DME and RAC....FAQs

scjo68

DIS Veteran
My college DD is planning to stay in a DVC grand villa over spring break with friends. One of the friends has parents who are DVC members, and are booking the villa. They are all flying in from different places, and departing different times, etc. My DD is hoping to use ME. I assume all the names will be on the reservation. I am guessing that she will have to give her flight info to the DVC member and they will have to give that info to Disney. Is that right? Am I missing a step?

My DD is old enough and experienced in travel enough to handle this- and has used DME. I am just trying to understand it from the DVC side.

Fangorn

DIS Veteran
Technically, yes. Only the DVC member can make the DME reservation. At least that is what DVC Member Services will say.

The reality is different, however. DME is an independent company (Mears) that is contracted to Disney to provide this service. They truly do no care about that rule and do not enforce it. Anyone can fill out the on-line form to sign up for DME as long as they are on the reservation and know the confirmation number. There is actually a benefit to her doing it herself, in that luggage tags will be sent to her address. If the DVC member does it, there's a fair chance that those tags will end up being sent to them and not directly to your DD.

Your DD can also call DME directly at 866 599-0951 and book it over the phone. Again, all she'll need is the confirmation number of the reservation and her flight info.

Steve

scjo68

DIS Veteran
Technically, yes. Only the DVC member can make the DME reservation. At least that is what DVC Member Services will say.

The reality is different, however. DME is an independent company (Mears) that is contracted to Disney to provide this service. They truly do no care about that rule and do not enforce it. Anyone can fill out the on-line form to sign up for DME as long as they are on the reservation and know the confirmation number. There is actually a benefit to her doing it herself, in that luggage tags will be sent to her address. If the DVC member does it, there's a fair chance that those tags will end up being sent to them and not directly to your DD.

Your DD can also call DME directly at 866 599-0951 and book it over the phone. Again, all she'll need is the confirmation number of the reservation and her flight info.

Steve
Thank you!
I will suggest she call to book herself.

• OKWFan88

Mouseketeer
    If booked last min trip at Disney resort and online you can't add the transportation, can you just show up to use the bus or do you really need a reservation?

AngiTN

DIS Veteran
    If booked last min trip at Disney resort and online you can't add the transportation, can you just show up to use the bus or do you really need a reservation?
    You should make a reservation. Use the online form

kaytieeldr

DIS Veteran
    If by last minute you mean anything other than you've already arrived at MCO with no arrangements to get to your resort, there is no reason (or excuse, really) NOT to make a reservation.

OKWFan88

Mouseketeer
    I will look for the online form. What I was referring to is you book a reservation and there is no option to add the DME because it's less than three days from check in per the Disney website when you make an online reservation.

• lorenae

I'm going to Disney World!
    I will look for the online form. What I was referring to is you book a reservation and there is no option to add the DME because it's less than three days from check in per the Disney website when you make an online reservation.
    I’d call them today and give them the flight numbers. You’ll have to grab your own luggage since you won’t have luggage tags, but they’ll know to expect you.

AngiTN

DIS Veteran
    I’d call them today and give them the flight numbers. You’ll have to grab your own luggage since you won’t have luggage tags, but they’ll know to expect you.
    You don't HAVE to collect your bags.
    You can give ME your claim checks.
    The confirmation email will explain all of this

snip of the applicable section from mine from just last week (bold is mine)

Upon Arrival
    Take the train from your gate to the main terminal; you will arrive on Level 3. Follow the airport signs to Disney's Magical Express which is located in Terminal B, Level 1 of the Orlando International Airport.

If you would like to participate in the luggage delivery service that is available for flights arriving between 5:00 am and 10:00 pm, please bypass baggage claim and present your airline baggage claim numbers to the Disney’s Magical Express Representative.

· If you participate in the luggage delivery service, your luggage will be collected from your airline and travel separately to your Disney Resort hotel.
    · If you prefer not to utilize our luggage delivery service, please collect your luggage from baggage claim and bring it with you to Disney’s Magical Express where it will accompany you on the motorcoach.
    · Luggage that is untagged, can only be collected by Disney’s Magical Express after you have provided the airline baggage claim numbers upon arrival. Luggage delivery generally takes up to three hours after you arrive at your Disney Resort hotel to be delivered to your room: untagged luggage may take an additional two to three hours.

AngiTN

DIS Veteran
    You can add it during "change reservation" also. I just did it for an arrival next day.
    This is the online link

rgumidrop

Earning My Ears
    Southwest changed our flights and now getting in way later than expected so thinking of staying at the airport hotel a night before our actual reservations
    So my question is this: Can we leave our luggage on the luggage carousel and have DME pick it up the following day when we actually will use DME to get to our resort?
    TIA

• kaytieeldr

DIS Veteran
    Southwest changed our flights and now getting in way later than expected so thinking of staying at the airport hotel a night before our actual reservations
    So my question is this: Can we leave our luggage on the luggage carousel and have DME pick it up the following day when we actually will use DME to get to our resort?
    TIA
    No! No, no, no, no, no, no, no! A thousand times (more) NO!

maxiesmom

The Mean Squinty Eye Works
    TIA
    No. For one thing, it won't be left for DME to find--it will be picked up and placed in back as unclaimed luggage. For another, how long are you willing to leave your things going around, without anyone knowing who they actually belong to? Super easy for someone else to grab your stuff and go, because who is going to be there to stop them?

If you decide to stay at the airport hotel you need to get your bags and then take them down to the Magical Express bus with you the next day.

rgumidrop

Earning My Ears
    Thanks I was just looking for an easy out as my mom has severe mobility issues but I will get a cart (which I hadn't thought of until now) but we can still catch DME to our resort correct?

Alesia

DIS Veteran
    TIA
    No. It will go around on the carrousel until either someone steals it or it ends up in the abandoned luggage office

maxiesmom

Thanks I was just looking for an easy out as my mom has severe mobility issues but I will get a cart (which I hadn't thought of until now) but we can still catch DME to our resort correct?
    Yes. You may want to leave your mom up in the main area of the airport, because you will need to go down a level to pick up you luggage, and then back up to the hotel level. You will also need to take it with you in the morning down to the Magical Express bus. They will store it under the bus, and give it to you when you get to your resort. It is customary to tip the driver for handling your bags, as well as anyone else who may help you with them along the way.

kpd6901

DIS Veteran
    So, here's a good question. We are family of 5, planning June 2021 - probably about 8 days or so. Have done DME 3 times. Have also done DL in CA last June - there is no equivalent to DME re: transportation or luggage transfer. So, we are planning WDW June 2021, but there is a real possibility that I may need to travel to Anaheim for business for 3-4 days prior to our planned WDW trip. We fly Southwest. So, if I do need to go to Anaheim, we are thinking of bringing everyone along, and doing a coast-to-coast Disney trip. Spend about 3 days at DL (well, me for 1 and an evening, but the other 4 in our family for the entire 3 days); then fly cross country from Anaheim to MCO for about 8 days at WDW. Here's our dilemma. We don't need our WDW clothes with us in CA. Getting from either LAX or SNA would require hiring a transportation company or an Uber, and I think the transportation company just stopped doing transfers from LAX to Anaheim hotels. So, what is the suggestion for splitting our luggage into CA-needed bags and WDW-needed bags. We would have our DME tags for the WDW reservation. Could/Should we just tag our WDW luggage when we leave Baltimore and have them sitting/delivered via DME to AoA, and they sit there until we arrive a few days later using our other DME tags? Does that make sense? There's no need at all for us to bring ALL our luggage to CA, but if we did, that's a big expense, since there is no longer the SuperShuttle service OR the Disneyland Express.

So, I was hoping we could:
    1) fly from Baltimore to SoCal with our DL-bound luggage and send our WDW-bound luggage via DME
    2) spend about 3 days in SoCal
    3) fly from SoCal to WDW with our recently used luggage via DME
    4) arrive at MCO, ride DME, arrive at AoA, pick up our earlier luggage from bell services, and expect our "new" luggage group to arrive at some point later in the day.

Is this remotely possible? And if not, what suggestions do you guys have to not have to lug so much additional luggage unnecessarily for 2 cross-country trips. I mean, about 70% of our luggage won't be needed until we arrive at MCO.

Thanks!!

kaytieeldr

DIS Veteran
    Could/Should we just tag our WDW luggage when we leave Baltimore and have them sitting/delivered via DME to AoA
    Oh my goodness, NO! I'm relatively certain the airline (whether counter or curbside) will tag your luggage only for your immediate destination. You could attach as many DME tags as you can get, but your luggage will still be tagged for and sent to, in this case Anaheim/LAX.

You could ship your WDW clothes to WDW, but that might not be cheaper than extra luggage. And you'd have to ship it home, too, because you will be traveling witnout sufficient luggage space.

Or you could pavk two outfits for DL and 3-4 for WDW, and do laundry as needed.

maxiesmom

So, here's a good question. We are family of 5, planning June 2021 - probably about 8 days or so. Have done DME 3 times. Have also done DL in CA last June - there is no equivalent to DME re: transportation or luggage transfer. So, we are planning WDW June 2021, but there is a real possibility that I may need to travel to Anaheim for business for 3-4 days prior to our planned WDW trip. We fly Southwest. So, if I do need to go to Anaheim, we are thinking of bringing everyone along, and doing a coast-to-coast Disney trip. Spend about 3 days at DL (well, me for 1 and an evening, but the other 4 in our family for the entire 3 days); then fly cross country from Anaheim to MCO for about 8 days at WDW. Here's our dilemma. We don't need our WDW clothes with us in CA. Getting from either LAX or SNA would require hiring a transportation company or an Uber, and I think the transportation company just stopped doing transfers from LAX to Anaheim hotels. So, what is the suggestion for splitting our luggage into CA-needed bags and WDW-needed bags. We would have our DME tags for the WDW reservation. Could/Should we just tag our WDW luggage when we leave Baltimore and have them sitting/delivered via DME to AoA, and they sit there until we arrive a few days later using our other DME tags? Does that make sense? There's no need at all for us to bring ALL our luggage to CA, but if we did, that's a big expense, since there is no longer the SuperShuttle service OR the Disneyland Express.

So, I was hoping we could:
    1) fly from Baltimore to SoCal with our DL-bound luggage and send our WDW-bound luggage via DME
    2) spend about 3 days in SoCal
    3) fly from SoCal to WDW with our recently used luggage via DME
    4) arrive at MCO, ride DME, arrive at AoA, pick up our earlier luggage from bell services, and expect our "new" luggage group to arrive at some point later in the day.

Is this remotely possible? And if not, what suggestions do you guys have to not have to lug so much additional luggage unnecessarily for 2 cross-country trips. I mean, about 70% of our luggage won't be needed until we arrive at MCO.

Thanks!!
    I hate to tell you, but there is no great, inexpensive way to take only your DL bags with you and send your WDW bags ahead.

You will either have to ship clothes ahead and have them held (not by DME) which will cost a bit. Or figure out a way to use the same clothes for both trips.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY EMAIL
    Subscribe and never miss out on Disney News, Deals and Updates.