DLP - First Visit - Some good and some not so good impressions

Pixiedustedme - good point, Americans coming to Europe do tend to be affluent.

According to a 2018 study from a NY Post article, 11% of the Americans questioned had never left the state that they were born in. 40% had never left the country. Now, let's put that in perspective. Many states are bigger than most European countries (Russia excluded). Then add that our public transportation system is commuter based - getting to and from work, it generally isn't for travel. We don't have the same level of rail system for cheaper travel outside of the north eastern seaboard areas of the country.

According to the survey, the average American had been to 10 states. (I've been to 43 states.)

And as for not leaving the country - well, again, perspective. The US is huge. It isn't correct to compare Americans not leaving the US to a German not leaving Germany. It would be more accurate to compare with a German not leaving Europe.

I found an article online from 2018 that said that 37%ish of EU citizens had never left their country (not the EU, but their country). So, that is actually pretty much in line with the percentage of Americans that have never left the US, which again is about the size of non-Russia Europe.

Last edited:
Well as a american who is going to DLP in June, honestly I believe to travel with a open mind. Will i run into rude people, sure its a possibility but its also a possibility when I walk down the street everyday. I know I am going to DLP to experience it as a separate Disney adventure, I will not hold it up to WDW which I go to very often, I have had wonderful moments at WDW and I have had not so great moments, I expect the same when I travel anywhere, Yes I understand International Travel is expensive and people tend to get upset when a experience isnt what they hoped it to be after spending alot of money. I can understand that, but honestly you can have a horrible experience when spending very little money, just because you drop a wad of cash to fly over seas to a new place doesnt mean you should get a more special moment then someone who didnt spend nearly as much. People are people everywhere and money doesnt solve people. Some are rude some are Nice, and most you will never meet. I feel its important not to set any expectations when traveling abroad, live in the moment and learn to laugh at the things that may not be what you want them to be. Yes as a American i dont like smoke in my face and yes it can cause health problems but so can so many things that are completely legal, like the crap in our food, or the medicine with all of the side effects that we take. If someone ignores the rules then so be it, I will see if my thoughts change after my trip but to be honest knowing me I will just say C'est la Vie and let it roll of my back or in a more American way of saying, Don't Sweat the Small Stuff.

This is an interesting thread as we will be visiting London and Paris in July. This will be the second visit for our son but the first European trip for DW and myself. I am doing all I can to prepare myself for any differences in the parks and in the cultures. Of course there is no way I will be affluent in French, but I have been practicing on words and phrases so as not to appear to be a rude American, Ned i am hoping to be perceived as one who is trying to communicate in French.

We visit WDW quite often and have been to DLR only three times. But living in Alabama, the southeastern part of the US, it's just easier to visit Florida. We have found differences in each park of course, but the Disney Magic still abounds and we are looking forward to the experience.

Regarding the smoking, I think we are mentally prepared for that. We might as well be. Nothing will change before we arrive anyway, so to paraphrase the old saying, when in Paris, do as the Parisians do, and accept it.

but when americans are told not to smoke, for the most part they follow the rules.
the french?...LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

example.....
me: upon entering a restaurant in paris, i ask for the no smoking section.
maitre d': *laughs*
me: but i thought you have a no smoking section
him: *laughs*
me: *stare at him expectantly*
him: 'yes, we do have a no smoking section, but everyone there is smoking' (absolutely no apology in his tone)
me: "so you don't have any tables with no smoke?"
him: *laughs*

pretty representative of the french experience...

You haven't been able to smoke inside restaurants in France since 2007.

I never saw anyone smoke outside the designated areas. And we've been there 4 times in the last few months. I'm an ex-smoker and my husband smokes with an e-cigarette and even he uses it only in the designated areas.

I have met rude spains, loud germans and americans pushing forward to be in the first row at the parade. I've also met a nice family from america with two girls and the same familyname that we have (only in english). I've met the cutest little french girl with a sweet voice. I've met a nice couple from spain and a funny family from china.

I'm from germany and compared to our parks here, DLP is a dream. It's cleaner and the CMs are - mostly - so friendly. And the best factor: people with a handicap are welcome.

We've been to DLP four times now, and we love it, honestly, but the smoking is that thing that will probably keep us from going back. It's just awful. I didn't find the park dirty (yes, some areas needed a bit of love, but that's true at all the parks), and the CMs were lovely to us. But the smoking was so bad last time, I think it is just going to be a dealbreaker because it takes so much away from the visit. Hopefully, one of these days, attitudes will change or park policies will be enforced (or change, as they are at the World). Other than that, we have loved our visits.

We are from the U.S. and visited DLP the last week of April. We honestly really loved the parks. Yes, we noticed some extra trash. There were some rude CMs, but most were nice (and that happens at any Disney park). Disneyland is beautiful. The entrance is just gorgeous. We felt like the walkways were wider. So, even though it was Easter and very busy, it didn't seem nearly as crowded walking around like it would at WDW and especially DL under the same holiday conditions. I loved the arcade hallways behind the shops on both sides of Main Street - absolutely brilliant! I also thought the Space Mountain restraints were so comfortable. I wish they'd install them on more attractions. Studios definitely felt unorganized. I know they are doing a lot of work over there right now though. I did not like DLP's version of RnR at all (and WDW's version is one of my favorite rides). I'd love to see it when it changes to Iron Man!

We will definitely be back - we had a great time. Probably years down the road when Notre Dame reopens.

Lastly, why oh why can't they put Crush's Coaster in WDW?! That is such a fun ride!

I think DLP is harming the Disney brand, i heard of too many people who’s first Disney park was DLP due to location, who later decide to skip the Disney parks in the US because they think it would be the same.

Or even go to Universal instead of WDW.

I really hope they fix the experience in the park for this reason.
I don't! We don't need anymore overcrowding at WDW. Let them skip it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!