DLR Attractions With Stairs & Alternate Boarding/Exiting

theluckyrabbit

DIS Veteran
Here is information about the rides and attractions at DLR that have stairs in the queue or at the exit and ways to avoid this if you need to.

From another thread:

...if you have problems with stairs you have to tell the first CM you come to when entering a line, and they'll tell you what to do...
Indy, former Screamin', Toy Story are the first that come to mind. RSR, too. The latter two are when you're leaving the ride.

Now I'm going through a list of attractions and thinking of their lines.

Jungle Cruise can have stairs when the line is long enough. Autopia. Big Thunder. Nemo. Grizzly. Former-TOT, right? Peter Pan to get to the loading area. I'm sure there's an easy entrance to notice, but my son always climbs the stairs for the SS Swings. Doesn't Tiki have stairs up and down to get in then out?

You also have to use the handicap car for tsm and racers to avoid the stairs.

There are stairless options on all rides. I was still disabled from military service upon first coming to CA and getting a DL AP. Used all the disabled entrances and paths. No stairs at all...

All have alternate routes, but you do need to tell the CM at the entrance you need an alternate way. Tiki and SS Swings have elevators.

Last edited:
The Finding Nemo Submarines have an alternate viewing room on the right side of the ride. This is a small room (but spacious, compared to the subs!) with a viewing "window" that shows you what you would see outside of the sub windows, while the narration plays over the speakers. Ask a CM out front where to go for this.

The Sleeping Beauty walk through at the castle also has an alternate viewing room on the right side of the castle (as you are facing the carousel). Walk through the archway and the viewing room will be on your right side as soon as you enter FL.

There is a bench seat on the carousel for those who cannot climb on and off the horses. The CM can lead you and help you step up to it, if necessary.

Blue Bayou has an alternate entrance for those in wheelchairs, on ECVs, and for those who cannot manage any steps (there are 2 or 3 small steps from the foyer/waiting area into the dining room). The alternate entrance is to the left of the main entrance, entering the dining room from the exit of POTC (through the louvered doors).

Last edited:

Yes, the Main Street Station has ramps, but they are rather steep. Other posters have commented that it is just easier to board at the other stations.
To my knowledge, there are no ramps replacing the stairs to the train at Main St.

If a person needs to avoid stairs, they need to tell the CM at the entrance so they can be avoided. You should also be aware there could be stairs on the emergency exit.

Here are the ones I can remember.

Star Tours - You wait in the regular line, and there is an elevator to bypass the stairs.

Space Mountain - You will need to use the HA entrance, get a return time, and use the slide rocket. The stairs are in the exit. You will return to the entry side and exit without the stairs.

Launch Bay - When you exit, you need to use the entry ramp, not the stairs.

Nemo - There are stairs to get into the sub. If you can't do stairs, there is the Marine Outpost Observatory. Ask at the entrance.

Autopia - Advise the CM at the entrance. There are ramps to avoid stairs, then an elevator.

Small World - Stairs at the exit. Let the CM at the entrance know. They will have you go to the left, then exit to the side with the wheelchairs.

Matterhorn - There is a load time limit, so you will need to load quickly. No stairs, but the ride will cascade to a stop if you can't load quickly enough.

Big Thunder - Let the CM know. You will use the exit. Bigger issue - There are stairs in the emergency exit. Also, you will need to load quickly, so the ride doesn't e-stop. They do warn you.

Splash Mountain - Let the CM know. You will need to use the HA entrance. I believe there are stairs in the e-stop exit.

Haunted Mansion - I *think* there are stairs in the queue. Ask the CM to avoid. You can also ask to have the walking ramp slowed or stopped if needed.

Indy - Let the CM know just after the room with the video. There is a gate and the CM will be looking for wheelchairs. Explain you can't do stairs. They will let you use the elevator.

Jungle Cruise - Stairs only become an issue when the queue is very long. Ask the CM at the entrance.

Train stations - Main Street has no access without stairs. At New Orleans and Tomorrowland, use the exit if you can't do the 5-6 stairs.

In DCA -

Guardians - Tell the CM who is sending you to the first viewing area you can't do stairs. They will send you to the right. Also, be aware there are stairs involved in an e-stop.

Grizzly - Tell the CM, they will send you around the stairs.

Redwood Creek - Follow the signs.

Goofy's Skyskool - Ask the CM.

Silly Symphony Swings - There is an elevator.

TSMM - Let the CM know. They will send you to the HA area to load and unload.

Incrediacoaster - Tell the CM, they will have you use the elevator or load you from the HA area. Be aware, there is a time limit on the loading. If I am having a bad knee day, I avoid as I can't load quickly enough. Also, there are stairs for the e-stop.

Racers - Let the CM know as there are stairs at the exit. They will have you use the HA loading area.

These are the ones I can think of right now. Feel free to ask about any area.

The PP got a lot, but a few more issues as someone who has BTDT:

Space Mountain: The ramps going up to the ride in the regular line can also be an issue if inclines cause you pain. It also can be hard to get in an out of the ride with knee or hip issues

Matterhorn: *Very* hard to get out of if you have any leg issues. I have literally had to crawl out in the past

Star Tours: This ramp is the steepest incline of any line and pure torture to walk and stand if you have knee, ankle or hip issues, so ask the CM to use the elevator.

Astro Orbiter: Just don't if you have any issues at all. Tried it once and it took my husband pulling me up and out. Even now that I'm back to about 95%, I won't go on it

Splash Mountain: Steep ramp down to do in the disabled entrance and back up it to leave. Add in the water as it is the regular line exit and it can be slippery and people exiting can be a hazard if you are unstable on your feet. Exercise caution.

Big Thunder: Incline to go down the disabled entrance which is also the exit for the regular line. Very skinny parts, exercise caution to not get bowled over

Good points about certain ride vehicles being difficult for loading and unloading. For any guests who think they may need extra time to enter/exit the ride vehicles, mention this to a CM at the beginning of the line. There are ways to help with this at some rides, e.g. SM where you will be directed to the HC loading area. The loading/unloading cycle on certain rides is very short, so it is better to ask beforehand about needing assistance than to shut down the ride by accident.

Downtown Disney Monorail Station - there are stairs to get up to the loading platform. While I've never used it, I would guess there is an elevator available.

Tarzan's Treehouse is almost entirely stairs. There is an elevator that let's guests see some of the treehouse, but I think the vast majority is only accessible by climbing the stairs.

Haunted Mansion - I *think* there are stairs in the queue. Ask the CM to avoid. You can also ask to have the walking ramp slowed or stopped if needed.
I don't think the normal and FP queue have stairs. However, when the line is really short they sometimes skip the majority of the queue and guests enter the house by climbing up the two or three steps at the front the mansion. The wheelchair ramp is directly to the right, so that's probably an option for those that cannot do the steps.

Downtown Disney Monorail Station - there are stairs to get up to the loading platform. While I've never used it, I would guess there is an elevator available.
The stairs are to the left and there is an elevator in the center if you are looking for it.

I don't think the normal and FP queue have stairs. However, when the line is really short they sometimes skip the majority of the queue and guests enter the house by climbing up the two or three steps at the front the mansion. The wheelchair ramp is directly to the right, so that's probably an option for those that cannot do the steps.
I wasn't sure. I was thinking there might be stairs on the back part of the walkway where the turnstile thing was as you somehow have to get up the elevation to the porch. I haven't gone that way in years so can't remember.

I wasn't sure. I was thinking there might be stairs on the back part of the walkway where the turnstile thing was as you somehow have to get up the elevation to the porch. I haven't gone that way in years so can't remember.
Ah, got it. Nope, no stairs back there (and not more turnstile either :) - which I'm glad for; for some reason, if there is a turnstile, I inevitable catch either my camera or bag strap on it! I swear, it's like the turnstile bar reaches out and grabs my strap! :rotfl:). I suspect it's a very gentle slope upwards along the queue route.

Another one that I haven't looked, what about the upper decks of the Mark Twain? I know there are stairs, but I've never looked to see if there is a ramp or elevator.

Not an attraction, but the main entrances to the Plaza Inn and Jolly Holiday both have a handful of steps, but there are ramps available.

Another one that I haven't looked, what about the upper decks of the Mark Twain? I know there are stairs, but I've never looked to see if there is a ramp or elevator.
The Mark Twain is stairs only to the upper decks. The Colombia requires stairs.

Yes, the Main Street Station also has ramps and they are rather steep. Other posters have commented that it is just easier to board at the other stations.

Clarification for this: if, in addition to difficulties with stairs, climbing or descending ramps will be difficult, skip the Main Street train station and board at one of the other stations in the park.

This is from the DLR website regarding accessibility info for the DLRR:

Guest Policies
  • The Main Street Station has numerous steps to climb to reach the boarding platform. Wheelchairs must be folded and placed onboard the train or left at the bottom of the stairs until Guests return from their round-trip.
  • Wheelchair Access at Main Street, U.S.A. Station: Proceed up the center stairs to the Station. Guests must navigate steps when boarding and disembarking the train.
  • Wheelchair Access at Mickey's Toontown Station: Wait behind the yellow line outside the west exit gates for a Cast Member to provide boarding instructions. Wheelchairs and Electric Conveyance Vehicles (ECVs) can be accommodated onboard the last car of the train via a ramp located inside the boarding area (limited space available).
  • Wheelchair Access at New Orleans Square Station: Proceed up the exit ramp nearest the Haunted Mansion and wait outside the exit gate behind the yellow line for a Cast Member to provide boarding instructions. Wheelchairs and Electric Conveyance Vehicles (ECVs) can be accommodated on the last car of the train via a ramp located inside the boarding area to the left (limited space available).
  • Handheld Captioning is available at this attraction. Please visit Guest Relations to obtain a receiver.
  • Audio Description for Guests with visual disabilities is available at this attraction. Please visit Guest Relations to obtain a receiver.
  • Guests must walk by themselves or be assisted by members of their party to experience this attraction.
  • Wheelchair Access at Tomorrowland Station: Proceed to the top of the exit ramp and wait behind the yellow line for a Cast Member to provide you with boarding instructions. Wheelchairs and Electric Conveyance Vehicles (ECVs) can be accommodated onboard the last car of the train via a ramp located inside the boarding area (limited space available).

I believe you are correct about this -- I tried to clarify my post above.
To be even clearer.... Regardless of where you board, unless you use the wheelchair area on the last car, you will need to climb 2 steps to get on the train itself. If you absolutely cannot step aboard, you can wait and use the ramp and load into the wheelchair area. It is very small, and if it is already in use by another family, you will need to wait for the next train or 2. The conductors are good about radioing the other trains to find out the status of the wheelchair area. They ask when you board where you will be disembarking. (You cannot exit at Main St. as there is no ramp to be able to open the train car.)

First Time to DL with son in power chair. I’m curious about wheelchair entrances and exits for Buzz, Pirates, PeterPan, Alice, Toad and Winnie. Anyone know where I can please find out this info? THX

For Buzz, guests in a wheelchair can use the regular queue (no stairs). Just before boarding, there is a doorway that takes you to where the ride vehicles unload. You'll go through the doorway and then board the attraction. There is a ride vehicle for guests that cannot transfer. We watched them stop the ride, set-up the ramp, let the guest (and one companion) board the vehicle, and then proceed. The ramp appeared to be built into the back of the vehicle. It was a pretty quick process and I imagine it would the same when unloading. The exit from that attraction doesn't have any stairs (it's a long ramp that leads from the unloading area to the exit).

This guide has a lot of useful information:
DL: https://secure.cdn1.wdpromedia.com/dam/disneyland/guest-services/guests-with-disabilities/18_DLR_GUIDE MAP_DLP_GWD_wPLAY_Halloween_v3_ab_reduced.pdf
DCA: https://secure.cdn1.wdpromedia.com/...GUIDE MAP_DCA_GWD_HALLOWEEN_v4_ab_reduced.pdf

First Time to DL with son in power chair. I’m curious about wheelchair entrances and exits for Buzz, Pirates, PeterPan, Alice, Toad and Winnie. Anyone know where I can please find out this info? THX
Question, can he transfer? For Peter Pan, you will get a return time, then he would need to transfer him to a manual chair to get up to the ride, then transfer to the ride vehicle.I am pretty sure it is the same for Alice and Toad. Pirates you can take the power chair to the boat. Haunted mansion will also need to go to a manual chair now to get to the buggies. I believe Winnie has its own ride vehicle so he can stay in his chair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter