DL and skiing in one trip - recommendations?

PxyShan

Mouseketeer
Hello,
We're looking into if we can do a Disneyland trip in February. We are also big downhill skiers and we're wondering if we can split our time in CA between Disneyland Resort and a ski resort.
Anyone have any recommendations on the best hill near LA? I see Bear Mountain, Snow Summit, and Mountain High are the closest. Any preferences out there?

Background: we are from MN, so most any mountain skiing would be better than the hills we have here. We'll have our 5 year old (who can ski on his own down local blues no problem) and a two year old (who will be on trainers), so we won't be out for more than a day or two.
TIA!

I like Big Bear. However, it can be difficult or impossible to travel to if there is a winter storm happening. We are locals to DL and my husband had three ski trips that ended up not happening this winter because of road closures near Big Bear and Mammoth.

Have an alternate plan if you decide to try this.

Big Bear is better than Mountain High, and of those Snow Summit is our favorite. We had the best snow in years this past winter, so hopefully it will be equally good for you. Most years we don't get the best snowfall. As long as you're not expecting amazing conditions you'll have a great time, but if you want guaranteed memorable skiiing (don't know how much time you have or if it's feasible) Mammoth, Tahoe or even Park City are great and not too far!

I also regularly go to snow summit. But if there is a storm I go to Mtn High. I've been stuck in 7 hour traffic to big bear/mtn high when everyone wants to see the snow and they have chain restrictions(and 75% of the non regulars don't bring chains). After skiing/boarding we eat at Teddy Bear restaurant. Great food/pie.

I like Big Bear. However, it can be difficult or impossible to travel to if there is a winter storm happening. We are locals to DL and my husband had three ski trips that ended up not happening this winter because of road closures near Big Bear and Mammoth.

Have an alternate plan if you decide to try this.
That's a good point. We get our fair share of winter storms in MN, however I don't mess around with snow and mountain driving; especially on vacation.

Big Bear is better than Mountain High, and of those Snow Summit is our favorite. We had the best snow in years this past winter, so hopefully it will be equally good for you. Most years we don't get the best snowfall. As long as you're not expecting amazing conditions you'll have a great time, but if you want guaranteed memorable skiiing (don't know how much time you have or if it's feasible) Mammoth, Tahoe or even Park City are great and not too far!
Awesome insight! We're used to skiing on MN snow, which can be essentially ice some days, so I'm hoping we'll have better snow than that, but you just never know what conditions you're going to get on the hill! maybe we should invest the time; Tahoe or Park City would be amazing!

I also regularly go to snow summit. But if there is a storm I go to Mtn High. I've been stuck in 7 hour traffic to big bear/mtn high when everyone wants to see the snow and they have chain restrictions(and 75% of the non regulars don't bring chains). After skiing/boarding we eat at Teddy Bear restaurant. Great food/pie.
Nice! Thank you for the recommendation. Yeah, if there's a storm we'll have a backup plan. I do NOT want to mess around with a storm in the mountains.

That's a good point. We get our fair share of winter storms in MN, however I don't mess around with snow and mountain driving; especially on vacation.

Awesome insight! We're used to skiing on MN snow, which can be essentially ice some days, so I'm hoping we'll have better snow than that, but you just never know what conditions you're going to get on the hill! maybe we should invest the time; Tahoe or Park City would be amazing!

Nice! Thank you for the recommendation. Yeah, if there's a storm we'll have a backup plan. I do NOT want to mess around with a storm in the mountains.

That's kind of an inherent risk of being in the mountains. Freak storms can be brutal. They've had crazy stuff happen in Yosemite, like a sudden snowstorm in October. That's also a fairly popular time for climbing, as the weather is typically better than summer, and less water is needed. There was a married Japanese couple that died together climbing El Capitan when the cold weather hit.

If you're driving, I don't think it's so bad. They might make you put on chains, and you'll have no issues finding any. The main concern would be if your rental car agency allows them, since not all do. Also - most sellers won't accept returns. The only one I know that does is AutoZone. I bought a set of chains in Tahoe once but didn't need them. I ended up returning them for a full refund closer to home.

Closer choice: Big Bear
Farther choices: Mammoth and Tahoe

But with a 5yo and a 2yo, it may be hard to take away days from DLR! How about beach days as a back up plan? :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!