DL, Vegas, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon...

Soccer Princess

DIS Cast Member<br><font color=red>you would never
We want to go to Vegas for a few days, DL for a few days, spend a night or two in LA and see the Hoover Dam and/or Grand Canyon? Are the Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon on the way to/from Vegas and Disneyland? If not, how far out of the way would they be? Any suggestions for how long to be in Vegas or DL? How long should we plan for the entire trip? (We will be flying from Louisville)

I would suggest maybe flying into Phoenix, and flying home from Los Angeles or Santa Ana (near Disneyland). Drive from Phoenix through the Grand Canyon and on to Las Vegas and drop the car. Then at least 3 nights in Las VEgas, rent a car and drive to Disneyland or just take one of the cheap Jet Blue flights from Vegas to Santa Ana. If it's just two of you, definitely worth it to fly instead of drive. if you've got a carful of 4 it may be economical to drive to Disneyland, but not necessarily.

I mention the car switch in Vegas because I don't think they offer good one-way car rentals from Phoenix to L.A..........but it does depend on time of year.

you mean santa ava is closing to disneyland park, as i am thinking to go back in anaheim in 2008 with my husband and 2 childrens.

My husband birthday 40th and like to go somewhere nice as we want go dubai but think too expensive for a week for 4 of us.

As i have been there in anaheim about 16 years ago with my cousin and flight to LA.

I am thinking to go anaheim first, then go to las vegas but not sure which the best way to go there - hire a car from anaheim drive to las vegas or one way flight to las vegas then flying home to uk from las vegas?

Scottishwee35

Yes fly into Los Angeles and then fly home from Las Vegas. You can book a cheap flight from Santa Ana to Las Vegas on USAirways.....or from Long Beach to Las Vegas on jetblue.

Both these airports are easier than LAX. However, by 2008 the airline situation will change so check back in 2008. And always plan Las Vegas for Mon Tues Wed THurs, it is much le$$ than Fri and Sat.

Im not sure about the transportation parts mentioned in all the above posts but I can tell you about drives from Phoenix. I live West of Phoenix (Not much) and we drove to the Grand canyon and it was about 3 hours trip each way to the SOuth Rim. The North rim is closed now doe to snow and winter conditions. The grandcanyon can be seen in a day if you only do one rim. The Shuttles are free to ride and parking is free but getting into the park cost something like $25 per car load unless you have the national park pass letting you in free.

I drive to Disneyland from Phoenix (Where I work) in 5 1/2 to 6 hours and I go about every other month. Right now there is a one hour time change so by the clock its 4 1/2 hours lol (I love to arrive early enough to go Friday Nights and can do this during this time of the year) When the time changes in teh spring we are the same time zone as California and Nevada again. (We never change time here)

I have driven to Las Vegas once and I think it was about 5 hours of driving to get there. We didnt go too close to the grand canyon but we didnt go up Interstate 17 that trip either. I hear they have lots of bus trips to hoover dam and the Grand canyon oyut of Las Vegas but Im not sure if its to the North or South RIm. Either would be beautiful to see but NOrth is closed until Spring.

How much time to spend there: I would not be in Disneyland less than 2 to 3 days if you want to see most all of it. Grand Canyon is about a day or stay the night in one of their hotels right in the grand canyon if you like to hike. They allow you to go down into the Grand Canyon (Be sure to check their web site for rules and permit needs if you do this), Las Vegas Im ready to leave after a couple days. Then driving or transportation time. Certainly I could easily spend a week in California with so much to do.

From the south rim entrance of Grand Canyon National Park to Las Vegas takes about 4.5 hours-6 hours depending on traffic and the holdup on Hoover Dam. This would be going down HWY 64 from the park, catching I-40 W in Williams, AZ and then heading to Vegas on the main HWY from Kingman, AZ to Vegas (make sure you have plenty of gas if you drive from Kingman to Vegas, there are no Gas stations for something like 60 miles)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts