Disneyworld vs. Land!?!

Well, Youll need to go from May - Sept. To enjoy the ocean...kinda cool other times. The Pacific is a cold ocean..but you get used to it. El Porto at Manhattan beach is one of Southern California BEST beach. (its right below El Segundo) which is right by LAX. Especially for swimming and large waves. Disneyland Resort...is just simply better than WDW. IMHO....Its Disney at its best, so you will love it!! There is ALOT of great things to see and do in L.A. (i lived there 5 years in the Air Force.) I miss SoCal.
Staying off property is common there. Literally hundreds of great places. On site..is basically only Deluxe. IMHO, Disneyland hotel is best but its $$$.
Just do some pricing online but i highly recommend. DLR. We always stay at a hotel on Harbor Blvd. 3 minutes and you are parking at DLR.
We also love WDW..but once you goto DL...you hare hooked. When we only do disney...we goto WDW when we also want to do the beach and touring scene....we goto California and DLR for at least 4 days.
You WILL need 3 full days minimum to see both parks. 2 for DL and 1 C.A...then maybe one more..for anything you missed.
If Disney lovers have never been too DL...then they are missing not only the original..but the essence of Disney. Its just Disneys best park. Period,
Ive been to DL 4x WDW 11x and my son lives in LA, DL is great, but the 2 experiences are so different! Ive been in the firehouse in DL and am the BIGGEST Walt fan, but DL doesnt have "the bubble" effect WDW does. Tons of locals and the CMs are not as friendly imho as WDW, but I love so many things about it, except Snow White's castle, which Walt wanted bigger....the gulf side of FL is warmer and more scenic than the Atlantic side. Drive the 90 minutes to St.Pete Beach...the Pacific is ALWAYS cold, I feel. Im not a fan of LA, but there is stuff to do there. Its not Chicago or NY, but its ok. I'd personally do WDW, for AK alone, its amazing! But I do loves me some DL!!!

Looking at booking a trip with our kiddos ..they will be 8 and 5 when we go..both do not go on big rides yet really. Would love the option to hit up a beach because they have never been to the ocean either. Was thinking of actually staying near or on beach and going to Disney for a day or 2 ..not sure yet. Thinking of going in February. Would either place be warm enough to swim in ocean at that time? We really want them to feel the magic of Disney before they get much older so that part is important too. We have just started taking about this and are in the very beginning stages and feel a bit lost ! Any tips are helpful!! We would like to say we have some sort of a budget ..so we also don’t want to go the Most expensive route but also not the cheapest if that makes sense. We have no idea how much it will cost so any info there is helpful too. Thanks
In February, you'd do better at the Gulf beaches than ones on the Pacific weather wise. 74 vs 70. It's just a tad bit warmer in Tampa during that month than Los Angeles (74 vs 70 average high) and the water is abut 69 at St. Pete vs 58 or so at Newport Beach +- 5 or so. Temps are slightly warmer closer to shore. For a long swim, it's pretty much wet suit time out west but if you just want to do a little playing in the water it's a bit cold but manageable. Still, you might run into weather in both places that pretty much locks out the beach and Florida has had quite a few problems with their beaches in the past couple of years. And for a shorter stay, Disneyland blows the doors off of WDW. It is only over longer trips that WDW's advantages show. Also Disneyland is closer to the beaches than is WDW.
Note that I haven't taken into account travel cost because I don't know where you're coming from. For a 3-5 day first time for the kiddos trip. Disneyland hands down. For a longer stay, say 7-10 days WDW.

If you can only devote two days, I might go with Disneyland. I LOVE Disney world, and to be honest, I don't care for Disneyland at all. I would always vote Disney world over Disneyland...but 2 days just not enough time for Disney world. As far as the beach....the Pacific ocean is way to cold for me to venture into even in summer months. We do Florida beaches almost anytime of the year though. If it were me, I would do 5-6 days Disney world then hop up to Cocoa Beach or Daytona...or over to Clearwater for 2-3 more days.
As far as costs, it will depend on if you stay on site. You can stay at a Disney springs hotel and at least still get the 60 days Fast pass plus benefit, with lower nightly costs. However some charge for parking, and they don't offer magical express from the airport as on site resorts do. Are you flying or driving? Wait until a deal is released, go at a slow time( check crowd calendars), both will save you money. Hope you all have a magical first trip!!!!

It looks like 3 day passes with run us 2 grand just in passes alone. Wow!!! Definently can not afford much more than 2 days. How do people afford Disney ? We are open to driving but then have to plan for more time as we live in Midwest. Flight and hotel are 3 grand minimum to stay at WDW.

If you can only devote two days, I might go with Disneyland. I LOVE Disney world, and to be honest, I don't care for Disneyland at all. I would always vote Disney world over Disneyland...but 2 days just not enough time for Disney world. As far as the beach....the Pacific ocean is way to cold for me to venture into even in summer months. We do Florida beaches almost anytime of the year though. If it were me, I would do 5-6 days Disney world then hop up to Cocoa Beach or Daytona...or over to Clearwater for 2-3 more days.
As far as costs, it will depend on if you stay on site. You can stay at a Disney springs hotel and at least still get the 60 days Fast pass plus benefit, with lower nightly costs. However some charge for parking, and they don't offer magical express from the airport as on site resorts do. Are you flying or driving? Wait until a deal is released, go at a slow time( check crowd calendars), both will save you money. Hope you all have a magical first trip!!!!
Yes we are leaning towards Florida..May wait until April or June. I don’t know what the 60
Days fast pass is. I’m brand new to all of this and talking with a travel agent but she sent me 4 hotel options at Disney or universal. We are open to driving but it’s like 20 hours.

Yes we are leaning towards Florida..May wait until April or June. I don’t know what the 60
Days fast pass is. I’m brand new to all of this and talking with a travel agent but she sent me 4 hotel options at Disney or universal. We are open to driving but it’s like 20 hours.
I am sure you will find out the ins and outs of the fast pass system...but basically if you stay on site or a Disney springs hotel you get an advantage by booking your fast passes at 60 days before arrival. All off-site hotels are only at 30 days. You normally miss out on popular attractions especially during busy times. I would normally suggest o site, but if you all are only doing a couple of park days...maybe try to rent a condo nearer to the beach for a week and just drive over 2 mornings at rope drop( park opening.) This will be way more coat effective. Pack some lunches and snacks in a soft type bag cooler and lots of drinks, so you don't have to buy in park. Have a great trip!

It looks like 3 day passes with run us 2 grand just in passes alone. Wow!!! Definently can not afford much more than 2 days. How do people afford Disney ? We are open to driving but then have to plan for more time as we live in Midwest. Flight and hotel are 3 grand minimum to stay at WDW.

Park tickets for adults range up to $160/$170/1 day. $548/4 days, and just $568/8 days. That's why I cannot stomach paying for 1 to 3 day tickets. MUCH more reasonable IMO to get 10 day tickets. Cost per day is way less. And we get entertained from morning to night.

If you wait til June, Florida will be way too hot and humid. That's one of the reasons we like Disneyland -- the weather is dryer and usually cooler.

If you go to WDW or DLR in April, it will be less crowded, assuming you can avoid spring break.

It's the crazy FP/restaurant reservation system that keeps me away from WDW. It sounds so awful, I would rather go to Universal! DL is so easy-going and fun. At most, I may make a dining reservation if it's important to me. I know I can show up any random day and eat what I want, and ride what I want...several times!

I think Disneyland is a great way to introduce your kids to Disney magic without it being too overwhelming for any of you, or your pockets!

The great thing about Disneyland is that it doesn't require the intensive planning that Disney World can, and you can do things a bit more on the fly. Because of this, it's also easy to do both parks in a two days (I usually go for just one!). Disneyland is also closer to the ocean, though as others say, it probably wouldn't be swimmable. You might get warm enough temps to enjoy a day at the beach and stick in your toes, though! I'd recommend Huntington Beach, which has a fun surf town and is pretty close to Anaheim.

The other great thing about going to Disneyland first is you're never disappointed in the castle size. Sleeping Beauty Castle is big and beautiful but many people who start with WDW are always disappointed in the size of the Sleeping Beauty Castle, because Cinderella Castle is so massive. :)

I just visited Disneyland for the first time a few weeks ago and while I loved so much about it I still think Disney World is my favorite. There's so much to love about Disneyland...the history, the ease of saving money by staying off property and still being in walking distance to the parks, the fact that both parks are right across from each other is a park hoppers dream, a lot of the rides are better than their counterparts in Disney World (in my opinion) and at times I think Disneyland's fastpass/maxpass system can be better than Disney World's fastpass if you know how to use it right. There's just still some things about Disney World that has us absolutely hooked. Things just feel so much larger than life there, all 4 parks are incredible, Epcot's World Showcase is such a unique place to be and just in general we feel more cut off from the real world when we are at Disney World. Can't wait to go back to Disneyland though! It's just I think Disney World will always be our "home".

You know, this is about word for word my feelings about the two resorts. DLR was amazing and I would love to go back someday. WDW is my home and I love to go back every year. I love the larger than life experience. And since I am a planner, planning is half the fun lol!

The other great thing about going to Disneyland first is you're never disappointed in the castle size. Sleeping Beauty Castle is big and beautiful but many people who start with WDW are always disappointed in the size of the Sleeping Beauty Castle, because Cinderella Castle is so massive. :)
The thing to remember is that at DL, SBC isn't supposed to be the visual focal point -- the Matterhorn is. That's how Disneylanders get our visual bearings -- we look for the Matterhorn. The castle's size makes sense when you step back, look up... and see the Matterhorn's majestic height rising beyond the castle. After all, who ever heard of a castle that was larger than an alp? At WDW, Cinderella's Castle was made to be THE focal point and it shows!

For the OP: If you have any DLR trip planning questions, come on over to the Disneyland (California) forum -- you'll get so much good help there! Ask about budget questions, too.
One advantage to DLR with young children: the parks are more compact than the parks at WDW, so there is less walking to see everything. Our kids didn't really enjoy WDW until they were big enough to handle all the walking needed to cover those parks because they were so used to DLR's smaller size. Getting from ride to ride is pretty easy at DLR. Getting from park to park is like crossing the length of a football field -- makes park hopping a breeze.
For February: keep in mind that non-peak season ≠ low crowds at DLR! Exception to this is if the weather is very cold and wet -- this last Feb. was unusually rainy and cold for Southern California, which kept the crowds down in the parks. But, for those guests who didn't pack appropriate clothing, it wasn't a fun time -- wet and freezing is no way to spend days in the parks. Also, during non-peak season, DLR has shorter hours, lower staffing, rides running at lower capacity (fewer vehicles), more refurbs, less entertainment, nighttime entertainment on weekends only (Fri. Sat., Sun.), etc. So even though crowds might be lower, the parks can feel crowded because the ride lines are still long (fewer ride vehicles means longer lines), restaurant lines are long (less staff to serve and clean tables), restrooms don't get cleaned as often, etc. Non-peak season can be a good time to visit if you are prepared for it, but for those who visit thinking that non-peak is the same as peak season, but with fewer crowds, it can be an unpleasant surprise.

We are WDW vets and just returned from our first DLR trip a few weeks ago. I did a post on it with some WDW comparisons - link is in my signature.

IMO, if you're traveling in February and the beach is important, WDW would be better suited for that. Yes, you will have a longer drive to the beach, but I found the driving easier in Florida. I would recommend Clearwater Beach - it will be about an hour and 45 minute drive, but it's a relatively easy commute and worth the distance once you get there. The beaches are soft and white, never hot on the feet, and the water is the Gulf of Mexico so its clear and warm enough to swim in that time of year. We have been twice before and weather has been in the 80s and great for swimming. As I mentioned, it's the Gulf and not the ocean, but I would agree that swimming in the actual ocean that time of year would be dicey.

I'll also add that we were at DLR the week before Memorial Day in May and we had temperatures in the mid-upper 60s the whole time. I'm told it was unseasonably cool and temps shortly after that were in the 70s. So in February, I would expect cooler temps and cold water there as well.

The thing to remember is that at DL, SBC isn't supposed to be the visual focal point -- the Matterhorn is. That's how Disneylanders get our visual bearings -- we look for the Matterhorn. The castle's size makes sense when you step back, look up... and see the Matterhorn's majestic height rising beyond the castle. After all, who ever heard of a castle that was larger than an alp? At WDW, Cinderella's Castle was made to be THE focal point and it shows!
ITA!! I actually prefer Sleeping Beauty Castle.

While ocean beaches will be further from Disney World than they would be from Disneyland, you will typically have warmer weather in that area of Florida than you would have in southern California.
ITA...we went to DL the end of April [4/24] and were quite surprised by how chilly it was.

Weather for both Florida and California can be pretty irregular - neither are guaranteed good swimming weather in February. Though it does happen - we had great warm beach weather in Southern California in February 2016... but it hasn't been that warm the past few years.

Disneyland has only two parks, verses four at WDW, so it's easier to "conquer" - you could allow 2-3 days for Disneyland and see and do pretty much everything. A little less pre-planning involved, too, because you don't have to make FastPass reservations, or even dining reservations in advance (well, unless you want character dining, signature dining, Blue Bayou, or Lamplight Lounge). The Disneyland on-property hotels are all "deluxe" and priced upwards of $350/night. However, there are lots of "Good Neighbor" hotels which are walking distance from the park which are less expensive per night.

Either WDW or DL, there are many options for different budgets. WDW really requires a bit more time if you want to experience it all - at least 4 days, probably a week. Also, you'll probably want to stay on property at WDW since it is so large - but there are value and moderate resort options for less expensive rates.

we are DLR season pass holders and go to WDW about once a year. 1-3 days I would do DLR, 4 or over do WDW. WDW is great but it is big and can be over whelming.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter