DL & DCA -Disability Access Service Card- Post 1 update 12/7/14 DAS tied to ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.
KPeveler said:
I added this to the "suggestions" post (Post #4), but I wanted to add it to the end of the thread, so all those subscribed will get the added info.

If you have a smartphone or tablet, download Disney wait times apps. Rumor is that CMs will be using "My Disney Experience" app for WDW. It is unknown exactly which app will be used for Disneyland, though the names "Disney Parks" (like the one for WDW, but for other Disney Parks) and "Disney Mobile Magic." It cannot hurt to have other wait time apps on your phone, especially as they all have different capabilities (menus, etc).

Apparently you cannot get the ride times for the "official" Disney apps until you are in the park, so you must have your GPS enabled. Having the other wait times apps will give you an idea of what to expect before you even get to the parks. Having this will keep you from going all the way to a ride only to find out it is down, or that the wait time is too long for you. This should help people plan, and take away a little of the unknown from your day.

This will keep people from going all the way across the park only to find that the wait time for the desired is too long to wait. This will let you check for the ride with the wait time that works best for your current schedule and the wait times for the rides/shows surrounding it. If you know you are about to take an hour to eat, then look for a ride you desire with a very long wait time. If you happen to see a "must do" with a short wait time at that moment, then you can snag a Return Pass.

There are several apps out there that are free or low cost. Other than the official Disney ones, the wait times app that I like the best is "MouseWait" - there is one for WDW and one for DL.

This is just one more tool available to help people be able to plan a little better.
Is there an official wait time app for Disneyland that works on newer Android phones? Any of the official apps that include Disneyland day they are not compatible with my Samsung Galaxy S4. I'd appreciate any info anyone has on this.

Thank you for your time and effort answering the questions and laying the future plans out easily to understand. Out DD who is autistic has benefited well from the program in the past. I understand why it needed to change. I have concerns she will not understand that we can just walk up there and ride the ride. But we will have to make adjustments. We will be traveling in the end of the month we hope to see some positive posts on how it works for families before us.

I added this to the "suggestions" post (Post #4), but I wanted to add it to the end of the thread, so all those subscribed will get the added info.

If you have a smartphone or tablet, download Disney wait times apps. Rumor is that CMs will be using "My Disney Experience" app for WDW. It is unknown exactly which app will be used for Disneyland, though the names "Disney Parks" (like the one for WDW, but for other Disney Parks) and "Disney Mobile Magic." It cannot hurt to have other wait time apps on your phone, especially as they all have different capabilities (menus, etc).

Apparently you cannot get the ride times for the "official" Disney apps until you are in the park, so you must have your GPS enabled. Having the other wait times apps will give you an idea of what to expect before you even get to the parks. Having this will keep you from going all the way to a ride only to find out it is down, or that the wait time is too long for you. This should help people plan, and take away a little of the unknown from your day.

This will keep people from going all the way across the park only to find that the wait time for the desired is too long to wait. This will let you check for the ride with the wait time that works best for your current schedule and the wait times for the rides/shows surrounding it. If you know you are about to take an hour to eat, then look for a ride you desire with a very long wait time. If you happen to see a "must do" with a short wait time at that moment, then you can snag a Return Pass.

There are several apps out there that are free or low cost. Other than the official Disney ones, the wait times app that I like the best is "MouseWait" - there is one for WDW and one for DL.

This is just one more tool available to help people be able to plan a little better.

This really sucks for those of us who are from out of the country! Getting a US data plan added to our phones costs a ridiculous amount of money so we just add texting and some US minutes to my husband's phone and leave mine off. Even so, that small addition costs us $40 just for texts and talk time! :mad:

I wish DL and DCA would get wifi! I would be more than happy to buy whatever app they used but there is no way I am paying $100 just to find out how long the wait is for Space Mountain!

This really sucks for those of us who are from out of the country! Getting a US data plan added to our phones costs a ridiculous amount of money so we just add texting and some US minutes to my husband's phone and leave mine off. Even so, that small addition costs us $40 just for texts and talk time! :mad:

I wish DL and DCA would get wifi! I would be more than happy to buy whatever app they used but there is no way I am paying $100 just to find out how long the wait is for Space Mountain!

There are now some pretty good prepaid carrier deals in the U.S., to where as long as you have an unlocked phone, you could put their SIM in and pay what would amount to about $5 a day or so, depending on the carrier you choose and how long you are here. Some require at least a one month commitment, but some even offer daily plans.

I have no idea what app Disneyland will officially be using. I can tell you I have the "Disney Mobile Magic" and the "My Disney Experience" (WDW) app for my Samsung Galaxy SIII (S3). So both ARE available on the Android format. I just searched for "Disney Parks" and found them.

I am not sure what is out there for people from out of country, if your phones do not work here.... There are ways to buy smart phones on a "pay as you go" plan, so you just pay for the month you are in Disney.

If you cannot download the official app for whatever reason, or do not like it, or whatever, try non-Disney wait times apps. These will not be what CMs are using, so their return time may be different by a little (usually the wait times are common across the apps), but it will give you an idea.

I know this is not perfect, but I did want to post it as a suggestion and as another planning tool.

I have no idea what app Disneyland will officially be using. I can tell you I have the "Disney Mobile Magic" and the "My Disney Experience" (WDW) app for my Samsung Galaxy SIII (S3). So both ARE available on the Android format. I just searched for "Disney Parks" and found them.

I am not sure what is out there for people from out of country, if your phones do not work here.... There are ways to buy smart phones on a "pay as you go" plan, so you just pay for the month you are in Disney.

If you cannot download the official app for whatever reason, or do not like it, or whatever, try non-Disney wait times apps. These will not be what CMs are using, so their return time may be different by a little (usually the wait times are common across the apps), but it will give you an idea.

I know this is not perfect, but I did want to post it as a suggestion and as another planning tool.
Unfortunately, the official one with Disneyland doesn't work on Android 4.2.2 or newer (such as on the Galaxy S4 or Note 3). I wish it did, but I have even tried getting the .APK file and installing it manually and all it gives is a white screen. :confused3

Believe me, it's very frustrating, as I will definitely need the official app to determine wait times to figure out what I want to go on and when.

The non-disney ones are ok, if they have enough people inputting times in the parks that day, doesn't work very well on super busy days, as many people can't get on data long enough to submit wait times. Hopefully this will improve as the parks improve their cellular infrastructure.

Unfortunately, the official one with Disneyland doesn't work on Android 4.2.2 or newer (such as on the Galaxy S4 or Note 3). I wish it did, but I have even tried getting the .APK file and installing it manually and all it gives is a white screen. :confused3

Believe me, it's very frustrating, as I will definitely need the official app to determine wait times to figure out what I want to go on and when.

The non-disney ones are ok, if they have enough people inputting times in the parks that day, doesn't work very well on super busy days, as many people can't get on data long enough to submit wait times. Hopefully this will improve as the parks improve their cellular infrastructure.

I am sure Disney will be updating that app very soon, especially since they may end up needing it for the CMs in the park!

If you cannot use the "official" app yet, then I suggest downloading more than one of the other free wait times apps - I have "MouseWait" (app316.com) (usually pretty accurate, even on slow days, though of course it is not guaranteed), one called "Disneyland Wait Times" (VersaEdge Software LLC), and "Disneyland Lines" (TouringPlans.com)

These are the ones I can find on my Samsung Galaxy S3. If people have other wait times apps not listed here (other than the official ones from Disney) that you like, please post them. I will be beginning a list in the "Suggestions" post (post 4) for people to try out. Also, if there is a cost for the app you suggest, please list that as well. Thanks!

I believe some of those apps use other information besides current wait times submitted by people in the parks.
I know that the app by touringplans.com displays current wait times and also uses their experience collecting information over the years to come up with what they believe is the actual time someone will wait.

I believe some of those apps use other information besides current wait times submitted by people in the parks.
I know that the app by touringplans.com displays current wait times and also uses their experience collecting information over the years to come up with what they believe is the actual time someone will wait.
I did try the Touringplans.com one and everything had no wait according to them and it was a busy day. Maybe it was a glitch on the day that I tried it, but I don't know.

I certainly appreciate a list. For the iPhone, I love the Walkee App. They have a free wait times app and several different versions that you can pay for. I like their nicest one, it has great park maps and works very well, even when you don't have coverage. Of course it won't update without coverage, so wait times may be outdated in such a case, but you can still use it reliably at that point.

New link to DAS FAQs on Disney Parks Blog:
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/disney-parks-disability-access-service-card-fact-sheet/

Disney Parks have an unwavering commitment to providing a welcoming and inclusive environment and accessible experiences for guests.
Disney Parks is modifying the current Guest Assistance Card program, which provides access to attractions for guests with disabilities, so it can continue to serve the guests who truly need it. The new program is designed to provide the special experience guests have come to expect from Disney. It will also help control abuse that was, unfortunately, widespread and growing at an alarming rate.
The new Disability Access Service (DAS) Card will replace the Guest Assistance Card on Oct. 9. Guests at Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort can request a Disability Access Service Card at Guest Relations. DAS Cardholders will receive a return time for attractions based on the current wait time.
Disney Parks has long recognized and accommodated guests with varying needs. Guests can visit Guest Relations to discuss their individual situation, and Disney Parks will continue to provide assistance that is responsive to their unique circumstances.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Disability Access Service Card and how does it work?

The DAS Card is designed to accommodate guests who arent able to wait in a conventional queue environment due to a disability (including non-apparent disabilities). A Disability Access Service Card will be issued at Guest Relations main entrance locations and will offer guests a return time for attractions based on the current wait time. As soon as the Guest finishes one attraction, they can receive a return time for another. This service can be used in addition to Disneys FASTPASS Service and Disney FastPass+ service.

What will Disney Parks do if a Guest is concerned the DAS Card doesnt meet their needs?
Disney Parks have long recognized and accommodated guests with varying needs and will continue to work individually with guests with disabilities to provide assistance that is responsive to their unique circumstances. Guests should visit Guest Relations to discuss their individual needs.

Who will be eligible for a Disability Access Service Card?
Disney Parks goal is to accommodate guests who arent able to wait in a conventional queue environment due to a disability (including non-apparent disabilities). Guests should visit Guest Relations to discuss their assistance needs.

How will guests get a Disability Access Service Card?
A Disability Access Service Card will be issued at Guest Relations main entrance locations. Guests will participate in a registration process, which also includes having their photo taken.

Why is Disney Parks doing this?
Disney Parks is modifying the current Guest Assistance Card program so it can continue to serve the guests who truly need it. The new program is designed to provide the special experience guests have come to expect from Disney. Disney Parks also hopes it will help control abuse that was, unfortunately, widespread and growing at an alarming rate.

Does the DAS Cardholder have to be present to obtain a return time at an attraction?
No. Another member of the DAS Cardholders travel party may obtain a return time but the DAS Cardholder must board the attraction with his or her party.

Where do DAS Cardholders go to receive return times?
At Disneyland Resort, guests will go to Guest Relations kiosks located throughout the parks to receive a return time. At Walt Disney World Resort, guests will go to the attraction to receive a return time.
Does a DAS Cardholder have to ride the attraction at the exact return time listed?
No. Return times are valid until redeemed by the DAS Cardholder.

How long is a DAS Card valid?
A DAS card is valid for up to 14 days depending on a guests ticket entitlement.

Is a DAS Card issued at one Disney theme park valid at other Disney theme parks?
Yes, the card will be valid throughout the resort at which it was issued.

Why doesnt Disney Parks ask for proof of disability, such as a doctors note?
Disney Parks takes Guests at their word and there are legal restrictions around asking for proof.

Is this the only service available to Guests with disabilities?
Disney Parks offer a variety of services to guests with disabilities, such as Disneys Handheld Device that offers assistive listening, captioning and audio description. Additionally, Disney Parks has developed a Guide for Guests with Cognitive Disabilities. This serves as a tool on how best to experience its theme parks and is expected to be available online by mid-October.

Disney Parks will continue to provide excellent guest service and accessible experiences. Guests should visit Guest Relations at any park should they feel they need assistance due to a disability.

Does a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter need a DAS Card?
No, a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter does not need a DAS Card. Depending on the attraction, the Guest will either wait in the standard queue or receive a return time at the attraction based on the current wait time. For some attractions at Disneyland Resort, these guests will go directly to an alternate entrance. Guests with additional needs should discuss them with Guest Relations.

Will Disney Parks continue to provide a service to wish-granting organizations?
The change will not affect those who are visiting on trips organized by wish granting organizations. There is a separate program for children with life-threatening illnesses.

I deleted my post as you caught that the first link does not work. Thanks for posting this.

I do not know what I am going to do. My problems seldom revolved around waiting in cues. I suspect that constantly explaining what I need to at least two cast members (one at the entrance and one further in) at many attractions, is going to get old and embarrassing for me.

We have a quick 4 day trip coming up and it will give me the chance to test the waters. In November we have our annual Friends and Family reunion. I just hope that I find a way to not get frustrated.

I deleted my post as you caught that the first link does not work. Thanks for posting this.

I do not know what I am going to do. My problems seldom revolved around waiting in cues. I suspect that constantly explaining what I need to at least two cast members (one at the entrance and one further in) at many attractions, is going to get old and embarrassing for me.

We have a quick 4 day trip coming up and it will give me the chance to test the waters. In November we have our annual Friends and Family reunion. I just hope that I find a way to not get frustrated.
Here is a thought that I have had about this, as I know a few people in similar situations.

Would you be able to simply write on a small card what your concerns are and hand that to the CM? This would reduce the need to explain it to them each time verbally, but still would communicate the need to them.

Additionally though the FAQ does say that they will be working with guests on an individual basis.

The one piece of advice that I have received from the person that I was talking with in the Disney offices is when you go into guest relations, be very specific as to what you need to make the attractions accessible to you. Do not explain WHY you need it, unless asked in order to clarify, but state clearly and concisely WHAT you need.

For example, mine might be something like:
At attractions, I often have to get out of line quickly and being in the standby line prevents that, so I need an alternate method to wait. In addition, I have problems with stairs and turnstiles and need to be able to get around them.

Renting a wheelchair would cause problems with my primary need above and I am able to walk through the parks, but at shows and parades, I need to be able to sit while waiting and watching them. I also need to be able to avoid the stairs that a lot of them have going in and out of them.

It's straight forward and to the point of what I need, without going into details of why I need it. If they question further about the need to get out line quickly, I would explain that if I was unable to, they most likely would be closing the ride and calling janitorial.

I have been told that this is the information that they will be looking for. So, for example, saying my child has Autsim won't help, instead, you need to explain what they need to make it possible for them to wait for the attraction. Such as they need a place to wait where it isn't crowded.

The bottom line that I got, was be as specific as possible about what you need to be able to do the attractions and don't just say that you can't wait in lines.

Here is a thought that I have had about this, as I know a few people in similar situations.

Would you be able to simply write on a small card what your concerns are and hand that to the CM? This would reduce the need to explain it to them each time verbally, but still would communicate the need to them.

Additionally though the FAQ does say that they will be working with guests on an individual basis.

The one piece of advice that I have received from the person that I was talking with in the Disney offices is when you go into guest relations, be very specific as to what you need to make the attractions accessible to you. Do not explain WHY you need it, unless asked in order to clarify, but state clearly and concisely WHAT you need.

At attractions, I often have to get out of line quickly and being in the standby line prevents that, so I need an alternate method to wait. In addition, I have problems with stairs and turnstiles and need to be able to get around them.

Renting a wheelchair would cause problems with my primary need above and I am able to walk through the parks, but at shows and parades, I need to be able to sit while waiting and watching them. I also need to be able to avoid the stairs that a lot of them have going in and out of them.

It's straight forward and to the point of what I need, without going into details of why I need it. If they question further about the need to get out line quickly, I would explain that if I was unable to, they most likely would be closing the ride and calling janitorial.

I have been told that this is the information that they will be looking for. So, for example, saying my child has Autsim won't help, instead, you need to explain what they need to make it possible for them to wait for the attraction. Such as they need a place to wait where it isn't crowded.

The bottom line that I got, was be as specific as possible about what you need to be able to do the attractions and don't just say that you can't wait in lines.
Yes.
Good advice.
That has been what I have been saying since this board started. Explain the needs related to the disability. From post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread.
(Obviously, I haven't edited it for the new DAS, so it still says GAC, but it's pretty good otherwise)

Do certain diagnoses qualify for a GAC?
No.
Having any specific diagnosis doesn't qualify or not qualify someone for a GAC; there is no list of "appropriate" diagnoses for a GAC. Also, the CMs do not have medical training, so a specific diagnosis does not really mean much to them.
The GAC is based on needs that the person has related to a disability, not what their diagnosis is.
The diagnosis is not really that important because people with the same diagnosis can have very different needs.*
The GAC is given based on needs and the accommodations that meet those needs. This is not a Disney rule, this is the way that the ADA is written. According to the ADA, accommodations are not given based on the diagnosis or specific disability; they are given based on needs that are related to a disability.*
For example, my youngest DD has cerebral palsy as her main diagnosis. Some people with cerebral palsy don't really need anything special; some might walk with a cane/crutches or use a wheelchair, but don't need anything besides an accessible line. Those people would not need a GAC.
Some people, like my DD, have additional needs that are not met just by having her wheelchair in line. I go to Guest Services and explain my DD's needs to the CMs there to get a GAC issued to her to help meet her needs.

How do I figure out what the needs are?
Think about what sorts of things happen in a day at the park and how they would affect the person with a disability. Those are the types of things you want to be able to discuss with the Cast Member at Guest Relations. Some things to consider:
  • Some attractions have quieter waiting places; they are often a roped or chained off area to the side of the regular waiting area, often not a separate area. There are usually no seats in the areas, but they are wheelchair accessible. This is an example of one of those spots - this one is at The Circle of Life at Epcot in The Land. The 'regular' waiting area is to the left of the picture and the handicapped area is to the right, in a roped off part of the same room.
    2590Circle_of_Life_entrance.JPG

Not all attractions have these types of waiting areas and it is possible that the waiting area may not be available, even if there is one - it could be filled, or being used for another reason (such as a medical emergency involving another guest).
  • Some children with disabilities might need to bring a stroller in line; either because they can't/won't walk in line or to give a 'safe haven' where they would not be so close to other people. A GAC could allow the stroller to be brought into lines and be treated just like a wheelchair, being brought into the Mainstream Lines. and to boarding areas.
  • Does the person need a place to lie down once in a while to rest or just an air conditioned place? First Aid in any park has cots for lying down; no need for a GAC to do that.
  • Is the person on medication or have a condition that may cause overheating or problems with being in the sun or heat? If so, a GAC might help with that (although most lines are shaded and many lines are indoors, so a GAC would not do a lot). A GAC may say that the person can wait out of the sun when the queue is in the sun for a prolonged period of time. Since most queues are shaded, this need is often met without needing a GAC. Guests with these types of issues also need to think about protecting themselves during the time they will be in the sun going between attractions and getting from place to place.
  • Does the person with an invisible disability need extra time getting into/out of ride vehicles for those rides with moving walkways? Do they need to avoid stair. If so, a GAC might help someone who can walk by allowing boarding at the wheelchair boarding spot for those attractions. (NOTE: Wheelchair/ECV users board at the exit for those moving walkway rides without needing a GAC, but they usually wait in the regular line with everyone else until close to the regular boarding area).

Yes.
Good advice.
That has been what I have been saying since this board started. Explain the needs related to the disability. From post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread.
(Obviously, I haven't edited it for the new DAS, so it still says GAC, but it's pretty good otherwise)

Do certain diagnoses qualify for a GAC?
No.
Having any specific diagnosis doesn't qualify or not qualify someone for a GAC; there is no list of "appropriate" diagnoses for a GAC. Also, the CMs do not have medical training, so a specific diagnosis does not really mean much to them.
The GAC is based on needs that the person has related to a disability, not what their diagnosis is.
The diagnosis is not really that important because people with the same diagnosis can have very different needs.*
The GAC is given based on needs and the accommodations that meet those needs. This is not a Disney rule, this is the way that the ADA is written. According to the ADA, accommodations are not given based on the diagnosis or specific disability; they are given based on needs that are related to a disability.*
For example, my youngest DD has cerebral palsy as her main diagnosis. Some people with cerebral palsy don't really need anything special; some might walk with a cane/crutches or use a wheelchair, but don't need anything besides an accessible line. Those people would not need a GAC.
Some people, like my DD, have additional needs that are not met just by having her wheelchair in line. I go to Guest Services and explain my DD's needs to the CMs there to get a GAC issued to her to help meet her needs.

How do I figure out what the needs are?
Think about what sorts of things happen in a day at the park and how they would affect the person with a disability. Those are the types of things you want to be able to discuss with the Cast Member at Guest Relations. Some things to consider:
  • Some attractions have quieter waiting places; they are often a roped or chained off area to the side of the regular waiting area, often not a separate area. There are usually no seats in the areas, but they are wheelchair accessible. This is an example of one of those spots - this one is at The Circle of Life at Epcot in The Land. The 'regular' waiting area is to the left of the picture and the handicapped area is to the right, in a roped off part of the same room.
    2590Circle_of_Life_entrance.JPG

Not all attractions have these types of waiting areas and it is possible that the waiting area may not be available, even if there is one - it could be filled, or being used for another reason (such as a medical emergency involving another guest).
  • Some children with disabilities might need to bring a stroller in line; either because they can't/won't walk in line or to give a 'safe haven' where they would not be so close to other people. A GAC could allow the stroller to be brought into lines and be treated just like a wheelchair, being brought into the Mainstream Lines. and to boarding areas.
  • Does the person need a place to lie down once in a while to rest or just an air conditioned place? First Aid in any park has cots for lying down; no need for a GAC to do that.
  • Is the person on medication or have a condition that may cause overheating or problems with being in the sun or heat? If so, a GAC might help with that (although most lines are shaded and many lines are indoors, so a GAC would not do a lot). A GAC may say that the person can wait out of the sun when the queue is in the sun for a prolonged period of time. Since most queues are shaded, this need is often met without needing a GAC. Guests with these types of issues also need to think about protecting themselves during the time they will be in the sun going between attractions and getting from place to place.
  • Does the person with an invisible disability need extra time getting into/out of ride vehicles for those rides with moving walkways? Do they need to avoid stair. If so, a GAC might help someone who can walk by allowing boarding at the wheelchair boarding spot for those attractions. (NOTE: Wheelchair/ECV users board at the exit for those moving walkway rides without needing a GAC, but they usually wait in the regular line with everyone else until close to the regular boarding area).

:thumbsup2Thanks to both of you for the encouragement! I know I struggle with drastic changes but I work very hard to be flexible. I guess some times I need a kick in the butt. Thanks again!

information for Guests with cognitive disabilities at Disneyland is now available
Link to DL page for Guests with Cognitive Disabilities, including a page link for DAS FAQs (which is the same information as in post 9)
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/cognitive-disabilities/

And a link to the new Disneyland Guide for Guests with Cognitive Disabilities. It also looks very complete - 19 pages, but Disneyland is smaller than WDW. It includes a nice table listing all attractions and things like bumps, surprises, getting wet, etc:
https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/me...nd-Resource-Guests-Cognitive-Disabilities.pdf

I spoke with a Guest Relations lead today about the changes, and she said that things are still rapidly evolving - what she was told today is different from what she heard in a meeting 3 days ago, which was different than 3 days before that. Not major changes, but rather figuring out the smaller decisions, like how many days DL Annual Passholders would be issued a DAS card for.

I have heard everything from 3 to 7 days for an AP DAS card, but never anything longer than 7. I heard 5 days today from the Guest Relations lead.

There still seems to be some debate over whether guests at an attraction would be allowed to issue a Return Time, or whether you must go to the kiosk. Right now, neither has been ruled out - I am not sure management has decided, and it will be an evolving system.

I was told by a different lead tonight that anything with a wait of 10 minutes or less would not be given a Return Time - that a guest would just be directed to the attraction

Also, as I was talking with several families tonight and realized something... many of us think about our mobility disabilities as primary, because they may cause the biggest or most visually apparent impact. But that is not necessarily what will impact us most in the lines. It may be a heat intolerance or a GI issue or a mental health issue. Yes, you may also have a mobility issue, but especially as most of WDW is mainstreamed, most of what Disney can do to help with mobility has been done.

For example, my biggest impediment to me using most lines is my heat and mental health issues (depending on which line). This means bringing up my mobility is not needed at all - focus on what you need and try to keep it as on-point and as brief, while still being informative, as possible. The CMs are going to be hearing from a LOT of people in the next few weeks, and keeping things as simple as possible will make things easier for everyone involved.

And, as others have said, please be kind to the Cast Members you speak with -there will be a lot of people who are not happy and decide to take it out on the CM in front of them. The person you speak to when asking for/about a DAS card did not write the policy, not did their boss, nor did that person's boss. The person in Guest Relations can only implement the policy they are given. While feedback, both positive and negative will help shape the system in the future, the CM in front of you is doing the best they can. And they are learning too - so let's all be kind, and this transition will go okay.

I hope they can find a way of giving out return passes for several rides at once if my wife and I go alone because of a few complicated issues there is no way we can keep going back and forth. Even with a GAC we can only go to the parks for 2 or 3 hours at a time. When we go with other family members we don't even use a GAC

I'll be there the 12th. I have an AP, but i plan to bring our hotel reservations hoping they'll give us a card for the full week. I'm also nervous about going back and forth to the kiosks. Sure, I'm able-bodied, but that's a lot of extra walking over the coarse of a week! And the little rides, will I have to go to the kiosk, just to be told I can go straight to the ride? Or if we walk by a short ride, can we just go on? **! :sad2:

DS has autism and the thing I'm worried most about is his lack of executive function. He's used to touring the parks on his terms for the past 4 years. He sees a ride, we go on, that's it. But to have to decide a ride in advance, then come back to that ride from what we're currently doing... That's why we've only been on RSR twice since it opened. I've been trying to prep him, but he doesn't really get it.

I was thinking about buying a touring plan. If i can steer us to go during certain times or in a certain order minimizing crowds, maybe the waits will be low enough we don't have to mess with return times?

Jperiod said:
I'll be there the 12th. I have an AP, but i plan to bring our hotel reservations hoping they'll give us a card for the full week. I'm also nervous about going back and forth to the kiosks. Sure, I'm able-bodied, but that's a lot of extra walking over the coarse of a week! And the little rides, will I have to go to the kiosk, just to be told I can go straight to the ride? Or if we walk by a short ride, can we just go on? **! :sad2:

DS has autism and the thing I'm worried most about is his lack of executive function. He's used to touring the parks on his terms for the past 4 years. He sees a ride, we go on, that's it. But to have to decide a ride in advance, then come back to that ride from what we're currently doing... That's why we've only been on RSR twice since it opened. I've been trying to prep him, but he doesn't really get it.

I was thinking about buying a touring plan. If i can steer us to go during certain times or in a certain order minimizing crowds, maybe the waits will be low enough we don't have to mess with return times?
The problem that I can see with the current touring plans out there is that they will not account for some of the unique situations that will come up with this system.

I hope they can find a way of giving out return passes for several rides at once if my wife and I go alone because of a few complicated issues there is no way we can keep going back and forth. Even with a GAC we can only go to the parks for 2 or 3 hours at a time. When we go with other family members we don't even use a GAC

I notice that you go to WDW a lot in your signature - in that case you will be able to use FP, FP+, and possibly the DAS. They will not, for the foreseeable future, be writing down more than one DAS Return Time at once.

It may be that there are things which require no DAS or for which the DAS does not function. For example, many shows run continuously, or every hour. There will also be rides that are so low wait that they are not currently writing DAS cards for them.

When you go with other family members, why would you not use the GAC/DAS? When others are there, they can be the ones to go get the Return Time.

In terms of DisneyLAND - they still will not be changing that policy of one Return Time at a time for the foreseeable future. I remember when they were first trying Fastpasses park-wide (this was in Florida) and they were trying different ways of getting a second FP (after two hours had passed, etc), other than waiting for the first FP time to come.

First they need to see how this system works, and I doubt they will be changing it for now. There may be select tests in the future (perhaps on very crowded days when there are long lines for even Pinocchio) where they give out two times, but I doubt that will happen any time soon.

So you should plan on only getting one time. But even so, there are many things to do in DL that you will not need a DAS time for - like enjoying the Animation Building in DCA or the Tiki Room (shows start at a posted time, and if you need accommodation, just ask - like using the lift if you cannot climb stairs).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter