DME and RAC....FAQs

Fangorn

DIS Veteran
We have our flight scheduled to leave MCO at 5:50 pm. With RAC closing at noon, can we still check our bags with them even though it's 6 hours before departure? Will they not accept bags that far ahead? We usually fly home in the afternoon, but this is the only nonstop flight other than 9:30 am.
Yes, you can check your bags with RAC anytime as long as it is at least 3 hours before the flight departs. They are open from 5 - noon. So in your case, any time the morning you leave.

Steve

SarahD112

Mouseketeer
So I’m sure the answer to my question is somewhere in these 111 pages, but I’ve read about 12 of them and I give up. My question...how do I handle DME if we’re flying in at different times? My daughter and I land late on a Saturday night, my college age son flying in Monday night, husband joining us Tuesday afternoon after a meeting he couldn’t miss. We are all flying out together...but what’s the best way to handle the incoming?

Fangorn

DIS Veteran
You have two choices:
1) full out two separate forms. 1 for you and you're daughter, and a second one for your son. You don't all have to arrive at the same time to use DME.

2) give DME a call directly at 866 599-0951 and set it up over the phone. Just have your resort confirmation number and flight times for everyone available. The call will be quick and painless and with very little, if any, hold time.

I always just call. It's super easy, and you'll know it's been set up properly.

Steve

• AngiTN

DIS Veteran
    You have two choices:
    1) full out two separate forms. 1 for you and you're daughter, and a second one for your son. You don't all have to arrive at the same time to use DME.

2) give DME a call directly at 866 599-0951 and set it up over the phone. Just have your resort confirmation number and flight times for everyone available. The call will be quick and painless and with very little, if any, hold time.

I always just call. It's super easy, and you'll know it's been set up properly.

Steve
    Conversely, I always use the form online because then I know it's entered correctly.
    I have serious issues trusting the people on the phone to do much of anything right.
    I've had too many times where they messed something up. It SHOULD be easy but for whatever reason, it is a challenge for some operators

The Foolish Mortal

Mouseketeer
    Do the DME buses from Orlando International to the resorts follow a consistent route? I am curious in what order the various buses stop at each resort and whether that is consistent, or does it change from day to day? Seems like I am always the last stop no matter which resort I am staying at :snail:

Fangorn

DIS Veteran
    Do the DME buses from Orlando International to the resorts follow a consistent route? I am curious in what order the various buses stop at each resort and whether that is consistent, or does it change from day to day? Seems like I am always the last stop no matter which resort I am staying at :snail:
    There are no set routes. In most cases (but not all) a bus will go to a small set of resorts that are geographical close by, but the order of those resorts seems to be up to the driver who may choose based on how many people are going to each resort or some other criteria.

So if you're going to POR, chances are your bus will also go to POFQ, OKW and SSR. But which one is first (or last) is unknowable until it happens.

Steve

Mikey15

DIS Veteran
    I seem to recall there being ~8 lines at DME last time I used it, broken up by what resort you're staying at. Pop/AoA went together. MK resorts went together, etc. If you're arriving at an odd time, maybe there's more resorts sharing that bus with you. Not sure they'd have ~8 buses on the go at 10 at night.

• mom2rose&john

DIS Veteran
    Quick confirmation needed. We have a 8:40 am flight departing MCO. I anticipate our MDE time will be 5:25 am. If we show up For RAC at 5am will this allow enough time for our bags to be checked? Or, should we just bring our bags with us on the bus and check them at MCO?

Fangorn

DIS Veteran
    Quick confirmation needed. We have a 8:40 am flight departing MCO. I anticipate our MDE time will be 5:25 am. If we show up For RAC at 5am will this allow enough time for our bags to be checked? Or, should we just bring our bags with us on the bus and check them at MCO?
    RAC requires that your bags be checked at least 3 hours prior to your flight's scheduled departure time. So theoretically, yes, you would be able to have them check your bags before DME arrives for you. BUT, there could easily be a long line of people also waiting to check their bags and you might not be able to complete the check-in in time. Plan on being there a bit before 5 with your bags and assess the situation. Worst case, you'll have to put your bags on the bus and check them at MCO when you get there.

Steve

goofy4tink

No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator
    I would play it by ear, so to speak. There usually isn't a long line at 5am. I would take the bags up and get there about 4:55. That should put you first in line.

LuigiSpice

Mouseketeer
    Apologies if this is buried somewhere in here:

Do you have to ride the ME or can your luggage go to your resort while you take an Uber to the park?

• WDW1970

Mouseketeer
    I am sure this is buried somewhere also - Two questions (1) how much time before my flight leaves would I need to be on the bus to MCO (staying at POP). Delta flight departs 2 pm on a Saturday. We will not have any checked luggage - just carryon. (2) if we are staying at POP, can we catch a DME bus at another resort such at AKL? We want to eat breakfast at Boma and it would be great if we could just leave from AKL instead of having to return to POP. Thanks!!

Fangorn

DIS Veteran
    I am sure this is buried somewhere also - Two questions (1) how much time before my flight leaves would I need to be on the bus to MCO (staying at POP). Delta flight departs 2 pm on a Saturday. We will not have any checked luggage - just carryon. (2) if we are staying at POP, can we catch a DME bus at another resort such at AKL? We want to eat breakfast at Boma and it would be great if we could just leave from AKL instead of having to return to POP. Thanks!!
    You do not really get to choose your time. DME will tell you the day before, when they will pick you up. That time will be about 3 hours before your flight, plus or minus 15 minutes. The time they give you is the time the bus will LEAVE your resort, so be there at least 15 min prior to that time. If you miss your assigned bus, you may not be able to get on the next one.

You cannot take DME from any resort other than the one where you're staying.

Steve

AngiTN

DIS Veteran
    You may be a good candidate to opt to use Rideshare back to MCO, instead of ME. If you are willing to pay for the ride instead. It's what we do. ME leaves way too early for us as PreCheck users. (with Clear now) That way we can leave from wherever we want, whenever we want.

Just a thought, if you think it a viable option for your party

WDW1970

Mouseketeer
    You do not really get to choose your time. DME will tell you the day before, when they will pick you up. That time will be about 3 hours before your flight, plus or minus 15 minutes. The time they give you is the time the bus will LEAVE your resort, so be there at least 15 min prior to that time. If you miss your assigned bus, you may not be able to get on the next one.

You cannot take DME from any resort other than the one where you're staying.

Steve
    Thanks for both replies! That does not surprise me. We have never used DME and thought we might give it a try on the way back to MCO to save $50. :) We will probably just stick with Uber/Lyft.

_19disnA

DIS Veteran
    Do the DME buses from Orlando International to the resorts follow a consistent route? I am curious in what order the various buses stop at each resort and whether that is consistent, or does it change from day to day?

Can't speak for every resort, but we recently stayed at the Contemporary and our Magical Express bus only stopped at Wilderness Lodge and then Contemporary. Returning to the airport was the same, we boarded our bus at the Contemporary, picked up additional people at Wilderness Lodge and then headed to the airport. Our bus did NOT stop at Polynesian or Floridian. You are directed to a numbered line at the airport based on your resort.

Every time we took an onsite bus during our stay to go to another park (i.e Hollywood Studios & Animal Kingdom), they only stopped at Wilderness Lodge. Posted printed signs at the waiting area exit of each park also showed which bus stops where.

(I also think it would be better to start a new thread on this topic, since what may have been true 5+yrs ago may not be current info.)

goofy4tink

Can't speak for every resort, but we recently stayed at the Contemporary and our Magical Express bus only stopped at Wilderness Lodge and then Contemporary. Returning to the airport was the same, we boarded our bus at the Contemporary, picked up additional people at Wilderness Lodge and then headed to the airport. Our bus did NOT stop at Polynesian or Floridian. You are directed to a numbered line at the airport based on your resort.

Every time we took an onsite bus during our stay to go to another park (i.e Hollywood Studios & Animal Kingdom), they only stopped at Wilderness Lodge. Posted printed signs at the waiting area exit of each park also showed which bus stops where.

(I also think it would be better to start a new thread on this topic, since what may have been true 5+yrs ago may not be current info.)
    While this thread may be five years old, it has up to the minute (at least pretty much) info. As do all our stickied threads. When something big changes we amend the original informational post and make sure that it is also noted at the end of the thread. So, no worries about info being old and no longer in effect.

joscortel

Earning My Ears
    I did a search on this thread and could not find this answer so forgive me if it has been asked an answered.
    When checking in at DME counter at the airport does everyone have to be present? We will have 9 people total so if some are taking a child to restroom would that be okay? or should we wait until everyone including the children are present so they can be accounted for by DME? I was just thinking of multi-tasking to save some time or even a melt down if having to stand in a long line for a long time one of my DGS is non-verbal Autistic and after a 2.5 hour flight he may need to not be cooped up in a line and need to be away from others for awhile.

goofy4tink

I did a search on this thread and could not find this answer so forgive me if it has been asked an answered.
    When checking in at DME counter at the airport does everyone have to be present? We will have 9 people total so if some are taking a child to restroom would that be okay? or should we wait until everyone including the children are present so they can be accounted for by DME? I was just thinking of multi-tasking to save some time or even a melt down if having to stand in a long line for a long time one of my DGS is non-verbal Autistic and after a 2.5 hour flight he may need to not be cooped up in a line and need to be away from others for awhile.
    You will pass many rest rooms on your trek to the DME area. There is an area, just before you get to the DME checkin podium where you can sit and relax for a bit. Here's the issue you may have though...once through the DME checkin, you will be sent to resort appropriate lines. There could be a wait in that line. Everyone will need to have their bands scanned prior to getting sent to that bus line. Then once again just prior to boarding the bus. I would take my time between leaving the gate and arriving at DME.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates