DLP reclosing Nov, and again January 21.

Do you think they’re pre-emptively anticipating a lockdown for Jan-Feb 2021? Or I suppose (given a tiny bit more thought) this is a money thing- get the money from the Christmas crowds then close again so they can hopefully keep the numbers down before spring starts.

Yeah, they've done everything that is "necessary" and it's still running wild. All they are doing is adding injury to injury.
It is running wild again. Not still.

It won't be long for the hospitals are overloaded. In Belgium some are already at their max, Czech republic is borrowing oxygen machines. Closing down Europe is the best option now.

It totally sucks for economy, the alternatieve is deciding who will live and who is not worth it to save.

Do you think they’re pre-emptively anticipating a lockdown for Jan-Feb 2021? Or I suppose (given a tiny bit more thought) this is a money thing- get the money from the Christmas crowds then close again so they can hopefully keep the numbers down before spring starts.
More likely because it is low season in Jan/Feb. The weather is awful in this period. This is probably cheaper.

The Christmas period is a school holiday in most of Europe.

Last edited:
I'd guess money is the main driver for the Jan shutdown, although equally it sounds like they expect the Nov lockdown could be extended into December.

Weather in DLP is usually really grim in jan/feb with thick fog and snow quite likely so visitor numbers are usually very low anyway.

The next issue though is how much this delays their existing ramp up plans. Will they now go through most of 2021 with only a couple of hotels open?

So covid doesn’t exist at Christmas ?
The plans for latest shutdowns in many European countries are for short hard shutdowns for a few weeks.

They want to achieve just enough of a reduction to give hospital's ability to cope. Covid will of course spike again over Christmas which will likely result in further shutdowns in January.

My country is just ending week 1 of a second lockdown. The lockdowns are being called circuit breakers, to stop the movement of people for a short time, which will lower the transmission of the disease. The lockdowns are happening now before Christmas, in order to SAVE Christmas. The lockdowns are happening now to reduce the numbers so that the health systems are not overloaded.

Covid will still be here at Christmas, but the European Governments want lower numbers, so that restrictions will not have to be as strict at Christmas and that families will not have to be separated as much.

My country is just ending week 1 of a second lockdown. The lockdowns are being called circuit breakers, to stop the movement of people for a short time, which will lower the transmission of the disease. The lockdowns are happening now before Christmas, in order to SAVE Christmas. The lockdowns are happening now to reduce the numbers so that the health systems are not overloaded.

Covid will still be here at Christmas, but the European Governments want lower numbers, so that restrictions will not have to be as strict at Christmas and that families will not have to be separated as much.

Probably not the best way for me to state this, but I like the term circuit breakers. That is exactly what needs to be done, holistically, in my opinion. But this merely buys time which is still a solid strategy.

Probably not the best way for me to state this, but I like the term circuit breakers. That is exactly what needs to be done, holistically, in my opinion. But this merely buys time which is still a solid strategy.
Yep. It also allows businesses to resume as was immediately after so employees know where they stand.

Those aren't hard dates. They could change their mind any time for any reason. And they probably will. Senseless to try to schedule anything this far out.

Those aren't hard dates. They could change their mind any time for any reason. And they probably will. Senseless to try to schedule anything this far out.
I think by now, from mid July DLP has a good idea how much money is coming in with the reduced capacity. Especially now that in October it's low season and the reduced hours of the Studios (only 5 hours a day during the week).
They would only close the first 6 weeks of 2021 already if they were sure how much money was going to bring. With the help of the government they get to keep CMs on the pay roll, it probably makes more financial sense to stay closed during low season.

It won't be long for the hospitals are overloaded. In Belgium some are already at their max, Czech republic is borrowing oxygen machines. Closing down Europe is the best option now.

It totally sucks for economy, the alternatieve is deciding who will live and who is not worth it to save.

To follow up on what I posted earlier today. Today Belgian hospitals have send out a cry for help. Within the next 7 to 10 days, the ICUs will reach their limit and they have announced that not all people will get the care they need. They will indeed have to make choices on who gets ICU care and who won't.

President of DLP, Natacha Rafalski, has sent an e-mail to the CMs in DLP with some reassuring words. It's been translated from French to Dutch and now I'm translating it to English :P Some things might have gotten lost in translation.

You have all worked so hard to give our guests a wonderful feeling, and I want to tell you how grateful me and the entire management team are for everything you have achieved: giving a remarkable guest experience with all the measures taking.

We work together with the social partners to get the best possible options for our employees. Our company's exceptional resilience is second to none and I have confidence in our future.
The autumn break has shown us that our guests also want to visit us when times are hard. This is an additional reason to be optimistic and positive how we will rise from this.

We would never have been able to do this in the past. You have every right to be proud on what we have achieved until now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter