DME and RAC....FAQs

nkereina

Last chance to lose your keys.
We will be arriving at our resort around 9:30am. I know that DME luggage delivery is expected 3-4 hours after you arrive at the resort, but what is the expectation if your room isn't ready for a while? If our room is ready closer to 3pm, just trying to gauge how long after we should expect luggage to be delivered to the room. Trying to decide whether we want to just pick it up ourselves or not. Thanks!

AngiTN

DIS Veteran
We will be arriving at our resort around 9:30am. I know that DME luggage delivery is expected 3-4 hours after you arrive at the resort, but what is the expectation if your room isn't ready for a while? If our room is ready closer to 3pm, just trying to gauge how long after we should expect luggage to be delivered to the room. Trying to decide whether we want to just pick it up ourselves or not. Thanks!
We end up with this scenario often. And obviously Bell Services is VERY used to this happening. In general we are off in the parks, not hanging at the resort waiting on our bags so it usually doesn't make any difference on how long they take. It's always there in the room when we do walk in. If it's not in your case, call them and they'll bring it right up.

• nkereina

We end up with this scenario often. And obviously Bell Services is VERY used to this happening. In general we are off in the parks, not hanging at the resort waiting on our bags so it usually doesn't make any difference on how long they take. It's always there in the room when we do walk in. If it's not in your case, call them and they'll bring it right up.
    So do the delivery folks leave it with bell services if the room isn't ready? We'll be arriving around 9:30-10 and plan to relax at the pool until about 3-3:30ish, at which time we'll shower and head to Disney Springs for the night. Normally we'd be in the park too, so I wouldn't be worried about it, but we'll need our toiletries to get ready. Just wasn't sure what the process was when the bags arrive at the resort, but the rooms aren't ready yet.

kaytieeldr

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc
    Delivery folks always = the individual truck drivers from airport to resorts, so yes, they always deliver all luggage to Bell Services/Luggage Assistance )

AngiTN

DIS Veteran
    So do the delivery folks leave it with bell services if the room isn't ready? We'll be arriving around 9:30-10 and plan to relax at the pool until about 3-3:30ish, at which time we'll shower and head to Disney Springs for the night. Normally we'd be in the park too, so I wouldn't be worried about it, but we'll need our toiletries to get ready. Just wasn't sure what the process was when the bags arrive at the resort, but the rooms aren't ready yet.
    They are always handed off to Bell Services who then brings it to the room.

• Alesia

DIS Veteran
    Always pack everything you'll need for the first 24 hours in your carry on

nkereina

Always pack everything you'll need for the first 24 hours in your carry on
    I can't pack our toiletries in our carry on because they are all over 3oz, but I always bring an extra change of clothes and anything we need immediately in the carry on!

Iowamomof4

DIS Veteran
    I can't pack our toiletries in our carry on because they are all over 3oz, but I always bring an extra change of clothes and anything we need immediately in the carry on!
    I'm not trying to argue with you at all, but often I'll put some of my shampoo or other toiletries into small containers and bring along a 3-1-1 bag just so I have the absolute essentials just in case. I guess you'll just have to decide what matters most. :) You can always put the yellow tags on everything except ONE bag and go grab that one with your necessities from the baggage claim, but then that kind of negates the whole thing so :confused3 . Good luck with your decision!

AngiTN

DIS Veteran
    I'm not trying to argue with you at all, but often I'll put some of my shampoo or other toiletries into small containers and bring along a 3-1-1 bag just so I have the absolute essentials just in case. I guess you'll just have to decide what matters most. :) You can always put the yellow tags on everything except ONE bag and go grab that one with your necessities from the baggage claim, but then that kind of negates the whole thing so :confused3 . Good luck with your decision!
    At least toiletries are available at the resort. They may be perfectly adequate for some to use till they can get their bags.

• Alesia

DIS Veteran
    I've had my luggage misdirected too many times to risk not grabbing travel sizes of what I need

nkereina

I've had my luggage misdirected too many times to risk not grabbing travel sizes of what I need
    Like PP mentioned, if my luggage is misdirected, the toiletries provided by the resort would be adequate for me in case of temporary emergency. I would rather use these items than have to dump my items into 3oz containers (which I would have to buy) or purchase 3oz items of all my toiletries and bring these in addition to the larger ones in my checked bag, because 3oz wouldn't be enough. I do agree that bringing extra clothes and other essentials needed in the first 24 hours should be a best practice for everyone, but toiletries would not fall into that category for me. But to each their own!

kpd6901

DIS Veteran
    We are using DME in Feb 26 when we fly into MCO (although we are NOT for our return home). Family of 5. Usually, we receive 2 sets of tags for each person (10 tags total). This time, we only received 5 tags (1 for each person). It so happens that it's not a huge deal this time, since we are UberXL-ing from WDW to PC for our DCL and we need to limit our luggage usage. But is this typical in that longer stays get more tags per person than shorter stays? Or was it bc we never received our tags (even though our TA said she put it in and DME told her they were already sent a while back) and I put in a new request for tags, so they maybe treated it as an "additional" request?

Again, it's not really an issue for this trip. It just seemed odd. We didn't get any a month out. Only got our DCL tags. Got our MBs, which usually have come AFTER DME tags. DME tells TA they were sent a while ago. I put in my own request on evening of Feb. 10. And we receive a total of 5 tags, with instructions/airport directions (1 tag per person - where Southwest allows 2 checked bags per person). Received on Feb. 18. Flight leaves Feb. 26.

Thoughts??

Iowamomof4

DIS Veteran
    We are using DME in Feb 26 when we fly into MCO (although we are NOT for our return home). Family of 5. Usually, we receive 2 sets of tags for each person (10 tags total). This time, we only received 5 tags (1 for each person). It so happens that it's not a huge deal this time, since we are UberXL-ing from WDW to PC for our DCL and we need to limit our luggage usage. But is this typical in that longer stays get more tags per person than shorter stays? Or was it bc we never received our tags (even though our TA said she put it in and DME told her they were already sent a while back) and I put in a new request for tags, so they maybe treated it as an "additional" request?

Again, it's not really an issue for this trip. It just seemed odd. We didn't get any a month out. Only got our DCL tags. Got our MBs, which usually have come AFTER DME tags. DME tells TA they were sent a while ago. I put in my own request on evening of Feb. 10. And we receive a total of 5 tags, with instructions/airport directions (1 tag per person - where Southwest allows 2 checked bags per person). Received on Feb. 18. Flight leaves Feb. 26.

Thoughts??
    I think they're only sending one per person now and you can request more if you need them. It does make sense in some ways, since most airlines started charging for checked luggage I expect people are trying to get by with fewer pieces.

kpd6901

DIS Veteran
    I think they're only sending one per person now and you can request more if you need them. It does make sense in some ways, since most airlines started charging for checked luggage I expect people are trying to get by with fewer pieces.
    Yeah, I can see that. Still they should either ask how many you want, get them out earlier so that there is more time to request additional, or at least seeing it is SW, knowing that 2 bags check free per person, send 2 tags per person for SW or other 2 bag airlines (JetBlue??).

Fangorn

DIS Veteran
    Yeah, I can see that. Still they should either ask how many you want, get them out earlier so that there is more time to request additional, or at least seeing it is SW, knowing that 2 bags check free per person, send 2 tags per person for SW or other 2 bag airlines (JetBlue??).
    By default, DME only sends out 1 set of luggage tags per reservation. You can always call them directly at 866 599-0951 and request additional tags. (Note, if you do that, you will receive 2 separate mailings).

That said, I had a conversation with a long time senior service rep at DME several months ago when I set up DME for a trip (I always just call). When I told him we were on SW, he immediately said he'd send 2 sets of tags. He said that while it's not standard procedure, many of the folks at DME do realize that guests traveling on SW can have 2 free bags, and when they see a SW reservation they will automatically send two sets of tags. It doesn't always happen, and you pretty much have to call DME directly (not go through Disney Reservations) for it to happen, but it does happen. Unfortunately, if you fill out the form or go through Disney (which amounts to them filling out the form), a DME rep isn't involved in making the reservation and only the single set of tags will be sent.

Steve

kpd6901

DIS Veteran
    By default, DME only sends out 1 set of luggage tags per reservation. You can always call them directly at 866 599-0951 and request additional tags. (Note, if you do that, you will receive 2 separate mailings).

That said, I had a conversation with a long time senior service rep at DME several months ago when I set up DME for a trip (I always just call). When I told him we were on SW, he immediately said he'd send 2 sets of tags. He said that while it's not standard procedure, many of the folks at DME do realize that guests traveling on SW can have 2 free bags, and when they see a SW reservation they will automatically send two sets of tags. It doesn't always happen, and you pretty much have to call DME directly (not go through Disney Reservations) for it to happen, but it does happen. Unfortunately, if you fill out the form or go through Disney (which amounts to them filling out the form), a DME rep isn't involved in making the reservation and only the single set of tags will be sent.

Steve
    Hmm. Ok. Thanks. We had 2 sets for our last 2 trips automatically sent (June 2015, Nov 2018). No questions. No phone calls. JetBlue in 15, SW in 18. That's why it seemed strange.

AngiTN

DIS Veteran
    Hmm. Ok. Thanks. We had 2 sets for our last 2 trips automatically sent (June 2015, Nov 2018). No questions. No phone calls. JetBlue in 15, SW in 18. That's why it seemed strange.
    It's actually strange/unusual that you got 2 sets automatically ever. We've been flying down 5, 6 times a year for 5 years and not one time did we get 2 sets of tags and over half those flights are on Southwest and quite a few are First Class, which get 2 bags too.
    I rarely worry about it. You just have to give your claim checks to the ME staff and they'll get the bags. Yellow tags are never required.

Alesia

DIS Veteran
    It's actually strange/unusual that you got 2 sets automatically ever. We've been flying down 5, 6 times a year for 5 years and not one time did we get 2 sets of tags and over half those flights are on Southwest and quite a few are First Class, which get 2 bags too.
    I rarely worry about it. You just have to give your claim checks to the ME staff and they'll get the bags. Yellow tags are never required.
    Yep. Disney stopped sending 2 tags per person about a decade ago

Connect

Disney News and Updates

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY EMAIL
    Subscribe and never miss out on Disney News, Deals and Updates.