DLP to Versailles

castawayfan

Mouseketeer
We willl be going to London and Paris in July, taking our DD for her first trip overseas. We are taking the train from London to DLP. We want to go into Paris for two days of touring, also go to Versailles and then of course spend some time at DLP. We are thinking of making DLP our "home base" and taking the train into Paris a couple of time, but how can we get to Versailles? Is there a easy train connection? Also how long does it take to get from DLP to Paris and from DLP to the airport. Thanks we are pretty excited about our first trip to DLP!

Versailles is really neat. I hope you enjoy yourself. The grounds are so extensive and the rooms inside are marvelous. My favorite part of it was the Hall of Mirrors. It was awesome.

I'm don't have any answers for your questions though.

Sue

DLP to Paris city centre takes about 45-50 minutes and is a very straightforward journey.

There has been a fiar amount of discussion about DLP-airport journeys, which inluce information about train, shuttle and taxi options. The search facility should bring up the right threads for you.

Not sure about public transport options from DLP to Versailles. If there is nothing convenient you could consider hiring a car for a day or two. There is a Hertz agency at DLP.

Regards

Rob

The RER (line A ends at DLP) goes to Versailles, but you'd have to switch to another line... no biggie. I'd bet you could find a faster and cheaper way, though.

DLP is around 15 miles east of Paris, Versaille around 5-8 miles west, so anyway you have to cross the city, use the highway ring around the city centre by car..
I would suggest to go by RER train, public transportation .. this will take around 90 minutes from DLP and be prepared to wait a little bit at Versaille, before being able to enter, it is very popular with groups .. so tickets might be available only for special timeframes on the day you go .. i am sure the concierge at DLP hotel can help with all information.

So anyway it will be nearly a full day you are losing for this trip to Versaille, make sure you really want to spend so much time !

If you do want to go by car, there is Avis and Hertz available at DLP, search for Chessy TGV / RER station or Disneyland Paris !

Stephan

Hi, we just came back, I will put in my 2 cents. Since you are in Paris for only a few days, I think you are better off making paris your home base, rather than DLP. I would suggest the Opera area (where we stayed for 11 days) because you can take the RER A into DLP for a one day Disneyland fix, then buy a 2 day pass on the L'open tour with hop on/off privileges (they run from 9:30 until 6 pm everyday), and then there are 4 metro stations nearby within 2-3 blocks radius so you can get a connecting train to take the RER C to Versailles.

1) Get to Versailles before 9:30 am (mob starts around 9:30 to 10:00 am. We got there on Friday 10:00 am and there were many tour groups in French, German, Russian, Taiwanese & Japanese.

2) The L'Open tour's Grand Tour starts from Rue Auber (get on the first bus and you can all sit on the top of the open double decker) we got tons of fantastic pictures. Otherwise it would not be possible to take pictures of large structures with your self in it (Eiffel Tower, Arc, Notre Dame, and etc.) Don't have to be paranoid about pickpockets and these buses run very often. We stayed at a hotel only 1 1/2 blocks away from the Rue Auber L'Open tour main office and RER A station.

3) More eating options (price wise and diversity wise) if you stay in Paris

4) You can save more money and time by staying in Paris rather than DLP. I think the theme parks are pretty doable in one to two days.

5) You are going during the summer months, expect mobs at DLP and the subways.

Hope this helps. Wish I could be an ant in your luggage.

Cynthia

I would definitely not stay at DLP hotels for the entire stay, either. I stayed at a hotel about 2 blocks from Notre Dame for soemthing like $90 a night, and that was just walking in off the street without any shopping around. And it is so difficult to eat cheaply at DLP. Sometimes you just want to pick up a baguette and run, you know? I loved being at Disneyland Hotel when I was at DLP, but I would never pass on the experience of staying in the heart of Paris. Honestly, I felt a bit restricted at DLP... I couldn't just hop over to a normal store to buy things when needed. (I needed razors and could only get very "cheap" [ouch] disposable ones at the hotel, and they still cost me almost $10!) And being able to stop by my room in Paris was just as essential (actually moreso) as being able to do so while at DLP.

It's easy enough to stay at a DLP hotel and then transfer to a Paris one.

Thanks for all the help. We are going to do DLP for two days and then move into Paris. July hurry up and get here!!!!

I'm glad to hear it -- I think you'll be really pleased. I want to go back with you!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!