DL & DCA -Disability Access Service Card- Post 1 update 12/7/14 DAS tied to ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.
We arrive at DL on 10/7 and then I'll have to switch to use the DAS system on that first day on 10/9. I hope it goes smoothly.

I had specific stamps on my GAC. How will they handle those?
There will no longer be any stamps; guests with disabilities will either get a DAS or not
Attraction based procedures and accommodations will be set up to handle guests who previously used stamps
The stamps were problematic in several ways
- the stamps were very general; for example guests with visual disabilities might get: Allow Guest to sit in front row
I guess I don't understand how this would be "problematic"

this guest has a very low area of vision. they need to sit up close to see much of anything. they would like to enjoy the show. they know they will not see as mucj as the rest of the people, but would like to see as much as they can.. what is the problem?

we will be touring dlr and DCA for the 1st (and probalby the last) tme next week.. wouldn't you know it? oct 9 falls in the middle of our trip.
no.. we are NOT famiiar with the GAC,we only started to tryi it. the eye disease is degenerative, so only now becoming a major issue. so the 1st part of the trip.. GAC which is new to us, the 2nd half DAS, which I guess, has decided to ignorre stamps for the visually impaired?
sigh.......

as far as navigating the dark, convoluted lines. the DAS would work for us. the problem for us is going back and forth in the dark, bumping into the posts, people walking on our heels cause we are too slow, etc.
now if only Disey would recognize LOW vision (not totally blind). that some people can still see, but not as far..when it concerns shows like illuminations, WOC, fantasmic etc.

I had specific stamps on my GAC. How will they handle those?
There will no longer be any stamps; guests with disabilities will either get a DAS or not
Attraction based procedures and accommodations will be set up to handle guests who previously used stamps
The stamps were problematic in several ways
- the stamps were very general; for example guests with visual disabilities might get: Allow Guest to sit in front row
I guess I don't understand how this would be "problematic"

this guest has a very low area of vision. they need to sit up close to see much of anything. they would like to enjoy the show. they know they will not see as mucj as the rest of the people, but would like to see as much as they can.. what is the problem?

we will be touring dlr and DCA for the 1st (and probalby the last) tme next week.. wouldn't you know it? oct 9 falls in the middle of our trip.
no.. we are NOT famiiar with the GAC,we only started to tryi it. the eye disease is degenerative, so only now becoming a major issue. so the 1st part of the trip.. GAC which is new to us, the 2nd half DAS, which I guess, has decided to ignorre stamps for the visually impaired?
sigh.......

The reason it was often problematic, and I know of two friends who personally had this problem, is that there are often many more things people with vision issues could need. For example, my friend had problems in dark queues, or going from light to dark quickly. But the only stamp they had for all "vision issues" was to let a guest sit in the front row of a theatre. This stamp did nothing about queues, attractions, nothing. And when she went to Guest Relations, it took her explaining a few times before they understood her issues with queues and light and everything... I think that is what Sue meant with "problematic" - not that the person with a vision issue would not need a front row, but that the person may need more than that, but the stamp did nothing for it.

The reason it was often problematic, and I know of two friends who personally had this problem, is that there are often many more things people with vision issues could need. For example, my friend had problems in dark queues, or going from light to dark quickly. But the only stamp they had for all "vision issues" was to let a guest sit in the front row of a theatre. This stamp did nothing about queues, attractions, nothing. And when she went to Guest Relations, it took her explaining a few times before they understood her issues with queues and light and everything... I think that is what Sue meant with "problematic" - not that the person with a vision issue would not need a front row, but that the person may need more than that, but the stamp did nothing for it.

i get it now. well, we once got both stamps. alternate entrance adn sit in front. cause my husband has all those issues you described.(I guess it's ok to mentiont he stamps now?)
the new system, going to the kiosk and getting a return time to use the alternate entrance would work.. so he could avoid trying to navigate the dark, twisty queues, esp after coming in from the light.
but I don't see any accomodations for sitting in the front of shows.

Did I read somewhere that guests using wheelchairs will NOT need the DAS Card? If not, will they just use the alternative entrances as usual, or will they be given different return cards of some sort?

If your needs are met by having a wheelchair, then you will NOT need a DAS card. You will be directed through the wheelchair accessible queue. Sometimes that will be a separate queue going through the exit or another entrance. Sometimes the main queue is accessible. Even in DL, some queues are mainstreamed, or are to a point. For example, Buzz Lightyear is mainstreamed. Star Tours is mainstreamed to a point, and once the queue hits the stairs, wheelchairs are directed to the side.

All queues in DCA are accessible, so people with wheelchairs, scooters, or other mobility needs will be directed to the standard queue. You also have the option of obtaining a Fastpass or using the Single Rider queue (again, these are accessible in DCA).

In Disneyland, I am not sure yet how they will handle people with wheelchairs. While there are very few attractions in all of WDW that are not mainstreamed, almost nothing in Disneyland Park is accessible to wheelchairs.

I would be surprised if all attractions that were not accessible handed out Return Time Cards to people with wheelchairs, if only because there are so many - I would end up with literally a dozen cards at a time. Also, it would make it very confusing for guests with a DAS. Part of the point is to reduce abuse, and if all it took to get a Return Time was to rent a wheelchair... that would be mayhem.

I would not be surprised if the system varied, depending on how crowded the park is. Most of the time, I would expect there to be a standard wheelchair queue, like exists now at Space Mountain. And when a guest with a DAS card Return Time came in (one who could not go through the non-accessible FP line), they would be sent down with the next group of people with wheelchairs to the attraction.

They may hand out return times on peak days or just at big attractions, but in general, I do not find a long line of wheelchairs waiting for Pinocchio.

I have no confirmation that wheelchair Attraction Return Times will be issued in Disneyland yet. I am talking to people in park, but I have not heard anything about this. What I had heard was that wheelchair users and their parties would still be handled as before, which may mean a separate queue. Disneyland may let WDW test these Return Cards first, before applying them to a much larger number of rides needing them in DL.

Again, so much has to wait until Oct 9th, or until we get credible information.

I have read on another board that unlike WDW where each attraction will have someone to mark the DAS, the CA parks will have a few scattered Kiosks Here is what was posted from a CA CM:

"We will use kiosks here; four kiosks to start at Disneyland, three to start at DCA. The card holder does not have to go to the kiosk to get a return time, but the card holder who has the picture on the DAS MUST be at the ride and go with the party on the attraction to use it.

If a parent doesn't want a child's picture taken, the parent can have their photo taken instead. Or, if the photo is declined entirely, CM's at the attractions will need to see photo ID that matches the name on the DAS in order for the DAS to be used at the attraction during the return time."

This system may unfortunately negatively affect some folks who relay on the current GAC and the upcoming DAS. If they do not have an able bodied runner, each ride will necessitate a trip back and forth to Kiosks and then the rides. This is not factoring in the possible line waits at kiosks and line waits again at rides with other DAS and nonDAS users such as individuals in mobility assistance devices. So they will be required to take time and energy to obtain the assistance for the alternative line, then return to the ride and potential run into the same lines as before (particularly for rides like Pirates or It's A Small world) that they have had in the past when they would simply get in line and show the card. I do hope that as they roll out this policy, Disney Company does tweak it (especially in CA). Otherwise it might prove to be too much for users who truly aren't capable of doing so much on top of getting around the parks, causing them to abandon the parks altogether.

I have read on another board that unlike WDW where each attraction will have someone to mark the DAS, the CA parks will have a few scattered Kiosks Here is what was posted from a CA CM:

"We will use kiosks here; four kiosks to start at Disneyland, three to start at DCA. The card holder does not have to go to the kiosk to get a return time, but the card holder who has the picture on the DAS MUST be at the ride and go with the party on the attraction to use it.

If a parent doesn't want a child's picture taken, the parent can have their photo taken instead. Or, if the photo is declined entirely, CM's at the attractions will need to see photo ID that matches the name on the DAS in order for the DAS to be used at the attraction during the return time."

This system may unfortunately negatively affect some folks who relay on the current GAC and the upcoming DAS. If they do not have an able bodied runner, each ride will necessitate a trip back and forth to Kiosks and then the rides. This is not factoring in the possible line waits at kiosks and line waits again at rides with other DAS and nonDAS users such as individuals in mobility assistance devices. So they will be required to take time and energy to obtain the assistance for the alternative line, then return to the ride and potential run into the same lines as before (particularly for rides like Pirates or It's A Small world) that they have had in the past when they would simply get in line and show the card. I do hope that as they roll out this policy, Disney Company does tweak it (especially in CA). Otherwise it might prove to be too much for users who truly aren't capable of doing so much on top of getting around the parks, causing them to abandon the parks altogether.
From what I have been told, that is not quite accurate. In CA, they will have kiosks, but you will also be able to get the return times at the attraction as well. It will be your choice which you wish to do. Additionally, they are supposed to subtract any wait time at the kiosk and a reasonable amount of time for travel to/from the kiosks from the wait time.

I am not saying the system will be perfect, in fact, you can already begin to see the complexity of the system.

That being said, they could potentially place the kiosks strategically to where you get a return time, go on some rides that don't need a return time, then go on the ride that does, then go to the next kiosk to get another time all with little to no backtracking.

I see I posted on the DL thread instead of WDW. Sorry. I deleted.

Disneyland is much smaller, so getting to the kiosk will be easier.

I assume that while there will be a "stand by" accessible line for folks with wheelchairs, etc (Like there is now at Peter Pan, Pirates, Space, etc), that people with a DAS would go to the "front" of the wheelchair line. (Assuming I get a DAS card...) Whether or not I had a wheelchair, rather than waiting in that awful line at Peter Pan or Space (neither of which I can handle most of the time) I will be waiting somewhere safe, and then I will be with the next group of wheelchairs sent down to the ride at Space Mountain. I assume that people who physically can will be sent in the FP entrance of as many rides as possible.

This part is unconfirmed - there may be attraction return time cards given out for people with wheelchairs at the big rides, but that will just result in a queue of folks in wheelchairs who have "waited their turn" who will be very upset if people with a DAS are pulled in ahead. At the same time, the point of the DAS is that some people cannot wait in these queues that would form...

It is going to be complex, and I know there will be a learning curve. The best thing we can do is be patient and polite.

I can see it will definitely be a wait and see for many of us. It would be an interesting idea to have a separate mobile assistance line from a DAS line. Some areas of the park (think fantasyland) there is little room for two separate lines at each ride.

It sounded like they are going to make DAS users use the same alternative lines as before, which would translate to the same line offered wheelchairs at non-accessible lines without needing the DAS. This thread is the first where someone has mentioned that DAS users would be given any priority over wheelchair guests at these lines. It does seem odd that anyone in a wheelchair can simply be redirected to the alternative line without any of the additional wait time that the DAS user must have. Since they are not required to have a DAS as well, then the simple redirect at those rides would be like they still had the old style GAC.

Whew, you are right though, there are many ins and outs. Hopefully the transition will not be too rough on cm's and guests alike.

I can see it will definitely be a wait and see for many of us. It would be an interesting idea to have a separate mobile assistance line from a DAS line. Some areas of the park (think fantasyland) there is little room for two separate lines at each ride.

It sounded like they are going to make DAS users use the same alternative lines as before, which would translate to the same line offered wheelchairs at non-accessible lines without needing the DAS. This thread is the first where someone has mentioned that DAS users would be given any priority over wheelchair guests at these lines. It does seem odd that anyone in a wheelchair can simply be redirected to the alternative line without any of the additional wait time that the DAS user must have. Since they are not required to have a DAS as well, then the simple redirect at those rides would be like they still had the old style GAC.

Whew, you are right though, there are many ins and outs. Hopefully the transition will not be too rough on cm's and guests alike.

I just see no way other than having guests with a DAS card go in front of the wheelchair accesssible queue...

Say I have a DAS card, in addition to my full-time wheelchair use (not something I can stand up from). I get my DAS Return Pass, wait the 75 minutes for my turn on Space Mountain, and then go to the exit of the ride, the only accessible entrance.

It would be not only unfair, but actually illegal, to make me go to the back of the wheelchair queue, which (for Space) is usually about as long as the stand-by queue. It would be illegal to make me wait twice.

And for a ride like Pirates, with that horrible overflow queue in the middle of NOS, there is no way I can wait in that - that is WHY I am getting the DAS card in the first place. (again, assuming I get one).

I cannot safely wait in queues like that... that is the reason for the DAS card. So I assume that they will be pulling people who have waited their turn already, and not making us wait twice. Especially since the reason a lot of people will be getting the DAS will be to avoid waiting in the sun in the middle of the stimulation of Fantasyland.

And I really do not think that most of Fantasyland will be included in the DAS system - there is almost never a wait for the alternate entrances/accessible entrances for anything but Dumbo, Peter Pan, and Alice in Wonderland. Also Small World, but that is outside the "classics" area and has room. Those are the only attractions I expect to have the DAS o a regular basis from Fantasyland.

I am not sure how DAS will be handled at the rest, but I would not be surprised if the person would just show their DAS ID card to go in the exit of Snow White - there is never a line for this.

Also, I think there will be FAR fewer people issued a DAS ID than people think - it will definitely be FAR fewer than the number of GAC cards issued today. So it would not be impossible for the people waiting with wheelchairs, especially since only parties with a wheelchair user would delay their ride entry. A DAS user who did not have a mobility device would just get on, and not count toward that "number" of wheelchair users allowed on a ride at a time.

I think a lot is going to depend on crowd levels but if I already went to City Hall, got a DAS ID, went to a kiosk/ride, got a Return Time for Pirates, and then got to the ride and was told that because I had a wheelchair, I had to wait in the back of the line (in the sun, in the mob, all the things I must avoid)... there would be words. Polite, but insistent words, that I had already waited my turn...

I don't know quite how they will handle it, but I do know sending the person to the back of the wheelchair line may be putting that person directly into the place they needed to avoid.

so katy, do you think they will have accomodations after oct. 9 for sitting in front of shows? thanks! we'll be there for3 days before the change, then there for 3 days after. figures...

so katy, do you think they will have accomodations after oct. 9 for sitting in front of shows? thanks! we'll be there for3 days before the change, then there for 3 days after. figures...
What has been written in most places I have read is this quote:

-Guests needing Front Row Seating will not need a DAS. Attraction based procedures and accommodation will be used.

This means that each attraction where front row seating is available will have a procedure for how to handle that need.

I know that at WDW, there were people who had gotten a GAC for front row seatng, but found that just telling the CM greeter what they needed actually worked better than the stamp. In some cases, front row much not be the best seating for a particular person's issues, so they needed to explain anyway.
So, that may be part of what they are planning as part of the attraction based procedures.

I do not think there will be a DAS card or anything involved in this part. I think you would just approach the CM at the entrance to any show (I am trying to think of which shows have you line up beforehand - Aladdin, Muppets, and Magical Map. Capt Eo. Fantasy Faire, too, if you want to see a show).

I would just go early to the show (for example, Mickey and the Magical Map opens the house somewhere around 25 minutes early, so if you got there 10 minutes before show time, it would not matter what GAC you had, those seats were long since full). Go early, tell a CM that you have a vision impairment (? I am not sure what else gets you front row) and that you need to sit in the front row to be able to see anything.

For Aladdin and Magical Map, I would plan on getting there at least 30-40 minutes before the show. Like I said, Magical Map opens the house 25 minutes before showtime, and Aladdin opens closer to 15 minutes before.

For Muppets it is continuous shows, and there is always a CM at the line entrance, and where you go into the pre-show. There is also usually a CM in the preshow area. I would tell the first CM you encounter, and they should be able to help you. It is a 3D movie, so much of it makes so difference where you sit, but they should be able to direct you to the front.

Capt Eo is the same, with continuous shows, so again just talk to the CM when you get there and they should be able to help you.

Fantasy Faire's Royal Theatre has very cute shows, Tangled in the morning and Beauty and the Beast in the afternoon. These shows can fill up fast. The front part of the seating area is filled with carpet circles, and kids and some adults sit on the floor in front of the stage. There are benches in back of these - again, just talk to the CM early (when I go to see the sign language interpreters, and need a certain spot, I generally check in about 30 minutes prior, basically at the end of the show before). Just tell them you have a vision impairment (or whatever) and need to sit in the front row. They will generally do their best.

This show fills up every time, even on non-crowded days, so there may already be a long line when you get there. I would plan an extra "show" as padding - that is, try not to go to the last Tangled show if seeing it is a must. That way if the line for the 12:15 Tangled is too long for the CMs to accommodate you when you arrive, they may be able to say "Plan to come back for the 1:30 show" and then they will reserve seats as soon as the previous show clears. I sincerely hope that you will not need to do this, but I tell people who have no disability/special need to do this, because these shows can be very popular and it is a *very* small space. It fits maybe 200 people, including those sitting on the floor, while the other theatres I mentioned fit closer to 1800 people.

Billy Hill and the Hillbillies is in the Big Thunder Ranch arena right now, and there is no seating control - people just come and go as they please. In this case, just get there about 20-30 minutes early, and if need be ask a CM to help you. Generally you do not need to see much for this show as much as hear it, so you should do okay.

I completely forget It's Tough to be a Bug exists, and I almost never see people go in there. I have never been in the theatre, so I can tell you nothing about it (sorry) but I am sure a CM can help you. It is continuous like the other two 3D shows, so there should not be a problem.

I guess the rule of thumb for the 3 theatres (Aladdin, Magical Map, and Fantasy Faire Royal Theatre) is get there early! I say about 30-40 minutes early, or even stop by the theatre earlier in the day and ask what you should do (especially with Aladdin). And this goes for both the GAC and DAS system! Even though you will have a card for the GAC days, and will need to tell people on the DAS days, you will still need to get there early.

For the continuous shows (Capt Eo, Muppets, and ITTBAB), speak to the first CM you see, and they will direct you from there.

Unfortunately, for the nighttime shows and fireworks, the GAC never helped anyway. There has never been a "front row" section for Fantasmic or World of Color, although speaking to a CM cannot hurt - they may have a suggestion for the best place to sit/stand.

I know this was very long, but I hope it helped some. I was hoping to answer as many questions as I could anticipate about vision impairment/front row GACs and shows in theatres. Hope this helps!

I added this to the "suggestions" post (Post #4), but I wanted to add it to the end of the thread, so all those subscribed will get the added info.

If you have a smartphone or tablet, download Disney wait times apps. Rumor is that CMs will be using "My Disney Experience" app for WDW. It is unknown exactly which app will be used for Disneyland, though the names "Disney Parks" (like the one for WDW, but for other Disney Parks) and "Disney Mobile Magic." It cannot hurt to have other wait time apps on your phone, especially as they all have different capabilities (menus, etc).

Apparently you cannot get the ride times for the "official" Disney apps until you are in the park, so you must have your GPS enabled. Having the other wait times apps will give you an idea of what to expect before you even get to the parks. Having this will keep you from going all the way to a ride only to find out it is down, or that the wait time is too long for you. This should help people plan, and take away a little of the unknown from your day.

This will keep people from going all the way across the park only to find that the wait time for the desired is too long to wait. This will let you check for the ride with the wait time that works best for your current schedule and the wait times for the rides/shows surrounding it. If you know you are about to take an hour to eat, then look for a ride you desire with a very long wait time. If you happen to see a "must do" with a short wait time at that moment, then you can snag a Return Pass.

There are several apps out there that are free or low cost. Other than the official Disney ones, the wait times app that I like the best is "MouseWait" - there is one for WDW and one for DL.

This is just one more tool available to help people be able to plan a little better.

thank you SO MUCH sue and katy!!! it does help. I love the "forgot to be a bug exists":rotfl: we feel the same way about cpt. eo. and now that nebo can't see 3 D much anyway...
we always manage to get in the front for nemo the musical anyway.but we know the "drill there,.and beauty and the beast.and lion king. we are newbies to DL, though, and ALladin is a must do. (nebo loves the schmaltzY musicals, and he doesn't care if someone takes his "man card"..;)
we just want to see some of the cool stuff at DL that they dont' have at WDW (we have never been there) um.. while he still can... (let's just say his vision isn't going t get any better, and leave it at that. that's the "mantra" in our household right now.....)

we have an early dinner reservation for 8 (maybe 6 now) fop big thunder ranch bbq.(for my bday dinner) will we be seeing the billy hill and the hlbillies? sounds fun!
we are SO fish out of water. over 20 trips to WDW, and first at DLR! exciting!

Billy Hill and the Hillbillies will be performing at the Ranch Round Up behind the eatery and the petting zoo. So you can go see them, but your Big Thunder Ranch meal will not include them. There is some nice small entertainment offered at the BBQ,that is themed to the Ranch. Im sorry, the name escapes me now, but its usually a guitar player and a singer sometimes a piano player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter