Distance between FOP and baby care center?

kclark9830

DIS Veteran
Hi all, we're heading back to wdw in Sept. There will be 2 adults and 2 kids--a 9 yo and a 2 yo. I'm considering our options regarding FP, FOP, and rider swap.

Granted we are able to get FP for FOP, I'm considering how practical it would be to scan in at the FP entrance and load the rider swap, then let hubby and 9yo ride while I take the 2yo to the baby care center for air conditioning. (I know where it is, but can't think how long the actual walk is.) Then, hubby and 9yo would meet me there when they finish and we would switch out.

We learned last year how long it takes for 2 rides on FOP, and I don't want the little one waiting in the heat all that time.

My other consideration is to just make FOP for 1 adult and 1 kid, then a FP for Navi for the other adult and 2yo. We both want to ride FOP, but we'd be willing to go a different way if the baby care center idea is very impractical.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Hi all, we're heading back to wdw in Sept. There will be 2 adults and 2 kids--a 9 yo and a 2 yo. I'm considering our options regarding FP, FOP, and rider swap.

Granted we are able to get FP for FOP, I'm considering how practical it would be to scan in at the FP entrance and load the rider swap, then let hubby and 9yo ride while I take the 2yo to the baby care center for air conditioning. (I know where it is, but can't think how long the actual walk is.) Then, hubby and 9yo would meet me there when they finish and we would switch out.

We learned last year how long it takes for 2 rides on FOP, and I don't want the little one waiting in the heat all that time.

My other consideration is to just make FOP for 1 adult and 1 kid, then a FP for Navi for the other adult and 2yo. We both want to ride FOP, but we'd be willing to go a different way if the baby care center idea is very impractical.

Thoughts? Thanks!

FWIW, per the map/walking directions in the app, it says 5 mins. Seems pretty doable/not too far away for your plan, from my perspective.

Image_1 2019-02-19_19-01-08.png

FWIW, per the map/walking directions in the app, it says 5 mins. Seems pretty doable/not too far away for your plan, from my perspective.

View attachment 383473

I was so excited because I have a very poor sense of direction and always get lost (especially at AK). Plugged in FEA and Soarin just to see how long it says and according to Disney no routes exist...

My Poor Sense of Direction - 1
Disney IT - 0

Off to check Google maps.

Edit:. Which gave me the 2 min, backstage parking lot to backstage parking lot directions for FEA to TT even though I had walking selected. How disappointing. Back to being lost (at least I don't have to bother interrupting my refreshing :lmao:) and sorry to derail the thread OP.

Last edited:
I’m not 100% sure how the new electronic rider swap works, but you might be able to get FP for FOP for older kid and hubby, and FP for Navi for you and younger kid. You can set up rider swap for FOP and ride Navi while they ride FOP. I think not everyone needs FP to set up rider swap, but I don’t know if you can FP a different ride during the rider swap wait time... might be good to go over to the family forum to see if they have a better idea of how the electronic rider swap works.

I was so excited because I have a very poor sense of direction and always get lost (especially at AK). Plugged in FEA and Soarin just to see how long it says and according to Disney no routes exist...

My Poor Sense of Direction - 1
Disney IT - 0

Off to check Google maps.

Edit:. Which gave me the 2 min, backstage parking lot to backstage parking lot directions for FEA to TT even though I had walking selected. How disappointing. Back to being lost (at least I don't have to bother interrupting my refreshing :lmao:) and sorry to derail the thread OP.
Are you sure you have walking selected? This is what I get:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190220-130722.png
    Screenshot_20190220-130722.png
    104.7 KB · Views: 9
Sorry if I am misunderstanding but if the 3 of you have fastpasses then you dont need rider swap, do you? DW and I went last year with our little one and didnt use rider swap at all because we had fastpasses. One used their fastpass while the other waited with DS and then used their fasstpass after.

Either way, the baby center is right near pizzafari so its most likely around 5 minutes like the PP have said.

I spent the time waiting for my DH in the shop just looking at all the merchandise in Pandora. DD was comfortable and fell asleep in the stroller - she was 19 months old at the time.

Thank you, all! I definitely want to do rider swap for FOP, as it enables my 9yo to ride twice so I don't have to ride alone. Not that I'd mind going alone so much as I'd rather her get to ride with me. So definitely yes on that.

I may consider splitting the 2yo's time. Wait out one ride in the gift shop and the other at the baby care center. I just think he'd be happier being able to get out and play for a few minutes in a kid/play-friendly area. It would keep him from getting crabby, or disturbing everyone around us :tongue:.

Sorry if I am misunderstanding but if the 3 of you have fastpasses then you dont need rider swap, do you? DW and I went last year with our little one and didnt use rider swap at all because we had fastpasses. One used their fastpass while the other waited with DS and then used their fasstpass after.

Either way, the baby center is right near pizzafari so its most likely around 5 minutes like the PP have said.

Couldn't you still get rider swap so the second person doesn't have to ride alone?

I’m not 100% sure how the new electronic rider swap works, but you might be able to get FP for FOP for older kid and hubby, and FP for Navi for you and younger kid. You can set up rider swap for FOP and ride Navi while they ride FOP. I think not everyone needs FP to set up rider swap, but I don’t know if you can FP a different ride during the rider swap wait time... might be good to go over to the family forum to see if they have a better idea of how the electronic rider swap works.

This is what I usually do. Some people have reported that eveyrone needs a FP now and maybe things have changed. If so, I won't be riding FOP next month as this is how I have it booked currently. I book 2 FPs for FoP (Husband and daughter) and two for Navi (myself and my younger daughter- too short for FOP). Then we get a RS and I ride FOP with my oldest too. It has worked every time so far. Our last trip was last July. Even if it doesn't work next month, I would have booked it like this anyway because Navi is one of my three year old's favorite rides. I'm not willing to stand in a super long line for Navi. She can't obviously use her FP by herself.

when we were there over the summer and it was HOT, we took turns taking our 2.5 to the gift shop right next to the ride. There are a variety of kid toys in the back of the store (stuffed animals, etc) so we looked at those for quite a while. Lots of other kids there as well as parents waiting with strollers.

Couldn't you still get rider swap so the second person doesn't have to ride alone?

Is that how it works with a ticketed child? I am not sure to be honest. Our son was 5 months old so we had to ride alone anyway, but I would be interested to know how that works with an older child. Does the child get to ride twice in a row, once with each parent? Seems like something more people would take advantage of to get their kids back to back rides no?

when we were there over the summer and it was HOT, we took turns taking our 2.5 to the gift shop right next to the ride. There are a variety of kid toys in the back of the store (stuffed animals, etc) so we looked at those for quite a while. Lots of other kids there as well as parents waiting with strollers.

Sounds like it probably would be a good option for us, then. Thanks!

Is that how it works with a ticketed child? I am not sure to be honest. Our son was 5 months old so we had to ride alone anyway, but I would be interested to know how that works with an older child. Does the child get to ride twice in a row, once with each parent? Seems like something more people would take advantage of to get their kids back to back rides no?

It's been awhile since we used rider swap, but I believe you can bring 2-3 people with you so it works great for getting kids on again.

We like having the rider swap so that if the FP window expires before group 1 is done, the 2nd group with FP still has time to ride. Without rider swap, your FP window could expire and the 2nd group waiting with the small child would be out of luck and unable to use their FP. FoP can take some time to go through, so having that extra time can be very important to ensure the people waiting still get to ride. Rider swap allows you to arrive toward the end of your FP window but gives time enough for everyone to ride.

And yes, it’s also so that the person waiting doesn’t have to ride alone.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!