Diversity on the DIS?

truescorp

Mouseketeer
Diversity on the DIS?
Hello fellow Disney addicts! I have been a poster on and off for a year, and now consider myself an addict. Please take my post in the inquisitive spirit in which it is written, and don't blast me or label me a separtist(sp?). I am a 32yr old African American married mom of 2 and I just want to know if there are any other Dis'ers of color out there? I dont see in the pictures I have seen on this board, and when we go to Disney, I notice there is not representation there either. I know there are definitely people of all nationalities that love Disney and I am just wondering if any frequent this board!!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

You may want to try asking this on the Community Board. You may get a lot more responses over there.

HI Truescorp! Yes, there's diversity here. I'm new to the board. Going to WDW for the first time with my kids soon. We've been to Disneyland, but never to the Magic Kingdom.

I'm a 39-year-old African American mom of 2 and we're leaving on the day after Christmas.

Feel free to write to me at boomer1961@aol.com:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Your inquiry interests me because every time I travel to the parks (100+ times now) I am dismayed at the lack of diversity at the parks. The percentage of African American guests does not seem to correspond to anything close to the percentage of African Americans in the country.

Do you think Disney markets to non-minorities? I've also noticed that commericals seldom feature persons of color. I'm sure this is intentional -- but why?

I don't think Disney is an intentionally racist company (I sure hope not) -- but, its impossible not to notice the lack of diversity.

Any thoughts?

(This probably belongs on the Community Forum Board....Sorry.)

I know what you mean-Julie. I have noticed some minorities on the commercials, but my husband seems to think not. He also said he thought in the parks, at the shows that they seemed not to pick the few minorities there to be volunteers. I dont know. I love Disney so much, at this point it wouldnt matter, but it is disheartening to see my love not shared by others. Or maybe they dont target minorities in the advertising. Maybe we could get a Disney rep on the board to respond?

I am African American as well (early 40s) and my daughter is 8. I've seen the occaisional ad with African-American subjects, but I don't find the theme parks to be particularly diverse. The entertainment industry, as a rule, has long way to go in terms of diversity.

We were at the Disney Store yesterday. I got tired of waiting for my family, so I stood by the entryway and watched the little TV that was there. It was a beautiful commercial about an African American Father and Son. The little boy was helping his Dad pack for a business trip to Japan. The little boy was playing on his Daddy's bed with a Pooh stuffed animal. Then Dad was shown after arriving in Japan and showing up for a business meeting. He felt uneasy in the unfamiliar surroundings and all the women wearing traditional Japanese robes (I don't remember the correct word.) As Dad waits for the meeting, he opens his brief case and sees that his little boy has packed Winnie the Pooh. He is overwhelmed and hugs the bear. It was one of the most precious commercials I've ever seen.
I feel that Disney does an excellent job, and that we shouldn't be so quick to try to find fault. It's hard to make every group of people happy all the time. I cannot imagine any race of people feeling unwelcome at Disney. You can tell that by all the languages you hear while waiting in line. Maybe Disney just doesn't appeal as much to certain groups. You can't force people to come to Disney. I guess I've never really thought about it much. I just know everyone who's there is there to have a good time. It doesn't matter what color or faith they are. Everybody's welcome at Disney. Just my 2 cents! Well maybe 10 cents!:)

African American family. DH and I are 38, DS is 5 (almost 6). We, too, noticed there were not a
lot of "us" at the world when we went. Even fewer on the cruise. But, more importantly, it didn't matter.
We met some wonderful people from Texas, NY, Boston (by way of Japan) and had a great time!

Our first trip was last year and we're going again for the 7 day land/sea in about two weeks! This
board has been a tremendous help!

For what it is worth, I'm a lawyer and I do a lot of EEO/AA work. So, I'm always looking at things with a
critical eye, but I have no criticisms of Disney.

I'm not a diverse race (white, middle aged mom and housewife) but I do have a multicultural collection of friends as do my children. My best friend is black and her little girl and my son have announced they are going to marry each other when they grow up (both 3 yo's) So I am more aware (I presume) than other people in my same age/race/societal group about the diversity in this country. On our trips to WDW we have met with people from all over the globe, but have noticed a "lacking" (for lack of a better word) of diversity from our own country. My children have chatted with people from India, Africa, Russia, Peru, etc, yet when I take a look around at WDW it is very "white" I'm fairly "color blind" in that I don't notice people as being "black, white, red, yellow" when I meet them. We take WDW in a slow relaxing pace and sometimes we just sit on a bench eating ice cream and people watch. This is when I notice the lack of color.

I'm not sure what can be done to increase the "color" at WDW. I think alot of people feel that it is a "rich white man's" vacation spot. I recently talked my hair dresser (black) into taking her honeymoon there. They loved it and are planning on going back next year! When people tell me that they can't afford it, I tell them how I afforded a family of 5 to Disney for 5 days (7 night's hotel) for $1500 (including food and souveniors!)

Anyway, I, too have always wondered who "makes up" these boards. Half the time it seems I'm even wrong about gender!

:earsgirl:

catwho,
I think you're really on to something about the cost being part of the reason there are fewer African Americans at theme parks. $200 for a family of 4 just to walk in the door is pretty steep for entertainment. I love theme parks (even though DH is not excited). But if we hadn't found such great airfare, I'd be at home for my birthday this year instead of Orlando.

Tell me how you made your trip so affordable.:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :jester:

Our biggest savings is that we can drive. It is a 9 hour drive, but doable. So we are talking $100 in gas vs. $100's in airfare. We stayed off-site last time, but are staying onsite for the same price this year (All - Stars) We are only able to do that as my parents are also going and the girls are going to sleep in their room. But still with discounts we would only be running $120 extra to stay at POR. We don't eat big meals each day. One "big" meal each trip. (This time CP for breakfast) and we eat frugally. We found that we could feed all the kids off one of the Mickey Pizzas, so 1 Mickey pizza and two adult entrees is enough to feed a family of five (with something left over usually) We took our own water into the park as I become dehydrated easily. We would lug in 6 liters of water and still end up refilling them at the water fountains. We also don't go hog wild on souveniors as we go every year. Usually whoever has grown out of their shirts from the year before gets one (or whoever has had their shirt washed and dried with a red crayon :o ) And we have set things we collect (pins, sterling charms, snowglobes, toy cars, and Eeyore things) so we stay focused when we go into the shops. So we basically budget $100 or so a day for food and $50 a person for souveniors.

I think if we didn't live within driving distance and it wasn't our yearly vacation I would probably spend more as we would go less and want to make it something bigger.

:earsgirl:

Checking out the discounts and using as many as we can.

Planning only one or two Character Meals.

Mostly eating at counter service and food court.

Setting a limit on souvenier spending.

Eating breakfast in our room.

This year we are driving but I don't think it's saving us too much money, my hubby won't fly.

Not carrying a lot of cash, either leave it in the safe or use MAC when you need to. Then you have to think about it before you spend.

Sharing meals.

I think the promotional videos they send out make a definite effort in the direction of diversity. Whether or not the precise proportion of 12% African American is met I can't say, but it seems to be reasonable.

Let's remember that "diversity" means more than just African Americans. Disney employes quite a variety of people of different nationalities and ethnic origins both at WDW and on cruise ships, even when it isn't part of a theme.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter