DLR people, get me pumped for WDW

ErinAlb

Earning My Ears
Hi - I hope mods don't move this over to the WDW forums because I want to hear specifically from Disneyland fans who have made the trip to Walt Disney World.

What did you DLR people love about WDW? I went to DLR last summer, and I was blown away. Magic just seemed to descend upon us. We walked onto Main Street, and Minnie Mouse was hugging us and giving us kisses. My kid hopped on the carousel first thing and was joined by a little brass band playing music. We didn't have a rigid plan and mostly roamed to whatever ride was nearby and had a short line. They all were so surprisingly delightful, and there were so many choices. Ride after ride exceeded my expectations, and we almost never waited longer than 15 minutes. 20 tops. Most were under 10.

Now we're planning WDW, and ... I have some hesitation. For instance, to meet characters at WDW you need to reserve a special meal months in advance or use a FastPass to jump in a line. They don't just come to you on the street. There aren't nearly as many rides in each park, and it looks like the lines get long really fast, so you need to choose those FPs wisely. So you end up learning all about the rides and about the whole park to figure out which rides you want to do and when you want to do them — so maybe there's not as much chance to be surprised? And if you're on a schedule (and committing a fair bit of each day to transit), do you get to just explore and follow your heart? At DLR, my kid would gleefully disappear into the Tarzan thing or Bug Land or whatever, and we'd follow along because it seemed like the park was built for exactly that -- exploring and being surprised and taking everything in organically. At WDW did you end up so tied to The Schedule that it turned into "No Billy, we can't ride the carousel twice in the morning because the other lines get too long. No Janie, you can't take off down that interesting animal trail because we have a Fastpass for Mount Everest"?

Or does everyone at WDW mostly end up abandoning their plans anyway? I can get myself in the mindset to do that. But WDW sort of pushes people to hyperplan everything — and with all the attractions divided among smaller parks, each with high crowd pressure, it really does seem like access to the must-dos requires that level of planning precision. I never once worried we might not get a chance to do Space Mountain in two days at Disneyland, but it sounds like any one of the big rides at WDW is kind of a one-chance, high-stakes thing involving a FastPass or a pre-dawn rope drop scrum or a really long wait (we aren't park-hopping).

How did you DLR folks find your magic at WDW? Did you have regrets about how you approached it? It doesn't sound like the magic there follows the same vectors that it does at DLR, and it'd be a mistake to hope that it will. But it is called The Most Magical Place On Earth, so I'm assuming its there!

Also interested to hear others views as i'm planning 2 days in WDW next year before heading out on a cruise. WDW planning is way more stressful than i'm used to haha.

More DLR people should go to WDW, its not an expensive flight. It is very large overall and spread out, but there is so much to do. You need to pace yourself and take a longer trip. It can get hot, it can rain buckets, just go with it.

Do not miss the shows, Lion King and Beauty and the Beast are great

Our family went in September 2017 for the first time as yearly DLR visitors. It is so different that you really cannot compare. We really found our "magic" visiting Animal Kingdom. It is such a unique park, and Pandora is amazing. With our kids really into roller coasters, they loved Expedition Everest. The Safari was an amazing experience as well. We did AK on day two of our trip after a lackluster day one (our own fault), and it really kick-started the rest of the trip until getting ran off a day early by Irma :oops:. Do not try to compare DLR with WDW, just enjoy them for their own uniqueness.

My two cents:

WDW and DLR have the same number of attractions (basically) but WDW is much bigger, so the space between each is vast, both within the parks and between the parks. FORTUNATELY, getting there is half the fun. When I visit WDW I make sure to spend as much time as I can on the various forms of transportation, especially the cruisers on the Seven Seas Lagoon. There's nothing better than a late night boat after the Hoop Dee Doo review to the Contemporary where you can grab a cocktail and watch the fireworks from the roof.

Also, Animal Kingdom is the closest thing the US has to DisneySea so just spend all your time there.

They are so different. I go to WDW 2-3X a year but also DL at least once a year. I love BOTH. I will say, it is easier for WDW guests to tour DL, than DL guests to tour WDW. Because WDW is larger and more complicated. So many resorts, to begin with. All 4 parks are great. At WDW, the restaurants are a huge deal and the guests begin booking meals 180 days (which is completely insane). My advice, pick a couple, because table service meals are expensive AND time consuming. (P.S. We love Sci Fi ). It is just weird how much people are into eating at WDW.

And like DL, the parks are awesome after dark.

There are WAY MORE scooters and strollers at WDW. Beware. LOL.

We went to WDW for the first time (I'm not counting the time I technically went and was too young to remember, being under 2) in February 2018 and we had a great time. We live just under 4 and a half hours from DLR, so we go there once a year usually, but I wanted to check out the World. We loved Disney World, but you really can't do a direct comparison to Disneyland in a real way. It's amazing and if you don't try to do direct comparisons, you'll be better off, but you definitely will for the like rides; that can't be helped.

I really appreciated getting to do the fireworks dessert party at WDW as we never seem to catch them at DLR and they were fabulous. I say this as a person who isn't even that into fireworks.

All 4 parks are great; see them all if you can. I liked the planning far out aspect, but that's just how I am.

Unfortunately you have to plan. Rope drop is a must. (for us) You can get 2-3 rides done in the first hour the park opens usually. Plan fastpasses for a couple hours after the park opens if you plan to be there at rope drop. If your kids are young, a character meal is a good way to see some characters. Otherwise, you can eat pretty good at CS restaurants. Visit Mickey & Minnie in Animal Kingdom, that line is usually not too bad. We are heading to DL in a couple weeks and I'm excited because it seems so much more relaxed. And the CS restaurants are better :).

We have done WDW almost every year and 2 trips to DL with our third coming up in Dec. WDW is much larger. It takes a lot more planning. I would say stay at a Disney resort, make your FP selections at 60 days. Make a list of your top things to see. It is much larger and you may not see everything. Being at the gate before rope drop really helps. You get a lot done in the first few hours. If you do your research before hand and get your FP you will have a great trip. WDW and DL are the same but very different. We were not sure we would like DL because it is much smaller but we enjoy it very much. We just make shorter trips. We do at least 7 night at WDW. Have fun.

I went to WDW back in 2016 (3 years ago today was our first day in the MK) as it was cheaper for my sister coming from the midwest and since she had a family of 5 and we only had myself and my husband at the time we agreed. Frankly I loved WDW but for very different reasons than DL. Since I live on the west coast I feel like DL is my home park. It is where I go when I need my Disney fix. It is small and easy to navigate. But in my heart I am a planner and I really enjoyed the amount of planning WDW needs. I was the planner for our group of 7, with my sister suggesting places the kids wanted to eat at. I decided what park on what day, we got all the ADRs we wanted at the 6 month mark and all the fast passes we wanted at the 60 day mark. What I liked best about WDW though was it felt much more, vacationy if that makes sense. At DL I am go go go from rope drop to closing but WDW felt more relaxed and had an easy going pace. Thanks to the DIS boards I felt like I had a game plan, and was able to have what I like to call scheduled free time when it was needed. I never felt like I couldn't get fast passes when I needed and/or wanted them. We scheduled our advance ones for mid-morning so it was easy to keep getting more throughout the day as we went. I know many people don't like it, but I liked knowing what I was doing when, and that I would get on all the rides I wanted over the course of the trip. Maybe it was a fluke; we ate at Cinderella's Royal Table (super cool eating in the castle), my then husband and I ate at Be Our Guest, we even managed to get fast passes to opening day of the Frozen Ever After ride which just happened to coincide with our Epcot day. My only complaint is the buses from the resorts to the parks. Our first day we almost missed our ADR at CRT even though we thought we had left enough time. We modified our travel times after that and never had another issue (except leaving Hollywood Studios at park close- that was an insane wait). I also find that when I was at WDW I missed the DL rides (RSR, Matterhorn, the Grand Canyon, Indy) however I kind of miss the rides unique to WDW when I am at DL (Everest, Peoplemover)

I look at it like this, DL is where I know I can get my Disney fix on short notice, it's where I go to ride the rides and just go go go. WDW is where I will go for a longer more immersive Disney vacation where things go at a bit of a slower pace. I literally cannot wait to go back hopefully next year!

It is true that you need to plan out WDW more than DL but you can still have time to just explore the parks etc without running around from ride to ride. I do find that planning is half the fun in my WDW trips though.

Pick a time during the day that you know you will be able to use your fast passes, book those and then when you are done those 3 rides you can either book another fast pass or you can spend the rest of the day exploring. You can always keep checking to see what fast passes are open when you are in the park and then change your fast pass reservations to work for your family. I think that at DL we are spoiled by how easy it is to get a fast pass for rides day of because there is no pre booking which I do love.

We love the transport at WDW and often try to take different options to the parks or meals etc. For meal reservations honestly if you don't want to do any sit down meals there are so many options for counter service that you can just stop at and grab a bite to eat when you are hungry.

I definitely would not say WDW is less fun because you have to plan. I would say just know what you want to do ahead of time and get FP+ for that. In Disneyland, you should know ahead of time what to get a Fastpass for first and WDW is the same but 30 or 60 days ahead of time. Planning at home does not in any way spoil the experience when you get there. If anything, it makes it better because you know all the planning paid off. Also, you don’t have to do everything just once. First of all, if you go first thing of the day, you can go on a lot of popular rides. If you go at night, you can get pretty short waits and get in line last thing for a really popular ride and not wait too long (for example, a little over a month after the Frozen ride opened, we got in line at park closing and even though the posted wait was 110, we waited less than 20). But the main thing that I just recently heard about is the “refresh” strategy. If you use your first 3 Fastpasses and attempt to get a new one and simply keep refreshing the app, you can get a Fastpass for almost anything immediately (maybe not the very new rides although people say it does work sometimes). You can get as many Fastpasses as you want that way.

As far as the magical feeling, both places have it. Disneyland has a special feeling because it’s the original and WDW has it because it is so big and you really feel like you’re in another world. There’s just a special feeling going on the monorail going to the Magic Kingdom. Your trip is going to be incredible but only if you let it. 😀😀

We're plannin on hittin WDW next Feb. What can we expect as far as crowds and weather?

I grew up in California. Lived in San Diego for years and was an annual passholder up until 2015 when I moved to Oregon.

Went to Disney World. It is now my preference. In a big way.

Realize that it is HUGE. On property has very little meaning. All Stars is at least a 30 minute bus ride. No walking across the promenade.....

Parking to the gate can easily be a 30 minute trip.

Walkways are bigger. Getting across park can be a journey.

It get HOT there. It rains. For 10 minutes.

Expect to buy breakfast, lunch and dinner in the park or your resort. Unless you get a rental car and take the extra time, there is no other option.

Photopass photographers are everywhere.

Crowds seem lighter because the walkways are huge. It can fool you until you want a ride or wait for a parade.

We actually didn’t need the FPs at DL, except for the Cars ride. Everything else was short lines. We did use a couple at the end of our last night, but only because 0 minutes is shorter than 15.

Our only schedule considerations at DLR were a Bibbity Bobbity Boutique appointment, the one Cars FP (which we kept pushing back) and the Frozen show (which we ended up missing bc we didn’t know you had to be there early. But it didn’t matter bc there were all these other rides with <10 min. waits to do instead). The second day we only had to worry about Jedi Training and a Fantasmic dinner package.

Meeting windows for 3 FPs plus stage shows, ADRs and buses doesnt really seem comparable as far as daily deadline pressure goes.

I’m not too worried about the FL weather; I love rain and humidity, and I eat ice all the time. Just seeing rain is a treat.
I grew up in California. Lived in San Diego for years and was an annual passholder up until 2015 when I moved to Oregon.

Went to Disney World. It is now my preference. In a big way.

Realize that it is HUGE. On property has very little meaning. All Stars is at least a 30 minute bus ride. No walking across the promenade.....

Parking to the gate can easily be a 30 minute trip.

Walkways are bigger. Getting across park can be a journey.

It get HOT there. It rains. For 10 minutes.

Expect to buy breakfast, lunch and dinner in the park or your resort. Unless you get a rental car and take the extra time, there is no other option.

Photopass photographers are everywhere.

Crowds seem lighter because the walkways are huge. It can fool you until you want a ride or wait for a parade.
What about WDW do you prefer? The things you’re describing don’t really sound like good things — except for the bigger walkways.

We're plannin on hittin WDW next Feb. What can we expect as far as crowds and weather?
Generally February is one of the less crowded months (besides Presidents Day weekend) but keep in mind that Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge will have opened just a few months earlier and Rise of the Resistance will probably have opened just a couple months earlier. That’s sure to draw crowds in. Just make sure to go in the morning and night and get Fastpasses 😀😀

I was there the first week of Feb this year and it was what I would say is moderate crowds but beautiful weather. It was 70s-80s until my last day when a rain storm blew in. I was in shorts and a tee shirt all week with a light jacket for mornings or evenings. It was much better than weather here in CA that same week since a cold front came through.

Whatever you do, do *not* go without packing a pair or two of shorts! When we were there last year, we didn't bring any and it was fairly hot at the end of February, though it was chilly on the last day of our trip in early March.

I don't know which park is my "home" park since I live in the Midwest and have been going to both since I was a child...

It's true that Disney World does require more planning before the vacation (which I think is some of the fun) but I wouldn't get too caught up in holding to that schedule. Allow yourself some flexibility and don't get too caught up on making those FPs. With a little refreshing in the app I've had good luck finding everything same day, including Flight of Passage for 5 people. I also like to modify my existing FPs and try to move them sooner. FPs can't overlap, but modifying the times day-of can get you on stuff sooner, rather than waiting around for the next window. So for example, you tap in and use your first FP of the day, then in that FP queue I'll jump on the app and modify my next FP so that I can ride it immediately or soon after exiting the first ride.

It's also true that characters don't really roam around in the same way they do at Disneyland. But there's still some fun "streetmosphere". For example, at Animal Kingdom there's a roaming stilt walker called De-Vine. She's covered in vines and made to blend in with the background, but super cool to see. Animal Kingdom also has a roaming Kevin (from Up) which is really fun to see.

The resorts at Disney World are part of the magic! It's fun to take some time out and visit them, even if you aren't staying at them. Some are easy to get to, like those on the monorail, but I also recommend seeing Animal Kingdom Lodge if your children are interested in animals.

We are a Disney family. Live in the midwest so WDW is the park we go to the most. However, DL is our favorite.

WDW, has many great things that make it special. Walking the World Showcase in Epcot is just cool. Stopping for a drink and tapas at noon at the outside terrace at Brown Derby in HS has become one of our favorite things to do. You find those special unscheduled moments. They will happen.

BUT ... you do need to plan at WDW. No doubt about it. Find your inner Type A personality and book the restaurants so far in advance it makes even Felix Unger (for you old folks) ponder why so far out. Get those FP+ right at 7am 60 days out. Have your heartbeat a mile a minute trying to score your fast pass for Flight of Passage. Make the planning part of the fun. Otherwise, you'll just be irritated before the trip begins.

I will say this with certainty, you won't see everything. There is just too much to see. Pick what is must do's for you and your family. Plan those things, then let the rest come organically.

And plan travel times! You can't go from a MK FP+ ride on Splash Mountain at 4:15pm and expect to be at Flying Fish for dinner at 5. IMHO, that is the hardest thing to grasp. Go on the WDW section and ask. This forum is great for telling you if your plan is feasible.

You will find magic in WDW. It does take more planning, but it is definitely there. :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter