DLP President to take new expanded role

rteetz

DIS Veteran
https://twitter.com/statuses/976714578380894208

Catherine Powell has been the DLP while it has grown over the last few years and been brought back into a state of a world class experience. She will now oversee all western parks. She will still oversee DLP in some capacity. No successor has been announced yet.

IMO this isn’t a bad move. I’m not sure how much influence she will have on the Parks in this role but people love her at DLP.

Guess I'll repost this here:

The Disney management layers always fascinates me. How does she fit in and how much influence does she have with parks like WDW? George K. is the immediate Ops lead for WDW. But could she tell George what to do or overrule a decision he makes? And then I suppose Chapek could overrule both of them? I have always read on forums like these about how WDW management is cheap. For example, the reason that there are not 3 big rides in the Star Wars Land in DHS and Disneyland is because WDW did not want to have to keep staff that would be responsible for supporting the upkeep of the third ride. If that were true, could Powell step in and say she didn't agree with that and force that third Star Wars ride to become a reality?

Guess I'll repost this here:

The Disney management layers always fascinates me. How does she fit in and how much influence does she have with parks like WDW? George K. is the immediate Ops lead for WDW. But could she tell George what to do or overrule a decision he makes? And then I suppose Chapek could overrule both of them? I have always read on forums like these about how WDW management is cheap. For example, the reason that there are not 3 big rides in the Star Wars Land in DHS and Disneyland is because WDW did not want to have to keep staff that would be responsible for supporting the upkeep of the third ride. If that were true, could Powell step in and say she didn't agree with that and force that third Star Wars ride to become a reality?
As for Star Wars I’d guess that’s not her decision. That’s likely Chapek.

At some point it boils down to cost / benefit. If people are flocking to two, and management correctly predicted they would, why build three? Why build one penny more than needed to fill the parking lot? Cathy Powell would recognize that spending more would not return more, so she would not have pushed for three. All in my humble opinion of course. You don't rise by being the outlier, but by spouting the company line...

At some point it boils down to cost / benefit. If people are flocking to two, and management correctly predicted they would, why build three? Why build one penny more than needed to fill the parking lot? Cathy Powell would recognize that spending more would not return more, so she would not have pushed for three. All in my humble opinion of course. You don't rise by being the outlier, but by spouting the company line...
Your points are very true. However I think it would be prudent for them to re-examine a third ride in the near future if the lands as successful as it’ll undoubtedly be. Simply for more capacity

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter