DLR July vs August 2019?

Crazy4Disney06

DIS Veteran
Hey all,
We are planning a road trip to Cali next summer in our new RV and of course DL is on the top of our to do list. I know it's going to be busy, especially with Star Wars opening and D23 expo etc. I'm just wondering if it would make any difference to go in July vs August? We plan to do Sea World and Lego Land as well and maybe Universal if time allows. Any thoughts?

Hey all,
We are planning a road trip to Cali next summer in our new RV and of course DL is on the top of our to do list. I know it's going to be busy, especially with Star Wars opening and D23 expo etc. I'm just wondering if it would make any difference to go in July vs August? We plan to do Sea World and Lego Land as well and maybe Universal if time allows. Any thoughts?
It will only make a difference if you’re going around D23 because that’s when some of the blockout lifts on lower level passes begin.

It makes a difference when you look at the effect of SoCal APs being blocked or not. They are normally blocked until 3rd-4th week of August. I think next year blocked until the monday after D23? The week they open back up, the parks are usually crowded (but usually they reopen more to the middle of August).

It is very hard to predict for next summer because of SW land.

It makes a difference when you look at the effect of SoCal APs being blocked or not. They are normally blocked until 3rd-4th week of August. I think next year blocked until the monday after D23? The week they open back up, the parks are usually crowded (but usually they reopen more to the middle of August).

It is very hard to predict for next summer because of SW land.
Deluxe opens up the week leading into D23 and So Cal opens up day following D23. So cal select gets back week days after Labor Day.

Just some things to keep in mind regarding August: as previous posters have mentioned, D23 Expo is the third week of Aug., AP blockouts lift the third week of Aug., HM will go down for the Halloween overlay (usually for 3 weeks or so) sometime during the third week of Aug., and DLR usually shifts to low/non-peak season (i.e. shorter hours. lower staffing, weekend only nighttime entertainment, more refurbs, etc.) by the last week of Aug. If you want to skip all of that, make sure to plan your visit well before the third week of that month. Personally, I would aim for July -- that should give you longer hours, more staffing, more/all rides running at full capacity, full entertainment schedule, lower APs blocked, etc. Since DLR doesn't usually have anything like WDW's humidity, the heat isn't the same kind of issue in the summer.

Just some things to keep in mind regarding August: as previous posters have mentioned, D23 Expo is the third week of Aug., AP blockouts lift the third week of Aug., HM will go down for the Halloween overlay (usually for 3 weeks or so) sometime during the third week of Aug., and DLR usually shifts to low/non-peak season (i.e. shorter hours. lower staffing, weekend only nighttime entertainment, more refurbs, etc.) by the last week of Aug. If you want to skip all of that, make sure to plan your visit well before the third week of that month. Personally, I would aim for July -- that should give you longer hours, more staffing, more/all rides running at full capacity, full entertainment schedule, lower APs blocked, etc. Since DLR doesn't usually have anything like WDW's humidity, the heat isn't the same kind of issue in the summer.
I’m not sure how much of a cut back we will actually really see next year because of SWGE.

I’m not sure how much of a cut back we will actually really see next year because of SWGE.
No, but knowing Disney and Murphy's Law, I wouldn't make big plans depending on no cutbacks, then find out later that Disney got stingy at the last minute. At least the OP should be aware that, historically, the timeline allows for these things. Whether or not they actually happen is up to DLR management and TDA.

If I had my choice, it would have been end of August since a lot of schools are back in session by then. We went in July for the very first time and Dland was insane. So bad that I actually said I’m never going back (yeah right). DCA was a lot better given the fact that it’s set up better for crowds. While they normally block certain levels of SoCal passes etc, they lifted them last minute during our trip which really messed things up for us IMO. Our kid’s school started 3rd week of Aug so we didn't have the option of a late vaca as in previous years and had to just deal with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter