DME and RAC....FAQs

emmakatbaby

Proudmomof3
Is it possible for a guest to use DME and not be listed on a reservation at a Disney resort? We are flying into Orlando and will be staying at Pop (my husband, DD, DS17 and myself). My DS21 is moving there and will be staying at his new apartment. We would like him to be able to come to the resort as we get settled in and then go to Disney Springs to have a nice dinner before he goes to his apartment. Is this even an option?

TheOneWithTheTriplets

DIS Veteran
Is it possible for a guest to use DME and not be listed on a reservation at a Disney resort? We are flying into Orlando and will be staying at Pop (my husband, DD, DS17 and myself). My DS21 is moving there and will be staying at his new apartment. We would like him to be able to come to the resort as we get settled in and then go to Disney Springs to have a nice dinner before he goes to his apartment. Is this even an option?
You have 4 people on the room reservation, so only 4 can use DME. They are strict about that. And, since it's Pop!, you can't add him as a 5th person even if you wanted to.

I guess you could ask when the 4 for you check in, but most likely one of your party will need to take alternate transport to Pop.

goofy4tink

No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator
Every person riding DME must be listed on a resort reservation, so no, he won't be able to ride. And as mentioned, he can't be listed on the reservation since it puts you above the room limit. My suggestion would be to have him go to the Mears desk, and ask for transport to Pop. Yes, he will have to pay for the ride (under $20 I believe) but he might very well be put on the bus to Pop once he pays.

• OtherFigment

Mouseketeer
    Ok, sorry for the question. I gave up at page 15 or so. I understand you can't have DME take bags only on arrival, but what about on the departure side? Could I check our bags with RAC and then take an uber? We'd really like to have brunch on our day of departure at DS but that's only possible if we leave from there rather than going back to the hotel to collect bags, and I really don't want to drag luggage around downtown disney.

AngiTN

DIS Veteran
    Ok, sorry for the question. I gave up at page 15 or so. I understand you can't have DME take bags only on arrival, but what about on the departure side? Could I check our bags with RAC and then take an uber? We'd really like to have brunch on our day of departure at DS but that's only possible if we leave from there rather than going back to the hotel to collect bags, and I really don't want to drag luggage around downtown disney.
    You can do both.
    Upon arrival ME services takes bags without your riding all the time
    RAC and ME are totally unrelated so what you do in departure makes no difference anyway.

Sajchinook2015

Mouseketeer
    I just read a trip report and they mentioned the luggage is no longer brought to your room. You have to call bell services sometimes in the evening and they will bring your bag.

My question is....is this correct. I use DME in 2015 and it was great. Went off to the parks and when we got back to our room @9 the bags were in the room already.

AngiTN

DIS Veteran
    I just read a trip report and they mentioned the luggage is no longer brought to your room. You have to call bell services sometimes in the evening and they will bring your bag.

My question is....is this correct. I use DME in 2015 and it was great. Went off to the parks and when we got back to our room @9 the bags were in the room already.
    Incorrect.
    All bags brought to the resort under the ME services and passed on to Bell Services are delivered to your room with no interaction from you needed at all.

If you ask to have them held for any reason you have to call for them.

• Sajchinook2015

Mouseketeer
    Thanks
    Incorrect.
    All bags brought to the resort under the ME services and passed on to Bell Services are delivered to your room with no interaction from you needed at all.

If you ask to have them held for any reason you have to call for them.
    Thanks - that is what I was hoping. I didn’t think it changed. And by the way. I finally stayed at BWI club level in May. It was AMAZING. I kept looking for you but did not see you. The staff was so great and helpful.

BarbLynnM

Earning My Ears
    We're using DME; while we're arriving on Delta, we're departing on Sprit, which isn't covered by the RAC. Our flight isn't until 5:30 or so, so we'd like to spend a little more time in the a.m. at the parks. Question is, if checkout is 11 (staying at the Fort), and we wouldn't have to be leaving until 2/2:30 or so, is it possible that the concierge/front desk at the Outpost keep our luggage until our pick-up by DME?

Fangorn

DIS Veteran
    Yes. Baggage Services at the resorts will hold your luggage for you. Just be sure to return in plenty of time to retrieve your bags from baggage services and be ready to go at least 15 min before the pickup time DME gives you. That time is the time the bus LEAVES the resort, not the time they arrive.

Steve

BarbLynnM

Earning My Ears
    Yes. Baggage Services at the resorts will hold your luggage for you. Just be sure to return in plenty of time to retrieve your bags from baggage services and be ready to go at least 15 min before the pickup time DME gives you. That time is the time the bus LEAVES the resort, not the time they arrive.

Steve
    Tks :) We usually drive down with our camper, but this one was on the fly (so to speak lol), and is our first time flying in.

• biochemgirl

DIS Veteran
    In such a large thread, my search may have missed it....

Does anyone else have the Alaska Airlines signature VISA card that let's you check a free bag? When using RAC does their system know you don't pay to check your bag?

TheOneWithTheTriplets

DIS Veteran

Does anyone else have the Alaska Airlines signature VISA card that let's you check a free bag? When using RAC does their system know you don't pay to check your bag?
    Curious on this one, too. Hubby has an American card that gets him a free bag on our return flight. Hoping to use RAC to check it, if possible.

goofy4tink

No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator
    Curious on this one, too. Hubby has an American card that gets him a free bag on our return flight. Hoping to use RAC to check it, if possible.
    I routinely fly JB, and get one free checked bag. I have never had an issue with RAC. Only one time was I asked about a checked bag payment. I told them I was entitled to one free checked bag with JB...they had no issue.

AngiTN

DIS Veteran

I know for a fact American will let your bags go free. I'm certain the same for any who offer free bags. May or may not ask to see the card, in my personal experience, this has varied based on the agent. They have said they can't "see" your free bag but most just take my word for it.
    With Delta (for any who use them), you can go on and enter your bags at the time you check-in, this they can see. Online check-in process knows if you have free bags or not.

shoreward

DIS Veteran
    Having regularly used ME and the bag delivery service directly to my guest room from the airport, I know that the luggage is delivered, whether or not anyone is in the room. The service is supposed to include tips.

What happens when your luggage is delivered to the room by bell services, after it's received from the airport, and you are in the room to receive it? Is a tip expected, if you personally receive your luggage in the room, during the normal bag drops?

Last edited:

kaytieeldr

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc
    No tip expected. This specific service, Disney compensates the CMs, who should be aware of that. Feel free to tip, but do not feel obligated

shoreward

DIS Veteran
    No tip expected. This specific service, Disney compensates the CMs, who should be aware of that. Feel free to tip, but do not feel obligated
    That was the impression I was under.

On a recent visit, when luggage was delivered from the airport, the bell services CM did about everything but hold out his hand for a tip. If he had provided an extra service or done something other than just drop the bag in the room, I gladly would have tipped. Under the circumstances, I did not.

AngiTN

DIS Veteran
    Having regularly used ME and the bag delivery service directly to my guest room from the airport, I know that the luggage is delivered, whether or not anyone is in the room. The service is supposed to include tips.

What happens when your luggage is delivered to the room by bell services, after it's received from the airport, and you are in the room to receive it? Is a tip expected, if you personally receive your luggage in the room, during the normal bag drops?
    It's my understanding that as long as it's come from ME, and you didn't ask for them to be held (like overnight) then that is within the umbrella of the ME service and they are paid differently (for lack of better words) for those bags. No idea how they arrange it exactly, maybe log internally when they deliver ME bags vs. guest dropped bags and when it's an ME bag they are paid something extra per bag? Maybe there's a specific bell service CM who handles ALL ME bags that day? No idea, just toss some guesses. Anyway, if you have had the bags held and then they are delivered, that is the only time I tip for the ME bags. I think of those as going over from ME deliver to guest dropped off bags delivery. If that makes sense.

shoreward

DIS Veteran
    It's my understanding that as long as it's come from ME, and you didn't ask for them to be held (like overnight) then that is within the umbrella of the ME service and they are paid differently (for lack of better words) for those bags. No idea how they arrange it exactly, maybe log internally when they deliver ME bags vs. guest dropped bags and when it's an ME bag they are paid something extra per bag? Maybe there's a specific bell service CM who handles ALL ME bags that day? No idea, just toss some guesses. Anyway, if you have had the bags held and then they are delivered, that is the only time I tip for the ME bags. I think of those as going over from ME deliver to guest dropped off bags delivery. If that makes sense.
    I did not request delivery - it was their normal bag drop from ME. That's why I was dumbfounded by the CM's behavior.

Thanks for confirming what I thought.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates