DL vs. WDW: Best for a solo trip?

MinnesoTristan

Mouseketeer
I have been to WDW virtually every year since I was six, and twice to DL with my parents as an adult, but the only parks I have visited solo were at DLP. If I were to take a solo trip a little closer to home, what are the pros and cons of WDW vs DL for solo trips?
Live in Minnesota, so flights are about even.
I think I would enjoy Epcot for the festivals as a solo traveler, but I also love Disneyland during Halloween.

Should clarify that the trip would be 2021 at the very earliest.

You will need at least 4 days for WDW, 2 minimum for Disneyland. I’ve done WDW solo and it is fine solo, so I would base it on how long you have to travel. As for the festivals, they are fantastic solo. You can’t go wrong with either choice.

Try asking your DLR question on the Disneyland (California) board. We have many solo visitors (some who make solo trips every year!), so you should get lots of good advice and suggestions. DLR works out well for solo trips -- very walkable, affordable (staying off site is safe and budget friendly -- and can be a closer walk to the gates than staying on site), easy transportation (SNA is the closest airport to DLR, LAX usually has the lowest fares), etc. Once you have a better idea of what will be possible for your trip, making a decision will be much easier!

Both are equally great IMO as far as going solo. I've been to CA during Christmas-time and their festival is similar in quality to Epcot. Rooms are more affordable at DL if staying within walking distance if money is a concern. I can stay at the Extended Stay over a holiday and have a nice kitchen for the same price as camping at Fort Wilderness in September (I can also pay half that and be within walking distance of Universal Orlando with no fridge or shampoo). Maxpass is also great as a solo traveler and there are more single-rider lines.

I'd base my decision on what attractions I want to do because that is the best part of going solo. I can watch the fireworks and projection shows from different viewpoints or visit Pandora or Carsland at both day and night. I can ride IASW three times in one day during the holiday overlay or spend two hours exploring TSI.

I would always vote for Disney World; because, there are more parks and more to see. Then, if you feel you want to venture out more you have Universal and SeaWorld.

2021 will be the 50th anniversary at Disney World, too. And even though I believe it will be a scaled down celebration I would want to be there.

I am a Disneyland AP. I’ve never done WDW solo. But I do Disneyland solo frequently. It really is very solo friendly. If your considering October who knows how COVID will change things next year but Oogie Boogie bash is spectacular. I’d say if youve done wdw I’d go for Disneyland. If your going at holiday time I’m torn, Disneyland does have festival of holidays which is fantastic, especially love the Coco special area and events.
However wdw has the parties assuming they have them again next year. I’ve always wanted to attend one of those. Either way I bet you can’t go wrong.

I’m seeing a lot of love for Disneyland in this thread, and I think I’m learning that way too. I think being more walkable would add to the enjoyment too.

I've done both DL and WDW solo - and I prefer WDW solo. Couple reasons: 1) DL has more locals - and because of that, I've found the place less friendly to solo travelers because it's more "everyday hang out with friends" type place vs having a larger population of new guests. I find more people to talk to at WDW as solo and seemed to run into more folks who were judgy about me being solo at DL. 2) I haven't been able to afford to stay at one of the DL resort hotels - and I dislike walking back to my hotel in what feels like the middle of a strange city to me. I've been solo there 3 times so I got more comfortable with the whole area on my second and third trips - but it still feels like a local amusement park in the middle of a city to me. I prefer WDW because I can afford to stay on property there - and I am in the Disney bubble the whole time - and that just seems to feel safer to me. I find "what I need" at WDW is more accessible because of local transportation options within the resort.

Now - to put in perspective - I've also been to WDW more - 20+ times - with 70% of those trips solo. And its alot cheaper for me based on the cost of the plane flight.

I would say it depends on how long your trip is. If it's a shorter trip, I would vote for DL. If you have more time, I would vote for WDW. I haven't done DL solo, but I have done WDW solo and I really enjoyed it.

I've been to both WDW and also DL solo. The main reason that makes WDW preferable is the option of staying on-site. At DL, I stayed at an off-site hotel. It was within walking distance, but at the end of the day, I felt a little uncomfortable walking to my hotel. It was always a time when other people were walking, so I'd walk close to a random family so I looked like I wasn't alone. Fortunately, no one noticed or minded that I was nearby. Outside the theme park, I felt more comfortable at WDW. And in the park, there seemed to be more shopping at WDW, allowing me to stroll around and shop.

Both are equally great IMO as far as going solo. I've been to CA during Christmas-time and their festival is similar in quality to Epcot. Rooms are more affordable at DL if staying within walking distance if money is a concern. I can stay at the Extended Stay over a holiday and have a nice kitchen for the same price as camping at Fort Wilderness in September (I can also pay half that and be within walking distance of Universal Orlando with no fridge or shampoo). Maxpass is also great as a solo traveler and there are more single-rider lines.

I'd base my decision on what attractions I want to do because that is the best part of going solo. I can watch the fireworks and projection shows from different viewpoints or visit Pandora or Carsland at both day and night. I can ride IASW three times in one day during the holiday overlay or spend two hours exploring TSI.

That’s only the case for on-site rooms at WDW. Off-site runs from budget to luxury prices.

DL hands down. Not really my gig, but if you managed to go and take part in Dapper Days I'm sure you would have a blast.

Dapper Days is at both parks plus DLP, so if that is something someone is into(like me), it’s definitely worth checking out at either park.

I absolutely prefer Disneyland for a solo trip. There are more solos (i.e. you get fewer weird looks for traipsing around without kids) and they have way more single rider lines. I eat more counter service when solo and DL has better options (the food is better in general, but especially the counter service). There are no long bus rides either. While it may seem like there is less to do, they have almost the same numebr of attractions in two parks as WDW has in four. Both are fun for solo travel, but DL makes for a better solo time to me.

I've done both solo and would go with DL. The rides are better, it's more compact and it's got a nicer, more nostalgic feel. I do feel more comfortable as a solo guest at DL because, as another poster pointed out, it's more locals going for an evening or a day out as solo guests, so being alone doesn't attract looks from young parents who think Disney is just for kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!