DIY 'Mickey' ears..

That's why we started now for October! I also have my daughter and granddaughter helping. My bows are simple and some are store bought. The toy story and princess ones have embellishments. The others are very simple. We saw so many diy ears at the parks 2 years ago it made us want to make some. Do you have pictures of yours? I would love to see them.

Smart move! I saw so many cute ones when we were there last August, so as soon as we booked our May trip I started gathering ideas/ supplies. I also bought plain ears, I didn’t make the ear part “from scratch” to save time.

I only have pictures of this pair so far but I want to take pictures of the other 2 that are done tonight.
These are for Epcot Flower & Garden. I’d love opinions.
C2872123-F6F6-4478-8BBA-24B6B3F12B88.jpeg

These are great! I just finished up three pairs. One used gold fabric (and no bow), the second is silver ears with a rainbow sequin bow, and the last is a set of wire ears with fake flowers. The fabric ones cost around $8 each to make, and the fake flower and wire one was around $15. Of course, I have extra fabric, flowers, wire, and stuffing now. I’ll try to remember to post photos later. :)

I’m making ears with my DD - burned myself badly with glue gun trying to close bottom (sewed the rest) - going to try to sew bottom instead.

Anyway do you all use 1 inch headbands? I need to find them more affordably than the craft store!

Anyway do you all use 1 inch headbands? I need to find them more affordably than the craft store!
I used 3/4 inch headbands. For some reason, the craft stores near me didn’t carry one inch. I paid $1.50 each with a coupon from Michael’s, though I noticed similar ones (and more colors) at Joann Fabric.

For some reason, the ones at our supermarket were more expensive or more elaborate than the craft store ones, but you may have better luck.

Wow, I love them all! Do you guys have any tips or tutorials in particular you use?
In no particular order:

1. Some tutorials mentioned adding a velvet ribbon along the inside of the headband. DO IT. The headbands weren’t uncomfortable before I added it, but I feel like the ribbon helped them anchor in place more.

2. I used the template for ear size from Sierra Schultzzie’s YouTube video, “DIY Minnie & Mickey Mouse Ears.” My first fabric pair I tried based on a slightly smaller template, and they didn’t look quite larger enough. My next was from Sierra’s, and I like them a lot more. (So much so I re-did the first pair.)

3. I actually had an easier time with the sequin fabric than the non-sequin fabric in making them rounded. I think it was partly my lack of experience, but also the sequin fabric could “stretch” more.

4. For the bow, I used a bit of felt and followed Kelly Jennette’s “Rose Gold Minnie Ears” YouTube tutorial. I found that the sequin fabric I used combined with the felt was pretty stiff and hard to shape, so I made sure to cut off excess fabric from folding in the back. I basically ended up with two layers of sequin fabric on the back, and they overlapped to make four layers at the bow pinch point, so I cut off extra to make it one-two layers and easier to pinch into a bow.

5. Put the headband on and mark where you want the ears to sit. It may look like they’re too far away from each other when you’re glueing them and not wearing the headband. They’re probably fine. Once you put the headband on, they get pushed together.

I’m making ears with my DD - burned myself badly with glue gun trying to close bottom (sewed the rest) - going to try to sew bottom instead.

We sewed ours too for same reason. And ours came out neater as the glue kept showing. We also used 3/4 and 1" plastic headbands from a dollar store (set of 2 for $1) and covered them with fabric which we sewed as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!