DLH vs GCH club level?

VandVsmama

DIS Veteran
I need your help, oh wise Disneylanders. ODD will be going on a big choir trip for a week and that trip is going to fall over YDD's birthday. Originally, I was planning for DH & I to do an adults-only trip to WDW in late Jan/early Feb of next year (my sister would be taking care of the kids during that time), but now that this big choir thing has come up, those tentative plans are a little up in the air.

For YDD's birthday when this choir trip happens, YDD will be turning 13. Big milestone! YDD wants to go to WDW, but her b-day is in the summer and it's just too dang hot for me & DH to want to go to FL again...especially when we will probably be going to Orlando in June 2022 when DH will have a work convention to attend in Orlando.

DH said that he's burned out on DL. YDD wants to go to Universal Studios and to DL if WDW is a no (WDW is definitely a no go this time). So I'm trying to put together some plans for how I could make this more palatable for DH. We've stayed twice before at the DLH & really like it there. We've also stayed a few times at various off site hotels and have enjoyed our stays there, too.

Both times we've stayed at the DLH, we've walked past the GCH several times and every time we walk past, DH remarks, "We should stay THERE next time. Look at how close it is." What I would really like to do for YDD **and** DH is for us to stay 3 nights either at GCH or DLH in a club level room. In June 2018, we went to WDW and stayed 1 night in a club level room at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. That was awesome. DH loved having all of the "free" snacks and drinks that were available throughout most of the day.

So I feel almost certain that GCH club level would make DH pretty happy. He'd be able to quickly go take a break in the room. He, YDD, & I would be able to grab some snacks and treats when we wanted, etc., etc. The trip is far enough away that I can budget for the extra hotel cost, so that won't be an issue.

If any of you guys have stayed at GCH or DLH club level, what did you think of it? If you've stayed at both, which do you prefer?

Also, have any of you stayed at GCH in a room with 5 people? The reason I ask is we might end up bringing 2 additional people with us on the trip and they'd share the room with us, so we'd need a 2 queen + day bed set up.

Thoughts?

We stayed at both this past Christmas and loved everything about the GCH. Food selection and service was amazing, DLH was very disappointing for us.

Hands down, GCH. The whole resort is amazing. Your husband is going to love it and your daughter is going to feel so spoiled! The new pool bar really won my husband over. It was a great place for a 3 night getaway.

I need your help, oh wise Disneylanders. ODD will be going on a big choir trip for a week and that trip is going to fall over YDD's birthday. Originally, I was planning for DH & I to do an adults-only trip to WDW in late Jan/early Feb of next year (my sister would be taking care of the kids during that time), but now that this big choir thing has come up, those tentative plans are a little up in the air.

For YDD's birthday when this choir trip happens, YDD will be turning 13. Big milestone! YDD wants to go to WDW, but her b-day is in the summer and it's just too dang hot for me & DH to want to go to FL again...especially when we will probably be going to Orlando in June 2022 when DH will have a work convention to attend in Orlando.

DH said that he's burned out on DL. YDD wants to go to Universal Studios and to DL if WDW is a no (WDW is definitely a no go this time). So I'm trying to put together some plans for how I could make this more palatable for DH. We've stayed twice before at the DLH & really like it there. We've also stayed a few times at various off site hotels and have enjoyed our stays there, too.

Both times we've stayed at the DLH, we've walked past the GCH several times and every time we walk past, DH remarks, "We should stay THERE next time. Look at how close it is." What I would really like to do for YDD **and** DH is for us to stay 3 nights either at GCH or DLH in a club level room. In June 2018, we went to WDW and stayed 1 night in a club level room at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. That was awesome. DH loved having all of the "free" snacks and drinks that were available throughout most of the day.

So I feel almost certain that GCH club level would make DH pretty happy. He'd be able to quickly go take a break in the room. He, YDD, & I would be able to grab some snacks and treats when we wanted, etc., etc. The trip is far enough away that I can budget for the extra hotel cost, so that won't be an issue.

If any of you guys have stayed at GCH or DLH club level, what did you think of it? If you've stayed at both, which do you prefer?

Also, have any of you stayed at GCH in a room with 5 people? The reason I ask is we might end up bringing 2 additional people with us on the trip and they'd share the room with us, so we'd need a 2 queen + day bed set up.

Thoughts?

My vote is for GCH. It is nice to sit in the club when you want a break from the parks/crowds, and you're waiting for your room to be cleaned. The balcony is so peaceful, even when the monorail sails by. As for the food, myself and my girls really enjoy it. My husband and son would like different food choices. For example, regular deviled eggs, vs avocado devil eggs. It would be nice to have a soft serve machine or a dole whip machine in there too.
There are 5 of us and we make it work. You can ask for more of anything (shampoo, lotion, etc). I wish they would bring back the foot lotion and mouthwash.
I say, go for it. The worst that could happen is you try it and you do not like it. Wait, maybe the worst that could happen, (at least for your wallet) is that you do like it and won't stay anywhere else! LOL
Whatever you decide, have lots of fun!

I have not stayed at DLH CL, but I have at GCH. If you can splurge, GO FOR IT!

The great thing about GCH is that is so close. We found we used the CL a lot more than resorts at WDW simply because of proximity. We found a great selection of options, including lunch time ... which used to be quite sparse. We made several stops midday between FP's. Go ride TSMM, go get a beer at CL, then hit our Soarin' FP. It is so nice. And previously, we have taken drinks from the CL down to the pool (in a plastic cup) without any issues. I don't think that policy would have changed, but it was a few years ago so someone chime in if they no longer allow it.

The timing of a DL trip would work well because ODD's choir trip is 10 days from departure to arrival back home. And YDD's birthday next year would end up being right around Memorial Day. In the past, we've often gone to DL the Tues - Thurs or Tues - Friday of Memorial Day week. I like going at that time of year because:
  • the weather is nice. Not too hot, not too cold. Warm enough to swim if you want to, but not so hot that you'll be miserable walking through the parks in the afternoon.
  • not all kids are out of school yet. AZ and UT usually are.
  • the park hours are long. 8am-11pm or midnight for DL and DCA usually closes at 10pm.
  • This makes MM/EMH from 7-8 am at DL, which for me is like THE "magic hour!" I LOVE 7-8 am EMH/MM!
There's usually Grad Nights during that time of year, but it isn't all that bad. We've learned to just avoid DCA for the last 90 minutes that it's open to regular park guests on Grad Night days.

So you know how sometimes, you just feel like you have to make an "executive decision" on something for a trip? I feel like this is one of those times. DH will probably end up hooked on GCH after this. I can sequester the funds for 3 nights there. I looked up some YouTube videos online of the food selections in the GCH club level lounge and there's a pretty wide range of stuff that he'll like. YDD is a far more picky eater, but she'll be able to get by. Honestly, the club level thing would be more for DH's enjoyment than anybody else. :rotfl2: I'm happy sleeping just about anywhere if it means I can go to DL. YDD feels the same way.

YDD doesn't know about my club level room idea. I'll keep that a surprise. I'll break the news to DH some time soon...probably after our March DL trip with our friends. YDD's birthday trip for this is way far away, but I'm already mentally hatching plans on how to make it great for her. Normally, I squeeze out every $$ out of our budget that we can so we can keep the costs down as much as possible. That has helped for times like when we want to have breakfast at the Plaza Inn, for example.

Maybe I'll spring for one of those birthday celebration things that they can deliver to your room. She would love that. DH, on the other hand, will probably be happy just to spend an entire afternoon in the club lounge snacking and watching Disney+ on his tablet while YDD & I swim in the pool and go on rides. :rotfl:

I really appreciate all of your feedback so far! This is really helpful!

My DH would love avocado deviled eggs!

One of my daughters and I loved them. They are good, especially with a tiny dash of Tabasco on them. My husband refused to try them because he has a grudge against avocados. He grew up with an avocado tree in his yard, and he said it was such a mess to clean up all the avocados.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter