter, so don't worry! :)

Use DME if you want to - but know that if you can't make it up the stairs you will have to ride the lift on the side of the bus while sitting in a wheelchair (you may want to consider traveling with a wheelchair - it flies for free, no additional charge and you family can push you through the airport)

When we fly, I take my own personal mobility device, and I have to ride the lift to get in and out of the DME. It's not a big deal - just let the good folks at DME know when you check in for your Resort bus. If you do take a wheelchair along for the airport end(s) of your trips, then the DME driver can just store it under the bus for the trips to/from the airport. At the hotel, you can just store it in the room folded.

Minnie Vans *do* have accessible vans available, but as my friend @gap2368 said, you may have to wait longer for one of those vehicles. It certainly is an option, but in my (personal) experience, buses to/from the Deluxe/DVC Resorts tend to be a bit more... timely :) Remember that when you are using your scooter, you will board the bus first, but get off the bus last. Boats will have portable ramps, and the Monorail uses a similar portable ramp system as well. You will easily be able to use the boats to/from OKW to Disney Springs. Just always listen to your bus driver, or boat captain, or other transportation CM - they will help guide you and always have your safety at the forefront of their instructions!

And as far as car rental, that's a personal choice - remember that as was noted above, someone will have to take the ECV apart and re-assemble it every time you use the rental car.

You can easily park outside any shop if you want, but just FYI, overall I find that I can make my way through almost every shop I want to. I go slowly and CMs will be glad to help you reach things if needed.

Remember that the rule is "One seat, one butt" - please don't carry children on the ECV with you for safety reasons. It's a Disney rule, but it just makes sense; no one wants a little nugget to get hurt because they fell off or jumped off a moving scooter.

Bathrooms: You can leave the scooter outside the bathroom as well - although some of the HA stalls (which have rails that may be handy for you to use if you are having trouble standing) can accommodate devices - you may have to back out. Family/Companion restrooms are scattered around the parks as well, and you can take the scooter in, or leave it outside.

Bring along a brightly colored bandana or some fun grosgrain ribbon to tie onto your rental scooter - it will help it stand out in a sea of nearly identical rentals! Remember that any time you leave the scooter, you want to take everything with you; I find that a backpack works better for me on Park days than a purse because it's easier to carry over my shoulder. I also carry a folding cane on my personal device.

Remember also that First Aid may be a good resource for you - if you need to lie down for a bit or find you need some OTC pain relief, check in at First Aid. They are a great resource for more than just band-aids for booboos! :)

Probably the most important thing to remember is to fully charge the battery in your Resort room every night - that way you can go go go all day the next day without worry!

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask! :)

I definitely plan to use a wheelchair thru both airports. We are flying out of Houston and IAH is massive. I will never be able to get to the gate on crutches alone. I’ve looked at their website and it’s less than helpful. I think my husband is going to ask a skycap when we arrive at airport for some help.

Thank you for letting me know I can ride a boat with scooter. I thought I’d have to miss Disney Springs by boat! I figured there might be a bus, but I truly love taking boat transportation when we are at WDW.

Ahhh...shopping! My favorite. I especially like to buy pins, and fortunately the pin kiosks are open sided so I should be able to maneuver easily. I’m a little nervous about driving the scooter. Before we go, I need to go to Home Depot or the grocery store and practice!

Hopefully I can park and walk into bathrooms. If line is long...time to drive to another, or DD and DGD and I try the family restroom. Great idea!

First aid stations are something I would have never even considered! Even 15 minutes of lying down with ice/elevation would make another hour or two at the park possible. I would never consider taking a bed from someone who has an emergency but if First Aid isn’t too busy...

And yes, definitely need to embellish the scooter! I’m a quilter so I have LOTS of fabric...there may even be a bit of Disney fabric I can find. Of course it’s all upstairs and there’s no sewing for a loooong time around here, but maybe I can cajole someone into finding a piece up in my room(um...mess)..ahem...

Renting off-site is a great idea, but I will strongly recommend Gold Mobility over everyone else, especially Buena Vista.

Buena Vista doesn't have very good customer service in my experience and the quality.of their equipment is fairly poor. We rented from Gold Mobility on this last trip and I can honestly say that as long as I need an ECV, I will not rent from anyone else in the Orlando area. Their customer service is phenomenal, the one minor issue we had was responded to with a fix within a few minutes that worked and had it not they would have had a replacement unit to us within about 30 minutes back in America Adventure at EPCOT, not an easy location to get to. When we had an issue Buena Vista wouldn't bring the replacement into the park, in fact it took a couple days to get a replacement and they are well, I think pretentious is the best word I can use for them when talking to them on the phone.

Add in that Gold Mobility is substantially less expensive, replaces every ECV every six months, and on the higher capacity models has a cell phone holder, cup holder, fan and you can choose one free additional accessory. If you get the even heavier duty Maxima, it also comes with a cane holder plus one more accessory and a water bottle holder as well. Don't forget the undercarriage lighting either. Plus they give free ponchos and a tiller cover for the rainy days.

They meet you at your resort as you are getting off of Magical Express (or when you specify), yes they are flexible if something happens, like flight delays, etc. and you need to change times and adjust everything for you to be as comfortable as possible and they have more adjustments that can be made than any other ECV I have seen. And they show you how to safely.operate the ECV.

Plus if you feel uncomfortable with the ECV
you rented, you can return it for a full refund. And apparently if you want to purchase it, your full rental price will be applied as credit toward the purchase price according to their Facebook posts.

I know it seems like many of us are nothing more that ads for Gold Mobility these days, but seriously, I can't overemphasize how much better they are than anyone else out there. Their customer service is quite literally the best I have had with ANY company EVER.

I wouldn't rent a car, the Minnie Vans do have accessible Vans available, you have to call for them instead of the app, but can be done.

We had three ecvs on our last trip, I was usually one the second bus and I don't think I ever waited more than 10 minutes for the bus, maybe 15 if the first one wasnt there when we got there.

Magical Express will take good care of you, just let them know in advance a out the crutches (not essential, just helpful).

Most shops are accessible with no problem, but you can park outside near where you see strollers.

Oh geeeezzzz just thinking about getting stuck on a dead ECV, especially at EPCOT, gives me the willies. I did rent from Buena but I’m seriously considering switching to Gold...

Good to know about where to park the ECV. I was especially concerned about fantasyland. We will be spending lots of time there because 2.5 yo DGD is with us, and it’s stroller insanity in that central area. I will have to get used to asking CM’s for help, something I just don’t do on a normal basis. I’m a very independent, “take care of things on my own”, kind of person. This will be a very different trip and an excellent learning opportunity.

I just had a nice talk with the Minnie Van folks. I verified that the regular Minnie Vans aren’t available for scooters, even if the scooter can be broken down. We’re supposed to call 45 min.-1 hour ahead for accessible van pick up. And yes, we pay from resort, not phone. Magic band should be sufficient. Phone number is 407-828-3500.

Oh geeeezzzz just thinking about getting stuck on a dead ECV, especially at EPCOT, gives me the willies. I did rent from Buena but I’m seriously considering switching to Gold...
I would seriously switch to Gold, for our dates, there is about a $730 price difference, but even if Gold was the same price I would rent from them over Buena Vista, heck even if they were higher, I would probably still go with them.

While I got everything as close as I could on Buena Vista's ECV, it is still missing the cell phone holder and the undercarriage lighting. But that isn't my biggest complaint, for that, we have to go to the Land Pavilion where we almost did get stuck with a dead ECV that was rented from Buena Vista and it wasn't just that the battery didn't hold a charge all day that was my issue, but also the fact that they took so long to fix the issue.

So my number one tip is use Gold Mobility, then you won't get stuck somewhere and if you somehow do, they will come to you in a timely manner.

I just had a nice talk with the Minnie Van folks. I verified that the regular Minnie Vans aren’t available for scooters, even if the scooter can be broken down. We’re supposed to call 45 min.-1 hour ahead for accessible van pick up. And yes, we pay from resort, not phone. Magic band should be sufficient. Phone number is 407-828-3500.
This is correct because the regular Minnie Vans have car seats in the trunk and so there wouldn't be space for the scooter. In reality in January, we found it took them about 15 minutes to get to us after we called and said we were ready as no one told us the 45 minutes to an hour ahead part.

As a general response to all of you, THANK YOU:thanks:. The folks over on the community board weren’t kidding when they told me to go talk to “the good people of the DISabilities board-they’re a wealth of information.” Thank you for taking the time to write and share your experience with me and others who may be in need of advice.

Stairs...I remember those steep stairs! I may be using a wheelchair for the ride...I’ll see how I’m doing. With crutches, maybe? Down will be harder than up, but it’s only once up and once down. My concern is my pain level, which will probably be pretty high. Doc said my knee will swell. My leg will swell. It’s gonna hurt. Flying will not be fun. But hey, that’s what ice is for, right?

Excellent idea on sending the fam ahead to OKW while I wait for a spot on the bus! Especially for DGD. I remember even our 8 year old son falling asleep on me on the bus ride to CBR when we went years ago. He wanted to be carried! That’s a hard no, little man!

Since we need a car seat for DGD, we are limited to Minnie vans as alternate transportation because Uber and Lyft apparently do not provide carseats. We have pretty much decided to only send DH and DD to evening activities and DGD and I will stay back at resort, sleeping(her) and icing/elevating my legs. A different kind of trip, to be sure, but that’s the way it is!

FAQ? ECV info on queue access! Wowza! I need to go read. I’m starting to have a little hope that our plans aren’t completely out the window! But seriously, we are traveling with a 2.5 yo so they were already “suggested” plans, anyway! :upsidedow

I rented from Buena Vista before reading here (dumb move), and I’m seriously thinking about changing over to Gold Mobility. The free cup holder has me thinking...:moped:All kidding aside, the idea of being stuck waaaay in the back of EPCOT kinda terrifies me.

I definitely plan to use a wheelchair thru both airports. We are flying out of Houston and IAH is massive. I will never be able to get to the gate on crutches alone. I’ve looked at their website and it’s less than helpful. I think my husband is going to ask a skycap when we arrive at airport for some help.

Thank you for letting me know I can ride a boat with scooter. I thought I’d have to miss Disney Springs by boat! I figured there might be a bus, but I truly love taking boat transportation when we are at WDW.

Ahhh...shopping! My favorite. I especially like to buy pins, and fortunately the pin kiosks are open sided so I should be able to maneuver easily. I’m a little nervous about driving the scooter. Before we go, I need to go to Home Depot or the grocery store and practice!

Hopefully I can park and walk into bathrooms. If line is long...time to drive to another, or DD and DGD and I try the family restroom. Great idea!

First aid stations are something I would have never even considered! Even 15 minutes of lying down with ice/elevation would make another hour or two at the park possible. I would never consider taking a bed from someone who has an emergency but if First Aid isn’t too busy...

And yes, definitely need to embellish the scooter! I’m a quilter so I have LOTS of fabric...there may even be a bit of Disney fabric I can find. Of course it’s all upstairs and there’s no sewing for a loooong time around here, but maybe I can cajole someone into finding a piece up in my room(um...mess)..ahem...

Good to know about where to park the ECV. I was especially concerned about fantasyland. We will be spending lots of time there because 2.5 yo DGD is with us, and it’s stroller insanity in that central area. I will have to get used to asking CM’s for help, something I just don’t do on a normal basis. I’m a very independent, “take care of things on my own”, kind of person. This will be a very different trip and an excellent learning opportunity.
as for taking a space that someone else needs at First Aid if that person is in that bad of shape they are going to be transferred to a hospital not staying at First Aid. also remember that the restrooms you call "family" are handicapped restrooms and the toilet is higher than a normal toilet I say this as that could be a problem with a 2.5 year old and the wait for one of those could that some time if in a hurry. cant remember if anyone has said this but remember when leaving scooter is the sun fold the back of seat down so seat is not as hot when you return. you might want to consider brining a bath towel to sit on as seats seem to hold heat. also if you need to use a poncho remember to put back of poncho over back to seat not just down you back which helps keep the rain from puddling on the seat. know it is hard to do but ask CMs every where how scooters are handled there as it is not always the same. remember they are there to help you and you wont be the only scooter they see that day. have a great trip

also remember that the restrooms you call "family" are handicapped restrooms and the toilet is higher than a normal toilet I say this as that could be a problem with a 2.5 year old and the wait for one of those could that some time if in a hurry.

Oops-I thought family restrooms were like the ones at the mall-they usually have a fold down changing table, very low potty and regular commode. I didn’t know that Disney called the handicapped facilities “family”.

cant remember if anyone has said this but remember when leaving scooter is the sun fold the back of seat down so seat is not as hot when you return. you might want to consider brining a bath towel to sit on as seats seem to hold heat. also if you need to use a poncho remember to put back of poncho over back to seat not just down you back which helps keep the rain from puddling on the seat.

Wise advice from an experienced ECV owner, thank you! I noticed those ECV seats are all black. In Florida? Are they kidding? I think I better bring an extra rain poncho for the scooter, too. I was reading on the Gold Mobility website and it said that if the console gets wet, unit will cease to operate. My biggest fear. Maybe a rubber band or two to hold poncho in place over console.

know it is hard to do but ask CMs every where how scooters are handled there as it is not always the same. remember they are there to help you and you wont be the only scooter they see that day. have a great trip

Yep. We never went with kids in strollers (no money way back when) so we’re stroller newbies and ECV newbies. We will definitely be depending on CM’s everywhere for guidance. Thank you!

Oops-I thought family restrooms were like the ones at the mall-they usually have a fold down changing table, very low potty and regular commode. I didn’t know that Disney called the handicapped facilities “family”.

Disney refers to their single restrooms as “companion” restrooms, not “family.” They are intended for individuals who need assistance but are available to anyone. However, due to the nature of some people’s needs it can be a longer wait then the regular restrooms.

Enjoy your vacation!

Standard seat color. They're not kidding. No legitimate reason to add thevexpense of customized seat colors.
Yep, even in California they can get hot, really. And black is much easier to clean without leaving obvious stains should something go wrong.

Disney refers to their single restrooms as “companion” restrooms, not “family.” They are intended for individuals who need assistance but are available to anyone. However, due to the nature of some people’s needs it can be a longer wait then the regular restrooms.

Enjoy your vacation!
Yep, although I have had occasion where it was an emergency and that was the only one available, so I used it, but I try not to take long when something like that happens.

Wise advice from an experienced ECV owner, thank you! I noticed those ECV seats are all black. In Florida? Are they kidding? I think I better bring an extra rain poncho for the scooter, too. I was reading on the Gold Mobility website and it said that if the console gets wet, unit will cease to operate. My biggest fear. Maybe a rubber band or two to hold poncho in place over console.

Yep. We never went with kids in strollers (no money way back when) so we’re stroller newbies and ECV newbies. We will definitely be depending on CM’s everywhere for guidance. Thank you!
I have used a different company rental but a shower cap over controls was what they had us use and have friends who do that with their own scooter. Disney doesn't call them family restrooms but a lot of people call them that thinking like you do. to hole poncho in place I would think clothes pins or large clips more than rubber bands

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter