DLP - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

SuperMuscleMan

Superman Cosplayer, Filmaker, Gym & Rugby Dude
I'm a massive DLP fan and I want to know what you like and dislike about your experiences at the park compared to WDW. I see lots on the boards saying they won't go to DLP but over the past few years I think it's changed and turned a corner.

The good:
- E ticket Attractions - Better than the USA versions. BTM, Pirates, Space Mountain, PM & Small World could be classed as better than their cousins.
- Decor and gardens - with so much extra space the parks have amazing walk through attractions and you don't often feel the park is at full capacity. The gardens are huge and it's a big park.
- The castle - it's real stone!
Transport - I can leave my front door in Sussex, UK and be in the park within 3-4 hours. All by public transport.

The bad:
- The language barrier - If your not a fully french person you do find that some classic characters speak French. I like it when they mix English and French, but at times when all the characters are french you do think your missing out. I find this for Star tours.
- Disney village - so dated!
- Studios park - It's too small and it's a mess. Roll on the completed lake.
- French Speed - when a ride goes down for scheduled maintenance it's never fast. 2 years for railroad! Phantom manor took ages too.
- Food - very poor in comparison to WDW and overpriced for rubbish.
- New attractions - We all know the parks are in need of new hardwear. The castle park needs new stuff that is of quality. Maybe runaway railway will come or an Indiana Jones type attraction. Personally I'd love to see something unique that makes the WDW fans want to come here. Yes the studios park is having alot of investment but that's really to only make it actually come upto scratch.

Ugly:
- Culture - sorry French people but last October I saw 2 sets of parents showing their young kids to pee just off the side of the hub and on main Street. The toilets were in eyesight for one of them. Would you see that in WDW.
- Food Service - My number one gripe is how it can take so long for food to be served and how in efficient the servers at counters can be. Disney could double the profits in food if so many people did not give up. A joint like Casey's should take 10 mins max on a quite day yet it can easily take 40 mins for a simple order.

I'd love your thoughts and to know what you would love done

This is very interesting to me, as we cannot currently fly to Florida so have booked our first ever trip to DLP. Your “good” list gives me hope but the “ugly” fills me with horror; I don’t know why people think this is ok, and more concerned than ever in these virus times 😡

This is very interesting to me, as we cannot currently fly to Florida so have booked our first ever trip to DLP. Your “good” list gives me hope but the “ugly” fills me with horror; I don’t know why people think this is ok, and more concerned than ever in these virus times 😡
The ugly is exagerrated, in my opinion, I think the thing with the kid is a one time. I have never seen anyone do that at DLP. You can discuss the smoking and the French 'rudeness', but this is definitely not a custom. If you were in Shanghai... then yes, but also there a completely different culture.
The food service, yes, it is slow at counter service, Toad Hall is also incredibly slow which always amazes me. But 40 minutes for an order is definitely not the case. Waiting 40 minutes in line at rush hour during lunch or dinner I can see happening, but still that would be the absolute max on extremely busy days. It is easily avoided by eating at off times, or snack to bridge you between meals.

For the bad, I think the food is ok, but yes, it pales in comparison to WDW.

I haven't been to DLRP since 2012, but, I have been plenty of time from September 1997 up until then. With regard to the ugly, I have seen parents change nappies on tables in restaurants, I kid you not. So parents allowing their kids to pee in public, yes, I can well believe it.

I would never go there any time between mid March and mid September, that is when people from the Mediterranean countries tend to visit and their behaviour leaves a heck of a lot to be desired. I've been during every season and I would rather be there in the winter with the cold weather than any other time. I'm curious to know how people are regarding Disney's smoking ban as Europeans think nothing of lighting up a fag in line, not to mention queue jumping.

It is true about the rides being better in Paris, in fact WDW would be third on my list for rides behind Paris and Anaheim. As for the food, I'm looking at the offer for February where you get free breakfast and and 100 Euro card and using it for counter service and snacks. I find the breakfasts are pretty good in the resorts. I recall Disney Village not being great for food, even Annette's Diner, which was great at one time seemed to go downhill, they used to do a fantastic breakfast menu, but, sadly stopped doing that about 2005. The Earl of Sandwich, always great in Disney Springs was a huge disappointment in Disney Village, however it had just opened, so I would hope it has improved.

My plan is to go for three or four days, stay at Hotel Cheyenne because SL is not available and just do my thing. Sadly no flights from Cardiff anymore, but, Bristol will be fine. If I lived closer to an airport or train hub for Marne La Vallee I'd be an AP holder.

By the way, did anyone go on the Indiana Jones rollercoaster when some bright spark thought it a great idea to run it backwards? I did it once and I wasn't the only one, by a long way, to come off it not feeling the best. I'm also hugely disappointed they no longer have Cinemagique, I absolutely loved that attraction. I am hoping it has improved as my last trip was the worst trip ever to any Disney Park for a variety of reasons, which is why it's taken me so long to think about returning.

Good:
Disneyland Parc is the most beautiful Disney park, in my opinion. The castle and the theming everywhere is just gorgeous.
Big Thunder Mountain is awesome, with the tunnel section

Bad:
Studios Park doesn't have much to do, though they are working on that

The food situation at DLP is just weird. The sit down restaurants all closed bizarrely early and the quick service was pretty generic. We did like the food at the Agrabah Cafe, but just getting inside took forever. In actual Paris all of our dining experiences were fantastic, so I don't think it's at all a French cultural thing.

It's a French thing??? I saw it last Halloween twice but have been many times and it's not happened (the pee stuff). Don't be put off, I'm just a grumpy English Man ;-). Honestly when you see the castle and the dragon plus ride space mountain your be like... "Why did we travel to Florida!!!" They outweigh the ugly.

I haven't been to DLRP since 2012, but, I have been plenty of time from September 1997 up until then. With regard to the ugly, I have seen parents change nappies on tables in restaurants, I kid you not. So parents allowing their kids to pee in public, yes, I can well believe it.

I would never go there any time between mid March and mid September, that is when people from the Mediterranean countries tend to visit and their behaviour leaves a heck of a lot to be desired. I've been during every season and I would rather be there in the winter with the cold weather than any other time. I'm curious to know how people are regarding Disney's smoking ban as Europeans think nothing of lighting up a fag in line, not to mention queue jumping.

It is true about the rides being better in Paris, in fact WDW would be third on my list for rides behind Paris and Anaheim. As for the food, I'm looking at the offer for February where you get free breakfast and and 100 Euro card and using it for counter service and snacks. I find the breakfasts are pretty good in the resorts. I recall Disney Village not being great for food, even Annette's Diner, which was great at one time seemed to go downhill, they used to do a fantastic breakfast menu, but, sadly stopped doing that about 2005. The Earl of Sandwich, always great in Disney Springs was a huge disappointment in Disney Village, however it had just opened, so I would hope it has improved.

My plan is to go for three or four days, stay at Hotel Cheyenne because SL is not available and just do my thing. Sadly no flights from Cardiff anymore, but, Bristol will be fine. If I lived closer to an airport or train hub for Marne La Vallee I'd be an AP holder.

By the way, did anyone go on the Indiana Jones rollercoaster when some bright spark thought it a great idea to run it backwards? I did it once and I wasn't the only one, by a long way, to come off it not feeling the best. I'm also hugely disappointed they no longer have Cinemagique, I absolutely loved that attraction. I am hoping it has improved as my last trip was the worst trip ever to any Disney Park for a variety of reasons, which is why it's taken me so long to think about returning.
I'm not saying every kid is peeing in the street but I agree October to March are the best times I've had.

I kid you not we were in Casey's in Feb and the menu (which compared to WDW is alot smaller) was painfully slow it was around 40 minutes and it was a winter weekday. Maybe I hit the wrong time but I do find service slow. Crazy because the ride staff could not be quicker.

I'm hoping mobile order launches soon.

Yes I rode indie backwards, it was ok but it's not the most amazing ride. I really enjoy the q line on that.

It's a cultural thing I think. Us Brits are used to ques, and are normally polite when sober. I've never noticed an issue with smoking outside the special areas. I'm not a smoker and are normally sensative but I can't recall that.

Last tip thing I wish Disney would do is switch out the current illuminations for the previous nighttime show... Far superior and multi language.

Ok, I had to think about it for a day, so here is my list. I am an Infinity AP holder for several years now, and I know I am biased about my homepark :P
I have seen all six Disney parks in the world (and now working on the cruise ship list), and whenever someone asks me which one is the best, I say something like 'each park has its own charm and good & bad things', which is true, but as DLP is my homepark I do not notice some of the 'bad' things anymore, or it's too minor in my opinion.

The Good:
- The look of the park: Hands down, DLP is the prettiest of all the parks. Not talking about the Studios, but the main park, but I think that goes for California Adventure as well, but also Hollywood Studios & Epcot in Florida, when looking at the 'Magic KIngdom'-type parks, DLP is gorgeous. It feels most 'park'. All the little grasslands, how the castle, but also Phantom Manor is situated.
- The lay out: DLP has learned a lot from the parks that came before her. My downsides of Magic Kingdom and the original Disneyland is that they feel cramped so quickly because of the small streets. With the two arcades helping with the overflow of Main Street at busy times, they really thought about guest flow. But also that all the hotels are within walking distance
- Best Big Thunder Mountain and Pirates for sure, with the other rides, I wouldn't exactly say 'better' but we have a very good selection. With Crush Coaster and Phantom Manor. The additions to Tower of Terror are neat.
- Shows: The last few years you can see that DLP has made a step up in entertainment. In general I think Mickey and the Magician is a very good show, superior to Mickey and the Magical Map & Wondrous Book. We have a good parade. I am not a fan of Illuminations, but that's more personal. I think Disney Dreams, original version, is something that cannot be topped. And seasonal stuff: The Christmas Parade, Mickey's Big Band. Jungle Book Jive & the Lion King show last summer. Pirates & Princesses, the Princess Starlit Waltz are the first which comes to mind. And the little Frozen show they have now (pre-covid) in the Studios was neat too, yes, it was a 1/2-time show and not a repeat-type show, but I really like how they did it and set it up.
- Seasons: I think Disney is doing a better job here in the past few years. Jungle Book & Lion King, Pirate &Princesses, etc. I do think they can step it up decorations for these seasons.
- AP privileges, having a separate entrance, and VIP spots for the general Parade & Fireworks, are so nice to have. Only downside for the parade: I always see it from the same angle :P

The bad / ugly (a very similar category, so combining this)
- The Studios: It never had a special Disney feel, and it needs work. I am not a Marvel & Star Wars fan, but I am looking forward to Frozen. If they take the Ratatouille area, it will be really nice. we usually skip the park or just hop in for a quick visit, see Mickey and the Magician, and then leave.
- Food: I am generally ok with the food, but I think that's more that I know which places/times to avoid. As mentioned certain restaurants are just weirdly slow, while others aren't. But we never wait more than 20 minutes, if it's too busy, we just wait for a better time, go to a different restaurant or snack. And table service is just too overpriced. We usually stick to the Studios, love Annettes, Rain Forest Cafe and Ludwigs. But also Five Guys or Viapiano are on our regular list..
- Guests... probably not unique to DLP, people trying to push their children in front of my carefully guarded spot for shows, etc. I speak up very easily, so if they do not stop it after a few angry looks, I do say something. Which usually helps, but it sure is annoying.

Other topics addressed by others.
Just FYI, there is no smoking ban in Paris.
The smoking never really bothered me as much, but as it becomes such a rarity in the Netherlands to smoke in the streets, I do notice it more at DLP. However, over the years I do think there is a change in mentality for smoking in Paris. It's still very much a part of their culture, but it does feel to me it gets less. Also I have seen several CMs pointing guests to the right smoking areas. And I do think that Covid will play a part in this development, a. it is a lung disease, but also b. smoking while wearing a mask :P not very doable!

I am definitely not bothered by the language in general, everything is bilingual enough to get what is going on. And I grew up with many movies seeing them dubbed in Dutch, so for me English voices are already a different from my childhood. My only exception is Mickey and the Magician, I think they should have done more dialogue in English. If they do it all in English (like the Frozen hub-show this winter is fully in English), they receive backlash from their French fanbase, so it is a balance.
Ten years ago it was quite possible to run into CMs who only spoke French, but these are getting rare as well. For the past few years everyone who have encountered is bilingual (enough) to communicate in both French and English.

Disney Village, I am kinda meh about it, I am not a shopper, I really do not care for merchandise. So also the other shopping areas around the world are just to walk through for me. So yes, it could use some work and love, but that wouldn't be for my benefit.

I do not really agree with that we need more new rides to attracts WDW goers. WDW is a destination in itself, but the other parks around the world are mainly visited by the die-hard fans who have on their bucket list to see all the parks in the world. Or because it's in the area they are vacationing. I do think DLP at the moment is unique enough in itself to attract people to visit it.

Ok, I had to think about it for a day, so here is my list. I am an Infinity AP holder for several years now, and I know I am biased about my homepark :P
I have seen all six Disney parks in the world (and now working on the cruise ship list), and whenever someone asks me which one is the best, I say something like 'each park has its own charm and good & bad things', which is true, but as DLP is my homepark I do not notice some of the 'bad' things anymore, or it's too minor in my opinion.

The Good:
- The look of the park: Hands down, DLP is the prettiest of all the parks. Not talking about the Studios, but the main park, but I think that goes for California Adventure as well, but also Hollywood Studios & Epcot in Florida, when looking at the 'Magic KIngdom'-type parks, DLP is gorgeous. It feels most 'park'. All the little grasslands, how the castle, but also Phantom Manor is situated.
- The lay out: DLP has learned a lot from the parks that came before her. My downsides of Magic Kingdom and the original Disneyland is that they feel cramped so quickly because of the small streets. With the two arcades helping with the overflow of Main Street at busy times, they really thought about guest flow. But also that all the hotels are within walking distance
- Best Big Thunder Mountain and Pirates for sure, with the other rides, I wouldn't exactly say 'better' but we have a very good selection. With Crush Coaster and Phantom Manor. The additions to Tower of Terror are neat.
- Shows: The last few years you can see that DLP has made a step up in entertainment. In general I think Mickey and the Magician is a very good show, superior to Mickey and the Magical Map & Wondrous Book. We have a good parade. I am not a fan of Illuminations, but that's more personal. I think Disney Dreams, original version, is something that cannot be topped. And seasonal stuff: The Christmas Parade, Mickey's Big Band. Jungle Book Jive & the Lion King show last summer. Pirates & Princesses, the Princess Starlit Waltz are the first which comes to mind. And the little Frozen show they have now (pre-covid) in the Studios was neat too, yes, it was a 1/2-time show and not a repeat-type show, but I really like how they did it and set it up.
- Seasons: I think Disney is doing a better job here in the past few years. Jungle Book & Lion King, Pirate &Princesses, etc. I do think they can step it up decorations for these seasons.
- AP privileges, having a separate entrance, and VIP spots for the general Parade & Fireworks, are so nice to have. Only downside for the parade: I always see it from the same angle :P

The bad / ugly (a very similar category, so combining this)
- The Studios: It never had a special Disney feel, and it needs work. I am not a Marvel & Star Wars fan, but I am looking forward to Frozen. If they take the Ratatouille area, it will be really nice. we usually skip the park or just hop in for a quick visit, see Mickey and the Magician, and then leave.
- Food: I am generally ok with the food, but I think that's more that I know which places/times to avoid. As mentioned certain restaurants are just weirdly slow, while others aren't. But we never wait more than 20 minutes, if it's too busy, we just wait for a better time, go to a different restaurant or snack. And table service is just too overpriced. We usually stick to the Studios, love Annettes, Rain Forest Cafe and Ludwigs. But also Five Guys or Viapiano are on our regular list..
- Guests... probably not unique to DLP, people trying to push their children in front of my carefully guarded spot for shows, etc. I speak up very easily, so if they do not stop it after a few angry looks, I do say something. Which usually helps, but it sure is annoying.

Other topics addressed by others.
Just FYI, there is no smoking ban in Paris.
The smoking never really bothered me as much, but as it becomes such a rarity in the Netherlands to smoke in the streets, I do notice it more at DLP. However, over the years I do think there is a change in mentality for smoking in Paris. It's still very much a part of their culture, but it does feel to me it gets less. Also I have seen several CMs pointing guests to the right smoking areas. And I do think that Covid will play a part in this development, a. it is a lung disease, but also b. smoking while wearing a mask :P not very doable!

I am definitely not bothered by the language in general, everything is bilingual enough to get what is going on. And I grew up with many movies seeing them dubbed in Dutch, so for me English voices are already a different from my childhood. My only exception is Mickey and the Magician, I think they should have done more dialogue in English. If they do it all in English (like the Frozen hub-show this winter is fully in English), they receive backlash from their French fanbase, so it is a balance.
Ten years ago it was quite possible to run into CMs who only spoke French, but these are getting rare as well. For the past few years everyone who have encountered is bilingual (enough) to communicate in both French and English.

Disney Village, I am kinda meh about it, I am not a shopper, I really do not care for merchandise. So also the other shopping areas around the world are just to walk through for me. So yes, it could use some work and love, but that wouldn't be for my benefit.

I do not really agree with that we need more new rides to attracts WDW goers. WDW is a destination in itself, but the other parks around the world are mainly visited by the die-hard fans who have on their bucket list to see all the parks in the world. Or because it's in the area they are vacationing. I do think DLP at the moment is unique enough in itself to attract people to visit it.

I do like how unique it is and agree with you about the smokers. I would say little bits of the studios park excites me. But on the whole your right.

I agree with you on the table service prices. And I did forget to mention the shows which are a standard not matched elsewhere.

Only bit I'd disagree with you on is adding a new e-ticket. When the park was designed it had lots of expansion pads ready and they were going to add Indiana Jones along with others so I'd like runaway railway or something like the new beauty and the beast ride added to inject some french culture into it! How about pooh?

Only bit I'd disagree with you on is adding a new e-ticket. When the park was designed it had lots of expansion pads ready and they were going to add Indiana Jones along with others so I'd like runaway railway or something like the new beauty and the beast ride added to inject some french culture into it! How about pooh?

Oh, I agree we could use more new, but not to attract more overseas guests. I always thought they should expand the Ratatouille area and make it a French-movie dedicated land: Hunchback, Beauty and the Beast, Aristocats which are all set in France.
I never cared for Pooh, he is not a thing in the Netherlands. And although he & friends have regular meets, I am not sure about his popularity in France.

Oh, I agree we could use more new, but not to attract more overseas guests. I always thought they should expand the Ratatouille area and make it a French-movie dedicated land: Hunchback, Beauty and the Beast, Aristocats which are all set in France.
I never cared for Pooh, he is not a thing in the Netherlands. And although he & friends have regular meets, I am not sure about his popularity in France.

I'd like that empty space around small world filled personally with a beauty and the beast theme. Hunchback I don't think was a huge draw over here in the UK. Untill Notre dame is completed some could say it may be a bit distasteful. Aristocats would fit perfectly into a land expansion in the studios next to Ratatouille. Pooh is popular here in UK. (I was in the actual 500 acre wood yesterday!) Although what's interesting on past visits I've noticed alot of French and Japanese visitors to where Pooh's house is. So maybe the Japan version of the pooh ride would be cool, less expensive than the new beast one but an addition non the less. I think Pete said it's his favourite ride?

- Shows: The last few years you can see that DLP has made a step up in entertainment. In general I think Mickey and the Magician is a very good show, superior to Mickey and the Magical Map & Wondrous Book.

Mickey and the Magician is fantastic, I think my favorite show I've seen in any Disney park. I'm not at all fluent in French (I can usually get the gist in writing, but only catch a word here and there when listening), but I didn't find it at all difficult to follow with the mix of languages. I didn't want it to end.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!