DL & DCA -Disability Access Service Card- Post 1 update 12/7/14 DAS tied to ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to talk about how you would change the Disney system, please start a new thread.

People are complaining to me that all this discussion about how some people would change the DAS is confusing to them when they are trying to figure out how it IS operating.

Any further suggestions about how people think Disney should change it that are posted this thread will be deleted.

In all fairness you keep saying we are not allowed to start a thread about our opinions on how we would rather it worked!
I won't respond on this thread again!
SORRY

I have been very keenly reading this thread so thank you all! I think I am getting the facts now! I think ( I hope ) I just realised the bit I was missing filled in by the helpful example by pp and the Pirates as first ride. Let me see if my understanding is correct.. If I have a DAS when I go to my first ride the CM writes down the wait time in my card but I ride the ride straight away? It's there after I wait for the next ride as if I have waited in line for the first ride? The process repeats through the day? I thought you get to the first ride then have to kick your heels and wait the wait time until you can ride it. I hope my understanding of the facts are correct.
No, that is the prior poster's SUGGESTION of a DIFFERENT way for Disney to handle guests with disabilities.

That is I have asked the thread to get back to HOW it works, not how people would change it. I was getting PMs from people asking the same question and asking why I had not changed post 1 because they thought the SUGGESTIONS were how it IS working.

This is how DAS works:

Only 1 (one) Return Time can be written on the DAS at a time, which puts the DAS holder into a virtual 'standby queue'.
- Just like a guest actually standing in a standby queue, the DAS holder can't be in multiple standby queues at the same time.
- Just like a guest actually standing in a standby queue, the DAS holder can also get Fastpasses using the Fastpass System.
Once the Return Time has arrived, the DAS holder and their group go to the Fastpass or alternate entrance to redeem the Return TIme
- just like Fastpass, you won't be able to come earlier than the Return TIme
- CM will check the Return Time, look at picture on the DAS card and confirm that the DAS holder is going to ride/experience the attraction
- the Return TIme will remain active until it is used (you won't lose your spot if late
When a Return Time has been redeemed, it is crossed off and is no longer active.
- crossing off a Return Time also voids or cancels it and is the same as getting out of line
- when a DAS Holder has no active Return Times to redeem, they can get a new Return TIme
- a DAS holder can choose to cancel a DAS Return TIme
If an attraction is broken or not in operation, there is no current standby time and the DAS holder will not be able to get a Return Time.
UNCONFIRMED RUMOR, PROBABLY TRUE: If the DAS holder returns to an attraction and it is broken or not operating:
- a Fastpass to come back later will be given
- the DAS Return Time will be cleared, allowing the DAS holder to get another Return TIme
DAS holders will not be able to use DAS for Celebrity Autographs or most Character Meet & Greets (this is consistent with the way GACs worked)
DAS holders will be able to get Return Times for Character Meet & Greets that have Fastpass or Fastpass Plus

No, that is the prior poster's SUGGESTION of a DIFFERENT way for Disney to handle guests with disabilities. That is I have asked the thread to get back to HOW it works, not how people would change it. I was getting PMs from people asking the same question and asking why I had not changed post 1 because they thought the SUGGESTIONS were how it IS working. This is how DAS works: Only 1 (one) Return Time can be written on the DAS at a time, which puts the DAS holder into a virtual 'standby queue'. - Just like a guest actually standing in a standby queue, the DAS holder can't be in multiple standby queues at the same time. - Just like a guest actually standing in a standby queue, the DAS holder can also get Fastpasses using the Fastpass System. Once the Return Time has arrived, the DAS holder and their group go to the Fastpass or alternate entrance to redeem the Return TIme - just like Fastpass, you won't be able to come earlier than the Return TIme - CM will check the Return Time, look at picture on the DAS card and confirm that the DAS holder is going to ride/experience the attraction - the Return TIme will remain active until it is used (you won't lose your spot if late When a Return Time has been redeemed, it is crossed off and is no longer active. - crossing off a Return Time also voids or cancels it and is the same as getting out of line - when a DAS Holder has no active Return Times to redeem, they can get a new Return TIme - a DAS holder can choose to cancel a DAS Return TIme If an attraction is broken or not in operation, there is no current standby time and the DAS holder will not be able to get a Return Time. UNCONFIRMED RUMOR, PROBABLY TRUE: If the DAS holder returns to an attraction and it is broken or not operating: - a Fastpass to come back later will be given - the DAS Return Time will be cleared, allowing the DAS holder to get another Return TIme DAS holders will not be able to use DAS for Celebrity Autographs or most Character Meet & Greets (this is consistent with the way GACs worked) DAS holders will be able to get Return Times for Character Meet & Greets that have Fastpass or Fastpass Plus
oh I see I am so sorry Sue I didn't realise it was a suggestion. Please accept my apologise.

I am sitting in room after our first day - spent entirely at DL. I wanted to let everyone know that the high staffing levels of rollout are gone. After being so frustrated numerous times at rides because we couldn't figure out what to do or where to go, I said something at the kiosk. The CM told me that they had tons of extra workers last week but now it was just normal staff levels. I'm spoiled by disneyworld where there are cast members all over. So my tip is to ask for the return location of the ride when you get a return time.

Besides that, it worked okay for us. For sure did less than we would have with GAC, had one major meltdown, and there is no doubt that you actually wait longer... But it did work for us. We'll be here another 3 days if anyone has a specific question.

Oh I also asked about the getting a second return time if you are about to go on one and there's a long long wait... That was a no go. Just one at a time.

I am sitting in room after our first day - spent entirely at DL. I wanted to let everyone know that the high staffing levels of rollout are gone. After being so frustrated numerous times at rides because we couldn't figure out what to do or where to go, I said something at the kiosk. The CM told me that they had tons of extra workers last week but now it was just normal staff levels. I'm spoiled by disneyworld where there are cast members all over. So my tip is to ask for the return location of the ride when you get a return time.

Besides that, it worked okay for us. For sure did less than we would have with GAC, had one major meltdown, and there is no doubt that you actually wait longer... But it did work for us. We'll be here another 3 days if anyone has a specific question.

Oh I also asked about the getting a second return time if you are about to go on one and there's a long long wait... That was a no go. Just one at a time.

There is usually a CM always at the entrance or exit of every ride and they should know where to direct you. If able-bodied and there is a FP line, it's usually to that. If there isn't, it's usually the exit. Hope the rest of your stay is better! We just drove home yesterday and looking forward to our trip in another 2 months! I hope the December crowds are lighter and we'll definately hit rope drop to avoid excessive waits!

If you need accessibility for a chair, I believe city hall has a printed guide of where to go for each ride.

There is usually a CM always at the entrance or exit of every ride and they should know where to direct you. If able-bodied and there is a FP line, it's usually to that. If there isn't, it's usually the exit. Hope the rest of your stay is better! We just drove home yesterday and looking forward to our trip in another 2 months! I hope the December crowds are lighter and we'll definately hit rope drop to avoid excessive waits!

If you need accessibility for a chair, I believe city hall has a printed guide of where to go for each ride.

Our issue with this is we have no idea where the exits are! It's kinda funny to watch us roam around but seriously the exits aren't on the map anywhere.

It was so crowded yesterday. I'm looking forward to tomorrow when it's suppose to lighten way up. We're doing dCA today for the first time ever!!! So excited!

IndianaPrincess said:
Our issue with this is we have no idea where the exits are! It's kinda funny to watch us roam around but seriously the exits aren't on the map anywhere.

It was so crowded yesterday. I'm looking forward to tomorrow when it's suppose to lighten way up. We're doing dCA today for the first time ever!!! So excited!

The guidebook for guests with disabilities does a pretty good job of describing where the exits are for most attractions, at least it used to.

For those that get a DAS and are in a wheelchair or mobility device like myself as I have additional needs outside my mobility why I cannot stand in line...do you use the DAS card for a return time at the wheelchair entrance of a ride like Great Thunder Mountain or get a return time card? Tia.

