DL MaxPass or DAS

LaurenDis

Mouseketeer
The last two times we went (over 4 years) we used a DAS for my son (now 8). High functioning Austism, gets agitated in line and can hit others (we try to block him in between us), also has bladder issues with not knowing he needs to go until the last minute.

We are renting a stroller to use as a buffer if needed although he is embarrassed about it.

Question is now that MaxPass is available to we use that or go with DAS? He enjoys all the rides so not just headliners. There are 5 of us so MaxPass would be $375 for the 5 days which is a lot. I’m torn what the best route is and which will make it easier for him.

Thanks for your thoughts.

On our last trip we used both, although with Maxpass we found that we barely needed the DAS.

We used both DAS and MaxPass when we went last May, definitely recommend using both. For the Fantasyland rides, if you get early morning access with a 3 day or more ticket, definitely take advantage of that. We were able to ride every ride there in an hour easily.

We saved DAS for rides that did not have a FP, such as Peter Pan in Disneyland and Mater's Tow Jamboree in CA.

How did you handle rides like fantasyland that didn’t have FP/MaxPass?

We used the DAS for those kinds of rides but we also make DS wait in lines that are ~20 min wait so that took care of a bunch of the Fantasyland rides so we ended up using the DAS for only a handful of rides.

We use both as annual passholders. They work well in tandem.
Totally agree with this. We also use both. And depending on the crowd levels and patterns, on some days we use MP alone. Other days, we use DAS alone. And sometimes we find a ride with a short enough line so we don't need either. It just depends on the rides we choose, the crowds levels, and how our day is going. But together, MP and DAS are a great team.
Also, remember that MP can be purchased day of -- it only takes a minute or two after you activate your tickets at the gate (have your credit card already on file on the app) -- so you don't have to purchase MP every single day of your trip. You can try it the first day or two to see how it works with DAS for your son. If it works well, then keep getting it for the rest of your trip. If it doesn't seem to be a great fit, then stick with DAS alone. But you might want to get it just for you each day for PhotoPass and the ride photos.

Last edited:

Totally agree with this. We also use both. And depending on the crowd levels and patterns, on some days we use MP alone. Other days, we use DAS alone. And sometimes we find a ride with a short enough line so we don't need either. It just depends on the rides we choose, the crowds levels, and how our day is going. But together, MP and DAS are a great team.
Also, remember that MP can be purchased day of -- it only takes a minute or two after you activate your tickets at the gate (have your credit card already on file on the app) -- so you don't have to purchase MP every single day of your trip. You can try it the first day or two to see how it works with DAS for your son. If it works well, then keep getting it for the rest of your trip. If it doesn't seem to be a great fit, then stick with DAS alone. But you might want to get it just for you each day for PhotoPass and the ride photos.
Thank you! I didn’t realize you could get MaxPass on your phone, I thought we would have to go back to the tickets booths at the entry. Great to know!

Thank you! I didn’t realize you could get MaxPass on your phone, I thought we would have to go back to the tickets booths at the entry. Great to know!

Do some more research on what MaxPass actually is, it is confusing at first. It is just like FP but you are able to make your FP over your phone so that you do not have to go to the FP kiosks. That is the whole benefit of it. It does not give you any extra FP, just the ability to book your next FP on your phone as soon as you use your current one. So when you tap your ticket at a ride that you are using your FP, you can then go into your MP on your phone and book your next FP while still in line.

That's the whole point of Maxpass and why it costs extra. It is a convenience.

Use both, here is what I tend to do (if I am planning a day out):
  1. Before leaving for the parks:
    1. Make a plan of what you want to do on any particular day
    2. Put everything in an order that makes sense for you, I usually do it in an order that will keep backtracking to a minimum when accounting for kiosk locations for return times
  2. At the parks:
    1. Make sure you have Maxpass added to your ticket (You can add it straight from the phone)
    2. The second your ticket is scanned, use your phone to get a FP for the first ride that offers FP on your list
    3. If you don't already have it, go to guest relations (or a kiosk) and get your DAS, while there ask them to give you a return time for the first non-FP attraction on your list
    4. Walk to which ever attraction is first on the list and use the DAS/FP return time. If the return time isn't valid yet, use one of the nearby attractions that doesn't need a DAS, i.e. Tiki Room or something with less than a 10 minute wait.
    5. As soon as you do use (scan your FP at the first scanner, so while you are technically in the FP return line) your FP (or the time you can get another FP, whichever comes first), get your next FP
    6. After using the DAS, get your next return time
    7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 and always try to have both a return time and at least one FP on hand at all times.
Also, it should be noted that as of yesterday you can also get Fantasmic! and World of Color FPs with Maxpass and they do not interfere with getting any other FPs, they are still separate.

If you want to use a gift card to purchase MP, then you'll have to go to the ticket booths. But if you use a credit card, you'll be able to purchase MP using the Disneyland App right after you activate your tickets at the gate. Only takes a few minutes!
This is the current superthread on MP: "Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy" by @Skyegirl1999 - www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/. Read through it to get up to speed on MP, then ask any questions there. You'll get lots of great help!

Maxpass and DAS worked great together. It was wonderful being able to alternate betwrrn the two. If i found a good Maxpass an hour or two later, we'd do a shorter DAS nearby, and vice versa. We also used the DAS for rides without FP, including several in Fantasyland. One day we didn't want to ride much, so we didn't purchase Maxpass for that day and just relied on the DAS, and we kinda missed it even though it was only a few hours.

We went a few weekends ago when it was moderately busy (evening waits around 45 mins). We only did Disneyland and went very slow. With combining the DAS with MaxPass were able to do Pirates, Haunted Mansion 2x, Big Thunder 3x, Peter Pan 2x, Space Mountain, Autopia 2x, Alice in Wonderland, Matterhorn 3x, Buzz Lightyear 2x. I'm sure I'm missing a few others.

We went a few weekends ago when it was moderately busy (evening waits around 45 mins). We only did Disneyland and went very slow. With combining the DAS with MaxPass were able to do Pirates, Haunted Mansion 2x, Big Thunder 3x, Peter Pan 2x, Space Mountain, Autopia 2x, Alice in Wonderland, Matterhorn 3x, Buzz Lightyear 2x. I'm sure I'm missing a few others.
Wow! I don’t think we would have the stamina to keep up with that many rides in a day! We are planning for 5 days to be able to spread it out.

Wow! I don’t think we would have the stamina to keep up with that many rides in a day! We are planning for 5 days to be able to spread it out.
Honestly, I find I can physically handle more rides in a single day at Disneyland, especially with Maxpass than at WDW because of how close everything is and I don't have to depend on FPs that I booked 2 months earlier. It really makes a huge difference to have only same day FPs and even better when you can book from your phone while in line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!