Big Thunder Mountain is currently closed for a major rehab and by all accounts will be a mainstreamed queue when it reopens. The DAS is not used at attractions that don't have a mainstream queue. These attractions give out return time cards instead, even to those with DAS cards or so my experience has been so far. Alternatively, you can choose to get a FP where available and not need to get a Return Time card if you show up within the hour Window.

Big Thunder Mountain is currently closed for a major rehab and by all accounts will be a mainstreamed queue when it reopens. The DAS is not used at attractions that don't have a mainstream queue. These attractions give out return time cards instead, even to those with DAS cards or so my experience has been so far. Alternatively, you can choose to get a FP where available and not need to get a Return Time card if you show up within the hour Window.
thank you. I just realised this is DL thread sorry! I meant at WDW but I guess the same would apply!

You can definitely get a DAS time for any attraction with a wait of over 10 (or sometimes 15) minutes. I have received times for queues that are mainstreamed and ones that are not.

If you have a DAS and a wheelchair, then you cannot wait for certain non-mainstreamed attractions (9 of them right now) without getting a return ticket.

For example, I can get a time for Indy (not mainstreamed) but I am not allowed to go to Jungle Cruise while I am waiting - I need to get a wheelchair return time for Jungle Cruise.

As I have said before, the DAS has been okay, but the wheelchair return times are too difficult for those of us going solo in a manual chair. You are not allowed to get a wheelchair return time at kiosks, only a DAS return time. So I wheel to Jungle Cruise, get a time, and then I am told to come back later. Well, I can only push myself around so much, so I end up not going anywhere. And that is happening more and more - there is a group of people with chairs who are waiting for their time. And rarely is there enough room for us.

This is one of many issues Disneyland must resolve as the system evolves - the wheelchair return time must be fixed!

As I have said before, the DAS has been okay, but the wheelchair return times are too difficult for those of us going solo in a manual chair. You are not allowed to get a wheelchair return time at kiosks, only a DAS return time. So I wheel to Jungle Cruise, get a time, and then I am told to come back later. Well, I can only push myself around so much, so I end up not going anywhere. And that is happening more and more - there is a group of people with chairs who are waiting for their time. And rarely is there enough room for us.

This is one of many issues Disneyland must resolve as the system evolves - the wheelchair return time must be fixed!

Wow, that sounds very frustrating and exhausting.
We are traveling with my daughter, who uses a wheelchair, this weekend. Can you confirm which attractions are handing out the return time cards for wheelchairs?

KPeveler said:
You can definitely get a DAS time for any attraction with a wait of over 10 (or sometimes 15) minutes. I have received times for queues that are mainstreamed and ones that are not.

If you have a DAS and a wheelchair, then you cannot wait for certain non-mainstreamed attractions (9 of them right now) without getting a return ticket.

For example, I can get a time for Indy (not mainstreamed) but I am not allowed to go to Jungle Cruise while I am waiting - I need to get a wheelchair return time for Jungle Cruise.

Hmm, that is not what I was told when I got my DAS, they basically said if the attraction gives out return time cards, you will use that, the DAS was only for the
Attractions that don't have return time cards.

I am also curious what does someone do for jungle Cruise, if they can't do stairs and the line is going up stairs?

Hmm, that is not what I was told when I got my DAS, they basically said if the attraction gives out return time cards, you will use that, the DAS was only for the
Attractions that don't have return time cards.

I am also curious what does someone do for jungle Cruise, if they can't do stairs and the line is going up stairs?

If you cannot do stairs, and the upper level queue is open, you must either get a wheelchair return time (which means going to the ride and then leaving and then coming back) or get a DAS return time.

I have gotten a Das return time for Star Tours (accessible queue to a point), Buzz Lightyear (accessible queue), Space Mountain (non accessible queue), Haunted Mansion (right now, FP queue to a point for wheelchairs), and Peter Pan (non accessible queue)

So they will give a DAS for anything with a wait long enough, because technically DAS trumps the wheelchair return time - that is, a DAS holder would go in as soon as possible, even if there are people with wheelchair return cards waiting. This is because people with the DAS may not be able to tolerate the place where the wheelchair return line is.

As of now, you can hold a DAS and wheelchair return time at the same time (not against the rules). You can also hold more than one wheelchair return time at once (also something they are looking at how to fix).

Wow, that sounds very frustrating and exhausting.
We are traveling with my daughter, who uses a wheelchair, this weekend. Can you confirm which attractions are handing out the return time cards for wheelchairs?

I can only tell you of the 8 I know of, and this may change. I would count on it being the big 9.

Space Mountain
Jungle Cruise
Indiana Jones
Pirates
Haunted Mansion
Splash Mountain
Small World
Peter Pan

I am not sure about any others, though perhaps Roger Rabbit.

I was also told that an able bodied member of the group MAY be allowed to go get a wheelchair return time, so long as the person with the visual cue (you daughter) is there when you return to ride. This was written into the rules for the DAS, but not the wheelchair return tickets - I guess they just did not think of it.

There is no end time on the wheelchair return tickets, so after parades, fireworks, shows, etc, the return line can be quite long - avoid going back at these times.

It is rather annoying, and I expect the system to be changing as they figure out what works and what does not (like I should be able to get a wheelchair return time at a kiosk, rather than needing to wheel all the way to the ride, only to be told to go away).

This system does not exist in DCA as everything is mainstreamed.

Our trip is over. :( The DAS was okay. It was tough but we managed. There was only one time that I was upset and driven to tears. Ill come back later with more of the trip, but my biggest complaint is that the kiosks are too few and far between. My break down point was in front of Goofy's coaster with the heat beating down and thinking about having to go back to the Fantasyland kiosk with that up and down path.

IndianaPrincess said:
Our trip is over. :( The DAS was okay. It was tough but we managed. There was only one time that I was upset and driven to tears. Ill come back later with more of the trip, but my biggest complaint is that the kiosks are too few and far between. My break down point was in front of Goofy's coaster with the heat beating down and thinking about having to go back to the Fantasyland kiosk with that up and down path.
Um, I'm guessing you mean gadgets coaster. Goofy's is in DCA. But this is exactly the attraction that I was thinking was going to be problematic. But I would love to hear more about your actual experiences.

I totally agree, and I think there should be a kiosk in Toontown AND critter country. Both require going under the train tracks, which means a non ADA hill - they are too steep. Yes, there is an attempt made for toontown but it is most often used for stroller parking. If nothing else, attractions in this area should be allowed to give times at the attraction. Because there is no way I can go back and forth from Splash to the kiosk and back just for Winnie the Pooh. What ends up happening is we skip things.

I am working on a very long letter to Disneyland with my experiences. I am going to DCA tomorrow or the day after, since all my experience has been in DL so far, not in DCA. I have heard plenty of stories, but I want personal experience before writing to them.

I am also hoping to get a better email to write to as opposed to just filling out the form online.

The DAS is less the problem I have - it is the fact there are two new system colliding at attractions and they are just plain overwhelmed.

There are several ways to work on this (end times for wheelchair return tickets, so there is a steadier flow, something special for people needing wheelchair vehicles so the attractions people know what is coming, etc)

I would like, eventually, to be able to get a second DAS time after the first DAS time has arrived. This means I will have waited the whole first time, but then I can get a new Return Time if I happen to be passing a cart, rather than doubling back. I would get my return time for Winnie the Pooh AND Splash before going up and down hills in my manual chair. That would allow people who still need to wait for their own reasons (recovering from heat, meltdown, etc) to keep the time they waited on the card.

There are times that I get a time for Space Mountain, but something happens that when my time arrives, I am not able to ride right then. Maybe my stomach is giving me problems, but I cannot get a time to go on a tamer ride, like Buzz Lightyear without losing all the time I waited for Space Mountain. It is very frustrating.

I know this is off topic, I was just hoping to get some DL goer reaction to this idea. WDW and DL are so different, the system will have to be changed a little to accommodate each park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!